Sky from CL: SJax, Fred Jones and/or Anthony Johnson ripe for the picking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Sky from CL: SJax, Fred Jones and/or Anthony Johnson ripe for the picking

http://clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1210044&highlight=&sid=65c60b09acbe48057f60eeac4ce95a42#1210044

Lakers may be able to get in on a Harrington-to-Indiana 3-way by offering last years (probably Mihm and/or Cook) and getting at least one of those 3 in return. I'm down with any point guard who can defend with the best and light up Kidd for 40. Sjax/Jones would just be gravy.

Last edited by gng930 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

Anthony Johnson and any of combination of Sjax/Jones would be perfect at this point
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
Anthony Johnson and any of combination of Sjax/Jones would be perfect at this point

Co-signed. I would love to see one of our hometown legends play for the purple and gold. Port Arthur, TX would be rocking if that happened. Especially since the 1st player to make it to the NBA (BJ Tyler - Depaul --> U of Texas) didn't pan out because he decided weed >> NBA.

Do it Mitch!!
Laker Riderzs 213
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

See my sig.

I'm ALL about Anthony Johnson!!!
Been sayin' it for a while now.

Last edited by B_P on Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

Anthony Johnson would be perfect for us.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

I don't see the Lakers taking on any deals longer than 2 yrs. (especially with LBJ holding out). Vlad is one thing because his deal is easy to trade, but it would take a special player to make them extend beyond that.

As for Harrington, unfortunately that court ruling screws the Hawks and makes a S&T virtually impossible (if you can't take on contracts that last more than a year, it's hard to make deals). IF Harrington waits throughout the summer, maybe the Hawks MIGHT resolve ownership issues by the end of summer such that they could do a S&T. That said, it's very unlikely because the loser in court rulings can typically find many avenues to appeal - and those things can drag on endlessly. Can you truly see Harrington agreeing to wait all summer long for "maybe"?

Last edited by LakerJam on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

Here's Hollinger's comment about Harrington in a S&T:

John Hollinger: (1:02 PM ET ) Be interesting to see how the ruling on the Hawks' ownership affects Indy's pursuit of Harrington -- they may either need to go in another direction or be very, very patient.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
I don't see the Lakers taking on any deals longer than 2 yrs. (especially with LBJ holding out). Vlad is one thing because his deal is easy to trade, but it would take a special player to make them extend beyond that.

As for Harrington, unfortunately that court ruling screws the Hawks and makes a S&T virtually impossible (if you can't take on contracts that last more than a year, it's hard to make deals. IF Harrington waits throughout the summer, maybe the Hawks MIGHT resolve ownership issues by the end of summer such that they could do a S&T. That said, it's very unlikely because the loser in court rulings can typically find many avenues to appeal - and those things can drag on endlessly. Can you truly see Harrington agreeing to wait all summer long for "maybe"?

What do you mean LJ?

If we did a three-way with Indiana and Atlanta...we could send all one year contracts (Mihm, Mckie, Cook, Pick) to Atlanta, with Atlanta sending Harrington to Indiana, and Indiana sending those guys to us. So Atlanta does a trade and gets back lasts year, which is all it can take back, so whats wrong with the scenario?
F.N.G.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

From Larry Coon:

"A sign-and-trade is treated like a single, atomic transaction, not two separate transactions between which one party can change its mind. The sign-and-trade clause makes the contract invalid if a trade to the specified team does not take place within 48 hours."

Based on this it would not be like Atlanta was taking on additional multi-year contracts. If the S&T were not completed the contract becomes invalid.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

When Sky posted here, he was the best judge of talent. However, he would post stuff about possible trades implying he had inside information when he had as much inside information as my 9 month old. Maybe his contacts have improved, but I wouldn't run with anything that Sky says is about to happen.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
When Sky posted here, he was the best judge of talent. However, he would post stuff about possible trades implying he had inside information when he had as much inside information as my 9 month old. Maybe his contacts have improved, but I wouldn't run with anything that Sky says is about to happen.

I am pretty sure it has been verified that he has contacts...
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

I would love to see Anthony Johnson on this team!
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

Yow ... Sky is about as knowledgeable as it gets. And, he does have contacts. And he rarely predicts trades. He says what he thinks makes sense, and what he is hearing about what other people think will happen. He has some strong opinions that not everyone, including myself, always agree with. And he will strongly defend those positions. But, if Sky thinks that its possible for the Lakers to get involved in this three-way with Indy and ATL, then its possible. He doesnt say anywhere that it will happen.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Nothing against Sky, but that trade is literally impossible right now, with LBJ in limbo.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:

Was the first to call the Francis to NY deal.
Called Fish to Utah about a week before it showed up on RealGM. He's actually been hinting at Brown for Fish since well before the draft.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
Nothing against Sky, but that trade is literally impossible right now, with LBJ in limbo.

AJ's contract expires in '08. Jones can be convinced to take a 2-year deal. If not, I'm happy with just AJ.
Lakerholic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:

And people wonder why he doesn't post here anymore...
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
The Dagger wrote:

AJ's contract expires in '08. Jones can be convinced to take a 2-year deal. If not, I'm happy with just AJ.

In that case, they would only take AJ, not SJ and FJ. If SJ and FJ agree to a S & T they will want multiple years for sure. But, heck I'm in it for AJ. But I'm not sure if the numbers will work, since AJ is only getting paid peanuts.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

As for Harrington, unfortunately that court ruling screws the Hawks and makes a S&T virtually impossible (if you can't take on contracts that last more than a year, it's hard to make deals. IF Harrington waits throughout the summer, maybe the Hawks MIGHT resolve ownership issues by the end of summer such that they could do a S&T. That said, it's very unlikely because the loser in court rulings can typically find many avenues to appeal - and those things can drag on endlessly. Can you truly see Harrington agreeing to wait all summer long for "maybe"?

What do you mean LJ?

If we did a three-way with Indiana and Atlanta...we could send all one year contracts (Mihm, Mckie, Cook, Pick) to Atlanta, with Atlanta sending Harrington to Indiana, and Indiana sending those guys to us. So Atlanta does a trade and gets back lasts year, which is all it can take back, so whats wrong with the scenario?

Why would Atlanta trade Harrington for a bunch of last year contracts? That doesn’t really benefit them. That’s a favorable trade for US, but Atlanta isn’t interested in helping us, they’re interested in helping themselves. They’d probably prefer making a smaller trade for Mihm only, but do you really see them wanting to dump young talent so they can make roster space for McKie and Cook for a year? Plus, that deal’s not even good enough for Harrington regardless.

It’s just not realistic and it looks like we’re fooling ourselves to think it is - at least for as long as this ownership issue persists. It could happen, absolutely, but I wouldn’t be counting on it with any degree of certainty or likelihood. It's a LONG shot to say the least.

Last edited by LakerJam on Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

Sky used to write the Lakers column on Hoopsworld.com and he's definitely got sources.

I *rarely* agree with him (he's a lot like Mike [AT] LG with the constant focus on lockdown D and shotblockers to the exclusion of everything else), but Sky absolutely has insider knowledge and deserves as much credibility here as we give to anyone.

A lot of the juvenile posters here ran him off (as they seem to have done with other credible contributors), which is a shame.

I'm actually in favor of making LG a paid members site to keep the 13 year olds and flamers (NTTATWWT) out, but no one has asked my opinion.
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:

He has contacts. He's an ex-basketball writer with lots of ties. He gives details on deals that could happen. Like any insider, most deals he talks about don't pan out, but he usually makes sure to say he doesn't believe they will and reiterates they are merely being discussed.

The trade I would try for is this:

Indy trades a resigned Fred Jones at around 4.2 million a year for 3 years, team option third and a resigned Pollard at one year 3 million.
Indy gets a resigned Harrington at 8.5 million.

Lakers trade Mihm and McKie
Lakers receive Pollard and Jones

Atlanta trades Harrington
Atlanta receives Mihm and McKie
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

I'm actually in favor of making LG a paid members site to keep the 13 year olds and flamers (NTTATWWT) out, but no one has asked my opinion.

That won't stop them from getting someone else to pay for the membership.

^^ Farmar

NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
insidepresence wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

What do you mean LJ?

Why would Atlanta trade Harrington for a bunch of last year contracts? That doesn’t really benefit them. That’s a favorable trade for US, but Atlanta isn’t interested in helping us, they’re interested in helping themselves. They’d probably prefer making a smaller trade for Mihm only, but do you really see them wanting to dump young talent so they can make roster space for McKie and Cook for a year? Plus, that deal’s not even good enough for Harrington regardless.

It’s just not realistic and it looks like we’re fooling ourselves to think it is - at least for as long as this ownership issue persists. It could happen, absolutely, but I wouldn’t be counting on it with any degree of certainty.

You forgot a key to the proposal.

PICK

We have our #1 and #2 plus the Bobcat's #2 in what is predicted to be the deepest draft in years.

The Hawks are going to suck nexy year anyways.

Why not suck with some Lakers players plus a pick(s).

The Pacers could add pick(s) to the deal as well.

Very realistic.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Dennis_D wrote:

Was the first to call the Francis to NY deal.
Called Fish to Utah about a week before it showed up on RealGM. He's actually been hinting at Brown for Fish since well before the draft.

I guess his contacts have improved. Are maybe I am remembering some of this posts and I missed others. My recollection is that he posted a series of trade scenarios for Sam Dalembert and I realized that Philly had no interest in trading Dalembert and that Sky was presenting trades he thought could be possible as trades that were being actively discussed. It was long ago and I can easily be misremembering.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: