Farmar's athleticism vs others
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bko32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Farmar's athleticism vs others

Lots of people who both like the Farmar pick and also who don't like the pick are surprised about his athleticism. Here are the combine results of some of the top players in this year's draft. Farmar was ranked as the 12th best athlete overall. He tested better than guys like Tyrus Thomas and Brando Roy.

Player Rank No step Max Bench Lane Sprint
vertical vertical press agility
Rodney Carney 5 32 38.5 10 10.57 3.06
Randy Foye 6 32 38 14 10.53 3.23
Jordan Farmar 12 33.5 42 11 11.07 3.17
Tyrus Thomas 21 34 39.5 8 11.36 3.2
Rudy Gay 26 33 40.5 9 11.03 3.32
Brandon Roy 30 34 40.5 6 11.13 3.27
Maurice Ager 37 29.5 35 11 11.73 3.22
Shawne Williams 57 32 31 0 10.69 3.3
Marcus Williams 73 24.5 28 4 11.3 3.4

sorry the numbers are all convulted and confusing to read. can't seem to get the post to format the way i want. sorry
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

How much weight do they use on the Bench press.
bko32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
How much weight do they use on the Bench press.

185lbs.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmar's athleticism vs others

bko32 wrote:
Lots of people who both like the Farmar pick and also who don't like the pick are surprised about his athleticism. Here are the combine results of some of the top players in this year's draft. Farmar was ranked as the 12th best athlete overall. He tested better than guys like Tyrus Thomas and Brando Roy.

Player Rank No step Max Bench Lane Sprint
vertical vertical press agility
Rodney Carney 5 32 38.5 10 10.57 3.06
Randy Foye 6 32 38 14 10.53 3.23
Jordan Farmar 12 33.5 42 11 11.07 3.17
Tyrus Thomas 21 34 39.5 8 11.36 3.2
Rudy Gay 26 33 40.5 9 11.03 3.32
Brandon Roy 30 34 40.5 6 11.13 3.27
Maurice Ager 37 29.5 35 11 11.73 3.22
Shawne Williams 57 32 31 0 10.69 3.3
Marcus Williams 73 24.5 28 4 11.3 3.4

sorry the numbers are all convulted and confusing to read. can't seem to get the post to format the way i want. sorry

It looks much better when you try and quote it, but it's easier to look at on this page:
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1352
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

farmar beat everybody in the max vert!!!!
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I can read 'em. It is intriguing. The obvious area of concern is the low lane-agility score. He obviously has problems with lateral quickness, which hints that he's never going to be a good man-defender at the NBA level. The vertical was definitely a surprise, but the more I think back to the games I saw with him, he's a lot like Roy: neither throws down thunderous dunks or looks like a high-fly act, but both have terrific hang-time as well as strength in the air. Consequently, they're good finishers that are creative around the hoop and also good at drawing fouls. He never looked very explosive but it's possible his injuried had a lot to do with that. It would interesting to see older tape from high school or of his workouts. The Lakers clearly liked what they saw when they worked him out twice.

The sprint time is very encouraging. He's second only to Carney, which shows he had a great top-end gear. He didn't get to show that much at UCLA with their extreme version of the slow-it-down offense, but it'll definitely be an asset in the league. Really, it looks like the only physical limitation is that he'll never be a good man defender again the quicker points in the league.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

loseyourname wrote:
I can read 'em. It is intriguing. The obvious area of concern is the low lane-agility score. He obviously has problems with lateral quickness, which hints that he's never going to be a good man-defender at the NBA level. The vertical was definitely a surprise, but the more I think back to the games I saw with him, he's a lot like Roy: neither throws down thunderous dunks or looks like a high-fly act, but both have terrific hang-time as well as strength in the air. Consequently, they're good finishers that are creative around the hoop and also good at drawing fouls.

The sprint time is very encouraging. He's second only to Carney, which shows he had a great top-end gear. He didn't get to show that much at UCLA with their extreme version of the slow-it-down offense, but it'll definitely be an asset in the league. Really, it looks like the only physical limitation is that he'll never be a good man defender again the quicker points in the league.

He can probably get a lot better in his lateral quickness. He did play all year on two sprained ankles. Once he spends some time working with the Lakers training staff on strengthening the ligaments in his ankles he should gain some lateral quickness.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
bko32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

loseyourname wrote:
I can read 'em. It is intriguing. The obvious area of concern is the low lane-agility score. He obviously has problems with lateral quickness, which hints that he's never going to be a good man-defender at the NBA level. The vertical was definitely a surprise, but the more I think back to the games I saw with him, he's a lot like Roy: neither throws down thunderous dunks or looks like a high-fly act, but both have terrific hang-time as well as strength in the air. Consequently, they're good finishers that are creative around the hoop and also good at drawing fouls. He never looked very explosive but it's possible his injuried had a lot to do with that. It would interesting to see older tape from high school or of his workouts. The Lakers clearly liked what they saw when they worked him out twice.

his lane agility score is 11.07. that's faster than Roy and Ager. I wouldn't say that's a bad score. Nothing great, but not bad either.
bko32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:

thanks, i figured someone would have a link or post this better than me.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject:

He should be able to heal his ankles by sitting on the bench i guess.
bko32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

bko32 wrote:
loseyourname wrote:

his lane agility score is 11.07. that's faster than Roy and Ager. I wouldn't say that's a bad score. Nothing great, but not bad either.

actually, after reviewing the link that was posted, Farmar's lane agility score was 21st fastest out of all players who tested. Faster than Roy and Ager, as stated above, but also faster than Brewer and a tad slower than Gay. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with his agility in my opinion.
bko32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
He should be able to heal his ankles by sitting on the bench i guess.

just like Bynum was able to rest his weary muscles from all the weight training he did last season.
Mr. NBA Logo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Not counting the NCAA final, the guy has a tremendous floor I.Q.

Still think he's a good pick.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject:

Farmar may have some athletic talent he hasn't used at UCLA.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:

Yes, I have a good feeling we are all going to love this guy!
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject:

Hey, if Jordan can run a proper fastbreak - having the ball in the middle of the floor, with two players running the wings - that skill ALONE will justify the pick.

It frustrates me to no end watching us run our fastbreaks over the past 5 years. It was either completely unbalanced with Fisher bringing it up along the sidelines, or Kobe just taking it all by himself not looking to pass (or forcing some behind-the-back pass in traffic).

Hopefully, Farmar can run a REAL fastbreak.
ZerglingsRUS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:

bko32 wrote:
bko32 wrote:
loseyourname wrote:

actually, after reviewing the link that was posted, Farmar's lane agility score was 21st fastest out of all players who tested. Faster than Roy and Ager, as stated above, but also faster than Brewer and a tad slower than Gay. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with his agility in my opinion.

I would say that the score is pretty bad. Although he beat the likes of Roy, Ager, and Brewer, Farmar's time is not really a fast time. Remember, Roy, Ager, and Brewer are much taller than Farmar, and thus should be slower in the agility drills. Gay, being 6-7, and still faster than Farmar is pretty impressive. Comparing Farmar to someone like Foye or Lowery would be better.
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:

And there is certainly no reason to believe he will utilize it in the pros. I have never (and I watch many UCLA games) seen an athletic drive from him. All those measurables can get thrown out the window. If you have a great verticle but don't use it, what is it worth?

No matter what light you try to shine on him, he won't be bright. Average PG at best
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:

^^there's a lot of guys out there like that. you dont know what you're getting yourself into. because some guys have athletic ability and they use every ounce of it. now if something were to happen where they get a leg injury, and they can't come back the same. their game would be shot (amare anyone). Thats the beauty of guys who conceal their athletic abilities, until you absolutely need it. I was somewhat like this when i played ball back in the day. most people didn't know how fast i could run, or high i could jump, or how quick i was, until the game demanded that i used one of those talents to defend, rebound, or score. I can still remember one time some guy threw me an awful lob. Waaay to high. But because it was for game point. I jumped so high i hit my elbow on the backboard to tip it in. now i dont think i've ever jumped that high again. but thats just an example of how a lot of these hidden athletes play the game.

but like i said, if a guy like Farmar gets a leg injury and has to comeback. he will still be just as effective. because his game isn't based on his athletic ability. and thats what you like to see.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

I'm sure there are also players that test high, but never use it in a game.
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

11 reps is impressive by just looking at him. I wonder how man Flaco Vujavic could pull.

I never really saw him as an athlete at UCLA, but I guess he's just deceptive.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

^^

Flaco Vujavic

MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
Hey, if Jordan can run a proper fastbreak - having the ball in the middle of the floor, with two players running the wings - that skill ALONE will justify the pick.

It frustrates me to no end watching us run our fastbreaks over the past 5 years. It was either completely unbalanced with Fisher bringing it up along the sidelines, or Kobe just taking it all by himself not looking to pass (or forcing some behind-the-back pass in traffic).

Hopefully, Farmar can run a REAL fastbreak.

AMEN!

MIM
CNR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

ZerglingsRUS wrote:
I would say that the score is pretty bad. Although he beat the likes of Roy, Ager, and Brewer, Farmar's time is not really a fast time. Remember, Roy, Ager, and Brewer are much taller than Farmar, and thus should be slower in the agility drills. Gay, being 6-7, and still faster than Farmar is pretty impressive. Comparing Farmar to someone like Foye or Lowery would be better.

Let's look at the top PG prospects who were tested:

Randy Foye - 10.53 (stud - but that's why he went #7)
Allan Ray - 11.01
Farmar - 11.07
Will Blalock - 11.08
Marcus Williams - 11.3
Maurice Ager - 11.73
Mardy Collins - 12.0

Aside from Foye's very impressive time, Farmar showed very well here, and the fact that he was significantly faster laterally than Williams, and much, much faster than Ager and Collins definitely speaks to his lateral agility.

And Collins and Ager? Are you kidding me? Those two were significantly slower than Adam Morrison and even Shelden Williams. I know they're 6-5/6-6, but how can they be expected to guard the 1 with times like that?

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint

Last edited by CNR on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: