Trade Odom for the 2 pick and draft Brandon Roy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phlooidphil773
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Trade Odom for the 2 pick and draft Brandon Roy?

in espn's last mock draft, there are 3 mentions of a laker/bulls trade that would send odom to chicago for the 2 pick.

in the beginning of the article:
"Our projected No. 2 selection, LSU's Tyrus Thomas, is on shaky ground too. If the Chicago Bulls trade their pick (there are rampant rumors about a potential trade with the Los Angeles Lakers that would include Lamar Odom), Thomas could tumble."

on their prediction of the second pick:
"Rumors of a possible trade with the Lakers have also complicated things. If the Lakers get the No. 2 pick, Roy would be their guy."

on their prediction of the 26 pick:
"The skinny: The Lakers don't need a pure point guard in the triangle, so Diaz should be a good fit. He is tough and super-athletic, and he's improved his stroke dramatically. Diaz would give Phil Jackson another backcourt scoring option besides you-know-who.

Ideally, however, the Lakers will move up in the draft and upgrade this position to someone like Brandon Roy."

All of this is from the same article. I would have thought that if we were trying to obtain the 2 pick, it would be to go after either Aldridge or Thomas, but it looks like the Lakers like Roy.

Watching Roy, especially in the ncaa tournament, I have thought all along that of the players in the draft he is among those with the most potential. As far as risk, I think there is no chance that Roy ends up a bust. He will be a good player; he's a cant miss prospect.

Personally, I think he'll be an allstar calibur player, and soon. I mean if you saw the guy play in college, he was just amazing, he's so versatile and can do everything, shoot, handle, penetrate, defend, pass, he's just such a smart player, and hes big. the only knock has been his athletisim, but he's not unathletic, and after the recent combine or whatever they call it in basketball, he actually tested as more athletic than he was given credit for. He will undoubtedly be a very good player in this league.

If I were the Toronto Raptors, or any team with the number 1 pick and no clear cut needs, I would take Roy, but obviously the last thing the Lakers should be looking for is another shooting guard. But after thinking about it for a little, I decided it really didnt matter because of the triangle, and Roy is versatile enough to play the point at times, and Kobe can run 1 as well if needed. And you shouldnt pass up a player you think is the best simply because he's not a big man. I think the Lakers position of need this draft is point, especially after draftting Bynum, and if we can we should get Roy.

The question is, should we give up Odom for one of these players?

Last edited by phlooidphil773 on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:

I agree and can only hope. I'm willing to wait a couple more seasons to grow a young team, I don't believe Odom can get it done for us.

Go Lakers
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Lamar is a top 5 Sf in league. Only LBJ is better in assists, points, and rebounds together.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

unless LeBron secretly promised us that he will sign with the Lakers, God I hope we aren't trading Lamar for the two
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject:

8 seasons and 1 all-star reserve appearance(I think, maybe not even). 10 out of 10 GM's say Odom has been a bust. He has the talent, just not the heart or smarts. http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=25693

Go Lakers
bluestorm1990
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:
8 seasons and 1 all-star reserve appearance(I think, maybe not even). 10 out of 10 GM's say Odom has been a bust. He has the talent, just not the heart or smarts. He is a d*ick tease for basketball junkies.

Go Lakers
GM's opinion don't actually mean anything unless they are apart of the orgainization.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject:

bluestorm1990 wrote:
RMurphy_22 wrote:
8 seasons and 1 all-star reserve appearance(I think, maybe not even). 10 out of 10 GM's say Odom has been a bust. He has the talent, just not the heart or smarts. He is a d*ick tease for basketball junkies.

Go Lakers
GM's opinion don't actually mean anything unless they are apart of the orgainization.

Whatever.

Go Lakers
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:
8 seasons and 1 all-star reserve appearance(I think, maybe not even). 10 out of 10 GM's say Odom has been a bust. He has the talent, just not the heart or smarts. http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=25693

Go Lakers

I think calling Odom a bust is being over-dramatic. The worst thing you can label him at this point is an underachiever.

Michael Olowokandi...now there's your definition of a bust.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
RMurphy_22 wrote:

Go Lakers

I think calling Odom a bust is being over-dramatic. The worst thing you can label him at this point is an underachiever.

Michael Olowokandi...now there's your definition of a bust.

cough*Kwame Brown*cough
LaL08Kb12004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:

Go Lakers

are u talking about odom? has he even played 88 yrs? and i have a hard time believeing 10 out of 10 consider him a bust. And dont believe these rumors. Everyone thot he was gonna be traded last yr at the deadline for peja.... didnt happen
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject:

We can only pray that the Lakers will decide between now or later. Either trade LO for the picks, thus deciding the "win later" path. Or trade Mihm for a big contract and/or pick, thereby deciding to take the "win now" path.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the lakers can find a way to win now or later with Odom, I just don't see it happening.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"The skinny: The Lakers don't need a pure point guard in the triangle, so Diaz should be a good fit. He is tough and super-athletic, and he's improved his stroke dramatically. Diaz would give Phil Jackson another backcourt scoring option besides you-know-who.

Ideally, however, the Lakers will move up in the draft and upgrade this position to someone like Brandon Roy."

Since when has ESPN filtered "Kobe" and replaced his name with "you-know-who?" :roll:
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Odom,Mihm,26th pick or Bynum in place of odom for Roy and Chandler? Or Roy and a trade exception from the Bulls which would enable us to get Harrington from the Hawks?

Is this worth it? Too me it's neck and neck.But in no way would I give Lamar or Bynum for just the 2nd and Gordon.

Sounds like something really is going to happen,just too much buzz about it everywhere you look.Where theres smoke theres fire.

Plus Roy coming in to workout for us,his great comments about the lakers and Kobe......

1 more week of quessing....
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Oh, the horrors of Kobe-cursing are upon us!!! ESPN considers it a profanity!!!
jbjb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject:

If I was going to trade Odom for a high draft pick, I'd wait until the next draft to do it. I don't see the Lakers trading Odom for Roy. even with the Trade Exception
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject:

If the lakers trade up for the no.2 pick and they don't draft a big man then they should definitely draft Gay IMO, Roy would be a good fit, but Gay is a strong athletic player with great upside that can learn a lot from Kobe. However I'm for Aldridge or Thomas over Gay.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:

You won't be able to trade LO for a high pick next year. Teams won't be willing to give up the pick.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
If the lakers trade up for the no.2 pick and they don't draft a big man then they should definitely draft Gay IMO, Roy would be a good fit, but Gay is a strong athletic player with great upside that can learn a lot from Kobe. However I'm for Aldridge or Thomas over Gay.

Well if Chandler is involved along with the 2nd pick we dont need to go for Thomas or Aldridge.

Roy seems to be the lakers target.from what I hear and read,the Lakers seem to be red hot for Roy.

Roy is best player now,and most ready.And I hear the talk about Gay and Thomas being superior athletes.But at the recent combines,Roy stood right up and for the most part equaled gay.Which was a real nice surprise.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject:

Tarzan008 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Well if Chandler is involved along with the 2nd pick we dont need to go for Thomas or Aldridge.

Roy seems to be the lakers target.from what I hear and read,the Lakers seem to be red hot for Roy.

Roy is best player now,and most ready.And I hear the talk about Gay and Thomas being superior athletes.But at the recent combines,Roy stood right up and for the most part equaled gay.Which was a real nice surprise.

Except Gay is noticeable faster in game, a better jumper in game, more explosive in game, and has 2 inches in height along with 5 inches in wingspan.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject:

Chandler wouldn't free up cap space though, right? I would agree with that if Chandler was included Roy or Gay would be a good choice, but if he isn't and it's just gordon and the 2 then I would say pick a big man. This is the order i like for the no.2: Thomas, Aldridge, Gay, and Roy. I think Gay could become a great player in the lakers offense and with kobe and phil mentoring him. He's already a strong defender.
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Tarzan008 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Except Gay is noticeable faster in game, a better jumper in game, more explosive in game, and has 2 inches in height along with 5 inches in wingspan.

I quess it comes down to the lakers "better know there stuff".....And I want to believe they do..... Who knows with smokescreens being in vogue these days..... For me Gay seems too easy going,too non chalant,not enough fire,or passion.But than you see all the good he brings talent wise,and is to me a real mixed bag...... Soon enough we will finally lbe given a answer or two,lets hope for the best.....
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject:

Tarzan008 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Tarzan008 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I quess it comes down to the lakers "better know there stuff".....And I want to believe they do..... Who knows with smokescreens being in vogue these days..... For me Gay seems too easy going,too non chalant,not enough fire,or passion.But than you see all the good he brings talent wise,and is to me a real mixed bag...... Soon enough we will finally lbe given a answer or two,lets hope for the best.....

Yea, but the Tri won't put too much pressure on him imo and kobe could be a big influence on him.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject:

This tired (bleep) is back again???

Odom should have his own thread.

This way people can read "rumors" that respond to "rumors" so at least they can be thoroughly confused!

For those who haven't heard yet, Rambis got on a radio show and thought that this was a comical idea...

Ain't nobody, but ya'll going to trade odom for draft picks...
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject:

How about a big fat NO.

Wait, I have an idea, why don't the Lakers trade Odom for the 33rd pick in the draft and a hot dog?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: