Which bubble players on the SPL have a shot to make the team?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Which bubble players on the SPL have a shot to make the team?

Obviously, the Lakers are going to use the SPL to evaluate Bynum and Farmar, but do you think any of the other players have a chance to crack the Lakers' roster next season?

IMO, there's no way that any of the other SPL bigs will crack the roster. The only guys that may have a shot are the guards/wings. I still think that Wafer and/or Green have the best shot, but I think that only one of them has a shot at making the team because it doesn't appear as though the Lakers will have room to keep both of them (might not have room for either). Pinnock and Perkins have an outside chance, but I think both of them are inferior to Wafer and Farmar, respectively, so I highly doubt they'll be able to vault past those guys to have a shot at making the roster (although I do think the Lakers will stick Pinnock in the NBDL or Europe and keep a close eye on him i.e. Douthit).

At any rate, I like both Green and Wafer, and I really hope that at least one of them is able to prove to the coaching staff that he's been able to improve in the areas he was weakest in last year (Green - shooting; Wafer - tri understanding, shot consistency). I think we have a greater need for Wafer since we don't have a true scoring 2 to back-up Kobe and bolster our bench. However, I still like Green's potential as the replacement for the other DG. If Green comes to camp with an improved J, then he can be a very good player at the 3 for us - an amalgamation of DG and Luke.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which bubble players on the SPL have a shot to make the team?

if Green develops a shot, any kind of decent outside shot then I think he emerges.
gsrbruin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

the dark horse has to be ced bozeman
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

gsrbruin wrote:

what the chances are for this guy to do something????
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:

gsrbruin wrote:

I forgot about him. He sounds like a similar type of player to Devin Green, but Devin has a leg up in terms of tri knowledge.
Kareem of the Crop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject:

i hope slaughter tears it up
Romans 1:16
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:

Alas, Bozeman is not on the team. I want to see if Pinnock can beat out Von Wafer and Devin Green. I hope he can be the Lakers 15th player next season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
mm708
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Slaughter WILL make the team. Bozeman is now on the Hawk squad.
scottie2hottie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:

i think pinnock will make the team...
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

As predicted, it looks like one of our young SPL wings might sneak in and steal a roster spot. Green is going to me in the mix because he simply knows how to play the game on both ends. If he displays a consistent jumper, then I think he has the best chance to crack the roster. Pinnock has been solid in both SPL games, and he might vault ahead of Wafer if Von duplicates his game 1 performance throughout the rest of the SPL. However, Wafer did have a nice game today, so I think he's back in the running. It'll be interesting to see how these 3 guys hold up over the next 7 games. I think Green and Pinnock are going to continue to hold serve. However, I hope that Wafer increases his level of play as the SPL goes on (like he did last year).
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
As predicted, it looks like one of our young SPL wings might sneak in and steal a roster spot. Green is going to me in the mix because he simply knows how to play the game on both ends. If he displays a consistent jumper, then I think he has the best chance to crack the roster. Pinnock has been solid in both SPL games, and he might vault ahead of Wafer if Von duplicates his game 1 performance throughout the rest of the SPL. However, Wafer did have a nice game today, so I think he's back in the running. It'll be interesting to see how these 3 guys hold up over the next 7 games. I think Green and Pinnock are going to continue to hold serve. However, I hope that Wafer increases his level of play as the SPL goes on (like he did last year).

Yah, it;s looking like the race is on!
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Smush/Sasha/Farmar/McKie
Kobe/Evans/Pinnock
Lamar/Walton
Rad Vlad/Turiaf/Cook
Kwame/Mihm/Bynum

Theres the 15.
Do we have some sort of option on Mckie? Can we cut him? Id rather make space for Devin Green or someone else. Id really rather have Profit!!!! If hes healthy.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject:

scottie2hottie wrote:
Quote:
i think pinnock will make the team...

I think he's got a better chance than most think he has.

Pinnock's offense is will get it done. It is just a matter of he can play NBA defense. The more I hear about him the more I hear that his strength may actually be his defense.

If this is true I think he may surprise a lot and actually have the edge on either Green or Wafer.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

LALdynasty! wrote:
Smush/Sasha/Farmar/McKie
Kobe/Evans/Pinnock
Lamar/Walton
Rad Vlad/Turiaf/Cook
Kwame/Mihm/Bynum

Theres the 15.
Do we have some sort of option on Mckie? Can we cut him? Id rather make space for Devin Green or someone else. Id really rather have Profit!!!! If hes healthy.

Only problem is lakers are gonna be signing shammond williams. With shammond the roster is stacked at 15. Thats not including Pinnock. Mckie will likely get waived since he has nothing left. That leaves one roster spot left. Basically Green, Wafer and Pinnock will be competing for the one and only remaining spot. I like Green, Pinnock and Profit. Its gonna be a tough call on who to add.
scottie2hottie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject:

with the pick up of shammond williams, cook is no longer needed. i have a feeling pinnock will take cook's spot and mihm is move to third string pf/c. i have a feeling cook and mckie will be traded for draft picks.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

Pinnock's defense should help him make the roster.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:

I think Pinnock, Green and Profit are going to be battling for the final roster spot. If Profit is healthy, then he'll get the nod. If he's not or the Lakers are able to open up another roster spot or 2, then I think Green and/or Pinnock will make the team.
JP_Lakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:

Smush, Shammond, Sasha
Kobe, Evans, Pinnock
Radman, Walton, Slaughter
Odom, Turiaf, Cook
Kwame, Mihm, Bynum

Pinnock and Slaughter on the developmental squad. Mckie, traded or cut.

Edit... forgot about Farmar. OK, I say Cookie and McKie get sent out. I like what I've seen in Slaughter thus far in the SPL. They don't need Cook or Mckie.
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

The last spot is between Green and Pinnock. I think it's safe to say Wafer has already played himself out of contention for the spot.

I think Pinnock will earn it in the end because he seems to be as comfortable in the offense as Green but is a far better shooter.
Now_I_Know
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:

BygDaddy wrote:
The last spot is between Green and Pinnock. I think it's safe to say Wafer has already played himself out of contention for the spot.

I think Pinnock will earn it in the end because he seems to be as comfortable in the offense as Green but is a far better shooter.

Wafer played himself out of contention? How so? As far as I'm concerned, Green isn't doing THAT much better, and there's still many more games to go...Plus, Wafer's 1 year experience in the tri could possibly give him the edge over Pinnock...

Devin Green-
Game 1: 3-7 FG, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 7 points
Game 2: 6-12 FG, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 steals, 12 points
Game 3: 0-5 FG, 1 rebound, 0 assists, 2 steals, 1 point
Game 4: 6-10 FG (1-1 3FG), 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 16 points
Averages: 9 PPG (15-34 FG), 4 RPG, 2 APG, 1 SPG

Von Wafer-
Game 1: 1-6 FG, 0 rebounds, 1 assists, 0 steals, 2 points
Game 2: 7-15 FG (2-3 3FG), 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals, 18 points
Game 3: 1-5 FG, 1 rebound, 0 assists, 0 steals, 6 points
Game 4: 4-10 FG (1-2 3FG), 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 steals, 11 points
Averages: 9.3 PPG (13-36 FG), 1.3 RPG, 0.5 APG, 1.3 SPG
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Now_I_Know wrote:
BygDaddy wrote:

Wafer played himself out of contention? How so? As far as I'm concerned, Green isn't doing THAT much better, and there's still many more games to go...Plus, Wafer's 1 year experience in the tri could possibly give him the edge over Pinnock...

Devin Green-
Game 1: 3-7 FG, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 7 points
Game 2: 6-12 FG, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 steals, 12 points
Game 3: 0-5 FG, 1 rebound, 0 assists, 2 steals, 1 point
Game 4: 6-10 FG (1-1 3FG), 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 16 points
Averages: 9 PPG (15-34 FG), 4 RPG, 2 APG, 1 SPG

Von Wafer-
Game 1: 1-6 FG, 0 rebounds, 1 assists, 0 steals, 2 points
Game 2: 7-15 FG (2-3 3FG), 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals, 18 points
Game 3: 1-5 FG, 1 rebound, 0 assists, 0 steals, 6 points
Game 4: 4-10 FG (1-2 3FG), 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 steals, 11 points
Averages: 9.3 PPG (13-36 FG), 1.3 RPG, 0.5 APG, 1.3 SPG

I agree that Wafer hasn't played himself out of contention, but I do believe that he's clearly #3 behind Pinnock and Green. The stats you pulled up show that Wafer and Green appear to be fairly equal so far. However, upon close inspection, you can see that Green is shooting a better percentage, grabbing more rebounds, and dishing out more assists (even though Wafer has been used as a tri initiator). Also, by all accounts, Green has a much better grasp of the tri, higher b-ball IQ, and has been a more consistent defender. Finally, the stats show that Wafer has had 3 subpar games while Green only has had 1 (by most accounts, Green played very well in game 1).

Things can change over the remainder of the SPL, but I think it's clear that Green has had the better showing. Wafer might wow everyone throughout the rest of the SPL and outplay Green and Pinnock in training camp/preseason, but right now, he's on the outside looking in.
Now_I_Know
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

Wafer is NOW playing himself out of contention...
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

Now_I_Know wrote:
Wafer is NOW playing himself out of contention...

You're probably right, but he'll probably still get a camp invite.
Now_I_Know
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

^^True.
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Wafer looked terrible last Tuesday. Not only did he shoot terribly but he wasn't even paying attention to an inbound pass that would have been a turnover if another person on the team hadn't rushed back to get the ball. His body language was atrocious and always seemed lost on the court. That's why I said he played himself out of the spot. Green hadn't been great either but he didn't seem completely lost on the court. I think Pinnock is looking very good especially considering he doesn't have the extra year under his belt that Green and Wafer had.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: