I think we already have our starting pg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:

DicksHutnick wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
If Smush starts next year, we go no farther than the first round. That's not even debatable.

Its not debatable, but not for the reason you think. The reason it isn't debatable is because it's so early, it's too early to even tell to what degree its too early to make predictions about next season's playoffs.

You are, literally, clueless.

Early? Phil Jackson had to ask a Professional Basketball Player if he wanted to play...IN THE PLAYOFFS. That man was Smush Parker, the single worst defender at the 1 in the league and team cancer that cost the Lakers a first round win. Again, if Parker was a scrapper, a guy that when his shot wasn't falling, decided to defend we'd be talking about a different scenario. Smush was a stop-gap, he was a failure, move on, grow, adapt. The Lakers are too storied to have a CBA castoff in the lineup.

The truly clueless are the dunk watchers that think that throwing the same guy out on the court is going to produce a different result. The very definition of stupidity is doing something that has failed in the past, over and over, expecting a different result.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
If Smush starts next year, we go no farther than the first round. That's not even debatable.

I'll debate it...

We just need a better more balanced team. Case in point: is J-Will better than Smush? How about Avery Johnson back in the day? These two prove that you don't need a HOF pg to win it all. Now granted the Spurs and Heat were loaded, but to see we won't get out the 1st round with Smush starting is silly...

Beyond silly, it's stupid. Why does everyone think he'll get worse for some reason? Even if he's exactly the same player as he was last year, if Kwame and Mihm learn to coexist and Vlade is doing his defense-stretching best the Lakers will go deep.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
That man was Smush Parker, the single worst defender at the 1 in the league and team cancer that cost the Lakers a first round win.

No really, I'm serious. You're excused. I've got it from here.
eagle816
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Smush starting at PG next year
baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
The difference is that Kobe had the guts to take those shots in the Utah playoff game where Smush was scared s...tless!!

The difference is no one wanted to take the shots when kobe did. Smush was slumping and trying his best not to hurt the team. When you have a guy like kobe whose always calling for the ball, and your slumping, your reaction is to pass it. Yes he choked in the playoffs, he also hit a big three and stole it from nash to help force overtime. That steal was extremely clutch. He had ups and downs in the series. This was his first playoff series and he had to guard one of the top point guards in the league, what do you expect? The guy is a baller, and I fully expect him to be alot better next year. We need more depth at the guard spot, but smush will get alot of minutes regardless of who we bring in.
WestCCa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:

DicksHutnick wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

I'll debate it...

We just need a better more balanced team. Case in point: is J-Will better than Smush? How about Avery Johnson back in the day? These two prove that you don't need a HOF pg to win it all. Now granted the Spurs and Heat were loaded, but to see we won't get out the 1st round with Smush starting is silly...

Beyond silly, it's stupid. Why does everyone think he'll get worse for some reason? Even if he's exactly the same player as he was last year, if Kwame and Mihm learn to coexist and Vlade is doing his defense-stretching best the Lakers will go deep.

I don't deny that Smush can contribute to this team. He was a pleasant suprise last season in the sense that he proved he at least deserves a place at the table in this league.

Of course with the right combination of players, we could go deep with Smush as a starter.

However, there are better PG's to be had out there. If Smush was as talented as some believe him to be, he wouldn't have bounced around like he has, and will in all liklihood continue to do.

He's a journeyman. He'd be solid to have off of the bench, but he is certainly not the long term answer at PG. That's why the Lakers have made finding a new starter a priority.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject:

DicksHutnick wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

I'll debate it...

I agree...
Smush will gain more respect after about a month. Yeah he struggled at the end of last season, but he has talent.

The thing I look forward to is how this particualar player comes in this season. Don't think for a minute that the people who he looks up to haven't bent his ass up over his final minutes of the season. I look for Smush to come in looking hellacious next season myself.

If you don't think Smush is embarrassed,and looking for redemption next year. Your going to be in for a surprise...
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I remember when the spurs won their 2nd championship and Tony Parker was horrible in the finals. Well the Spurs looked to sign Jason Kidd that summer but Kidd resigned with the Nets. The Spurs stayed with Tony and I'm pretty sure that worked out well. Now I am not comparing Smush to Tony, but i think this shows that Smush's playoff performance shows nothing.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:

WestCCa wrote:

Of course with the right combination of players, we could go deep with Smush as a starter.

However, there are better PG's to be had out there.

Of course there are better points to be had -- but the value of a point versus the value of a big (Mihm) isn't the same. Smush is good enough that I'd feel more comfortable with the Lakers keeping Mihm and trying to assult people with their newfound size.
Quote:

If Smush was as talented as some believe him to be, he wouldn't have bounced around like he has, and will in all liklihood continue to do.

That's bogus -- lots of successful players started out their careers by bouncing around. Ben Wallace bounced around, John Starks didn't even start his career in the NBA, Earl Boykins, etc.
Quote:

That's why the Lakers have made finding a new starter a priority.

They made it such a priority that they signed a small forward to a long term contract?
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
DicksHutnick wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

I'll debate it...

I agree...
Smush will gain more respect after about a month. Yeah he struggled at the end of last season, but he has talent.

The thing I look forward to is how this particualar player comes in this season. Don't think for a minute that the people who he looks up to haven't bent his ass up over his final minutes of the season. I look for Smush to come in looking hellacious next season myself.

If you don't think Smush is embarrassed,and looking for redemption next year. Your going to be in for a surprise...

The only thing Smush needs to do is work on moving his feet, a bit of shooting and giving his legs time to rest. He does those things he'll be much better than he was last year, and he was good last year.
Mailman04
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Why don't they just try and sign Tony Delk. He can be a combo guard and is good on D and can stroke it as well. He is a veteran who if he would sign for LLE for two years, what's the risk?
LaL08Kb12004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I think we already have our starting pg

dcarter4kobe wrote:
In Smush Parker.... In basicly his first full year of the NBA he put up 11,3 and 3 with almost 2 steals. I know he had some bad play-off games but was Kobe perfect in his first play-offs.??The answer is no(Im not saying Smush is Kobe).I know his man to man defense is bad and it seem like he just did not care closeing up the season, but have you thought of why??? Its something called fatigue. Playing in almost 90+ games for about 35mins will take a toll on your body for a player playing in basicly his first season.

For next year I expect him to play defense like he did at the start of the season, his legs will be stronger ableing him to play better defense, and I except him to atleast put up 12,4 and 4 with 2 steals.

I still think he needs to improve his mid-range game and man to man d in the summer.And we also need to add a good vet. back-up guard like Chris Duhon who we can get for Chris Mimh.

From Psydesho
psydesho wrote:
You know what I wish - I wish you guys were around the years the Lakers lost in the Finals during the 80's. Excluding the sweep by Philly (maybe the most dominant playoff run against high competition ever), we choked in the other Finals contest. The Lakers should have had 7 (in 83 Sampson hit a buzzer beater that must have been sent by God) rings in that decade, but Magic, Worthy and crew choked them away with turn overs, missed free throws and bad passes.

You know what - their #'s are in the rafters in Staples Center and the Hall of Fame. You know why - because **** happens. People make mistakes. All the great players learn from them, get a drive to excel, come back and dominate. Just ask Kobe. It would have been easy for him to slink away after throwing up 4 long air balls in a row in Utah. Now he is the best basketball player on the planet.

Smush is talented. Smush is driven or else he wouldn't be playing now. He has had every opportunity to quit pushing for his dream, but he hasn't. He grew up a lot this year and he'll continue to grow. He knows he choked and has not run away from it. That is the starting point.

His contract is cheap and truth be told, he gave us more than what we paid him for in NBA terms. Would you rather have him or Hedo Turkolu and his overpaid skill set.

Point being - BACK OFF OF SMUSH! To those hating on him, I hope the people surrounding/supporting you give up the next time you falter under pressure. Enjoy the cold. You deserve it.

To go along with Shoes and Hector - let him earn it. He will. I promise

100% agree. i have supported smush ever since he was tearing it up in the preseaosn last year. people are way to quick to judge these kids. he is practically a rookie and put up chris paul numbers. we all would jump for joy if we got chris paul..... but when we have smush all you hear is " we need to package some sort of deal to get a pg" WE HAVE A SOLID YOUNG PG. i love his SPG, always a good way to get easy points on the other end....... why would you want to get rid of that?
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:

practically a rookie.

Was Jermaine O'Neal a rookie his first year in Indiana?

Just because a guy is bounced around for 4 years doesn't make him a rookie. It means like many rookies he didn't warrant PT because he stunk it up.

I don't expect much improvement from Smush.

I think he'd actually play better off the bench. As the season wore on the fullcourt pressure we were excited about in the SPL and preseason disappeared.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
I remember when the spurs won their 2nd championship and Tony Parker was horrible in the finals. Well the Spurs looked to sign Jason Kidd that summer but Kidd resigned with the Nets. The Spurs stayed with Tony and I'm pretty sure that worked out well. Now I am not comparing Smush to Tony, but i think this shows that Smush's playoff performance shows nothing.

Good post
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:

I don't even care about Smush's postseason play.

It's his play all season. Plays good once every 4 games, and demolished by PG's all year.

lost in the midst of the 81pt game is that Kobe had to make a 20pt comeback - because Smush did not even bother guarding Mike James.

Last edited by Charles on Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:

I don't expect much improvement from Smush.

What were you thinking as he was improving last year?
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
Plays good once every 4 games, and demolished by PG's all year.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/smush_parker/

Look at his numbers before you work that foot any farther in your mouth. Every fourth game must've been a doozy for him to put up those solid numbers only showing up 25% of the time.
bornaLAfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:

In the beginning smush will start and by the end of the year farmar will get the nod. nice to have good competition between those two for the starting job each will step their game up because of it.

If smush were on another team everyone hear would be say "oh lets go after smush he's cheap, athletic, and so on & so on

we cool right now but if another better opportunity presents itself ok lets check it out, but not panic
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:

He'll get more experience, but he's not developing PG skills overnight.

He's more of a 2 and needs his offense created for him - unlike Banks, James, Cassell, BoJax, Blake, and Duhon. Those guys will actually bother to attack the basket and don't need to live off of Kobe.

Smush started 82 regular season games, the only consistent part of his game is that the guy is totally lost on defense. Not a smart defender, maybe a lazy defender, probably both.

All the PG's I would take over Smush - Banks, James, Cassell, BoJax, Blake, Duhon have 1 thing in common - they roasted Smush on D.
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject:

A lot of people have too many excuses for Smush were in fact he always choke when he shots does not go in the 1st and 2nd qtr. Too much body language that causes team chemistry to be disrupted. I remember in one of the regualr season when PJ made a time-out then Smush did a gesture to Ronnie T. to stand up and let him sit, I mean what a crap...too cocky but inconsistent. He made a loob and alley hoop to the team but defensively zero production. I think I would give him half of the season if he is worth it if not Farmar or other PG better be prepared and impress the coaching staff if they want to be a starter. Last season we do not have a choice for PG 'coz Mckie pull a gump. Let's hope we can get a decent PG to be able to be contender next season.

GO LAKERS!!!!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:

He's more of a 2 and needs his offense created for him - unlike Banks, James, Cassell, BoJax, Blake, and Duhon. Those guys will actually bother to attack the basket and don't need to live off of Kobe.

Smush started 82 regular season games, the only consistent part of his game is that the guy is totally lost on defense. Not a smart defender, maybe a lazy defender, probably both.

All the PG's I would take over Smush - Banks, James, Cassell, BoJax, Blake, Duhon have 1 thing in common - they roasted Smush on D.

Agreed.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Rollins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I remember when the spurs won their 2nd championship and Tony Parker was horrible in the finals.

Regrading this quote...Think about where the Spurs were and how they got there. They were in the Finals for God's sake having played and won a few series to get there, oh and they won the thing!!! The Lakers and Smush were in the first damn round and leading 3-2 and homes froze. No comparison in Parker and Smush in these two circumstances.
WestCCa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Charles wrote:

Agreed.

Agreed as well.
LaL08Kb12004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:

man we have some smush haters. what is so bad about smush. he finished his 1st yr in the lg. and to everyone who said he was a choke, he was tired! playing all 82 games and all those minuets will do that to you. Next year he will be better conditioned and wont struggle so much towards the end of the seaosn. and about his confidence, that will come. he will get a swagger just by playin with kobe
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Smush is a bench player - a solid one, but a bench player nonetheless.

Lakers' starting PG next year? Vujacic. Sasha Vujacic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: