If the Mavericks win the NBA Finals...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShowdownKB8
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: If the Mavericks win the NBA Finals...

The Dallas Mavericks lead the Miami Heat 2-0 in the NBA Finals. The way the games have been played, it looks like Dallas will win the series (your pick 7 games, 6, 5, or sweep). More importantly, what will the talk around the league be regarding our old friend Shaq, Wade, and Kobe be? Will pundits admit that Shaq couldn't win a title w/o Kobe? That Wade isn't better than Kobe after all? That no way in hell Kobe would let this team (replace Wade w/ Kobe) lose to these Mavericks? We all know that Shaq can carry a team to the playoffs, but we all know he needed an all star guard to win in the playoffs. Could it be that Wade is more Penny than Kobe? Finally, when the Heat lose (not a matter of if at this point), at what point will Shaq call Wade selfish, ballhog, needs to pass more (insert more Big Aristotle lines) ?
unpossibl1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:

It's far to early to call the series over, especially with 3 games in a row in Miami. Dallas is in a good spot, but I am not comfortable proclaiming them the champs just yet. I want Dallas to win so badly, let's not jinx it.

As for whether there will be anti-Shaq articles and such, I kinda doubt it will be a big impact. If the Heat failed to get out of the first round, then yeah. They are in the finals though, with a shot at a championship. That's what Miami wanted when they got Shaq, the chance to win a championship. This Shaq probably isn't enough to win the title, but they go there, so I don't think the media will come down on him too much.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Mavs are playing great. I thought Shaq will have a field day... but as I turned out, he has been struggling the first 2 games.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Mavs are playing great. I thought Shaq will have a field day... but as it turned out, he has been struggling the first 2 games.
jjigga3000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't matter what they write. Wade is not as good as Kobe, and Shaq is just not as young anymore. If it were the Shaq of 1999-2004, and I saying this. The Mavs would be having a much harder time. Don't get me wrong, I want the Mavs to win, but it's hard to really judge, the series based on this. Shaq can't turn it on like he thinks he can and The Mavs will win. If the Heat don't win the first game in Miami, count this series over, there is no way Miami will win 4 in a row.
BraveHeartII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

This game may have justified every reason for Buss trading Shaq. I've never seen one guy affected his own team, in a negative way, like Shaq does. When Shaq missed those free throws so badly in the first quarter, he rattled his entire team!!! You could tell his team were affected by the rest of the first quarter. Wade didn't know whether to throw him the ball(even though the Mavs were in the penalty) or finish the play himself.

And of course, Shaq himself was clearly affected. Notice how on the lob, he tried to lean his body away from the defender and tried to slam it in quickly, instead of catching it and bring it back down with both hands, obviously, for fear of getting foul if he tried to go back up. Or when he catched the ball in the post, tried to get it away as quickly as possible, and when he was single-teamed, he prefered to fade from the baseline(resulted in a travel), instead of making an aggressive move toward the middle.

To top it off, in the third quarter, Shaq was shooting a fadeaway, even though he was right underneath the basket!!!(he was at that spot where he can just shrug off all the defenders and slam it with one or two hand). He also rushed a couple of other shots during the third, but at that point, it was over. The play above was pretty much for comedic value.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:

What ever is said is irrelavant. If Miami loses this season, Shaq has 3 more years to win a title. If he doesnt, Shaq will go down as 3 time world Champion with Kobe Bryant. Not Penny, not Wade. And if Kobe wins a title, well, you know what will be said.....

Personally, I think Kobe will be a 20 year NBA player, and have 6 or 7 titles before its all said and done......
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:

BraveHeartII wrote:
This game may have justified every reason for Buss trading Shaq. I've never seen one guy affected his own team, in a negative way, like Shaq does. When Shaq missed those free throws so badly in the first quarter, he rattled his entire team!!! You could tell his team were affected by the rest of the first quarter. Wade didn't know whether to throw him the ball(even though the Mavs were in the penalty) or finish the play himself.

And of course, Shaq himself was clearly affected. Notice how on the lob, he tried to lean his body away from the defender and tried to slam it in quickly, instead of catching it and bring it back down with both hands, obviously, for fear of getting foul if he tried to go back up. Or when he catched the ball in the post, tried to get it away as quickly as possible, and when he was single-teamed, he prefered to fade from the baseline(resulted in a travel), instead of making an aggressive move toward the middle.

To top it off, in the third quarter, Shaq was shooting a fadeaway, even though he was right underneath the basket!!!(he was at that spot where he can just shrug off all the defenders and slam it with one or two hand). He also rushed a couple of other shots during the third, but at that point, it was over. The play above was pretty much for comedic value.

Excellent point. What use to work for Shaq in a positive way a few years ago is now completely negative. Back in the day, I use to say a monster dunk by Shaq wasnt worth 2 points, i would say it was worth more like 4 or 5 points because the players guarding him towards theend of the game start feeling beat up and useless. It would also pump up the laker team so much, they shot freeling and confident. Heat must win game 3, other wise its a clean sweep. If they win game 3, I still say Mavs in 6........
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

BraveHeartII wrote:

Mos def.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:

All 4 games the Mavs and Heat have played this year have been a double-digit win for the Mavs. I'm lovin' it!

"They are in the finals though, with a shot at a championship. That's what Miami wanted when they got Shaq, the chance to win a championship. "

No, that's not what Miami wanted and expected to get when they signed Shaq. They were expecting and Shaq promised and NBA Championship. A career low of 5 points tonight and 2-16 (or 18 if you count the 2 do-overs he was given in gm.1) from the charity stripe over 2 games...what's gonna be the Big Blowhard's excuse now??

I just saw the stat from another LG poster: Shaq's FT % this series..12.5%

Last edited by hig on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMagicalLakerLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:

They should admit Shaq can't win without Kobe and Kobe is a better player, but will they? No way in Hell
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Don't feel sorry for Shaq at the FT line. Remember when he had the FT coach, he was actully shooting around 60% from the line that season. What happened? He fired the guy and said he doesn't need him. Ever since then, his % has been going down. I guess when you're ONLY making 20-30 million a year, you've got to cut corners and save a little here and there. Maybe he should start clipping coupons and use the savings to rehire the shooting coach.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"They are in the finals though, with a shot at a championship. That's what Miami wanted when they got Shaq, the chance to win a championship. "

No Mickey Arson and Pat Riley are expecting a championship or two.Even the first day when Shaq arrived in south beach they had a parade for him giving him the city key and Shaq was saying how I'm going to bring a championship to the city soon.Also all the players like GP, Antoine Walker, Zo, Jason Williams all sigend with the Heat this year thinking they can ride Shaq and DWade's coatails and win a championship.

I've said this before and I'll say it again this years Heat team reminds me of the 2003-2004 Lakers that had a bunch of talent with GP, Mailman, Shaq, and Kobe that in the end came up short and ran into a more hungrier team in the Finals.

I wonder what Shaq's excuses are going to be after he loses in the Finals this year.Last year after the Heat came up short in game 7 against the Pistons in the ECF he was crying and (bleep) saying he didnt get the ball enough, Dwade got injured and then mid way through this season he managed to (bleep) enough to get Stan Van Gundy to quit.It's like he uses the same excuses when he loses.Like tonight before game 2 he was complaining to the press saying the the Mavs big men were flopping.Back in the 04 NBA Finals he was complaining saying Kobe was taking to many shots and he wasnt geting fed the ball.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:

My question is where did Desango Diop learn to play defense like that?

What a steal, I mean they got him for NOTHING
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
Quote:

No Mickey Arson and Pat Riley are expecting a championship or two.Even the first day when Shaq arrived in south beach they had a parade for him giving him the city key and Shaq was saying how I'm going to bring a championship to the city soon.Also all the players like GP, Antoine Walker, Zo, Jason Williams all sigend with the Heat this year thinking they can ride Shaq and DWade's coatails and win a championship.

I've said this before and I'll say it again this years Heat team reminds me of the 2003-2004 Lakers that had a bunch of talent with GP, Mailman, Shaq, and Kobe that in the end came up short and ran into a more hungrier team in the Finals.

I wonder what Shaq's excuses are going to be after he loses in the Finals this year.Last year after the Heat came up short in game 7 against the Pistons in the ECF he was crying and (bleep) saying he didnt get the ball enough, Dwade got injured and then mid way through this season he managed to (bleep) enough to get Stan Van Gundy to quit.It's like he uses the same excuses when he loses.Like tonight before game 2 he was complaining to the press saying the the Mavs big men were flopping.Back in the 04 NBA Finals he was complaining saying Kobe was taking to many shots and he wasnt geting fed the ball.

Shaq is like a little kid. Its always someone elses fault when something happens, never takes responsibility for his actions. He's an adult who never learned an important lesson in life and its showing , and the third time is the charm, as everyone now will look back and see its a trend. That is if, he complains if they loose the finals.
BraveHeartII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject:

If Shaq was a summer league player, he probably would have already been cut. A summer league player will probably give you a -2, in comparison to an average player, but with the way Shaq's shooting free throws, he's already at least a -6 or -7, now even if he put up 20 and 10(although if he misses that many free throws, I don't know how he can average 20 points), he would still not be able to make that up(keep in mind, just because Shaq averages 20 and 10, doesn't mean that the team will be missing him by that much without him, because the replacements will always replace that to an extent, that's why teams like the Hawks, Jazz averages 90, without a superstar). If he averages 20 and 10 even by missing that many free throws, he must have had a lot of chances, which means his efficiency would be very low.

The Heat probably would have had a better chance to win if Zo started.
Hap4n
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

I really think Zo has a chance to start over shaq next year.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Mavericks win the NBA Finals...

ShowdownKB8 wrote:
If the Mavericks win the NBA Finals...

Then I treasure Shat's reaction on TV with a stupified look on his face.
alcstarheel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject:

unpossibl1 wrote:
It's far to early to call the series over, especially with 3 games in a row in Miami. Dallas is in a good spot, but I am not comfortable proclaiming them the champs just yet. I want Dallas to win so badly, let's not jinx it.

But no home team has won the middle three games, I don't see a team like Miami being able to do that. It's not so much calling the series over as showing how hard is is to come back from 2-0 deficit in the Finals. Only 2 out of 27 have done it.

ALCS

OTR - One Ball. One Board.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject:

One thing is for sure. No way in hell would Kobe have scored 18 points when Snaq only scored 5!

Kobe would have put up 60 if they were so focued on Snaq. That's why the Lakers won three in a row. Double Snaq and Kobe drops 60, double Kobe and Snaq drops 60 (except against the Pistons fat ass).

This ends any chance of anyone ever saying Wade is as good as or better than Kobe. Even if a miracle happens and the Heat win the series. Everyone now knows Kobe>>>>>>>>>Wade.

But of course we all knew that anyway.

Hooray Mitch!!!!
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject:

alcstarheel wrote:
unpossibl1 wrote:

But no home team has won the middle three games, I don't see a team like Miami being able to do that. It's not so much calling the series over as showing how hard is is to come back from 2-0 deficit in the Finals. Only 2 out of 27 have done it.

ALCS

Detroit 2004
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject:

If Miami gets swept, the reporters in this town may have to finally remove their tails from between their legs and actually write something critical about the big judas. That means you, JA Adande.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
Quote:

This Miami team has a lot more talent than did that LA team, even though Shaq was beginning to fade even then. And I STILL think we would have won that series if Man Malone hadn't gotten injured. But they are a far cry better, 2 - 12, than we were in 2004.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject:

jjigga3000 wrote:
It doesn't matter what they write. Wade is not as good as Kobe, and Shaq is just not as young anymore. If it were the Shaq of 1999-2004, and I saying this. The Mavs would be having a much harder time. Don't get me wrong, I want the Mavs to win, but it's hard to really judge, the series based on this. Shaq can't turn it on like he thinks he can and The Mavs will win. If the Heat don't win the first game in Miami, count this series over, there is no way Miami will win 4 in a row.

Excellent post. I think the "Shaq couldn't have won without Kobe or Kobe can't win without Shaq" argument is really overblown. Both are great players and I don't think either could carry a team to a title alone (hell, who can). The Shaq today is obviously not the Shaq of 99-04. Kobe has obviously shown that he is good enough to win with another great big man (like Duncan).

Wade is definately below Kobe though. He needs to get a consistent jumpshot.
CheetahMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject:

TheMagicalLakerLegend wrote:
They should admit Shaq can't win without Kobe and Kobe is a better player, but will they? No way in Hell

After the Finals or within three years. That's when Dwyane Wade leaves Miami.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: