Six Flags Magic Mountain closing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Six Flags Magic Mountain closing?

I used to work there unfortunately. its a shame, that place has really gone down the crap hole.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200606/139/
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

whhaaaat? i just went there about 2 months ago. it's still great. X is amazing.

very sad news.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:

winner by KO: Disneyland
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:

when is this going to happen?

I wanted to ride tatsu
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Not a done deal, but with all the bad things happening there and the value of the land the owners are thinking of selling it so it can be leveled for new homes.

Wonder if I can get a ride cheap?
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject:

How valuable will the land be after there's no more 6 flags in the area? There's nothing else to do in Valencia besides Magic Mountain.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
How valuable will the land be after there's no more 6 flags in the area? There's nothing else to do in Valencia besides Magic Mountain.

that's exactly what I was thinking...
there's...uh...CAL arts??

boo...
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

Six Flags is over 2 billion in debt

The land could fetch 300 million from developers

"What we couldn't have realized, candidly, was that this brand is much more damaged than we previously thought," Shapiro said during a conference call. "What we couldn't realize is just how many families have literally given up on Six Flags."

Unruly behavior by the teens, who gravitate to the giant dips and turns of Magic Mountain's 17 roller coasters, have driven families away from the theme park, Shapiro said.

"Once you burn Mom, she is not rushing back," Shapiro said.

Of course when they tried to crack down on the gang thugs they got sued and had to settle for millions out of court.

MORE

MORE
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

I was surprised to read that article a week or so ago in the LA Times.

I remember as a kid just loving Magic Mountain. Granted, it has been many years since I have been there and I have heard about the "rowdiness" and "out of control teens" that have made the news periodically over the years.

How is the enviornment in the park these days? Is it really as bad as the media makes it out to be? I doubt it.

I recently went to Disneyland with my young son. It was fun, but run down and overcrowded in it's own right. And once the kids get older (teenagers) there is no comparison which one has better rides....the MOUNTAIN baby!

Can't fight change, but that will really be a sad day for me in my mind when that place closes down. Viva Magic Mountain!
LakersGirl4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

I used to love going there as a teenager, but there is such a huge gang problem up there and there is no security control over the place.

Atleast that was what it iwas like when I was there a couple of years ago. Kids just cut into line and no one is there to control it.

Oh well, had good memories!
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

i had good memories there as well... I hope they dont close it
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:

Damn what's up with that? Houston closed "Astroworld" (aka 6 Flags). This is strange...
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

Somebody will buy it. Establishing a "brand" like the name Magic Mountain, that 36 million Californians know is more important than profit to a biz that has a positive cash flow.
kwest80
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

Do they really have positive cash flow? I haven't seen any figures for Magic Mtn specifically, but the Six Flags itself has negative cash flow as of the latest set of financial statements.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:

You ever lived here? Because it sounds like you haven't been here in a long time. Either that or young, single, and don't realize it's far better then the Valley.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
Somebody will buy it. Establishing a "brand" like the name Magic Mountain, that 36 million Californians know is more important than profit to a biz that has a positive cash flow.

Selling it for homes would make a LARGE amount of money though. The number of homes going up around here is astronomical. This is where every comes to flee the absurdity of the Valley....though to be fair with all the people coming in...it's getting somewhat crowded.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:

Selling it for homes would make a LARGE amount of money though. The number of homes going up around here is astronomical. This is where every comes to flee the absurdity of the Valley....though to be fair with all the people coming in...it's getting somewhat crowded.

I think home sales were estimated at 300 million in the article. That is a lot of money but many large corporations will spend several times that amount over their lifetime trying to get a brand established. Where 6 Flags went wrong is that they...

1) Didnt get additional revenue from their park (outside of gate sales/parking/concessions). Example, Disney doesn't bleed money from their parks because they have off setting sales from Kids/Family Merchandise, and Multimedia (Movies, Radio, Advertising, etc). Magic Mountain (back in the late 80's) was nearing that point of brand penitration, where they could sell items with the "Magic Mountain" name on it outside their parks. Remember, National Lampoons Vacation? Everyone in the US knew the park was actually Magic Mountain. Nowadays, nobody cares. The brand "Magic Mountain" was diluted the second "6 Flags" was added infront of it. It was no longer more special than "6 Flags The Theme Park in Your State".

2) "Magic Mountain" used to mean the world's most innovative thrill rides. Collosus (back in the day) couldn't be touched anywhere west of the Miss Still back in the day, the park had only 3 or 4 scare the crap out of your rides, and the rest of it was mostly family attractions (shows, water rides, etc). After 6 Flags bought Magic Mountain it stopped targeting its family audience with it's attractions. Instead it was only "bigger, taller, faster, or "ride in a different orientation". Where as at Disneyland the whole park is an attraction. You go there to see the whole park. The rides are niether bigger, taller or faster. Disney understands it's audience and innovates for it (families/kids). Magic Mountain had a family audience, but innovated towards teenagers. Families stopped going when the park had only a handful or attractions for the little ones, and became filled with teens/young adults.

Still the name "Magic Mountain" has power. The park isn't terrible. They should mix their rides to favor families again, and begin to rebuild the whole event so that it is family oriented. A great example, I went to the O/C fair yesterday night. It's clean, modern, and had something for everyone. It was perfectly put together. If I had kids, I'd take them there, but instead it was just me and my GF. btw... there was so much eye-candy for the mens it was phenominal, hard to keep from getting caught sneaking a peek. =b

Off my soapbox, back to work, peace.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Well, what do they expect when the price of a season pass is only $10 more than the price of a one-day admission?

The idiot gang-bangers don't spend any money in the park. The kids that mom and dad dump off there, because its cheaper than a babysitter, don't spend any money in the park.

If they were to buy a clue and clean that place up, take out the trash, make it more family oriented... they'd make a profit.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Well, what do they expect when the price of a season pass is only $10 more than the price of a one-day admission?

The idiot gang-bangers don't spend any money in the park. The kids that mom and dad dump off there, because its cheaper than a babysitter, don't spend any money in the park.

If they were to buy a clue and clean that place up, take out the trash, make it more family oriented... they'd make a profit.

Wow...only 10 bucks more of a year pass...thats downright stupid...
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject:

when is the last day it will be open???
kwest80
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
when is the last day it will be open???

lakersfreak wrote:
Not a done deal, but with all the bad things happening there and the value of the land the owners are thinking of selling it so it can be leveled for new homes.

I think Six Flags is looking for someone to buy it. Right now, I think the options are if:

A) some other theme park company comes and buys it and keeps it operating (in the same or modified state), or

B) some real estate developer buys it, tears it down, and puts up homes.

So I think we should all keep our ears peeled to see what happens. Hopefully some other theme park operators such as Cedar Fair (Knott's) or Busch Gardens buys it and keeps it going. Seems like a slim chance now though...
Big Money
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I just got a season pass
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Big Money wrote:

LOL
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Big Money wrote:
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:

i hope not.i havent been there for a while but i have sooo many memories there it'd be a shame.plus its nice to know theres a way cheaper alternative to disneyland to go with friends once in a while
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: