World Cup Soccer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject:

I agree that the refereeing has been atrocious, one exception being the France-Spain game. But as a person who had no preference for either team in the Eng vs Por as I like many players from either side, I think Rooney deserved a straight red card for the Nutcracker move alone. Arguing or cussing after, or the push on Ronaldo didn't alter the decision of the ref who was literally 3 feet away when he did it. It is annoying to hear people try to credit Ronaldo with influencing the refereee's decision.

From the remaining 4 countries the one I would least like to see hoist the trophy is Germany. Any of the other 3 I would be fine with.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:

International football refereeing has gone downhill since referee Colina stopped officiating.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
International football refereeing has gone downhill since referee Colina stopped officiating.

That's the italian with the bald head right? I LOVE that guy. True veteran. I cant remember ever disagreeing with any of his calls, even if i was on the opposing side...

RIP Jayden Odom
#8kobe#24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:

bballfan4life wrote:
insidepresence wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
For the first time this world cup I was actually rooting for england. This was by far thier best game and they pushed really hard in the second half. Portugal was doing a lot of defending. Luck wasnt on thier side today I was praying they wouldnt go on to penalties b/c as usual I knew they would choke...
at Rooney for getting that red card. He should have known better. I love how fierce he is but I do hope his atitude wouldnt be his downfall
and for whatever reason there's something I find incredibly irritating about Christian Ronalda(Bash me all you want ) but I've never liked the kid that much. I think it started during Euro 2004.Thank goodness they didnt win
My day want all bad though. I knew France was gonna be able to handle Brazil and they'll handle portugal too(hopefully). I love me some Henry
France and Germany would be my dream final. Those are two of my favourite teams out of all the european powerhouses

His name is Cristiano...but yes he is very irritating. I think it has something to do with him being softer than paper ...though you can't deny his skills, he is very talented

I knew that. I just couldnt spell it right This guy would probably be soccer's equivalent to Dwade. I hate that "baby having a tantrum" face when the refs dont call a foul he wsnts.. :roll: Just keep playing. You cant deny his skills though.The one thing I dont like is how he dribbles and tries to do all this fancy foot work and then ends up loosing the ball. I think that's what annoys me most of all. You'e not Ronaldinhno buddy, dont worry about it

yes he's not ronaldinho, because he's still playing in the world cup while ronaldinho is fishing in brazil with ronaldo and adriano
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:

Zinedine Zidane > Man On A Mission
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject:

#8kobe#24 wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
insidepresence wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
For the first time this world cup I was actually rooting for england. This was by far thier best game and they pushed really hard in the second half. Portugal was doing a lot of defending. Luck wasnt on thier side today I was praying they wouldnt go on to penalties b/c as usual I knew they would choke...
at Rooney for getting that red card. He should have known better. I love how fierce he is but I do hope his atitude wouldnt be his downfall
and for whatever reason there's something I find incredibly irritating about Christian Ronalda(Bash me all you want ) but I've never liked the kid that much. I think it started during Euro 2004.Thank goodness they didnt win
My day want all bad though. I knew France was gonna be able to handle Brazil and they'll handle portugal too(hopefully). I love me some Henry
France and Germany would be my dream final. Those are two of my favourite teams out of all the european powerhouses

His name is Cristiano...but yes he is very irritating. I think it has something to do with him being softer than paper ...though you can't deny his skills, he is very talented

I knew that. I just couldnt spell it right This guy would probably be soccer's equivalent to Dwade. I hate that "baby having a tantrum" face when the refs dont call a foul he wsnts.. :roll: Just keep playing. You cant deny his skills though.The one thing I dont like is how he dribbles and tries to do all this fancy foot work and then ends up loosing the ball. I think that's what annoys me most of all. You'e not Ronaldinhno buddy, dont worry about it

yes he's not ronaldinho, because he's still playing in the world cup while ronaldinho is fishing in brazil with ronaldo and adriano

only b/c They were lucky enough to face england. I'm not one to make gurantees but I'll go out on a limb and say they wont be hoisting that trophy come July 9th
Sorry..

RIP Jayden Odom
#8kobe#24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

bballfan4life wrote:
#8kobe#24 wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
insidepresence wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:

only b/c They were lucky enough to face england. I'm not one to make gurantees but I'll go out on a limb and say they wont be hoisting that trophy come July 9th
Sorry..

portugal chances>>>>>>>>>>>>>brazil chances
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

bballfan4life wrote:
#8kobe#24 wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
insidepresence wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:

Sorry..

:roll: without 2 of their 5 best players, I would expect no less of a response from "uma amiga de os brasileiros"...however, France does seem to be playing possesed
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

bballfan4life wrote:
Canadian Laker wrote:

That's the italian with the bald head right? I LOVE that guy. True veteran. I cant remember ever disagreeing with any of his calls, even if i was on the opposing side...

Yeah, that's the guy! When things would start getting out of hand he'd pull each player to the side and basically tell them what they did wrong and give them one chance not to do it again or he'd book them. He was a great referee! He earned the respect of the players, coaches and fans.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
#8kobe#24 wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
insidepresence wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:

Sorry..

:roll: without 2 of their 5 best players, I would expect no less of a response from "uma amiga de os brasileiros"...however, France does seem to be playing possesed

If whatever you wrote is meant to imply I'm a Brazil homer. I'm going to clarify it for you and say I'm not. I havent even roooted for them the whole time. My point is Ronaldo is nor Ronaldinho(and I'm not saying that b/c I dont like him). I want to see a France-Germany final.My boyfriend's
$100 bucks are riding on it. I dont want him grumpy for the next six months. It'd be amazing to see Germany lift it up on thier home turf and I love Zidane, Viera and Henry so. Go Team!

RIP Jayden Odom
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
Canadian Laker wrote:

Yeah, that's the guy! When things would start getting out of hand he'd pull each player to the side and basically tell them what they did wrong and give them one chance not to do it again or he'd book them. He was a great referee! He earned the respect of the players, coaches and fans.

I know and that's very rare for a referee to do...

RIP Jayden Odom
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Beckham's injury was such great luck for England. Aaron Lennon came in strong, but Rooney's stupidity proved fatal.

Ricardo was awesome at the goal, and Madeira Star Ronaldo (named after ronald reagan, no kidding!!) iced it from the spot.

the other two Ronaldo, they went home before VARIG went bankrupt. They are now dinking caipirinhas and eating picanha.

Bring on France!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Becks isnt captaining england anymore. THey think either Steven Gerrad or Terry would have have the armband next. I dont think playing for england is the easiest thing to do. Those ppl are so damn obsessive about everything. There has to be pressure on these players from everywhere, especially when they get home...
On anothe note That french midfield is ironclad. You probably wont get past the centre line more than 10 times in a game. That's the only way to beat beat Brazil.Good luck to portugal in trying to break that down...
GO FRANCE
Go Germany

RIP Jayden Odom
#8kobe#24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

bballfan4life wrote:
Becks isnt captaining england anymore. THey think either Steven Gerrad or Terry would have have the armband next. I dont think playing for england is the easiest thing to do. Those ppl are so damn obsessive about everything. There has to be pressure on these players from everywhere, especially when they get home...
On anothe note That french midfield is ironclad. You probably wont get past the centre line more than 10 times in a game. That's the only way to beat beat Brazil.Good luck to portugal in trying to break that down...
GO FRANCE
Go Germany

true. france midfield is definitely their biggest strenght. but they are also kind of getting old. don't forget deco will be able to play now, and he will be rested. hopefully he can do his little magic
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:

#8kobe#24 wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
GO FRANCE
Go Germany

true. france midfield is definitely their biggest strenght. but they are also kind of getting old. don't forget deco will be able to play now, and he will be rested. hopefully he can do his little magic

Werent Luis Figo and many portugese fans up in arms about him bieng put on the team prior to the tournament b/c he wasnt a real portugese but a naturalized brazilian? My how winning changes everything

RIP Jayden Odom
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

The world is lucky that Lebron James, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, and even Earl Boykins didn't decide to become soccer players
#8kobe#24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:

bballfan4life wrote:
#8kobe#24 wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
GO FRANCE
Go Germany

Werent Luis Figo and many portugese fans up in arms about him bieng put on the team prior to the tournament b/c he wasnt a real portugese but a naturalized brazilian? My how winning changes everything

that was a long time ago, when he played for the first time for portugal. but after seeing how he embrassed the team as if he was portuguese for his whole life, made fans cepticism go away. he and figo are good friends today
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:

#8kobe#24 wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
GO FRANCE
Go Germany

They also have one of the greatest strikers in the world with Henry.
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:

#8kobe#24 wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
#8kobe#24 wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
GO FRANCE
Go Germany

that was a long time ago, when he played for the first time for portugal. but after seeing how he embrassed the team as if he was portuguese for his whole life, made fans cepticism go away. he and figo are good friends today

Figo was just being difficult. Ironically Deco's first international appearance was against Brazil in '03 and he scored the game winner after only playing a total of 8 minutes.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

I agree with insidepresence, France are playing possessed! Zidane is playing like he did in 1998. Only 2 more games left for Zidane's career. If he can lift France to another world title he will have solidified his name among the all-time greats.

Beckham has been a great captain for England. The pressure to win in England is probably equal to the pressure Canadian hockey players feel or US basketball players will feel when more of the world's teams close the gap in talent. Anything less than gold is a failure. Terry or Gerrard would be an excellent choice for the England captaincy.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:

Yes Deco will be back and was the subject of great controversy, even if scoring on Brasil.

He is an excelent player an noone thinks about that anymore. I'd still prefer to have a portuguese-born in his positions but that's the same thing as having Hakeem in the Dream Team. Teammates warned him he had to sing the Portuguese Anthem the first night he was with the NT

France is very well at the moment, strong performance against Brazil. Zidane showed he could play one more season easily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
Beckham's injury was such great luck for England. Aaron Lennon came in strong, but Rooney's stupidity proved fatal.

Ricardo was awesome at the goal, and Madeira Star Ronaldo (named after ronald reagan, no kidding!!) iced it from the spot.

the other two Ronaldo, they went home before VARIG went bankrupt. They are now dinking caipirinhas and eating picanha.

Bring on France!!

That one move Lennon made darting across the box with the ball was impressive, I thought they could score there.

I am no soccer expert for sure, but I also thought that Hargraves (spelling?) was outstanding for England and obviously the Portugal goalie was unreal during the penalty kicks.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:

Hargreaves (plays in germany for Bayern Munchen).

Ricardo, PT goalie, was definetly awesome. He plays for Sporting Lisbon and has had two awful season, but always tops in the NT.

Nice to see even non-football fans watching the WC.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
Hargreaves (plays in germany for Bayern Munchen).

Ricardo, PT goalie, was definetly awesome. He plays for Sporting Lisbon and has had two awful season, but always tops in the NT.

Nice to see even non-football fans watching the WC.

It is very exciting, the games now means so much that any mistake could cost your country the World Cup so it is obvious the players are going all out.

I love the pagentry of it all, it is pretty cool.

Good luck to your team, the final 4 teams seem so evenly matched I have no idea who I even think is going to win.

Also, it is funny to hear the hard core fans complaining about the officiating of the games the way I do every year in the NBA playoffs! Now that is what it is all about!
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I think people here underrate the Portuguese squad. And I think it is their defense which is the most underrated. Miguel, Carvalho, and Valente get hardly any attention, despite packing it in against the Dutch while being constantly a man down. Pauleta is one of the more underrated strikers in the game, and has shown when he gets hot, that he can almost score at will (though he hasn't been hot for a year and a half ). Figo is far from finished, and he somewhat akin to a what a heady veteran PG would be in the NBA...and Deco and Ronaldo are legitimate stars. I am not sure they can beat France, but they will not go down easy
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: