With Vlad Rad onboard, can Kwame realistically give us 15/10?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Why would we assume Kwame's fumbles will go down? It's just like in football: once a fumbler, always a fumbler. Difference in football is sometimes you can teach guys to carry the ball with two hands. Kwame cannot hold onto the ball. It wasn't increased focus on his part, it was softer passes on his teammates part. But Kwame can't expect soft passes every time. Sometimes the ball has to be zipped into the post. That's the problem with Kwame: he can't make tough plays, only the easy ones. He's more liability than threat. Is this guy worth 9 mil?

Does Tiki Barber (NYG running back) ring a bell? He was Captain Fumble for years until the drill sargeant became their coach and taght him how to tuck the ball.

Anyway, I do expect his fumbles to go down. I think Kwame was mesmerized by Staples, "his second chance," the triangle offense, the Laker history/mystique -- for whatever the reason he took almost a 1/2 a year to get it right. Again, this year he should have no excuse. There still is pressure on him to produce with most of it being on defense. Kwame's fumbles and other turnovers were magnified in games where his positive offensive production would have been the difference in a few games. Again with a team more experienced in the triangle + a 3 pt bomber, his offensive production would not be as much of a focal point or point of emphasis. He will need to catch the ball and make good decisions -- beit scoring or passing to the open man -- as this will establish a "presence" for us down low. A low post threat will make our perimeter players that much more effective. All he has to be is a threat. His FG % even in the playoffs was pretty high. But he can't shoot it until he catches the rock. Film study and coaching will take care of that.

Football was a bad comparison on my part. Avoiding fumbles is all about how you carry the ball. The most fumble prone players are guys that carry with one hand, or don't switch the ball away from tacklers well. That's something you can unlearn. The better comparison is Wide Receivers. You either can catch the ball or you can't. Kwame can't. What can he improve physically to make his hands better?
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

^^He has to thoroughly know his role in the triangle and how to improvise depending on what the defense is doing. He has to always be alert. Not sure what he could do to improve his hand/eye coordination (does he need eyeglasses or LASIX surgery?)

Frankly I don't know how to fix his game. Sports psychiatrist? 1 million hours of film study? Hire Horace Grant as his personal TRaIner? I don't know, but he is a professional so he better figure it out.

I'm one of his biggest fans. For glimpses he looks like a monster out there. On one occassion he can be found getting a steal from beyond half court, only to dribble by himself all the way for a dunk. But then he blows a point blank uncontested layup on another occasion. Frustrates the heck out of me. But I still have home in my main man Kwame "Battlecat" Brown.
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
kobe_somebody_odom wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
Bynum will reach 15/10 before Kwame. Kwame is not a good bball player. 15/10 are good player numbers, especially for a Center.

I mean Magloire put up 10/10 last year. Kwame is at best equal to Magloire.

IMO Kwame will be gone in a year or two. I prefer the Mihm/Bynum Center combo over Kwame/Mihm anyday.

Kwame is a weak-minded Center who quited on us in the playoffs. I say 11/8 at best next year.

You don't have a clue...

You dont have a clue if you think Kwame is a 15/10 player. How many current NBA centers average 15/10. If Kwame had 15/10 potential... he would be mentioned in Laker trades from other teams. Nodody wants freakin Kwame "the worst bust ever" Brown

Yao
Shaq

Only the best Centers average 15+/10+.

I think I have much more of a clue about what Kwame will bring than you do if you believe he will average 15/10-14/9 or anywher near close to that. He is Magloire at best....face it.

Dampier is better than Kwame Brown, and thats pretty sad when you consider another grown man called him Erica on National TV.

No hes not, dampier cant touch kwame, go ahead offer kwame too the mavs and watch cuban send dampier too L.A on a private jet, with the a limo and red carpet.

Go to a Mavs board and offer Kwame for Dampier. Kwame just like Banks is only valued by Laker fans.

Man you got problems. Question: Do we make the playoffs last year without Kwame's contributions? It's obvious you don't like the guy, but try answering with your intellect and not your hatred.

First, I would appreciate if you do not attack my intellect. [DELETED]

Do we make the playoffs if Smush never joined the Lakers? Probably not, because Sasha and Mckie would have been the only PG's.

That does not mean this player (Smush) is good or should remain a Laker. It just means he was integral to last years playoff run. Kwame fits in this category, and as person who has league pass and saw Kwame fumble passes for 65 games, I will not endorse him. We all saw him quit in Washington. Now he quit on the Lakers. What more evidence do you need. Replace Kwame with Dampier and the Lakers probably beat the Suns.

Kwame sucks and the entire NBA knows it. Even Darko was able to somewhat shed the bust label. We pay this guy 8M dollars and I think Laker fans deserve more than what Kwame provides for even 5M.

Is that an intellectual enough answer for you?

Get over it dude. No one is attacking or questioning your intelligence. I just wanted an unbiased opinion from a fellow Laker fan. I guess I should be careful for what I wish for...

you can use emoticons.

From an unbiased NBA fan, Kwame sucks. As a blind Laker fan, Kwame will average 15/10 next year.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Bynum will reach 15/10 before Kwame. Kwame is not a good bball player. 15/10 are good player numbers, especially for a Center.

IMO Kwame will be gone in a year or two. I prefer the Mihm/Bynum Center combo over Kwame/Mihm anyday.

Kwame is a weak-minded Center who quited on us in the playoffs. I say 11/8 at best next year.

I wouldn't say he quit on us. More like..after that whole rape allegation charge...he started getting called for ridiculous offensive fouls. Refs took Kwame (and our strategy of pound it inside) out of the game. IMO..that is why we lost the series. They forced us to run with phoenix..and of course we lost.

If there ever were a "hand-transplant" surgery...kwame should get it. He constantly fumbles the ball. Its so predictable. He gets the ball in a good offensive position by using his quickness and strength...but allows the defense to catch up to him by fumbling the ball thus nullifying any advantage he might have.

Part of it is him rushing his shot.
Another is not having a "go-to" move.
Another is having small hands.

All summer long he should pratice having people rocket the ball at him and catching it. Then we can have this discussion. Until then, he's stonehands Brown- Jordan's Bust
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject:

LaL08Kb12004 wrote:

sorry if i offend you, BUT WTF ARE YOU SMOKING?
we are not waiving kwame, and if he is so bad as you make him out to be, no one will want him in a trade. His contract runs past 2 years. Id really prefer Kwame/ Bynum combo and trade mihm. mihm gets in foul trouble to much. if it wasnt for foul trouble he could be top 5 or 6 C in the lg IMO.

Kwame quit on us??????? plz..... were we watching the same playoffs? were you watcing the same one i was where he steped up his PPG and RPG avg in the playoffs from the regular season? he definitely came to play in that series and was tearing the suns D ( however good that is) apart. he completely over powered the suns "center"

Kwame's contract is up in 2 years. In 1 year he will be an expiring contract that hopefully is traded.

Kwame DID NOT dominate the Suns series. His numbers were not dominate. His presence was not dominate. Diaw, Thomas, or whoever Kwame played owned him. Please take off the Laker glasses.

Tearing the Suns D???? I wont even respond to that one. Where was he in game 6.... 7... The first 65 games...

And lastly, he is as bad as I make him out to be. That is exactly why Laker fans are the only ones who actually like Kwame. Other teams see good in Smush, Odom, even Cook, although they all get way more hate than Kwame on here. Kwame is known as a universal bust (especially at 8M) and hopefully like I said, is gone in a year or two, either as an expiring contract or FA.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:

so..youre telling me that Mitch Kupchak found a way to get Vladimir Radmonivic...if that's who Vlad Rad is...coool.

EDIT: missed the sticky on top, it's Vladimir alright...good pickup by Mitch...23 pages and counting. A lot to read to catch up...bummer, Odom lost a child.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Had we played the Spurs in the first round, perhaps some people would realize what his true value is to this team. He locked down defensively on several of the game's best bigmen, Duncan included this year. Kwame took him completely out of his game. Everyone is so busy looking on the other side of the court and ignoring the man D Kwame can play against some the game's elite bigmen. That's his real value. And had we needed to play the Spurs...or the Heat...Kwame's real value would have been a lot clearer to people.

As far as his offensive numbers... they improved quite a bit (not because of minutes...because he had minutes at times throughout the season but couldn't perform). They improved because he moved to the C spot and slowed down his game. He dropped his hyper post moves and went to simple jumphooks. He also started to finish a little stronger at the rim. He's apparently still rehabbing his leg, so hopefully we'll see him try to finish stronger a bit more next season.

Since he started in the Kings game on March 14, Kwame average 12.5 points and 8.3 boards in the final 22 games. Those are the kinds of numbers the Lakers were hoping he would give them. I'm not sure he improves to the numbers that Phil set for him, but if they keep him at the C, even with Vlad Rad in the lineup, Kwame's numbers should likely be around that 12-8. He gets a lot of garbage points and a few simple post looks...the real difference in his numbers will not be from anything Vlad Rad does, but it will be from the minutes given to Mihm and whether or not Kwame can find any production while playing with Mihm at the PF spot. If Mihm is still on the team and they go back to splitting duty, that's where the reduction will come from.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Had we played the Spurs in the first round, perhaps some people would realize what his true value is to this team. He locked down defensively on several of the game's best bigmen, Duncan included this year. Kwame took him completely out of his game. Everyone is so busy looking on the other side of the court and ignoring the man D Kwame can play against some the game's elite bigmen. That's his real value. And had we needed to play the Spurs...or the Heat...Kwame's real value would have been a lot clearer to people.

As far as his offensive numbers... they improved quite a bit (not because of minutes...because he had minutes at times throughout the season but couldn't perform). They improved because he moved to the C spot and slowed down his game. He dropped his hyper post moves and went to simple jumphooks. He also started to finish a little stronger at the rim. He's apparently still rehabbing his leg, so hopefully we'll see him try to finish stronger a bit more next season.

Since he started in the Kings game on March 14, Kwame average 12.5 points and 8.3 boards in the final 22 games. Those are the kinds of numbers the Lakers were hoping he would give them. I'm not sure he improves to the numbers that Phil set for him, but if they keep him at the C, even with Vlad Rad in the lineup, Kwame's numbers should likely be around that 12-8. He gets a lot of garbage points and a few simple post looks...the real difference in his numbers will not be from anything Vlad Rad does, but it will be from the minutes given to Mihm and whether or not Kwame can find any production while playing with Mihm at the PF spot. If Mihm is still on the team and they go back to splitting duty, that's where the reduction will come from.

Great post DB... I truly believe that the way Kwame finished the season should be the worst case scenario for him this season. If he can just take his time and let the game come to him (on offense) and hustle his arse off on defense, he is gonna shock millions of people. Even a few Laker fans
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: