Jackie Butler, not happy, cheap. Aye or Nay?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Mitch get in on Jackie Butler
Yessir!
60%
 60%  [ 20 ]
Hellno.
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 33

Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Jackie Butler, not happy, cheap. Aye or Nay?

Looks like Isiah is letting another one slip away. Anyone watch him this season with the Knicks? Should Mitch swoop him up?

Quote:

Jackie Butler Refusing To Play In Summer League
6th July, 2006 - 7:25 am
New York Post - Free agent Jackie Butler, out of contract, is refusing to play with the Knicks in the summer league, the New York Post is reporting.

Keith Glass, Butler's agent, will meet with Isiah Thomas this weekend and contends four teams are willing to offer Butler more than the Knicks' $1 million qualifying offer.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41337/20060706/jackie_butler_refusing_to_play_in_summer_league/
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject:

Very raw but plays some defense.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject:

21 years old, 6-10, 260 lbs. 2 years experience

Averaged 13+ minutes in 55 games with the Knicks. 5 pts, 3 reb, 0.6 blks. per game. Went for 18 and 9 against Detroit in April. Hoopshype describes him as having no perimeter game, but very strong, and a beast in the paint. He turned down New York's $1M qualifying offer.

Awfully young, though. If we trade Mihm and no one more established pans out, I'd consider giving him part or all of BAE.

Again, if we trade Mihm, match the Knicks' offer and ask him if he wants to play with Kobe and be taught by Kareem. Can you imagine having a strong, aggressive guy pushing Kwame and Bynum in practice? Could help everybody out.

MIM
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
21 years old, 6-10, 260 lbs. 2 years experience

Averaged 13+ minutes in 55 games with the Knicks. 5 pts, 3 reb, 0.6 blks. per game. Went for 18 and 9 against Detroit in April. Hoopshype describes him as having no perimeter game, but very strong, and a beast in the paint. He turned down New York's $1M qualifying offer.

Awfully young, though. If we trade Mihm and no one more established pans out, I'd consider giving him part or all of BAE.

Again, if we trade Mihm, match the Knicks' offer and ask him if he wants to play with Kobe and be taught by Kareem. Can you imagine having a strong, aggressive guy pushing Kwame and Bynum in practice? Could help everybody out.

MIM

Good Idea DO IT MITCH!!!!!!!!!!!
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Jackie was highly-touted back in high school. He's got some talent - and a very big body.

He played well for NY when all their centers were out.

If he could be had for cheap, he'd be a solid pick-up. Plus, if we HAD to trade Mihm, Butler would provide some insurance.

It's never bad to have too many bigmen on your squad.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:

At least he'll bring the physical defense that only Mihm & cook lacks.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:

Sounds like he could be helpful if we trade Mihm or not so long as we could get him for the LLE. Butler and Turiaf would be a brutal PF rotation.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject:

I'm torn. He seems to have a lot of potential. But he seems about NBA ready as Bynum... Plus if he's already unhappy as a youngster who put up 5 ppg, what will make him happy? I dunno.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Jello Jiggler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:

If you can pry one of NY's glut of veteran guards, I would not mind getting Butler as filler.

Unfortunately, all of them have a high price tag!!!
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
I'm torn. He seems to have a lot of potential. But he seems about NBA ready as Bynum... Plus if he's already unhappy as a youngster who put up 5 ppg, what will make him happy? I dunno.

He got 22 and 8 and 18 and 9 in the last ten games of the season and got double figures twice in that span. I think he's a little more ready than Bynum (not surprising, 2 seasons under his belt).

As for being happy? It is pretty rare for guys to be unhappy on winning teams. You rarely hear about guys demanding trades out of winning situations, but almost every player is going to gripe playing for a losing team AND not getting playing time. What could possibly be more frustrating than watching your team lose every night and not even being able to go out and there and do anything about it?

This would be a solid pick up if he comes for cheap. And I agree, it could only help both Bynum and Kwame if you've got a hungry player pushing both of them in practice.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

He got 22 and 8 and 18 and 9 in the last ten games of the season and got double figures twice in that span. I think he's a little more ready than Bynum (not surprising, 2 seasons under his belt).

As for being happy? It is pretty rare for guys to be unhappy on winning teams. You rarely hear about guys demanding trades out of winning situations, but almost every player is going to gripe playing for a losing team AND not getting playing time. What could possibly be more frustrating than watching your team lose every night and not even being able to go out and there and do anything about it?

This would be a solid pick up if he comes for cheap. And I agree, it could only help both Bynum and Kwame if you've got a hungry player pushing both of them in practice.

Would you do this trade with Jackie included?

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois
7.9 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.9 apg in 18.9 minutes

Chris Mihm
7-0 C from Texas
10.2 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.0 apg in 26.2 minutes

Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple
0.5 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 0.8 apg in 8.6 minutes
Incoming

Quentin Richardson
6-6 SG from DePaul
8.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 1.6 apg in 26.2 minutes
Change in team outlook: -10.4 ppg, -6.9 rpg, and -1.1 apg.

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Quentin Richardson
6-6 SG from DePaul
Incoming

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois

Chris Mihm
7-0 C from Texas

Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple

We get Q Rich who could be good off the bench and Jackie a nice young physical big.

Los Angeles Lakers
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

I'd trade for Jackie Butler...he has some upside and could definately be a good player down the road...don't like this pouting though
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:

I would inquire about Jackie Butler.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
I'd trade for Jackie Butler...he has some upside and could definately be a good player down the road...don't like this pouting though

Would you rather he be happy on a losing team?

Los Angeles Lakers
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:

Isiah's stupidity could make anybody unhappy. Who would really want to play for the guy?
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

The real question is, do the Knicks have a pick they could throw in? With Isaih at the reigns, we could get something nice in return. Of course, let's not forget we have Mitch at our reigns. It would be like a game of chess with 2 paraplegics.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
insidepresence wrote:

I'd rather two things...

1)For you not to quote me and ask a question that you can answer yourself
2)For professional basketball players to stop acting like whinning babies. Yes babies. They make millions of dollars, heck even the players minimum as a rookie is damn near a half a million dollars. Do I complain that I wan't to work for a different clinic because I don't get enough patients? Please, in the real world, you can't just b*tch and moan to get your way.

You do your job, and if you don't like it, you wait till your contract is finished and then you play somewhere else. You expect me to believe he has something to complain about making a million bucks a year to play a freakin' sport?

His contract is up now, no reason to continue to complain
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
RG73 wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois

Chris Mihm
7-0 C from Texas

Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple
Incoming

Quentin Richardson
6-6 SG from DePaul

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Quentin Richardson
6-6 SG from DePaul
Incoming

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois

Chris Mihm
7-0 C from Texas

Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple

We get Q Rich who could be good off the bench and Jackie a nice young physical big.

Q Rich makes too much to back up Kobe. He also doesn't have enough handles to play the ponit, even in the tri. Plus, he's a thick, albeit quick, SG, which means waterbugs can torch him and tire him out.

I agree with the possibility of Butler as C insurance. he should be abit mroe ready to play than Bynum; he was jsut a McDs AA in 2003, true... but he's averaged over 13 mintues a game last year. More seasoning than A-Bomb, so far, that's for sure.

PLUS, I'm not sure if they can package/ S&T Butler under the CBA. Clarification, please, anyone???

That being said, I'd do Mihm, McKie, and Cook for Butler and Crawford in a stone-cold minute. Yes, I'm beating the Crawford thing into the ground, but just imagine...

C -- Kwame, Bynum, Butler -- Allof them 6'10" and 260lbs. and up and under 26 years old.
PF -- Odom, Turiaf -- One multi-skill player, one energy guy.
SF -- Radman, Walton -- One shooter, one multi-skill guy.
SG -- Kobe, Sasha, Evans -- Kobe and Evans the old men at 27 and 26(?).
PG -- Crawford, Smush, Farmar -- Young and with different skills, with Crawford possibly the best athlete of the bunch.

I could TOTALLY live with thsi team this year. Anyone agree?

MIM
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

^I agree if we can sign another PF for the LLE
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:
insidepresence wrote:

I'd rather two things...

1)For you not to quote me and ask a question that you can answer yourself
2)For professional basketball players to stop acting like whinning babies. Yes babies. They make millions of dollars, heck even the players minimum as a rookie is damn near a half a million dollars. Do I complain that I wan't to work for a different clinic because I don't get enough patients? Please, in the real world, you can't just b*tch and moan to get your way.

You do your job, and if you don't like it, you wait till your contract is finished and then you play somewhere else. You expect me to believe he has something to complain about making a million bucks a year to play a freakin' sport?

His contract is up now, no reason to continue to complain

His contract is finished and he didn't say a word he just didn't except a new contract.

Los Angeles Lakers
gsrbruin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

Q Rich would be interesting at SF. I know he only had one good yr with phx but he was pretty nice with the clippers for a while. mihm + filler for Q and butler would be a great deal.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:
RG73 wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois

Chris Mihm
7-0 C from Texas

Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple
Incoming

Quentin Richardson
6-6 SG from DePaul

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Quentin Richardson
6-6 SG from DePaul
Incoming

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois

Chris Mihm
7-0 C from Texas

Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple

Q Rich makes too much to back up Kobe. He also doesn't have enough handles to play the ponit, even in the tri. Plus, he's a thick, albeit quick, SG, which means waterbugs can torch him and tire him out.

I agree with the possibility of Butler as C insurance. he should be abit mroe ready to play than Bynum; he was jsut a McDs AA in 2003, true... but he's averaged over 13 mintues a game last year. More seasoning than A-Bomb, so far, that's for sure.

PLUS, I'm not sure if they can package/ S&T Butler under the CBA. Clarification, please, anyone???

That being said, I'd do Mihm, McKie, and Cook for Butler and Crawford in a stone-cold minute. Yes, I'm beating the Crawford thing into the ground, but just imagine...

C -- Kwame, Bynum, Butler -- Allof them 6'10" and 260lbs. and up and under 26 years old.
PF -- Odom, Turiaf -- One multi-skill player, one energy guy.
SF -- Radman, Walton -- One shooter, one multi-skill guy.
SG -- Kobe, Sasha, Evans -- Kobe and Evans the old men at 27 and 26(?).
PG -- Crawford, Smush, Farmar -- Young and with different skills, with Crawford possibly the best athlete of the bunch.

I could TOTALLY live with thsi team this year. Anyone agree?

MIM

Im from NY you don't want Crawford here. At least not in the starting lineup. Bad shots even worst defense

Los Angeles Lakers
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:

Like who?

Los Angeles Lakers
Polish_Bastard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject:

NO. See Bynum, Andrew and Turiaf, Ronny.

Butler is one of these scrubs who look good cause they play on an NBDL team. My grandma's cat would look good on the Knicks last season if you tought him to say "Yes, Larry".
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
insidepresence wrote:

Like who?

Didn't you suggest LO Wright the other day...ya he'd work
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: