Nuggets resign Nene to 6-year deal - pursue Martin?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Nuggets resign Nene to 6-year deal - pursue Martin?

Yeah, I know that we don't have a true need for him but his contract length isn't a huge factor now that we've ditched the 2008 plan. There's something to be said for stockpiling quality bigs. If Martin started to look good at the beginning of next year perhaps we could use him in a package for Garnett or a quality PG. Yeah, I know pipe. But you buy low and sell high. His value is low right now but he's still a good player.

A package of Mihm, McKie, and a resigned Devean George may get it done.

Could play 4/5. I know he's not a true center but a lot of teams don't play with a true center and he could be part of our quick, agile lineup.
LaL08Kb12004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:

hell ******* no!!!
LaL08Kb12004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuggets resign Nene to 6-year deal - pursue Martin?

eagles nut wrote:
Yeah, I know that we don't have a true need for him but his contract length isn't a huge factor now that we've ditched the 2008 plan. There's something to be said for stockpiling quality bigs. If Martin started to look good at the beginning of next year perhaps we could use him in a package for Garnett or a quality PG. Yeah, I know pipe. But you buy low and sell high. His value is low right now but he's still a good player.

Could play 4/5. I know he's not a true center but a lot of teams don't play with a true center and he could be part of our quick, agile lineup.

i like your reasoning though
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:

If he came that cheap....ok, but we would still need a starting pg with only the LLE to get one
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:

no, injury prone...maybe ruined w/ that bad knee of his.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I'd jump all over it, I think the 3 months off will heal his injury very well.

but I really doubt the Lakers do it because of the 90million dollar contract.
Mailman04
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

They don't need Kenyon Martin. They need a PG.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Like the Bulls w/ Tyson...and Philly w/ Sam, something tells me Denver will be looking to deal Nene's 10 mil a year ass in a year or 2.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject:

link???
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I really dont think the Lakers are looking for a PF right now ... unless his name is KG. They promised Vlad the starting SF and see Lamar as a very competent PF after his performance in the last month of the season. SO as much as alot of us think the Lakers need shot blocking ... I dont think the Lakers see it the same way.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
Like the Bulls w/ Tyson...and Philly w/ Sam, something tells me Denver will be looking to deal Nene's 10 mil a year ass in a year or 2.

wow, if he really did get that much, k-mart is on his way out. they are tryign to "mend" the relationship to up his value
Born89FanIn95
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

ummm lemmee think about it.... umm... NO
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Denver Post

Quote:

He got married Saturday and on Sunday OK'd a deal that will net him $60 million over six years to stay with the team that drafted him.

LINK

ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
Denver Post

Quote:

He got married Saturday and on Sunday OK'd a deal that will net him $60 million over six years to stay with the team that drafted him.

LINK

thank you

thats crazy!!! 10 mil per for a guy that only played one game last season!!!
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:

wow!
and i say yes to k-mart
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Why do people think the 2008 plan is ditched? Don't get me wrong, I like Radman, but do you seriously think the Lakers would dump their 2008 plan for this guy??? As with any business, there is an exit strategy. If the Lakers want cap space in 2008, they WILL HAVE cap space in 2008. If you can get out of marriages, you can get out of contracts. Think about it folks.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuggets resign Nene to 6-year deal - pursue Martin?

eagles nut wrote:

A lot of teams don't play with a true center because they're still trying to get one. Teams that do have true centers go deep in the playoffs (i.e. Miami, Dallas, Cleveland, Detroit, Clippers) with the sole exception of the Suns, who are a run-n-gun team. Why else would teams want average guys like Pryzbilla or draft C's early? The quick, agile lineup left when Tomjanovich left. Phil runs the tri and he's always either had a decent 7 footer who can shoot midrange jumpers or a dominant bigman.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Martin is a back up at best!

yet hes getting paid Starter money

plus we juss signed Vlad Rad and he was promised a starting position

Kwame
Odom
Vlad Rad
Kobe
Smush

Bench
Martin/Bynum
Turiaf/Cook
Luke Walton/Evans
Von/ Pinnock
Sasha/ Farmar

thats a deep team!!!

Last edited by ArrOhBee on Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Why do people think the 2008 plan is ditched? Don't get me wrong, I like Radman, but do you seriously think the Lakers would dump their 2008 plan for this guy??? As with any business, there is an exit strategy. If the Lakers want cap space in 2008, they WILL HAVE cap space in 2008. If you can get out of marriages, you can get out of contracts. Think about it folks.

maybe people don't think they ditched the plan because of radman, but for the deal that is going to happen after this signing. a lot of posters believe that something else will happen, and radman was smaller part of the change.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Haven't seen anything confirming that a deal has been reached between Nene and the Nuggets. The closest thing I got was:

Quote:
The Nuggets have six free agents. Warkentien said he spoke Saturday to the agents of all of them, including Dan Fegan, who represents restricted free-agent big man Nene.

"I can confirm we've begun negotiations with Nene," said Warkentien, declining further comment on the big man who could command $10 million a year.

Karl reiterated his interest in wanting to hold on to Nene.

"I'm very confident about Nene," Karl said. "Everybody knows that I'd like to keep Nene."

The Nuggets would have seven days to match any offer for the big men. Among teams with cap room, Atlanta is said to be in the mix while Chicago is looking first at Ben Wallace and Joel Przybilla. Toronto looks as if it may not go after Nene after having drafted Andrea Bargnani and trading for Rasho Nesterovic.

NBA observers expect Nene's negotiations to not go quickly. Due to missing the rest of the season after suffering a knee injury in the opener, he would have to be looked at carefully by another team before an offer is made.

Also, the risk is increased due to Nene, who got married Saturday in Brazil, being a restricted free agent.

The Nuggets have two other free-agent big men in Reggie Evans and Francisco Elson, who is restricted. Karl said the Nuggets will move slowly on those two.

"Nene is ahead of him," Karl said when asked about Evans. He put Elson in a similar category, but then added that both "could be in our plans."

[url] http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4817877,00.html[/url]

Another interesting tidbit from the article:

Quote:
With Saturday being the first day teams could contact free agents, the Nuggets were busy on the phones. Agent Mark Bartelstein said they called to ask about several of his players.

"They called about Darius Songaila, Eddie House, Tony Delk, Jake Voskuhl, Aaron Williams and Devean George," Bartelstein said.

With shooting being Denver's top priority, House, who did not pick up his player option with Phoenix, and George, almost certain to leave the Los Angeles Lakers after they agreed to a deal with Vladimir Radmanovic, look to the two of the most interest on that list. The Nuggets did try to acquire Delk when his contract was bought out by Atlanta late last season, but he ended up in Detroit.

"I think everybody knows we need shooting," Warkentien said. "We were 30th in the league in (three-point shooting)."

ETA: Disregard. Just saw the Dener Post article.

K-Mart is history.

When's the earliest Radman can be traded?

Last edited by And 1 on Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Why do people think the 2008 plan is ditched?

Because their primary targets have all been offered max deals and will likely resign in the next 2 weeks.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I like Radman, but do you seriously think the Lakers would dump their 2008 plan for this guy???

No. They dumped the plan, then signed Vlad. They didn't dump the plan b/c of Vlad.

Quote:
As with any business, there is an exit strategy.

This was it. 2008 was the plan. This is the exit strategy for said plan.

Quote:
If the Lakers want cap space in 2008, they WILL HAVE cap space in 2008.

Sure. But they don't really want it anymore.

Quote:
If you can get out of marriages, you can get out of contracts. Think about it folks.

Uh, no, not quite the same thing. The Knicks, for instance, usually get stuck with every bad contract in the league. And they can't get out of them. The aforementioned K-mart will, in all likelihood, be a weight around the necks of Denver for a long time. They might want to dump the contract, but they won't be able to (even for cheap). Many times teams get stuck with bad contracts from bad decisions and other GMs will not help them out of the mess.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:

Kwame
Odom
Vlad Rad
Kobe
Smush

Bench
Martin/Bynum
Turiaf/Cook
Luke Walton/Evans
Von/ Pinnock
Sasha/ Farmar

thats a deep team!!!

k-mart would start, and rad will still get 30min pt playing behind odom and k-mart. where did he or the lakers say that a starting spot was promised? i only read he like the playing situation better here than with the clippers.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
When's the earliest Radman can be traded?

Irrelevant. He won't get traded this season.

You don't have Phil and Kobe call the guy to sucker him into a contract so that you can turn around and trade him a couple months later. That would look pretty bad and ruin their chances at future free agent acquisitions.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:

No, healthy, Martin is a starter.

Quote:

We don't know what Vlad was promised. We just know they wanted him, not if they wanted him to start or not. He'll likely be a starter, but we don't know for sure right now.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:

A backup AT BEST huh? He averaged 12.9 points and 6.3 rebounds in 27.5 minutes last year, despite his injury, and shot just under 50% from the field.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: