Do You Really Believe that Kupchak has any Authority?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Yes
30%
 30%  [ 12 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 25 ]
Don't Really Care (He doesn't sign my paycheck)
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 40

Armchair Rambis
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Do You Really Believe that Kupchak has any Authority?

Having followed the P&G for many years, I am of the opinion that Kupchak is merely a figurehead to give the perception that the Lakers have a "GM". After the Logo's departure, it is clear to me that the decision process starts and ends with the Buss family (Father, daughter, son, etc.) - and that Kupchak is nothing more than a glorified mouthpiece to the press. I don't see that he has any authority (i.e., Riles, West in their respective roles today). Phil, I think (IMHO) has more decision authority than Mitch - of course it could be the "family ties" and all.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that - but I don't agree with saddling the brunt of the blame on Kupchak - I just think he's a non-factor and is basically irrelevant in making major decisions for the team (e.g., trades, draft picks, future vision). Yes, all GMs have to report to the owner(s), but at the end of the day, I think Kupchak rates very low with respect to the authority and real accountability compared to his GM peers. I'm sure he is in a "recommendation" role but nothing more.

Just my take on his personality, but he never seems to be at ease when discussing the Lakers - always appears to be removed from the situation and not straight up (i.e., playing the politically correct card).

:roll:
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:

Hes just the spokesperson for the Lakers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject:

You need to add a choice here. It isn't yes, no or I don't care. It's yes, no, some and I don't care.

I can't vote when it's too one-sided like that.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:

Mitch Upchuck has SOME authority. But if his view is in direct conflict with anyone's, he gets vetoed, even if he is correct. This happens mainly because Upchuck is a weak man, never willing to stand for what he believes and not risk averse to make a strong call.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Armchair Rambis
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
You need to add a choice here. It isn't yes, no or I don't care. It's yes, no, some and I don't care.

Ok, well to guild the perennial lily, how about "Do You Really Believe that Kupchak has any Decision Making Authority?" I'm sure the Buss family gives him beaucoup "authority" to talk to the press (but that's John Black's job, really) or to go public any major decisions that have been handed down for him to put into the latest press release.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

Armchair Rambis wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

Ok, well to guild the perennial lily, how about "Do You Really Believe that Kupchak has any Decision Making Authority?" I'm sure the Buss family gives him beaucoup "authority" to talk to the press (but that's John Black's job, really) or to go public any major decisions that have been handed down for him to put into the latest press release.

I think he has as much of a voice as others, but he doesn't have final say. Perhaps it's Jim, Mitch & Phil, with Dr. Buss having final say - and since Jimmy is Jerry's son, he probably has more pull as a result.

It's a good question, really, I just didn't think the poll gave any choices that reflect my personal opinion on it.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:

Jerry Buss has ALWAYS had the final say. Kupchak and West both cleared things through the boss. Drafting, trades, contracts, coaches - Buss has the final say. That hasn't changed.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

He has some say. Buss is not like most owners. He knows quite a bit about basketball. He doesn't just leave all the decisions to the GM and staff.

And Buss is a logical guy, so I'm sure it's some sort of 3 headed monster of PJX/Mitch/Buss who work out ideas. But with Buss as the final authority.
Mitch does not deserve all the blame he gets on here.
Armchair Rambis
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Jerry Buss has ALWAYS had the final say. Kupchak and West both cleared things through the boss. Drafting, trades, contracts, coaches - Buss has the final say. That hasn't changed.

No doubt, that's the owner's perogative - always. But let me ask: if Kupchak and West (when he was GM) had both come to Buss with the same recommendation (hypothetically speaking), and both were adamant about their "recommendation", who do you think Buss would take [much] more seriously?
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

Armchair Rambis wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

No doubt, that's the owner's perogative - always. But let me ask: if Kupchak and West (when he was GM) had both come to Buss with the same recommendation (hypothetically speaking), and both were adamant about their "recommendation", who do you think Buss would take [much] more seriously?

Well he would both take seriously. That's an impossible question to answer, because we don't know what they are recommending.
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

"Do You Really Believe that Kupchak has any Authority?"

JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

Armchair Rambis wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Well, Buss is a very smart man, and he would not base his decision on who was presenting the information to him, but rather on the information presented. He really doesn't care about the source, but rather the quality. West was rejected by Buss plenty of times, and Buss thinks highly enough of Kupchak that he brought him into the Lakers front office, mentored him at the foot of West for a decade or two, then let Jerry West go knowing that Kupchak would replace him. The rest of the league must respect Kupchak as well, because I hve never heard of a GM who interviewed for and then turned down more GM positions then Kupchak when West was still here.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Really Believe that Kupchak has any Authority?

Armchair Rambis wrote:

What is a Mitch Kupchak?
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

yes he has the authority to be the biggest chicken in general manager history
WestCCa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Papa Jerry has for all intents and purposes handed the reins of the day-to-day management over to Jim Buss.

The big decisions still have to be approved by the good doctor, but Mitch appears to be a number-cruncher and a yes man.
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Kupchak= Puppet

Jim and daddy Boss Buss make them all these days.....With some input from PJAX......
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Uh, OK.

Why do any of you think Dr. Jerry Buss has changed from the day he bought the team until now? He brought in Jim Buss because Jerry won't live forever. So many on this board like what Colangelo did in PHX, which is exactly what Buss and Buss are doing here. The difference is JERRY BUSS IS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL OWNER IN SPORTS!

Jerry Buss does what he thinks is best, and has always had advisors that he trusts around him. From Chick Hearn and Gary Vitti. From Kupchak and Magic. From Jim and Jeanie. From Randy Pfund and Phil Jackson. From Bill Sharman and Paul Westhead. From Pat Riley and Ronnie Lester. From Vlade and Kareem. He'll take input from those within his organization. You guys are showing your emotion, when Buss uses logic and analysis.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: