USC basketball will own UCLA in the years to come
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

Mayo Recap

It lasted about 20 hours but heralded recruit O.J. Mayo’s visit to USC is over. So what’s the bottom line?
I asked four players who participated in a series of pickup games with Mayo in the North Gym on Thursday where the No. 1 player in the country will go to college and they unanimously said the same thing: USC.
None play for USC, so they didn’t exactly gain anything by saying it.
``He’s coming,’’ one said.
Mayo’s commitment could be a four-fer because his highly regarded teammate, forward Bill Walker, ranked No.2 behind Mayo by Rivals.com, is expected to accompany him along with center Aaron Pogue and perhaps another undisclosed player.

Diarra To USC

Mamadou Diarra, a 6-10 center from Stoneridge Prep in Simi Valley, said he will officially commit to USC next week after talking to his coach, who is currently in France.
``I want to come (to USC),’’ Diarra said. ``They have a good coach and I want to stay in Los Angeles.’’
Diarra is ranked the 26th-best player in the nation by Rivals.com.

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/
4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

LABigBoi wrote:

And if we are going to start talking about legal troubles, shall I remind you of the recent troubles of Medlock, Manning, Drew, etc? Most big time, big city schools have forms of legal troubles with their athletes from time to time. So let's not go there...

Medlock was suspended immediately, as he should have been.

Had Manning still been with the team, he would have been as well. If true, what he did is deplorable.

Drew? Check your sources; he was simply sitting and EATING at the next table.

Working with many high school student-athletes (I will have more of my kids playing football at USC than UCLA), part of the appeal of SC is the street mentality they portray. Having coaches who call players the "N" word has its appeal to many kids.

Talking to many of my kids, the appeal of being able to live the "thug life," knowing they can get away with it is one of the draws there. The "I own the police" mentality is there, wheher one likes it or not.

It really is a matter of which of my kids want to leave the hood, so to speak, or those who stay hood. I know both Coaches KD and PC, and their approach is entirely different. I have seen them recruit many of my kids in person, both on campus and in the recruits homes.

Regarding Galen, it is clear that it will be an upgrade. Whether one wants to admit that or not, the program across town will have better facilities... for now.

The question is will that lead to a makeover of sorts in their program, or a short term bump?

The honest truth is that UCLA and USC do not play by the same set of rules. There are some players who would intrigue me and concern me at the same time if my school were recruiting them. Brandon Jennings, who is transferring to Oak Hill, and will end up at UConn eventually is one of those types of kids, imho. Mayo is another, but I do not think what scares me about these kids' situations is something that SC has to worry about.

1-0. Six more times.

So let success be my sweetest revenge...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:

^^^To elaborate, Drew was CLEARED of all charges by the D.A.'s office. Charges were flat-out dropped.

MIM
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
^^^To elaborate, Drew was CLEARED of all charges by the D.A.'s office. Charges were flat-out dropped.

MIM

so were all the USC players, except for Malaluga
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

MIM

so were all the USC players, except for Malaluga

Like I said above. Kids know that if they produce on the field they can bend some rules. Ask Thomas Herring. And even those who bend them who aren't on the field can simply "transfer." Ask Whitney Lewis.

Part of the appeal for elite athletes to attend USC is the win factor. As long as they are winning, everything will work itself out. Maualuga said it, "I own the police."

Even my kids who play for other schools don't see what is wrong with SC athletes breaking or bending the rules. They simply label those who are investigating the Jarrett, Bush, and Sanchez situations as "haters."

Many of them acknowledge that they wish their schools would allow the things their boys at SC are afforded.

Despite rivalries on the filed, it is still like a fraternity, and they talk amongst themselves about what goes on.

1-0. Six more times.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject:

See Montgomery Burn wrote:
(bleep) USC and everyone who's ever attended.
straightforward and to the point! My kind of poster
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Love iz Streetz. dude is crazy....UCLA will crush SC basketball. What, are they gonna send that dude with the mohawk...oooh...scary!
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't look like Fox Sports thinks $C will be owning UCLA in 2008...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5817070

And OJ Mayo? Puh-leeze... you know what happens when you have OJ, Mayo, and nothing else?

MIM
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Love is not near the player that Mayo is, that said Mayo is without a doubt one and done, not a very good student. Where as Love I see playing 2 maybe even 3 years.

Love is a nice prospect, but talent wise, you probably can't find a coach in the nation that at least as reguards to talent would take Love over Mayo.

But UCLA will probably still be the better team from top to bottom for the next few years.
"Kobe Bryant is an absolute nightmare. You can hold your breath, send for help, sacrifice a chicken, it won't matter. Kobe Bryant is coming for you. He's got the ball and he's going to score...some way, some how."
Dancing Barry
thetin31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Mayo will never play for USC. He will not pass his SATs and will be forced to prep school for a year and then to the NBA.

UCLA FOR LIFE!

2008-2009 Back to Back National Championships await!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Which do you guys think will be bigger? OJ mayos first nba contract or the amount of money usc gave him?
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
Which do you guys think will be bigger? OJ mayos first nba contract or the amount of money usc gave him?

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
I doubt Mayo will decide on USC. But it would be great for L.A. if he does.

Chase Budinger will hand OJ Mayo his arse on the court.

Watch out for Arizona, Budinger is going to be their next superstar player.
JAY
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject:

The Mike wrote:
Love is not near the player that Mayo is

surely your are joking
4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
TheRod wrote:
I doubt Mayo will decide on USC. But it would be great for L.A. if he does.

Chase Budinger will hand OJ Mayo his arse on the court.

Watch out for Arizona, Budinger is going to be their next superstar player.

C Bud is a talent for sure, but I am not sure he is the savior that Lute and the Mc D's dunk contest portray him to be. I actually really like a couple kids returning to Zona this year, and with the addition of C Bud, they should be better than last year. Actually, just the addition by subtraction of a bad apple helps out that team tremendously.

One thing no one has mentioned regarding UCLA hoops is the pick up of Ivan Dragovic. Drago is supposedly the real deal, and along with Shipp and Afflalo, I like the wing position situation for UCLA.

The biggest question is at PG, and if Collison can handle the bigger minutes, or if he gets injured or in foul trouble.

1-0. Six more times.

mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:

Nick Young at USC is a baller... I doubt he'll be around after next season, but Mayo-Young-Pruitt (who is also a baller) would be tough for other teams to matchup against. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, USC has recruited a couple of pretty good big men.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
beastmaster
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:

amen to that!
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

beastmaster wrote:

amen to that!

ignorant
4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Nick Young at USC is a baller... I doubt he'll be around after next season, but Mayo-Young-Pruitt (who is also a baller) would be tough for other teams to matchup against. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, USC has recruited a couple of pretty good big men.

Talent is not an issue with those three, but eligibility can or already is with 2 of them.

In terms of bigs, the guy this year will be Hawes imo. Combined with Brockman, U Dub will be nice up front.

Stanford has the Lopez twins coming in and Cal returns one of their bigs, so talent is there. Pendergraph looked really good for ASU last year, too.

The way I see it tentatively is:
1. UCLA
2. UW
3. UofA
4. Stanford
5. Cal/UO
7. ASU
8. SC
9. WSU/OSU

This is not intended to dis any team, but this is the way I see it this season, barring injuries.

If Mayo goes to SC, and Pruitt and Young are still around, their backcourt will be solid in 08.

1-0. Six more times.

angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject:

USC will be improved, but UCLA will have a better team.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject:

USC is a football school, basketball is just a program to fill out the brochure for prospective students. Much the same could be said for UCLA's football team, though they have had a trifle more success than USC's basketball team over the years.

People seem to throw the character card out there to diss the schools; I didn't attend either college and root for whichever L.A. school is in the postseason or playing another rival. Each school cares more about winning at the sport they are better at.

There seems to be more UCLA alumni on this board or at least more 14 year olds with UCLA jerseys than SC. But at least it takes time away from them writing the "Mitch Sucks!" threads.
FarmartoAfflalo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

The Mike wrote:
Love is not near the player that Mayo is, that said Mayo is without a doubt one and done, not a very good student. Where as Love I see playing 2 maybe even 3 years.

Love is a nice prospect, but talent wise, you probably can't find a coach in the nation that at least as reguards to talent would take Love over Mayo.

But UCLA will probably still be the better team from top to bottom for the next few years.

You surely have to be joking. Kevin Love is one of the most dominating prospects seen in the past 20 years as a big man. Bob Gibbons recently stated he is the best big man prospect he's seen in the last 30 years. Love is an excellent student and wants to make an impact at the NCAA level. Mayo, on the other hand, when he's not punching out girls, wants to head to USC or KANSAS STATE. Do you think it's a coincidence that UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Arizona and the others basketball powers aren't recruiting Mayo? $$$$$$$$ from struggling programs.

UCLA just added Kevin Love and Nikola Dragovic, two first round picks whenever they leave UCLA. The Bruins are becoming the powerhouse of not only the West, but the entire nation.
FarmartoAfflalo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
USC is a football school, basketball is just a program to fill out the brochure for prospective students. Much the same could be said for UCLA's football team, though they have had a trifle more success than USC's basketball team over the years.

People seem to throw the character card out there to diss the schools; I didn't attend either college and root for whichever L.A. school is in the postseason or playing another rival. Each school cares more about winning at the sport they are better at.

There seems to be more UCLA alumni on this board or at least more 14 year olds with UCLA jerseys than SC. But at least it takes time away from them writing the "Mitch Sucks!" threads.

No, it's actually the facts.

USC is trying to bring in Davon Jefferson, an incredible baller who not only failed out of high school, but also a prep school designated to take him into a division 1 school. Could you see Ben Howland trying to recruit a guy like that? No way.

Gabe Pruitt and Nick Young barely qualified to get into USC, with Pruitt academically ineligible this fall, while Young was ineligible a few years ago. Both of these guys will bolt whenever they have a chance to.

Stoneridge Prep is seen as one of the dirtiest prep schools in the country, yet USC is recruiting all their players.

Tim Floyd is a dirty coach and recruiter, as seen with his past history at Iowa State.

- CBS Sportsline's Greg Doyel on Tim Floyd

Updated: Feb/24/2006 09:50 AM
Bare it all, coach Floyd
Look here, Southern California. If you're going to be ethically suspect, go all out. Don't hide behind anonymous sources. If you're going to pursue the most notorious transcript in recent recruiting history, do it with your head held high. Do it and sneer. Don't do it and duck.

USC is ducking from the commitment by Davon Jefferson, whose academic apathy rivals that of Deion Sanders when Sanders was skipping school at Florida State.

Jefferson is one of the most physically gifted players in the national 2006 recruiting class. He's a 6-foot-8 wing who jumps over small buildings -- but never a library -- in a single bound. He could have the same impact on a college team next season that Brandon Rush has had this season at Kansas.

But about Jefferson's academics ...

They're nonexistent. He skipped so much school at Lynwood (Calif.) High that he couldn't get eligible this past season at UNLV. So he went to a prep school, Patterson in Lenoir, N.C., that is becoming known for producing great players with their Division I eligibility intact.

Not Jefferson. He skipped so much school there -- I got that information from a Patterson coach -- that he was booted from the team. Understand, if you're booted from a prep basketball program like Patterson, you're not academically indifferent. You're academically comatose.

It's not that Jefferson can't do the work. It's that he has never tried to do it. He now will try to graduate through correspondence courses -- literally, he's going to get his diploma in the mail -- and then present himself as an academically viable student-athlete.

So USC coach Tim Floyd offered a scholarship. That's the story as Jefferson understands it. He told Scout.com that he has committed to USC.

USC, through a source who probably looks and sounds exactly like Tim Floyd, told the Los Angeles Times that the school has not committed its final available scholarship to Jefferson.

That's Floyd covering his rear end. Too late, Tim. Your rear end is showing.

As for you, Davon Jefferson: Get your diploma, and then get your ass to junior college.
Caron1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Typical Ruin whining and spin. Keep crying while SC continues to mop the floor with your football team. Its no suprise there is all this complaining coming from Ruins, they see SC bball is on the rise and will actually compete (although we DID beat their beloved Final 4 team last year....) for the years to come. But hey, you guys can have your womens softball, cricket, water polo, etc titles and continue to brag about those...
4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:
Typical Ruin whining and spin. Keep crying while SC continues to mop the floor with your football team. Its no suprise there is all this complaining coming from Ruins, they see SC bball is on the rise and will actually compete (although we DID beat their beloved Final 4 team last year....) for the years to come. But hey, you guys can have your womens softball, cricket, water polo, etc titles and continue to brag about those...

It appears like you are the one whining and spinning.

First, this is a thread about hoops on a hoops site. I hope my boys Alfred and Travon represent SC better than you do. Try to win with some class.

The bottom line is this... even if the entire Pac 10 were to win 20+ games a year for the next 10 years, most Bruins are not worried about what the rest of the Pac does. We plan to do it as well, if not better.

No one is denying the talent of the guys Floyd is looking at, but it seems like some SC fans are trying to spin that Love is nothing compared to Mayo. Who is trying to graduate from the Spin School of Medicine on that one?

Floyd is doing an incredible job associating SC with big time talent, but given the progress that Howland is making in Westwood we will gladly face whatever the Pac brings. As a matter of fact, if conference is more competitive, then it only leads to further runs in March.

Look, if C Bud at UofA, Hawes at UW and the Lopez twins at Stanford improve their teams as much as Floyd's recruits do, then bring them on. It will make late Dec through early March that much more exciting.

1-0. Six more times.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: