World Cup Soccer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

football is much more sensitive to referee mistakes (deliberate or not) than any other sport I guess.

In club football you can see armed robbery, literally, when big teams play smaller teams.

Down one-nil in the 90th minute? 10minutes injury time, a fake penalty or two an there u go.

Enjoy the WC, it's being a good one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

good luck ronny and tony.... i hope you guys win tomorrow
#8kobe#24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
I think people here underrate the Portuguese squad. And I think it is their defense which is the most underrated. Miguel, Carvalho, and Valente get hardly any attention, despite packing it in against the Dutch while being constantly a man down. Pauleta is one of the more underrated strikers in the game, and has shown when he gets hot, that he can almost score at will (though he hasn't been hot for a year and a half ). Figo is far from finished, and he somewhat akin to a what a heady veteran PG would be in the NBA...and Deco and Ronaldo are legitimate stars. I am not sure they can beat France, but they will not go down easy

ricardo carvalho is a monster. mourinho, his coach in chelsea and porto, always says that when he's playing focussed he's the best center back in the world. the only problem with carvalho is when he plays against smaller teams. this is the world cup so i'm not preoccupied. he's gonna keep playing big time
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

I cant believe this. Two goals in the span of less than five minutes wih less that one minute in extra time...
Poor Germany There is something about italy winning that always irks me
the azzuri. I wanted to see penalties
Thank God I'm not German b/c I'm hurting for them regardless so imagine if I actually was

RIP Jayden Odom
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

italia was a killer!!!

deserved to win, though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Viva Italia, bye bye Germans.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I wanted penalties plus now my bf just lost $100 bet
Btw just a little stat. France has won their last 7 games against portugal . Hopefully thier win streak continues and I dont have to bite my tongue twice

RIP Jayden Odom
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Divac12_NoviBeograd wrote:
Viva Italia, bye bye Germans.

yeS!! Viva Italia!!!!!!!
LABigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Viva Italia!!
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I think I know another reason why bballfan4life might not like Italy....could it be all the fairweather fans that emerge every 4 years, cheering on "their team", especially in Toronto? I bet those fans couldn't tell Del Piero from Del Monte!

The true blue fans you have to respect though, of any team, not just Italy.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
I think I know another reason why bballfan4life might not like Italy....could it be all the fairweather fans that emerge every 4 years, cheering on "their team", especially in Toronto? I bet those fans couldn't tell Del Piero from Del Monte!

The true blue fans you have to respect though, of any team, not just Italy.

Exactly. About 50% of my niehbourhood is Italian and you should’ve seen them last night. Honking their car horns every five seconds even though it was 12 midnight. I bet you half of those ppl that were out last night don’t even know the yr italy last won the world cup or half thier substitutes names or even what an offside is… They probably just check the scoreline at the end of the game to see if they can go to some bar and raise hell :roll: I think i was subconcouisly trying to jinx them since i knew if they won it wouldnt be likely that i'd get any sleep and i was right Those ppl wouldnt shut up last night...

RIP Jayden Odom
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

As much as I hate this...France is going to win...their defense can stop Italy(as they did to Brazil)...and Henry and Zidane are just too good..
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Go Zizou!!

RIP Jayden Odom
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Wow, France is amazing. They play very tough and are in great shape with no nagging injuring to their stars. They are huge...I honestly doubt any of them were under '6 feet. I don't think Italy has a chance in the next game. Hats off to Zidane and Figo for exchanging jerseys after the game. Very classy moves by both of those very classy players. I must say, Ribbert really irks me for some reason. But it is because I think he plays with too much impulse, not for lack of skill. For the country of my ancestry, Portugal, I felt bad. It seemed like Figo and Ronaldo were the only ones playing. Figo would run up the side and cross, and Ronaldo would be the only one there. Or Ronaldo would run at the defense, and he would be alone. Or Figo would run up the side, get to the corner, and have no one to cross to. I must say Ronaldo really impressed me, if Portugal can surround him with more talent, they could definately be a team to watch for in the coming Cups. I believe both teams played pretty evenly, with Portugal actually having the advantage in the end. There are just a few plays that could have swayed the match, such has Meira touching into open space and then striking rather than striking on a volley. Silly stuff really. All and all a very good match.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
Wow, France is amazing. They play very tough and are in great shape with no nagging injuring to their stars. They are huge...I honestly doubt any of them were under '6 feet. I don't think Italy has a chance in the next game. Hats off to Zidane and Figo for exchanging jerseys after the game. Very classy moves by both of those very classy players. I must say, Ribbert really irks me for some reason. But it is because I think he plays with too much impulse, not for lack of skill. For the country of my ancestry, Portugal, I felt bad. It seemed like Figo and Ronaldo were the only ones playing. Figo would run up the side and cross, and Ronaldo would be the only one there. Or Ronaldo would run at the defense, and he would be alone. Or Figo would run up the side, get to the corner, and have no one to cross to. I must say Ronaldo really impressed me, if Portugal can surround him with more talent, they could definately be a team to watch for in the coming Cups. I believe both teams played pretty evenly, with Portugal actually having the advantage in the end. There are just a few plays that could have swayed the match, such has Meira touching into open space and then striking rather than striking on a volley. Silly stuff really. All and all a very good match.

Chin up. there is always 2010, Btw what was Figo saying to the referee after the game?

RIP Jayden Odom
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Portugal just coulnd't buy a goal.
We've been scoreles 70 minutes against Holland, 120 againsyt england and another 90 today.

France did not play much offense, but scored early and held on tightly to the lead.

Good luck for sunday
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

bballfan4life wrote:
insidepresence wrote:

Chin up. there is always 2010, Btw what was Figo saying to the referee after the game?

If the rumors are true that he is retiring, he was likely saying goodbye. I read somewhere him and Larrionda are friends. But I can't say for sure, because I did not see the exchange, I was otherwise occupied (food)
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

i want Italia to win!!!

but i think France will win.

hopefully Italia! wins.

Viva Italia!!!
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:

Portugal are already a team to watch. Finalists in Euro 2004 and within a goal of the World Cup finals this year and they have signed coach Scolari until at least 2008.

People may not be able to call them Brazil's team B anymore! They've got their own identity and a talented one at that. Love them or hate them, you've still gotta respect them.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Yes France...knew my boys would pull through...I was scared in the first few round robin games since they weren't clicking, but the French got better and better each game. Today they picked up an ugly win, but at the end a W is a W
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Aww nooo...
Cant believe Portugal lost... I had to find out during my lunch break at work... Lol i was actually calling everyone and now one knew if they had won or lost, ughh!! I was going crazy until I got the news of course =[!!!

Eh GO ITALIA!!!!

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject:

That goalie for France looks like he is ready to surrender.

If I am Italy, I don't worry about getting the perfect shot, that guy could blow a relatively easy shot. Just pepper the net with shots and he is going to cough one up.

I am rooting for Italy!
Polish_Bastard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Yeah! Germany is out! I couldn't stand the way the whole nation was waxing pathetic about the team and everything around it.
Italy has serious chances, they are very disciplined and are not scared to put players forward cause they are good in getting back on defense. I think Portugal's problems were they usually had only one guy up front and were just physically weaker. Italy is a lot better in this regard, they should win because their defense is more stable than the French one.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject:

Figo will be retiring form the National Team, not the football.

He's still at Inter Milano
SenorJefe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:

Damn Frogs
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: