Anyone have a Beagle?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tek9Designs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Anyone have a Beagle?

Thinking about getting a new dog, and I'm liking a Beagle as my first choice. My concerns are that I've read they can be hard to train (potty train), can be loud (barking/baying), and require a lot of exercise. Does anyone have a Beagle that works realistic hours and has only a smaller yard for it to play in? Any other advice? Thanks

http://view.ipixmedia.com/abc/cityxpress/s27_a10279464/i-2.jpg
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject:

Is beagle short for bald eagle?
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

Beagles are high energy and need lots of exercise.

All dogs are pack animals and require constant companionship. If you schedule requires you to be gone for 9 hours a day and you are planning on leaving the dog alone, don't do it. That's like solitary confinement for humans. Either get 2 dogs to keep each other company or get a cat, they could careless about being left alone.

Plan on walking twice a day for 20 minutes. This goes for most dogs, not just beagles. Again, if you can't do this, get a cat, they don't need walks.

Beagles are hounds and will go after most critters smaller than them including cats, birds, etc..

All dogs are born 'potty trained' once they gain control of their bladder. Their instinct is to go as far away as possible from the den (where they sleep) as possible. Problems start when they are forced to go in their den such as when they are stuck in a kennel, pound or house. An easy fix is to leave them outside (weather permitting) for a week, problem solved.

Don't get hung up on the looks of a dog, 'cute' wheres off real fast. This is a 15 year commitment.

First place to consider getting a companion from is a rescue. They typically have the dogs longer and know more about their personalities.

Make sure you can go to where the companion is. Never, ever allow them to bring the dog to you, to meet you somewhere, without you knowing where these people are from. If they won't let you come to where the dog is, that's a BIG WARNING sign. There is a huge problem with sick and diseased pups being brought in from Mexico.

Make sure the dog has it's shots for distemper, parvo, etc.. These diseases are highly contagious. If you get a pup they need a series of these shots.

More beagle info: http://dogbreedinfo.com/beagle.htm

Check my location so you know who I am.

Good luck.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have a Beagle?

Tek9Designs wrote:
Thinking about getting a new dog, and I'm liking a Beagle as my first choice. My concerns are that I've read they can be hard to train (potty train), can be loud (barking/baying), and require a lot of exercise. Does anyone have a Beagle that works realistic hours and has only a smaller yard for it to play in? Any other advice? Thanks

http://view.ipixmedia.com/abc/cityxpress/s27_a10279464/i-2.jpg

I had a beagle puppy for about six months before we realized that living in a small place and being busy all day isnt fair to the dog. They require a lot of exercise, are good barkers, and its really tought to potty train when youre gone from 9-5 during the day. They are by far one of the most adorable puppies but I would go with lower matinence dog if I were you.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

All dogs are pack animals and require constant companionship. If you schedule requires you to be gone for 9 hours a day and you are planning on leaving the dog alone, don't do it. That's like solitary confinement for humans. Either get 2 dogs to keep each other company or get a cat, they could careless about being left alone.

Plan on walking twice a day for 20 minutes. This goes for most dogs, not just beagles. Again, if you can't do this, get a cat, they don't need walks.

Beagles are hounds and will go after most critters smaller than them including cats, birds, etc..

All dogs are born 'potty trained' once they gain control of their bladder. Their instinct is to go as far away as possible from the den (where they sleep) as possible. Problems start when they are forced to go in their den such as when they are stuck in a kennel, pound or house. An easy fix is to leave them outside (weather permitting) for a week, problem solved.

Don't get hung up on the looks of a dog, 'cute' wheres off real fast. This is a 15 year commitment.

First place to consider getting a companion from is a rescue. They typically have the dogs longer and know more about their personalities.

Make sure you can go to where the companion is. Never, ever allow them to bring the dog to you, to meet you somewhere, without you knowing where these people are from. If they won't let you come to where the dog is, that's a BIG WARNING sign. There is a huge problem with sick and diseased pups being brought in from Mexico.

Make sure the dog has it's shots for distemper, parvo, etc.. These diseases are highly contagious. If you get a pup they need a series of these shots.

Good luck.

Cesar Milan? Best show ever if its you.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

Nope, not Cesar, he is L.A., I am Riverside.

When I said check my location and just wanted him to know I was a rescue.

Here's apic of part of my pack:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/tomanystraydogs/critters/Pb070006.jpg
tortuga
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
Is beagle short for bald eagle?

Not quite but it sure doesn't look like Snoopy though.
Tek9Designs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

Good luck.

Thanks for the great help. I can't even consider a cat, I'm allergic to them.

My room is in the back of my house, so there would be a doggy door to the backyard, letting the dog come and go as he pleases.

I typically go to school for about 16 hours a week, and work about 15 hours a week.

I really only am considering a puppy because while yes its cute, I want to train it as a puppy and watch it grow.

The reasons why I am considering a beagle is because its a smaller sized dog, and from what I have researched it doesn't shed heavily, requiring fairly little grooming. Like I've said, the main questions I have are in regards to its barking and any extroadinary exercise requirements.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

Tek9Designs wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Good luck.

Thanks for the great help. I can't even consider a cat, I'm allergic to them.

My room is in the back of my house, so there would be a doggy door to the backyard, letting the dog come and go as he pleases.

I typically go to school for about 16 hours a week, and work about 15 hours a week.

I really only am considering a puppy because while yes its cute, I want to train it as a puppy and watch it grow.

The reasons why I am considering a beagle is because its a smaller sized dog, and from what I have researched it doesn't shed heavily, requiring fairly little grooming. Like I've said, the main questions I have are in regards to its barking and any extroadinary exercise requirements.

Just a tip, my parents recently got a pomeranian and he seems to be the perfect house dog. He doesnt really shed but hes still only 6 monts so he might grow more hair. No real bark, just a little guy bark, thats one thing I really remember about my beagle. He had the loudest cry/whine of any dog Ive ever heard. If he wasnt happy the whole building was going to know about it. Good luck w/whatever choice you make, itll be fun no matter what.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: