The MLE Is Goin To Either Sam Cassell Or Marcus Banks...Who Will It Be?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Banks or Cassell?
Marcus Banks
81%
 81%  [ 71 ]
Sam Cassell
18%
 18%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 87

Now_I_Know
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: The MLE Is Goin To Either Sam Cassell Or Marcus Banks...Who Will It Be?

With websites reporting Banks coming here and Cassell saying he wouldn't mind coming to the Lakers (but wanting to stay in LA), it's pretty evident we will be seeing one of the two in a Laker uniform this coming season...I want Sam Cassell...I honestly think we're getting Marcus Banks though. Which do you guys believe we'll see signed to the Lakers this off-season?
Laker_Leo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject:

From all the options we have, Banks looks good enough for me.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject:

If geting Sam I am means us being able to make the KG trade this summer then I want Sam I am sigend to the MLE for two years.

Also think about this Cassell only wants two years.Banks on the othe hand you can bet is going to want a long term 4 to 5 year contract just like Antonio Daniels last summer and that right there could be the deal breaker and would increase our chances of geting Sam Cassell.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:

To be honest, I don't really see Cassell being any better in the triangle then Payton was. Sam has a more reliable jumpshot, but that's about the only difference between he and Payton that year. He can't play much defense at this stage. He has the best blocking front court to cover for him on the Clippers. Sam is your prototypical ball dominant point guard. I actually think the Clippers are the perfect team for him. They need his leadership and decision making with the ball, and they have the right players to cover up his weaknesses.

That being said, I'll take Banks. Personally, I don't even think Banks is worth the full MLE. But if we have to use it on one of these 2 players, I'd use it on Banks rather than Cassell.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject:

I hope for once the Lakers will commit to speed and defense at the 1 and youth with the MLE.

The team isn't winning soon without a blockbuser trade anyway. By the time the team matures enough, they'd need a young gun anyway to replace old man Cassell.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject:

sam is just trying to get the clips to pay him.while cassels jumper and scoring would be nice,banks is the better long term choice
In the paint
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject:

I think Cassell is very unlikely and Banks is a reasonable possibility. However, I am not sure these are the only choices. It is more likely that we will find out after the draft. What if the Lakers pickup a good PG in the draft?
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:

In the paint wrote:
I think Cassell is very unlikely and Banks is a reasonable possibility. However, I am not sure these are the only choices. It is more likely that we will find out after the draft. What if the Lakers pickup a good PG in the draft?
Unlikely the Lakers find a good PG in the draft and even more unlikely Phil plays him.
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

given a choice between the 2 definitely Sam. He's a proven winner and is clutch. I don't see Banks as an improvement over Smush frankly.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject:

banks is cool..... his numbers arnt impressive but i think he has court vision and really good defense... he'll thrive at the triangle
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject:

I would rather have Banks if it's going to take a little time. On the other hand, if KG was traded to L.A. and said he wants Sam, I would give him Sam.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

i think it all comes down to the "plan". If were gung ho on the plan then i say Cassell because he only wants two years.. which is what i think will happen. I prefer banks for his defensive skills and youth.. I'm tired of the old experienced injured vet approach.
PassiontoWin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:

Hopefully Banks....
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject:

I like Cassell and certainly think he's a much better player than Banks, but it's time for the Lakers to stop donating their MLE to the elderly. Banks is a player who can grow with the team and contribute for years to come. Cassell would be a short term fix and the team would take a big step back after he retired. I'd go for Banks.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject:

Really either one! I feel there both just as good, also they're both better than Smush!

Anyway, we'll be better in the long run with either.
Although Banks has an advantage because Cassell is one ugly mofo!!
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject:

Banks... due to his age.
datniggbstyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject:

I have major concerns with both players. Marcus Banks is raw undeveloped talent with a passion for defense but he is young, inexperienced. Meaning that most likely we will have to deal with his pitfalls in the playoffs just like smush this season. He has to learn how to win with teammates in the triangle.

As far as Cassell he is a veteran guard something we need ALOT. however he is too much of a veteran, pushing 40 years of age. He couldl definately help but we need to use the MLE wisely this year.

I believe the happy medium of these players is Mike James. Incredible 3 point shooter, can defend solidly for stretches in games and is quick with the ball in his hands. He has Nba finals experience and could be the number 2 scorer we are looking for. I think he would be the ultimate fit for us at the PG spot. granted people tend to overract to comments by James he played lights out this season and i think he would be a great addition to the roster.
Now_I_Know
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
Banks on the othe hand you can bet is going to want a long term 4 to 5 year contract just like Antonio Daniels last summer and that right there could be the deal breaker and would increase our chances of geting Sam Cassell.

I think Banks is fine with the MLE...He supposedly really wants to be a Laker.
Now_I_Know
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Cassell would be a short term fix and the team would take a big step back after he retired. I'd go for Banks.

Isn't a short term fix what we're looking for? Cuz then 2007/2008 is said to be when we go all out...

Last edited by Now_I_Know on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Now_I_Know
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

datniggbstyle wrote:
I have major concerns with both players. Marcus Banks is raw undeveloped talent with a passion for defense but he is young, inexperienced. Meaning that most likely we will have to deal with his pitfalls in the playoffs just like smush this season. He has to learn how to win with teammates in the triangle.

As far as Cassell he is a veteran guard something we need ALOT. however he is too much of a veteran, pushing 40 years of age. He couldl definately help but we need to use the MLE wisely this year.

I believe the happy medium of these players is Mike James. Incredible 3 point shooter, can defend solidly for stretches in games and is quick with the ball in his hands. He has Nba finals experience and could be the number 2 scorer we are looking for. I think he would be the ultimate fit for us at the PG spot. granted people tend to overract to comments by James he played lights out this season and i think he would be a great addition to the roster.

Mark my words, we will NOT get Mike James with only the MLE to offer and a maximum of 2 years...I believe that to be more ludicrous than the last KG trade I proposed. He averaged over 20 points on 47% FG and 45% 3's. That's superstar numbers...Do you really think he's not gunna want something a little better? Let's be realistic here, it's either Cassell or Banks...And it's currently looking like Banks...PeACe
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

I actually think Banks would (or SHOULD) be willing to take a 2-year MLE with an option for a 3rd year. Banks' agent would probably try to negotiate that 3rd year as a player option, which is fine if he's willing to take a shorter contract. A contract longer than that would be a big risk, considering Banks hasn't even proven he's a full time starter yet (sorry, it takes more than a couple months to prove that).

Then if Banks exceeds expectations, he'd have the ability to negotiate a bigger contract sooner rather than later. I think that would work out for both sides. But for some reason I have a feeling Banks will sign a 4 year contract with an option on the 4th year.
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

The smart choice and safe bet should be Banks. But seeing as how Mitch is our GM we will probably get Sam.
Now_I_Know
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

(Some of) these replies need to be merged in here VVV

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=584544&highlight=#584544
RedRider307
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
The smart choice and safe bet should be Banks. But seeing as how Mitch is our GM we will probably get Sam.

Sam fits the 2008 plan and is a better player right now... especially if we pull the trigger with Chicago. Sam could play lighter minutes if we had Roy nd Smush backing him up. Sasha becomes your backup at 2.

Banks is just a variation on Smush, a marginal upgrade maybe
Now_I_Know
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Cassell said he would take the MLE with the Lakers, correct?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: