World Cup Soccer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: World Cup Soccer

Hey, I am American, don't expect me to call it Football.

Because it isn't!

But the World Cup is very interesting, I love to watch any sport played on it's highest level and if you watch these games, there is little doubt these guys are ultra talented and going all out.

Brazil is of course my favorite after my beloved USA squad, I also love the way the African teams play and I have a soft spot for the Dutch due to a friendly foreign lass when I was just 19.

But I digress. The World Cup is pretty special, it is a great event. Thoughts?
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject:

GO KOREA!!
LakersGirl4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject:

I have a friend who is actually there. He and his brother have tickets to all three USA games.

Lucky them!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:

The Italians played like crap. I wish they had outright lost, bunch of pansy-ass cheapshot bastards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
#8kobe#24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:

portugal will win it of course.
deco, figo and cristiano ronaldo will take us to the promiss land
Kobe_Please_Stay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:

OLeh, Oleh, Oleh, Olah!!!!

Football is a beautiful sport...Wish it was as intense over here as it is over sea's...

Still love my Lakers more though...
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

did any of you see koreans in staples center on the news?

it was crazy...20k fans for korea packed it and they were loud! even had bangers like the lakers give out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Im Brazilian, and I dont like Soccer, how controversial is that?
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I love watching the World Cup! These games are amazing (except for the pathetic display shown by the Italians against the US).

There are always young players who will shine, a la Lionel Messi, Robinho and Wayne Rooney and there are the wily veterans such as Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo and Cafu who are ever dangerous.

A cinderella team always emerges (Trinidad & Tobago?) and a powerhouse crashes out (could it be France or Italy this year?).

My favourite team is England. Watching players such as David Beckham, Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney is always great. I hope they win it all this year.

The best part of the World Cup though is the fact that it brings different people together.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject:

Boring!
#8kobe#24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
I love watching the World Cup! These games are amazing (except for the pathetic display shown by the Italians against the US).

There are always young players who will shine, a la Lionel Messi, Robinho and Wayne Rooney and there are the wily veterans such as Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo and Cafu who are ever dangerous.

A cinderella team always emerges (Trinidad & Tobago?) and a powerhouse crashes out (could it be France or Italy this year?).

My favourite team is England. Watching players such as David Beckham, Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney is always great. I hope they win it all this year.

The best part of the World Cup though is the fact that it brings different people together.

cinderela will be ghana and the first powerhouse to crash out wil be france
CheetahMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:

David Beckham. Talk about the most overrated person on the globe. Michael Owen, well, the sole purpose he's up there is his reputation from the past. Rooney's good, Gerrard is better. The rest of them are fitlhy, dirty, cheap mofos, who deserve an gooooood ass-whooping. Not to speak of the fans you always see on the streets and in the tv. I hope they fail to make it past Ecuador.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:

CheetahMan wrote:
Canadian Laker wrote:

David Beckham. Talk about the most overrated person on the globe. Michael Owen, well, the sole purpose he's up there is his reputation from the past. Rooney's good, Gerrard is better. The rest of them are fitlhy, dirty, cheap mofos, who deserve an gooooood ass-whooping. Not to speak of the fans you always see on the streets and in the tv. I hope they fail to make it past Ecuador.

Sorry but I have to disagree. You may not like the team but you have to respect the players. Name one other player better than David Beckham on a set piece? There is no other in my opinion. I don't like his whole celebrity thing but as a playmaker he's still one of the best.

Speaking of fans, I'm highly impressed with the Korean fans. I thought they were loud and jubilant during the last tourney because it was on home soil but they're blowing me away this time around!
Polish_Bastard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject:

Poland was the first team to be mathematically kicked out, how bad is that...

So now all that's left for me is Argentina. Started to love them when their goalkeeper was shutting down everyone in penalty shootouts in 1990.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

That's too bad, I had Poland moving on instead of Ecuador. It seems like that goal by the opposing goalie in their last friendly really killed all their momentum.

After a poor showing in 2002, Argentina are back in the elite. Personally, I have them meeting England in the finals.

By the end of this week when the group stage is complete the fun will really begin!
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
That's too bad, I had Poland moving on instead of Ecuador. It seems like that goal by the opposing goalie in their last friendly really killed all their momentum.

After a poor showing in 2002, Argentina are back in the elite. Personally, I have them meeting England in the finals.
By the end of this week when the group stage is complete the fun will really begin!

Boooo to the first part yo!!! Yeah yeah who would have thought Ecuador would do some damaged in this World Cup?!? =]

I'm gonna agree with you on Argentina and England making it to the finals mate... I wouldn't be surprised if that happen....

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject:

Polish_Bastard wrote:

So now all that's left for me is Argentina. Started to love them when their goalkeeper was shutting down everyone in penalty shootouts in 1990.

You just poured salt in an almost healed wound. Goycoechea only came in after their #1 keeper broke his leg early in the tournament. He stopped Yugoslavia in the Quarters, then Italy in the semis. Don't know why but that '90 loss hurt more than the drubbing they got last week. Expectations I suppose.

As far as 2006, it's been ok so far. The refs are getting in the way of some good football by giving away too many cards. I felt bad for Owen, Crouch is crap, Rooney is not 100%, and Walcott is a mystery. Other than that England is deep team and if they find someone to score some goals they'll be ok. Portugal, Spain and Germany have been the most consistent teams so far but you never know how much the quality of their opponents had to do with that, we'll see in the next round(s).
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:

The U.S. failed to live up to the high expectations from the rankings prior to play. Better luck next time.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject:

we really suck at this sport
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
we really suck at this sport

If you think about it, the US has come very far in a really short period of time. Soccer was nothing in the US until there was a lot more money spent and the MLS took off. I think the future looks bright.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Ronaldo is the freaking man.....money, chicks, fame, soon-to-be all-time World Cup goals record holder. Brazil is killin it.

I'm personally rooting for England.....Rooney's hard.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
CheetahMan wrote:
Canadian Laker wrote:

Sorry but I have to disagree. You may not like the team but you have to respect the players. Name one other player better than David Beckham on a set piece? There is no other in my opinion. I don't like his whole celebrity thing but as a playmaker he's still one of the best.

Speaking of fans, I'm highly impressed with the Korean fans. I thought they were loud and jubilant during the last tourney because it was on home soil but they're blowing me away this time around!

Agree with your points. I actually think Beckham is underrated.
#8kobe#24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:

portugal 2 netherlands 0

england sorry but you're gonna lose against us.... again
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:

#8kobe#24 wrote:
portugal 2 netherlands 0

england sorry but you're gonna lose against us.... again

Portugal is coming on strong. Stronger than I thought they would be.....should be interesting to see how deep they get.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
Canadian Laker wrote:
CheetahMan wrote:
Canadian Laker wrote:

Agree with your points. I actually think Beckham is underrated.

I agree. Beckham could be the Steve Nash of Football...not because of the hair of course...people think he's overrated since he can't dribble like Ronaldinho, not as fancy as guys like Zidane/Ronaldo, plus the fact that he's a pretty bastard, and lives in Beckingham Palace with a popstar wife - not too much streed credit I guess
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: