A shell of a Shaq
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: A shell of a Shaq

A shell of a Shaq

By Dan Wetzel

DALLAS – When the Miami Heat actually get around to passing the ball to Shaquille O'Neal, not much happens. There is usually a quick double team, or a plodding post move that no longer scares anyone, or a hack that sends the big guy to the line for some further embarrassment.

Shaquille O'Neal, who's playing in his sixth NBA Finals appearance with his third team and trying to secure his legacy as one of the greatest of all time, is struggling mightily. It's a sign, perhaps, that he is officially a shell of his former dominating, domineering self.

This was supposed to be a career capper for O'Neal – his last best chance at another title – just two seasons after leaving Los Angeles and guaranteeing he would lift Miami to the top. But on Sunday, he spent the second half on the bench, brooding over another non-factor night (just five points on 2-for-5 shooting and a mere six rebounds) while the Heat went small in a futile comeback attempt.

Dallas, not surprisingly, cruised to a 99-85 victory to take a 2-0 series lead.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

Bet you he wishes he had Kobe to help him carry the load now. Wade can't do it the way Kobe can. He may get there, but he needs a jumper and some more experience.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Two years ago, not long after Shaq fled LA for Miami, Dampier signed a big deal in Dallas and immediately declared himself the second-best center in the league. O'Neal responded by renaming Dampier "Erica," then got a little extra mileage out of the gag by insisting the only place Dampier would be a dominant center was in the WNBA. And when an injury in the playoffs last year limited his effectiveness, he couldn't resist telling reporters he was "playing like Erick Dampier."

Shaq should be so lucky. Out of shape or patience, or maybe both, he was outplayed by Dampier everywhere on the court and across the stat line. As promised, the Heat pounded the ball down into O'Neal in the post on their opening possession and he dropped in a nifty layup. But the Mavericks settled into essentially the same defense as in Game 1, doubling and tripling O'Neal on every subsequent touch, forcing him to pass the ball out of the post and daring his supporting cast, again, to beat them.

Article here
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Quote:
Two years ago, not long after Shaq fled LA for Miami, Dampier signed a big deal in Dallas and immediately declared himself the second-best center in the league. O'Neal responded by renaming Dampier "Erica," then got a little extra mileage out of the gag by insisting the only place Dampier would be a dominant center was in the WNBA. And when an injury in the playoffs last year limited his effectiveness, he couldn't resist telling reporters he was "playing like Erick Dampier."

Shaq should be so lucky. Out of shape or patience, or maybe both, he was outplayed by Dampier everywhere on the court and across the stat line. As promised, the Heat pounded the ball down into O'Neal in the post on their opening possession and he dropped in a nifty layup. But the Mavericks settled into essentially the same defense as in Game 1, doubling and tripling O'Neal on every subsequent touch, forcing him to pass the ball out of the post and daring his supporting cast, again, to beat them.

Article here

Stupid poetic justice.</homersimpson>
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

Shaquille O'Neal Goes From Dominant to Dormant: Scott Soshnick

June 12 (Bloomberg) -- Just the other day Shaquille O'Neal said he hasn't contemplated retirement.

He should start.

This is the man who said that above-average isn't good enough, who prides himself on being the most-dominant player in the National Basketball Association. Only best-of-the-best will do.

Shaq, 34, spoke of being other worldly the other day. A freak of nature, were his words.

``You've never seen anyone this big, this sexy, move this way,'' he said, repeating a riff he used years ago.

Though his mouth still boasts of greatness, Shaq's play says something else entirely.

The Dallas Mavericks are running circles past the Heat. The Mavericks are dunking over them, embarrassing them. Shaq used to be the one doling out humiliation. Now he's on the receiving end. He's the dejected face on the bench.

Article Here
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Zhengi, I can't read any of your posts w/o getting distracted by your avatar.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

I actually have a small bit of sympathy for the guy. To get to it, you have to look underneath the large amounts of joy and satisfaction, but at least it's there.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
I actually have a small bit of sympathy for the guy. To get to it, you have to look underneath the large amounts of joy and satisfaction, but at least it's there.

None for me at all.

He needs this humiliation. He needs to know that he can't be a lazy fatass for his entire career and not face the consequences for it.

And he also needs to appreciate what Kobe brought to the table.

Until he has all of these realizations, I'll hate the guy. If he comes across with all of these realizations sincerely to someone in the media, he'll be back in my Laker heart.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:

jwbrown77 wrote:
NoMoreGame7s wrote:

None for me at all.

He needs this humiliation. He needs to know that he can't be a lazy fatass for his entire career and not face the consequences for it.

Until he has all of these realizations, I'll hate the guy. If he comes across with all of these realizations sincerely to someone in the media, he'll be back in my Laker heart.

Can't argue with that. I still feel just a bit sorry for the guy, though. Then again, I felt sorry for Saddam for a hot second when I saw the pictures of his capture, and I felt sorry for that popowapu dude because it seemed like he really thought he could sing.

XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:

Taken from article:

``We have to find a way to get our big guy more dominant,'' Wade said.

Allow me to suggest a time machine.

LOL that's just classic!
PamelaBridgette
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

Boy, I admit, when he was looking pathetic on the bench, I felt sorry for a minute too. Then I thought, when he left and dissed LA, when he blamed Kobe for his leaving and allowed the haters to rain on my pain - when he knew the truth and continued to encourage the barrage well . . . . . . . . . .

THEN I WAS CURED!
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

I hear ya, Pamela. Welcome to the boards.

The funniest line out of any of those articles was Riley saying that Shaq's gonna work on his jumphook, and that it will improve. That killed me. Wow. Talk about denial. When was the last time Shaq worked on ANYTHING other than a cheeseburger, a movie, or a charity appearance?

PamelaBridgette
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the Welcome! I'm listening to Charles Barkley as we speak and he has NOT ONE WORD NEGATIVE WORD TO SAY ABOUT SHAQ. (It is not just about him getting the ball, where is Shaq's quick move.) Charles is blaming everyone else on the team - wish he had given the same free pass to Kobe.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

^^No doubt!

tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:

He blamed Kobe for the 3 shots he took, but didn't say a single word about 5 shots in a game? Good one Charles.

But I like that Forbes piece. It stated that he "fled LA." In other words, opinion is changing in this world, and is focusing more like it was Shaq who demanded the trade.
PamelaBridgette
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:

Not a word. Didn't even start with the diminishing skill that everyone is talking about. However, he was about to put Kobe in the same league as D-wayde and Paul Pierce and immediately corrected himself by saying that Kobe is the best and separated him from those two. Glad Kobe stood up for himself in text and on TNT, because the Charles I've had to endure over the last couple of years would have NEVER said that. So as a forgiving fan, Charles will get .5 point for that.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Put me in the "I have no sympathy for Shaq" camp. I am loving every minute of this. It would only get better if the Mavs go on to rout them again in Game 3 and send a clear message that Shaq is finished. My hope is that Shaq gets too upset and blames Wade for something, just so that there can be something to start the rift between those two. Admittedly this would be more likely to occur if Shaq played well and Wade did not, but if Shaq has a number of embarrasing performances like he had in Game 2 then surely he'll have to find someone to blame for it (since he'll never shoulder that himself), and maybe he'll say the offense should have run through him more or something like that. Maybe Wade will be a little too harsh of Shaq, who knows. I just want to see those two fighting and have a full meltdown in Miami so that people will clearly see that it's Shaq who causes the problems everywhere he goes. My feelings of revenge towards Shaq will fully be complete when he causes Wade to sign elsewhere as a free agent in 2008 and Shaq decides to pack it in and end his career early due to an "injury".

I can't wait for the inevitable Xmas game between the Lakers and Heat at Staples this year

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:
NoMoreGame7s wrote:

None for me at all.

Can't argue with that. I still feel just a bit sorry for the guy, though. Then again, I felt sorry for Saddam for a hot second when I saw the pictures of his capture, and I felt sorry for that popowapu dude because it seemed like he really thought he could sing.

32tapout
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Come on guys, $30 million buys you 6 points and 5 rebounds in a Finals Game. I hope he remembers what he yelled on the court at Dr. Buss 2 years ago that justifies the huge extension he wanted. Hard to believe this is the same Shaq we just saw in the 3-Peat run on ESPN Classic yesterday.

Mr. NBA Logo on 6/24/05 on Spurs fans seeking validation from Laker fans.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

"I mean, they doubled him every single time he caught the ball," Miami coach Pat Riley said.

Welcome to Kobe's life, except he doesn't quit and pout about it.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
"I mean, they doubled him every single time he caught the ball," Miami coach Pat Riley said.

Wake me up when it's a triple team.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Wake me up when it's a triple team.

Shaq's been getting doubled and tripled his whole career. Shaq's been getting sagged on by 2 and 3 guys since they started the zone defense whether he had the ball or not. What's so different now?? Why is it an issue now??

Because he doesn't have Kobe anymore to work the ball in to him.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:

The Mavs are doing a great job on double teaming him. The Pistons were stupid and only had single coverage with Big Ben or Sheed on him. Ben didn't look all that big during that series (except that wonderful block). Flip coached that great team into the ground. Avery is proving to be a fantastic coach. His adjustments are superb and working out well. Having Dirk rotate onto Shaq was a great idea. Having two seven footers (Diop or Damp + Dirk) on Shaq limits his presence in the post and forces him to make more difficult passes to Walker who jacks up another ill advised 3. You gotta credit Avery for coaching great, but Shaq shouldn't look this bad. He should be playing better, but he ain't. He isn't the same anymore. Makes our trade look great now doesnt it. 8)
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Heisler from the LA Times was saying the same stuff as well, that it's not Shaq's fault, and that Wade is the guy who really cost the Heat the game, etc... Wade isn't taking advantage of them doubling Shaq, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that Shaq only could get 5 points on 5 shots, and it doesn't excuse Shaq sitting out half the game even though he only had 1 foul. It also doesn't excuse Shaq only getting 6 rebounds and no blocks. It's Shaq's typical effort, where if he isn't scoring, he won't try on the other end, or in his words "If the big dog isn't fed, he won't protect the yard." If Dallas's plan is to just focus on Shaq, then he needs to hit his open teammates and focus most of his energy on the defensive end of the floor, but of course, he's not going to do that.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I want to know what Miami does if Mourning walks. He's their 2nd best player in this series.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: