Superman returns thread (no spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Superman returns thread (no spoilers)

Who's seen it? What do you think?

I saw it and enjoyed it a lot. Thought it was a bit long and a bit overly symbollic in certain situations - ESPECIALLY near the end. Anyway, just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I saw it. I thought it was good, but I also feel that they missed an opportunity to make a truely GREAT film. It was good, not great. Spider-Man franchise is still #1.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
I saw it. I thought it was good, but I also feel that they missed an opportunity to make a truely GREAT film. It was good, not great. Spider-Man franchise is still #1.

I'm with ya..I give it a "B"

great special effects...this genesis camera is interesting. I saw it at the Mann chinese theatre in DLP...which was amazing...totally worth it if its this caliber movie..

as far as the plot goes...there were loop holes...things left unexplained...I won't spoil anything...

I thought some of the scene placing was "iffy"..

overall..I enjoyed myself...and thought it was worth my $11.25. We had a lively crowd...cheering and going nuts..esp when the spiderman trailer came out..
bootleg576
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject:

I really enjoyed the movie! I'm a sucker for comic book/video game movies. Something about seeing 2d characters come to life....

Anyway, I liked this movie enough that I might even see it again. But this is coming from someone that didn't really follow Superman (I was always more of an X-Men fan), so I really didn't know what was or wasn't supposed to be there. I came to the theatre with zero expectations which is probably why I liked it better than the atrocity that was supposed to be X3.

And it doesn't hurt that Brandon Routh is pretty hot
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:

I think Brian Singer did a good job of reintroducing the characters, which made it kind of tough to tell a great story... it's easy to introduce, but more difficult to reintroduce. I hope they make another one... that does for Superman what X-Men 2 did for X-Men.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject:

I thought it was a very good movie. They came into it knowing they'd have to make a real strong plot, and they did just that.

Very good bordering on great.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
notWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject:

I wasn't overly impressed. I liked it, but it wasn't a "Wow" kind of movie. I guess I really expected a lot more from Singer after he dropped out of X-Men 3.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject:

wow people i heard from say that they didn't like it. you guys give me hope!
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
wow people i heard from say that they didn't like it. you guys give me hope!

I think a lot of the problem is that today's generation - gosh I sound old - like the big bangs that an X-Men movie gives. Superman isn't like that and never was. Watch it, but don't expect to blow you away with the action.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

Batman Begins>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Spiderman movies>>X-Men 2 and 3>>>>>>Superman Returns.

Batman=GOAT super hero .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
Batman Begins>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Spiderman movies>>X-Men 2 and 3>>>>>>Superman Returns.

Batman=GOAT super hero .

I have to agree with you, but I'd put Supermans ahead of the X-Men movies. The 1989 Batman and Batman Begins are two of my favs of all time. I loved Spiderman 2, no. 1 not so much.
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

I thought this was really cute when i was reading this article about Superman...

Quote:
NEW YORK - It might be a hard sell to Average Joe, but tough guys do wear tights. Think of Renaissance warriors. Think of Errol Flynn, Superman and Kobe Bryant.

They've all worn tights and lived to tell. The tights actually have shown off their nicely toned muscles.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060629/ap_en_mo/film_superman_men_in_tights_2[/url]

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
bupby2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

The action scenes were awesome, plot was lacking, overall it was good, but not as good as Batman Begins!!
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
TheRod wrote:

I think Brian Singer did a good job of reintroducing the characters, which made it kind of tough to tell a great story... it's easy to introduce, but more difficult to reintroduce. I hope they make another one... that does for Superman what X-Men 2 did for X-Men.

Righ on man! You get it, x-men wasnt considered as great a movie until,x-men two enhanced it. The foundation layed in xmen , was more appriciated when we saw xmen 2. Thats y if u look around many consider the orginal xmen too be arguabley the best super hero movie ever. I hope singer decided too do the next superman movie, because you would see all the kind of forgoten work put into this superman, shown in the next one. Kind of confusing , but its evident in xmen and x2, and X3 while great was clearly different.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

In brief:

Not what I expected. Some points made me go "Huh?" More heart and grandeur than your usual summer action movie.

At its best, it made me feel like a 5-year-old watching the original "Superman" movie for the first time. Absoutely thrilling... in parts.

Singer's BEST comic book movie by far, but like his X-Men movies, makes you think the next one WILL be better, because this one wasn't all the way there.

MIM
LABigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Everybody has their own opinion, and here's mine. Superman Returns was DOPE. Probably one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm not sure why anyone is expecting a plot that rivals Pulp Fiction, it's a comic book movie. And for a comic book movie, it was amazing.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
In brief:

Not what I expected. Some points made me go "Huh?" More heart and grandeur than your usual summer action movie.

At its best, it made me feel like a 5-year-old watching the original "Superman" movie for the first time. Absoutely thrilling... in parts.

Singer's BEST comic book movie by far, but like his X-Men movies, makes you think the next one WILL be better, because this one wasn't all the way there.

MIM

Exactly. If he hadn't had to introduce all the characters so much, it would have been great.

You can not go into Superman movies expecting to be blown away by action. I thought the plot was great. I won't go into details, but his new idea to take over the world was amazingly "fail-proof". You're watching it in amazement thinking how can Superman change things.

Even the actors played their parts well. Brandon Routh nailed the "split personality" effect with his awkward Clark Kent and daringly confident, yet endearing Superman. Kevin Spacey played the part of Luthor well, such as his maniacal story-telling then fearful "oh no, get out of here, things are going bad" looks.

Great story, great characters, good acting, very good writing and directing, etc. Only thing that held it back was the "re-introduction" of the main characters, such as having to explain Jimmy Olsen's "man-crush" on Kent, Perry's jerkish obsession with pushing Superman down people's throats, etc.

Overall great movie. Best comic book movie ever, IMO.

Superman Returns>X-Men 1 and 3>Spiderman (all 3)>Batman Begins>X-Men 2>Superman (Reeves addition)>all previous Batman movies

That's my list of comic book movies. The rest are not even worth mentioning such as Affleck as Daredevil.

btw, Was it just me, or did Brandon Routh look and sound JUST like Christopher Reeves? Uncanny.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:

^ Agree with your points regarding the casting, acting, production, and direction of the film. It was exactly like the comic books, but without all the cheesyness. The only problem I had with the film was the lack of character development of Kent/Superman. I felt that they had the same 5 lines throughout the entire movie. Everything coming out of their mouth contained the same regurgitated themes. To me, it seemed that Batman had more personality in Batman Begins, than Superman did in Superman Returns.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
^ Agree with your points regarding the casting, acting, production, and direction of the film. It was exactly like the comic books, but without all the cheesyness. The only problem I had with the film was the lack of character development of Kent/Superman. I felt that they had the same 5 lines throughout the entire movie. Everything coming out of their mouth contained the same regurgitated themes. To me, it seemed that Batman had more personality in Batman Begins, than Superman did in Superman Returns.

I actually thought about that last night when I was watching it for the 2nd time. Seemed as though he didn't have but maybe 5 speaking parts throughout the movie. (watched it Wednesday by myself, then last night with my friends and what not)

Still, though, a great movie. Very captivating.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what Tim Burton would've done with the script...
notWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
I wonder what Tim Burton would've done with the script...

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:

i really enjoyed it.

don't go in there expecting a high octane action picture. this is more of a thoughtful, contemplative super hero story with a lot of heart. i highly reccomend.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:

My personal rankings, generally subject to change:

(1) Superman
-- Even though the bad guys are played for laughs, this is still the grandest, most epic portrayal of the superhero as myth you can see. Christopher Reeve was and forever will be da MAN.

(2) Batman Begins
-- Gaining on #1. FINALLY, a Batman movie about Bruce Wayne/ Batman, and not the flavor of the month as a bad guy. Drama and heightened realism by the ton. Awesome car. Stellar cast.

(3) Spiderman II
-- Angst, action, romance, getup-and-cheer moments. Best comic book fight scenes ever, even if Spidey stopping the L train defies even comic-book physics.

(4) Superman II
-- One of the best comic book fights EVER, but where the heck do Supes and Lois get a freaking Ford Mustang at the North Pole? Too much slapstick and silly British humor to take the crown.

(5) Spiderman I
-- Only hurt by inconsistent effects, occasionally hammy dialogue, a Power Ranger villain costume, and Macy Gray at a conveniently fancy public party. Otherwise, thrilling and emotionally moving.

(6) Superman Returns
-- Singer's best comic-book film, but still a bit schizophrenic in style and tone and pace. The film is better if you love the classics, but it doesn't stand on its own very well. Transition film.

(7) X2
-- ALMOST a true epic of the genre, but not all the way there. Another cliche death-ray at the end, and no love for Cyclops or Professor X. A collection of great scenes, but not a big, sweeping story.

(8) X-Men
-- All scenes, no story. A big cliche of having a big death ray at the end and another convenient black-tie party with foreign dignitaries.

(9) Daredevil: Director's Cut
-- Forget the theatrical version. Good work by Affleck, Garner, and Farrell. Unfortuantely, the director is not proficient or bold enough to make a consistent film; he can't decide whether to make it gritty or a fantasy.

(10) Batman
-- This isn't a comic book movie. This is a Tim Burton project. There is a difference. A heckuva cinematic vision, but not a truly character-driven tale. Batman Begins in a landslide.

MIM

Last edited by MIMLaker on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject:

C-.

Some of the cast choices were poor, movie was too long, relatively weak story, definitely lost interest in it in the last 30-45 minutes.

I'm beginning to think that I just don't care for Singer's work because I don't think much of X-Men 1 or 2 either.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
C-.

Some of the cast choices were poor, movie was too long, relatively weak story, definitely lost interest in it in the last 30-45 minutes.

I'm beginning to think that I just don't care for Singer's work because I don't think much of X-Men 1 or 2 either.

I agree with this 100%. The movie did drag on at certain points.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: