World Cup Soccer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Germany vs. Portugal for the 3rd place game on Saturday. This is a battle of the top two FIFA young players of the tournament, Germany's Lukas Podolski being the winner over Portugal's Ronaldo.

After the fiasco in the Portugal - England game, Ronaldo was booed by the crowd everytime he touched the ball against France. Public opinion is not on his side at this moment. Could this adversity make him a better player? Will being booed motivate him to play harder? Will he be able to score 3 goals and hold Germany's Klose scoreless to take the tournament goal scoring title?

On the German side, will coach Klinsmann opt to start his once all-world and now second string goalkeeper Oliver Khan? Will Miroslav Klose add to his goal tally?

Only time will tell.

I think it will be a close game with the home crowd being the difference in helping Germany to a win.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject:

^^ Ya, I was reading some articles from Portugal, and the team seems down...I don't see them beating Germany with the home crowd backing them...everyone was just kinda depressed in interviews, so I don't expect much effort...which isn't unexpected
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Awww11!!! =[ Cant believe they lost, ugh!!! I hope they win tomorrow... I'll be crossing my fingers for sure!!!

PORTUGAL!!

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject:

The booing of Ronaldo has been unfortunate and uncalled for. He hasn't stood out as someone who overtly dives every play of every game. There have been players far worse. But in case it is due to his "envolment" in the Rooney send-off then I would call it 100% unjustified bullcrap. The ref himself has said (along with any intelligent unbiased commentator) that only Rooney is to blame for that red card, and it was all because of the groin stomp instead of anything afterwards.

I've liked most of what John Harkes' has been able to contribute to the games but the man clearly wasn't impartial in the Rooney - Ronaldo incident. He played in England many years, and has many friends still there, and it was obvious he was cheering for them. This clouded his judgment as he feels about Ronaldo as many English fans. It was quite obvious in the Por- Fra game. I just hope he calls the final instead of the 3rd place game.

On a side note Ronaldo only has one goal so he would have to go on a total goal rampage to win the Golden Boot. Not happenin'. And I have to laugh when I hear the optimistic Henry fans claim he will score a hat-trick, on the Italian defense no less, and win the award himself. You can pretty much give the award to Klose today, I've read he won't play in the 3rd place game but he's done enough.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

Divac12_NoviBeograd wrote:
The booing of Ronaldo has been unfortunate and uncalled for. He hasn't stood out as someone who overtly dives every play of every game. There have been players far worse. But in case it is due to his "envolment" in the Rooney send-off then I would call it 100% unjustified bullcrap. The ref himself has said (along with any intelligent unbiased commentator) that only Rooney is to blame for that red card, and it was all because of the groin stomp instead of anything afterwards.

I've liked most of what John Harkes' has been able to contribute to the games but the man clearly wasn't impartial in the Rooney - Ronaldo incident. He played in England many years, and has many friends still there, and it was obvious he was cheering for them. This clouded his judgment as he feels about Ronaldo as many English fans. It was quite obvious in the Por- Fra game. I just hope he calls the final instead of the 3rd place game.

On a side note Ronaldo only has one goal so he would have to go on a total goal rampage to win the Golden Boot. Not happenin'. And I have to laugh when I hear the optimistic Henry fans claim he will score a hat-trick, on the Italian defense no less, and win the award himself. You can pretty much give the award to Klose today, I've read he won't play in the 3rd place game but he's done enough.

You're right, I made a mistake on my earlier post on Cristiano's goal total vs. Brazil's Ronaldo goal total and I agree that Klose will win the scoring title. Portugal still are a world class side though and no team of coach Scolari's will ever mail it in. Portugal will play for the win today.

However, I disagree with you on the Rooney situation. If you watch that play closely, you will see that Rooney was fighting for possession of the ball against two Portuguese players. Notice that when the referee finally blew the whistle his arm was signalling a Portugal free kick. At no time was he calling for Rooney or reaching for his notebook or cards. Then, Ronaldo stormed in and spoke to the referee, to which Rooney gives Ronaldo the push and only then do you see the ref call for Rooney and give him the red card. If the ref was giving the red card for allegedly stomping on Carvalho then why signal free kick for Portugal first? Here's some video evidence:

Referees make mistakes but this whole incident stinks, and Ronaldo's interference and subsequent winking on top of his growing reputation as a diver is the reason why he's being booed.

I'm also a Manchester United fan and in my opinion Ronaldo was playing to his potential when Keane was still there. Ever since he left Man U Ronaldo has reverted back to his overused stepover/diving/pouting ways. If he stays in the Premiership he'll have a helluva time playing. Unfortunately he's a marked man, both from a player and referee's point of view.
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:

So why single out Ronaldo as influencing the ref? Petit was there among others as well. This whole thing is just blown out of proportion because it's an England player and because said player got red carded and because that player was Rooney. This same appeal to the ref nonsense happens in EVERY game. As to why this one is more sinister is beyond me. I believed that Rooney got the red card for the push as well (which is Rooney's own fault), but the ref (who could be lying) said it was for the "stamp" and FIFA upheld the decision (meaning they think it was a stamp), so what any of that has to do with Ronaldo, I will never know. Happens every tournament after England lose, they look for a scapegoat. This time it just happens to be Ronaldo (who they hated before anyway).

As a Man U fan, I am surprised by your criticism of Ronnie's overall performance last season, considering it was his best goals haul, the end of season run, carling cup performance... Now does he need to grow up, yes, of course. But the dude is barely an adult, he surely deserves some leeway for that.
clone
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Having been a soccer fan all my life, This was the most boring and unwatchable world cup ever. This was worst than Italy 90. Not enough goals, poor officiating, subpar talent and overall poor quality soccer.
Not a single player or team stood out as being dominant. I hope south africa 2010 is better, can't be worse.

1949 1950 1952 1953 1954 1972 1980 1982 1985 1987 1988 2000 2001 2002 2009 2010
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject:

clone wrote:
Having been a soccer fan all my life, This was the most boring and unwatchable world cup ever. This was worst than Italy 90. Not enough goals, poor officiating, subpar talent and overall poor quality soccer.
Not a single player or team stood out as being dominant. I hope south africa 2010 is better, can't be worse.

The thing about the goals is true but I've actually kind enjoyed the fact that there's no 'dominance' or clear cut favourite up to these finals. Who'd have thought that france and italy would be in the finals? On another note the officiating of these games for the most have been atrocius but hey you cant have it all I guess.I'm pumped for tommorow and I'm rooting for france. "Allez Les Bleus". If the italians win Little italy in downtown toronto will shut down completely for DAYS!!. I cant stand the traffic headaches that'll bring

RIP Jayden Odom
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject:

I agree that the player appeals to the ref happens every game but Ronaldo is "singled out" because the ref looks to have changed his mind after he stepped in. Watch the video replay and you'll see the ref clearly signalling for a Portugal free kick and only when Ronaldo jumps in and subsequently gets the push by Rooney does the ref look over at Rooney and signal him over for the red card. Why signal for a free kick when the play called for a red card? The video of Ronaldo's wink, whether it was related to the play or not, doesn't help Ronaldo's cause either.

What I said earlier was that Ronaldo played well last season but I believe it was due to Keane's leadership on the team. Keane was the type of player who wouldn't put up with any BS and Ronaldo's play steadily improved, but after Keane left Man U we had Ronaldo going back to his stepover/pouting ways. Van Nistelrooy fell out of line at the end of the season as well and I don't believe it would have happened had Keane been there as well. Keane kept everyone in line. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy never play another game for Man U.

Joe Cole is another player who I view in the same light as Ronaldo. Both have massive amounts of talent and can be game-breakers but the diving just rubs me the wrong way, and I'm an England fan.

Now that Rooney and Ronaldo are done at this World Cup, what do you think will happen? Do you believe the reports that Rooney will look for revenge? Is Ronaldo correct in stating that there are no hard feelings between the two? Will Ronaldo even play with Man U this season or move on to Real Madrid?
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
I agree that the player appeals to the ref happens every game but Ronaldo is "singled out" because the ref looks to have changed his mind after he stepped in. Watch the video replay and you'll see the ref clearly signalling for a Portugal free kick and only when Ronaldo jumps in and subsequently gets the push by Rooney does the ref look over at Rooney and signal him over for the red card. Why signal for a free kick when the play called for a red card? The video of Ronaldo's wink, whether it was related to the play or not, doesn't help Ronaldo's cause either.

What I said earlier was that Ronaldo played well last season but I believe it was due to Keane's leadership on the team. Keane was the type of player who wouldn't put up with any BS and Ronaldo's play steadily improved, but after Keane left Man U we had Ronaldo going back to his stepover/pouting ways. Van Nistelrooy fell out of line at the end of the season as well and I don't believe it would have happened had Keane been there as well. Keane kept everyone in line. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy never play another game for Man U.

Joe Cole is another player who I view in the same light as Ronaldo. Both have massive amounts of talent and can be game-breakers but the diving just rubs me the wrong way, and I'm an England fan.

Now that Rooney and Ronaldo are done at this World Cup, what do you think will happen? Do you believe the reports that Rooney will look for revenge? Is Ronaldo correct in stating that there are no hard feelings between the two? Will Ronaldo even play with Man U this season or move on to Real Madrid?

English newspapers and fans in general havent been very kind so hopefully Ronaldo will be mature enough to take it in stride and play as best as he can for ManU if Sir Alex still wants him there, but since a key word in my sentence was 'mature' I wouldnt bet on it. Not unless we get a whole new Ronaldo come opening day Btw wth would he do on real madrid? Their roster is absolutely packed, I can already imagine him pouting from the bench . Micheal owen couldnt even last two season

RIP Jayden Odom
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

kobe, sasha, and ronny must be going out of their minds right now
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Penalty shootout time. I'm not watching but I hope Barthez doesnt ruin my day

RIP Jayden Odom
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

forget it

RIP Jayden Odom
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:

I hear the car honks already...

RIP Jayden Odom
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Hey bballfan4life, are you anywhere near Woodbridge, St. Clair or College Street? If so, you won't be getting any sleep tonight from the Italian partying going on!

Now that the World Cup is over, I seriously hope that FIFA will do something about all the diving and fake injuries that is happening to the beautiful game. We saw a ton of it again today and that's not the way the game should be played.

What did you guys think of the Italian team's celebrations? Personally, I found that it showed very little class. The impromptu moshpit was fine, but setting up a chair so that Camoranesi's long hair can be cut and Gattuso running around in his underwear, what's up with that? Whatever happened to the customary congratulating the other team and possibly exchanging jerseys? Also, the players were all touching and kissing the trophy before it was even presented.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
Hey bballfan4life, are you anywhere near Woodbridge, St. Clair or College Street? If so, you won't be getting any sleep tonight from the Italian partying going on!

Now that the World Cup is over, I seriously hope that FIFA will do something about all the diving and fake injuries that is happening to the beautiful game. We saw a ton of it again today and that's not the way the game should be played.

What did you guys think of the Italian team's celebrations? Personally, I found that it showed very little class. The impromptu moshpit was fine, but setting up a chair so that Camoranesi's long hair can be cut and Gattuso running around in his underwear, what's up with that? Whatever happened to the customary congratulating the other team and possibly exchanging jerseys? Also, the players were all touching and kissing the trophy before it was even presented.

They're italians so I didnt expect anything less. I mean look how excitable that italian- canadians get, let alone the ones who were born and bred there....My place is right around the major mackenzie intersection in Woodbridge and I knew they won before I even watched the score(too much tension) b/c I heard the car honks etc. The noise is still going strong and although I'm all for celebrations I kinda wish they'd shut up now.There's a loud beep from a car about ever five seconds and you can here ppl screaming and I have a sneaky suspicion some of them are already drunk. My bf said they were practically blockading the subway station he was at with flags etc and it took him forever to get out of downtown. Anywho since I wont be getting any sleep tonight I might as well find something else to do Thank God I dont have to go to work tommorow or anything. I felt really bad for Zizou but I am big enough of a fan to remember him for bieng such a great ambassador for the game and not for this one isolated incident...

RIP Jayden Odom

Last edited by bballfan4life on Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

South Africa 2010 and hopefully I'll be there I also hope it helps there economy as much as it did Germany's b/c they need it. It's been a whole month of craziness and now we get another four rs to get ready for it all over again...
Btw Euro 2004 qualifying starts soon and France is playing Italy in September. Do I smell a 'let's win one for zizou mantra'?

RIP Jayden Odom
tortuga
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Man, it's just too bad that those match-fixing Italians won this. Not to mention it's a total shame that a dirty ass racist like Materazzi got to hold the trophy. I'm glad Zidane headbutted him at least but I think he should've punched his face instead. haha But then, he should've definitely kept his cool.

I agree about the Italian celebrations. They celebrate the same way they play...with no class. If they're gonna give yellow card to Schweinsteiger (sp?) for taking off his shirt, they should fine that Gattuso guy (who, by the way, looks like Guarnere from Band of Brothers) for failing to keep his shorts on.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject:

Zidane for the loss!

http://random-m.com/images/1367720936_zidanesf9ee.gif

It's a shame an all-time great like Zidane had to end his career in such an ugly fashion.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject:

Tortuga, why do you talk when it's evident that you don't know anything about Materazzi? why do you call him a "dirty ass racist"?. i know that guy personally and he's definitely not a racist at all... very good person, by the way... so please, shut up....
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
Tortuga, why do you talk when it's evident that you don't know anything about Materazzi? why do you call him a "dirty ass racist"?. i know that guy personally and he's definitely not a racist at all... very good person, by the way... so please, shut up....

Agreed...I know not whether Materazzi is a good person, but from every article I've read he seems like a normal guy, there is no reason to say that about him. Now let me ask you, since you know him, what reason would Zidane have for doing that?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:

insidepresence, first of all, it's not the first time that zidane -wonderful player- goes nuts... then, in a game, especially a so important game, players always trash talk... it's not beautiful, but it's normal... i don't know what happened last night, but many times materazzi got personal insults about his mother, who died when he was a kid... so he often overreacts... an english newspaper says today that materazzi called zizou "terrorist", in reference to his algerian roots...
tortuga
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
insidepresence, first of all, it's not the first time that zidane -wonderful player- goes nuts... then, in a game, especially a so important game, players always trash talk... it's not beautiful, but it's normal... i don't know what happened last night, but many times materazzi got personal insults about his mother, who died when he was a kid... so he often overreacts... an english newspaper says today that materazzi called zizou "terrorist", in reference to his algerian roots...

I think you just supported my argument right there. So what evidence do you have that says otherwise about what kind of person Materazzi is other than your words?

So you know him personally? That's great. So what? I can also claim I know someone personally. Although I'm not saying you're lying, there's no way to truly know a person unless you live with that person 24/7. Heck, even then, it's hard.

Also, he sure seems like a dirty player on the field to me and if that's any indication of how he behaves off the field, it is very likely he's the same way off the field.

Here are some clips...

Materazzi 1

Materazzi 2

Football is a rough sport indeed. But no matter what, you don't just go intentionally trying to injure somebody like Materazzi has done in numerous occasions. The same goes for Zidane or any other players for that matter.

What Zidane did was wrong and I'm not denying that this is the first time he went nuts. But how many times has Materazzi been involved in dirty plays versus Zidane? I'll give Zizou the benefit of the doubt.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject:

again, if you don't understand that during the game playing rough and trash talking is normal, so you don't understand the game... marco is a warrior, a ron artest kind of player... a very good person who plays very hard and sometimes goes beyond the limits... that's not a good reason to call him racist... or how we could call zidane when he insults materazzi's mom?... zidane headbutted several players during his wonderful career: not a good thing, but it's a part of the game... that's soccer, not much different from football...
tortuga
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
an english newspaper says today that materazzi called zizou "terrorist", in reference to his algerian roots...

Tell me how that does not make him a racist? He's basically generalizing a certain ethnic group in a very derogatory way. And not only does it offend Zidane but every Algerian out there.

Regardless of what Zidane said to Materazzi, he still brought up a racial issue. Perhaps, he should've insulted Zidane's mother instead.

Also, like I said, no matter what Materazzi said to Zidane, it does NOT excuse Zidane for his actions.

And finally, I understand there are trash talking going on in sports. I'm also following basketball, aren't I?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: