Looking for Martial Arts Recommendation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Looking for Martial Arts Recommendation

I'm starting to look into different martial arts dojos in my area and was curious as to whether anybody had recommendations on martial arts styles they like?

Mainly I'm looking to get a good work out, but I prefer traditional punches/kicks/throws. Tae Kwon Do is a little too much emphasis on kickign for me, Kung Fu seems to have too much Wu Shu, Aikido seems a bit too passive, and brazilian jiu-itsu seems like a bit too much floor grappling.

Right now I'm leaning towards a traditional Danzan-Ryu ju-jitsu or karate school. Ju-jitsu schools seem like they emphasize the workout portion quite a bit, plus seem to go through throws, grappling, along with traditional punches/kicks. What do you guys think? Am I right in my assessments of these styles and is there anything you'd recommend?
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:

Well, my son was in Kung Fu for about a year, and for him it was mostly learning a series of combined moves as opposed to just kicks and punches. They did have a lot of sparring, once or twice a week, which is good if you want experience in "combat", but it was a little to rough for my son. On the sparring days though, it was non stop for about an hour so I know the work out was tough.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

I trained at a dojo for two years that falls under your description. It's in the San Fernando Valley, and its one HELL of a workout with everything you'd need. It covered everything from ground fighting, to standup sparring, to throws, and even street fighting. The belt tests were once every six months, and no way in hell would you see a 7 year old blackbelt. The style is an MMA called (im not 100% sure how to spell it but it sounds like this) "Kio Kushin Kai." As for your area, i really have no idea
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:

If you're talking about Kyokushin...damn, that stuff is hard core. Full contact, full speed, no pads. It's not MMA, it's a form of karate developed by Mas Oyama a few decades ago, and has been kind of fractured since Oyama's death. My father-in-law is a sensei in that style in FL, and my wife is a sempai. She might be getting back into teaching in the valley soon, but probably kids.

As for me, eu sou Angoleiro. It's not for everyone, but you may enjoy the Regional style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ALF
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

You should look into Muay Thai. Muay Thai emphasizes punching/kicking/knees and is a great workout. It is also very practical if you ever have to defend yourself.

Also, if you have the time/money, a combination of Muay Thai classes and jiu jitsu will give a well rounded knowledge of striking and grappling.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

I did Tae Kwon Do. It was ok.

Got to brown belt.....then quit.....
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Krav Maga and a lot of running will prep you for anything.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject:

zarate
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:

ShadyG wrote:
If you're talking about Kyokushin...damn, that stuff is hard core. Full contact, full speed, no pads. It's not MMA, it's a form of karate developed by Mas Oyama a few decades ago, and has been kind of fractured since Oyama's death. My father-in-law is a sensei in that style in FL, and my wife is a sempai. She might be getting back into teaching in the valley soon, but probably kids.

As for me, eu sou Angoleiro. It's not for everyone, but you may enjoy the Regional style.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. For the most part we train with KyoKushin but my Renchi tosses in elements of other styles in to mix it up. It's VERY tough.
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

KAJUKENBO. Mixture of Karate (Tang Soo Do), Judo (Se Keino Ryu)/Ju-Jitsu (Danzan Ryu) , Kenpo (Kosho Ryu), and Chinese Boxing (Chu'an Fa Kung-Fu). Founded by Adriano Emperado in Oahu, HI.

You'll never lose another fight. Check it out!
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject:

I did Akido for a year. Lamest thing ever.
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:

ALF wrote:
You should look into Muay Thai. Muay Thai emphasizes punching/kicking/knees and is a great workout. It is also very practical if you ever have to defend yourself.

Also, if you have the time/money, a combination of Muay Thai classes and jiu jitsu will give a well rounded knowledge of striking and grappling.

I've heard the same about Muay Thai. From what I understand, and I'm no expert, but the majority of other basic martial arts, say karate, jiu jitsu, kung fu, all emphasize moves that you would use in a comptetition, and aren't necessarily useful if you had to defend yourself. It almost becomes like a sychronized dance. To me, being able to beat the crap out of someone who attacks you in the street or breaks into your home is the most important factor.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

Thanks to everyone who responded - I'm gonna do some research on what's available around here, but focusing on Kenpo, Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerLegend wrote:
ALF wrote:

.....To me, being able to beat the crap out of someone who attacks you in the street or breaks into your home is the most important factor.

^^I think most people would agree with this. question. if this is the case, why dont most people practice martial arts that really emphasize pressure points. Why bust up your hands and break a sweat, when you can give someone a nice little touch here or there, and paralyze them for a minute or two.?enough time to be on your way.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerLegend wrote:
ALF wrote:

.....To me, being able to beat the crap out of someone who attacks you in the street or breaks into your home is the most important factor.

^^I think most people would agree with this. question. if this is the case, why dont most people practice martial arts that really emphasize pressure points. Why bust up your hands and break a sweat, when you can give someone a nice little touch here or there, and paralyze them for a minute or two.?enough time to be on your way.
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerLegend wrote:
I've heard the same about Muay Thai. From what I understand, and I'm no expert, but the majority of other basic martial arts, say karate, jiu jitsu, kung fu, all emphasize moves that you would use in a comptetition, and aren't necessarily useful if you had to defend yourself. It almost becomes like a sychronized dance. To me, being able to beat the crap out of someone who attacks you in the street or breaks into your home is the most important factor.

Kajukenbo was born in the streets of Oahu. The classes I took not only taught your standard punches, blocks, kicks, etc., but also self-defense against what you might encounter on the street (including knife and gun moves). It's a great system.
Tryangles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerLegend wrote:

Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, and Krav Maga are my reccomendations here. Since I train in BJJ mostly I will tell you that a lot of teachers do put emphasis in training you in how to win at competitions. (Except for any of the Gracie academys) The reality in BJJ though is when you are going to break an arm or leg or choke someone out, the fight is over after that, competition or not.
ALF
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
ALF wrote:

In my experience, pressure points aren't very effective in a real fight. They tend to be easy to avoid and you are probably going to take a beating as you try to get in the position to apply them.

If you are in a desperate situation, I'd stick to the classic pressure points: the balls and the eyes.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Just learn "The Shocker."
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Muay Thai(for standup) and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu(for ground)

That's the best combination if you want to be a COMPLETE fighter. Ask any MMA fighter and they will tell you this.
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject:

if at all possible, stay away from schools that use a belt system. its a farce.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject:

Colby Briant wrote:

My old dojo used a belt system and its NOT farce. When you take a belt test(which is once every 6 months, unlike some once a month places) you EARN it. Dont categorize all dojos that use belts. Our tests are insanely difficult and you have to be tough as hell to get through one.
32tapout
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:
Muay Thai(for standup) and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu(for ground)

That's the best combination if you want to be a COMPLETE fighter. Ask any MMA fighter and they will tell you this.

I can second that. BJJ can help you neutralize someone/opponent very quickly or using can using Muay Thai to do some serious damage (i.e. elbows/knees) without busting up your hands. It's a great combination. Good luck, Socks!

Mr. NBA Logo on 6/24/05 on Spurs fans seeking validation from Laker fans.
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
Colby Briant wrote:

My old dojo used a belt system and its NOT farce. When you take a belt test(which is once every 6 months, unlike some once a month places) you EARN it. Dont categorize all dojos that use belts. Our tests are insanely difficult and you have to be tough as hell to get through one.

I have been in the martial arts long enough (15 years) to be able to speak from experience. Its a farce. all clubs that use a belt system can be catagorized as such. Its a money making scheme. If belts were not present, people would drop out of schools. Belts keep customers coming and the schools open. Most clubs will also charge you every time you take a test. yet another way to make money.

when i say its a farce, i dont mean that people havent earned thier belts and im not saying it doesnt serve a purpose. belts are great for giving young kids self confidence, measuring a persons progress and giving them rewards. it also sets goals and gives a person a sense of achievement. I guess they are good for kids and people just starting out. any martial arts school that wants to be successful and make real money has to have a belt system. their business would go bankrupt if they didnt. its there for a reason. but dont fool yourself into thinking belt rankings are important.

ive been kicked out of 3 schools in the US for refusing to wear a belt in class. sorry but i wouldnt be caught dead wearing one. its a farce and will always be a farce. all my instructors over the last 4-5 years never wore a belt. in the schools ive been in, there are only two real ranks. instructor and student. though we did have a middle rank of senoir instructor. only persons in organized martial arts schools/businesses wear belts. maybe i just see things differently cause i havent studied martial arts here in the US too much. Ive mostly studied in germany and the UK.(under tommy carruthers club in scotland and franc burczynski in berlin) no belt rankings in the clubs i was in there. even my instructors laughed at the idea of belt rankings. these are guys who have been in the martial arts for 20-30 years.

the point is, you dont need a belt to tell you that youre a good martial artist. that youve worked hard. that youre dedicated, etc. your instructor knows when you are ready to move and advance in your training. martial arts should never be about "hey look at me, look what ive accomplished. im better than you. im tougher than you". ive been in too many clubs where brown belts walk around with egos and think theyre all hard. this should never happen. for all i know, im the equivalent of a black belt. do i have one? do i need one? no. i dont even have a white belt. i guess my real problem is with people wearing their belts around in class. if you want to have a belt ranking, fine. but to show it off is something id never want to be part of.

study martial arts for the art of it. not to achieve some arbitrary belt rank. martial arts goes back hundreds of years. the belt system was only introduced in the early 1900's and only fully adopted by lots of dojos in the past few decades. its not part of the real martial arts tradition. before then, they only had a few ranks. in the early days of belt systems which was instroduced in judo, you could only get a black bet after 20 years of training. now, the black belt is considered the holy grail in the US and you can get one in a few years. its the product of good marketing. hollywood movies exciting parents to get their kids into karate. theres probably thousands of 9 year old black belts in the US. makes me sick.

i'll close with a quote from bruce lee himself:

"i don't have any belt whatsoever... that belt doesn't mean anything. I think it might be useful to hold up your pants."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: