Marcus Banks staying with the TWolves?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Marcus Banks staying with the TWolves?

Did his agent price him out of the market?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4827846,00.html

Michael Higgins, agent for Minnesota Timberwolves free-agent guard Marcus Banks, said Nuggets director of player personnel Mark Warkentien has called about his client but mainly just to touch base. Higgins said it's most likely Banks, primarily a point guard, will return to the Timberwolves.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject:

Good. Let them keep him. I am sick and tired of hearing all of the Marcus Banks scenarios.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Marcus Banks staying with the TWolves?

targetman wrote:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4827846,00.html

Michael Higgins, agent for Minnesota Timberwolves free-agent guard Marcus Banks, said Nuggets director of player personnel Mark Warkentien has called about his client but mainly just to touch base. Higgins said it's most likely Banks, primarily a point guard, will return to the Timberwolves.

@ Team Spreewell.

Los Angeles Lakers
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject:

We can offer him just as much as the wolves can right? Doesn't he want to play for a winner?
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
Good. Let them keep him. I am sick and tired of hearing all of the Marcus Banks scenarios.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Timberwolves' pursuit of Mike James is in high gear, and the free-agent point guard said Thursday that the Wolves are one of three teams he's still considering.

Quote:
"Minnesota is definitely one of my top (choices)," James said. "They have one of the best players in the NBA in Kevin Garnett. I've been a fan of Kevin since I've been in the game. It would be an honor for me to play with somebody like that, because I think he thinks like me as far as how I approach the game, and he would bring out the best in me."

Quote:
James has decisions to make. The Wolves, Mavericks and Rockets all are interested in landing him. James said he wasn't leaning toward signing with any of the teams, but that was before he was set to get together and talk contract figures with the Wolves later in the evening.

STORY

If James signs with the Pups... will the Pups still sign or go after Banks?

Last edited by TACH on Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
We can offer him just as much as the wolves can right? Doesn't he want to play for a winner?

Banks wants the MLE, IIRC. We used ours on Radman. Do the Wolves still have theirs? I guess he just wants to help KG sell tickets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject:

Can we now admit that Banks was overrated by lakers fans?

Los Angeles Lakers
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject:

"James has decisions to make. The Wolves, Mavericks and Rockets all are interested in landing him. James said he wasn't leaning toward signing with any of the teams, but that was before he was set to get together and talk contract figures with the Wolves later in the evening."

Houston is rumored to be signing Mike James, right? They already have Luther Head and Rafer Alston (Bogans, Brunson and Wesley are all free agents). And the Mavs have Terry and Devin Harris, and just drafted Maurice Ager. I think he is just trying to get the most of out of the T-Wolves now.
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject:

gill2k wrote:
uberzev wrote:

Banks wants the MLE, IIRC. We used ours on Radman. Do the Wolves still have theirs? I guess he just wants to help KG sell tickets

I don't know if I heard anyone here say they thought Banks was worth the full MLE.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject:

He making Houston suffer for trading him.

Los Angeles Lakers
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:

Wolves do still have their MLE. I am just not sure if they would want or need to use their MLE on James. It doesn't sound like the Wolves are bidding against anyone for James. Wolves can pay Banks up to $2.4M without using their MLE. What team is willing to pay more? Sounds like Banks' agent screwed up.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject:

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
He making Houston suffer for trading him.

Houston's interest in James is a little odd. Houston trades him for Alston mid-season. Now Houston wants him back and it sounds like James prefers going back to Houston. Weird.

Once James signs with one of those 3 teams it will make it clearer who might have interest in Banks. It seems Wolves will have to settle for Banks.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject:

Mongo wrote:
gill2k wrote:
uberzev wrote:

I don't know if I heard anyone here say they thought Banks was worth the full MLE.

People here knew that he was going to ask for it and weren't above handing it over to him. I'm glad we got Radman. But maybe we can somehow still get Banks.

^^ Farmar

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject:

eniq 0x00 wrote:
Mongo wrote:
gill2k wrote:
uberzev wrote:

People here knew that he was going to ask for it and weren't above handing it over to him. I'm glad we got Radman. But maybe we can somehow still get Banks.

My best guess is that he'll hold out a little longer, and hope. He likely thought that between the Lakers and TPups bidding for his business, he'd end up with most of the MLE for four or five years. Then came Radman, leaving Banks dazed and confused.

Time for a high school analogy:

It's kind of like flirting with a good looking girl, and banking on her going with you to the dance. Next thing you know, her ex-bf comes back from college, leaving you with no choice but to go back to your backup. Only your backup now realizes where she stands, and isn't as interested anymore.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:

Assuming that the Tpups do not wish to use their MLE on Banks:

The Tpups can offer him something in the $2.4 million range, with Bird rights increases for five years. The Lakers can only offer the LLE, which is maxed at about $1.75 for two years.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject:

Banks was hoping to use the Lakers to drive up his price, but Lakers early signing of Radman messed that up. Banks is in a tough spot though I keep remembering last year with Watson. It didn't look like Watson was going to get full MLE but at the last second Nuggets gave him full MLE for 5 years.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:

Marko Jaric.

Troy Hudson.

Randy Foye.

Marcus Banks.

Mike James. (pursued)

Man, them's a lotta point guards.... Blazers Part II??
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:

Divac12_NoviBeograd wrote:
orwell wrote:

LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:

No, we can offer 3.5 for 2 years. The Wolves can offer 4.8 for those same 2 years. I'd think he would take us over them, but with 3 PGs already on the roster, the Lakers may not want to add another. Either that, or the Wolves are offering more years.

If I were Banks, I'd take our 2 yr. deal, let Phil make him a better player (along with Kobe's presence on the court), and THEN go get his payday. He'll probably be a fool, though, and just take the little bit more money now.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
uberzev wrote:

No, we can offer 3.5 for 2 years. The Wolves can offer 4.8 for those same 2 years. I'd think he would take us over them, but with 3 PGs already on the roster, the Lakers may not want to add another. Either that, or the Wolves are offering more years.

If I were Banks, I'd take our 2 yr. deal, let Phil make him a better player (along with Kobe's presence on the court), and THEN go get his payday. He'll probably be a fool, though, and just take the little bit more money now.

That would definitely be the smart thing for Banks. Play for Phil for the next two years. Start for the Lakers and help them get past the first round. Plus train,practice and start with the best player in the game today. Then go for your pay day.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
uberzev wrote:

The TPups still haven't used their MLE. They can offer 5 years if so desired, and more than double the per year amount that you are specifying.

The real question is now whether the TPups wish to commit, in that there are still other possible MLE candidates on the market. And then there's the question about KG's future...
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
uberzev wrote:

Yup, he'd pretty much be taking the Earl Watson route...and that worked out great for him.

Just fire Higgins, he can use it to make up for part of the financial loss.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

I could still see us persuing Banks in a sign and trade. Maybe, something like Mihm to Minisota for a re-signed Banks (5 years/ 20 million). Banks gives us an added dimension, that we are not sure we have at this point (defense at the point guard position.) After the aquisition of Banks, we have our defensive point guard, our shootin point guard (Parker), and Farmar, who we are hoping could give us a lot of both in a couple years.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Marcus Banks staying with the TWolves?

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
targetman wrote:

@ Team Spreewell.

Ain't this some (bleep)??!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: