Official LAL/MEM SPL game thread (Sat 3:00 pm)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:

DB, once catching the ball..how long did it take Pinnock to decide how to take his attempts? I know he doesn't know the offense, but did the catch and attack appear relatively seamless...or did the game stall while he went to work?
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:

pinnock was the best player on the floor today (from either team). he played excellent man D, (only saw him beat once by his man) and was under control on the offensive end. has nice court vision and can get to the rim and finish in traffic. i was very impressed.

bynum: i was very dissappointed by what i saw. he was doubled team here and there, but he was having trouble sealing his man, and still freezes when he has the ball under rim, instead of jumping quick and, either laying it, or dunking it. didn't work for any rebounds. in fact, he doesn't seem to react and move when the ball is in the air - out quicking his man for position - instead he just leans on the man whose boxing him out and tries to reach for the rebound. he had a nice finish on a semi-break from a pass from farmar; but other than that, the best highlight i saw from him today was how fast he changed ends - from offense to defense - on one possession. it was the fastest i've ever seen a human that big move - ever.
Cardom
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Just came back from the game. Got some photos I'll post later.

Bynum - Struggled altogether. Stareted off uninspired. Never got agressive. Looked like the weak link on the team. A lot of his frustration had to do with the bad officiating. He should do a lot better tomorrow.

Pinnock - This guy performs as well defensively as he does offensively. He took the game over in the second half and brought the lakers back from a double digid deficit. Extremely impressive passer, great shooter, excellent D, his man never put up a lot of points. This guy is looking like the MVP so far. He should make the team if he continues playing like this

Farmar - Started slow but make great plays in the fourth. Two great Bynum alley oops that make the place explode. He kept his composure and nearly let the Lakers to victory.

Douthit - Played great until the final minutes. Looked impressive on O and D. Make HUGE mistakes in the last minute. Two turnovers that cost us the game. Cracked under pressure, most likely has no hope in the NBA. Great shot blocker, swatted a lot of shots, made it tough for his man to score.

The team struggled in three areas:

- uninspired start and a lack of urgency that seemed to annoy Kurt Rambis quite a bit.
- giving up too many offensive rebounds. nobody had a good rebounding night, Memphis seemingly won every loose ball.
- No consistent D. Lakers allowed Memphis to score 50+ in the first half. They played a better second half, but bad starts often lead to demise.

and VIC, FEEEEEELINGGGG YOU! Vic the Brick Jacobs was hanging out. Mitch Kupchak was there too, he looks bored and even rested his head on the table once looking like he fell asleep. Brian Shaw and Gari Vitti were there.

Last edited by Cardom on Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:03 pm; edited 6 times in total
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers can use as many two way players as they can get. The initial reports on Pinnock seem positive. His team at GW regarded him as very unselfish. Yet he was their leading scorer. He averaged 3.1apg and 2.4spg in his final season at GW.
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

A video compilation of clips from the game is coming very soon
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
the best highlight i saw from him today was how fast he changed ends - from offense to defense - on one possession. it was the fastest i've ever seen a human that big move - ever.

That was remarkable. It looked to literally be three times faster than he normally changes going the other way. I was searching for the "Tivo" remote, asking myself, "Did that just happen?"
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Farmar is definitely a keeper. On offense, you could say he started slowly, if by that you mean he didn't get the ball much. What I saw was a Von Wafer who decided Jordan was the guy who will keep him off the team, and did not once pass him the ball. Pissed me off. When Wafer got taken out of the game on account of sucking, Jordan took off and showed what he could do. I really liked the way he communicated with everyone, and by that I mean everyone. He was constantly talking to his teammates, the refs, and especially coach Rambis. I wondered if Kurt was getting annoyed at not being able to talk to anyone else.

On offense his poor outside shooting was exposed. 5-6 inside the arc, 0-3 outside. Gonna have to work on that. Also, his defensive tactics have to change. But you could see in his eyes he was keeping tabs on everyone. You can just tell by looking when a person's mental attention is not entirely on what their eyes are focusing on. He was monitoring his entire peripheral range every time I saw him on defense. Turned out I was sitting next to his grandmother, and I was happy I didn't have to lie by how impressed I was.

Good pickup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
DB, once catching the ball..how long did it take Pinnock to decide how to take his attempts? I know he doesn't know the offense, but did the catch and attack appear relatively seamless...or did the game stall while he went to work?

No stall. Started to overdribble a smidge when he knew he was hot, but was direct in creating a shot opportunity.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Big Money
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:

I just have to throw my two cents in here.

Bynum was dissapointing at first, he was quite clumsy. I think he might have what Kwame has, as in he gets nervous and down on himself. Then he made his first shot and it was all gravy from there. He caught a lob from Farmar for a dunk (he missed a dunk in the 1st quarter on a lob from Wafer though). He got a couple of "and ones". In the second half he was using his body much better, and yes he was being doubled so maybe he was struggling because he has never had that kind of attention before.

Farmar was a good floor general. He couldnt hit his long range jumpers but he has a good mid range j and could get to the basket and finish or draw the foul (think along the lines of Tony Parker but not as fast). He played good defense. He got a steal and had a breakaway lay up but this is where I thought he was better than Smush though. Unlike Smush, Farmar does not go for the steal and keeps his man in front of him.

Pinnock WILL make the team. He was athletic, good defender, good scorer, and good Triangle PG. Was the reason the Lakers came back to take the lead.

Wafer sucked but atleast he passed a lot more

Devin was good in the first half but I dont remember him in the 2nd.

I saw Jerry West but the highlight of the afternoon was definitely THE COW!!!
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:

KOBE 2.0 wrote:
Damn looks like Bynum is sucking

Pinnock - solid player. couple of steals. gets up high on his jumper. I'm very impressed so far.

I know, I know...Mitch said something...but hear me out...this guy is a sleeper...yes...a sleeper...time will tell...are you familiar with Pinnock at all?

I'm happy that we at least have SPL.

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject:

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
Pinnock will make the roster watch.

Might you share this with 2.0?

I'm trying to tell the guy (2.0) that Pinnock is a sleeper.

Just watch...

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
Coop_21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject:

here's repost of my observations from a post in the "SPL Forum"
Quote:
I also attended the game and pretty much share the same views of the previous posts.

Bynum continues to hesitate when he gets the ball down low.
Its like he has to gather himself before going up with the ball which lets the defenders react. I wish he would just catch and go up strong quickly. And even when he goes up for dunks theres no sign of that 33 inch vert and he seems to finish with one hand after taking it up with two and barely getting over the rin (think of that dunk against the Heat last season).
I dont know...if other teams are offering something for him then maybe the Lakers should listen...unless he really is impressing them behind the scenes.
(BUT look at the brightside....he could be Keith Closs...and those who watched the earlier SPL game today can tell you that Closs is still 7-3 of nothingness & freckles)

As for Farmer...he cant shoot! I like his on the ball defense and contesting shots. He cuts to the basket and goes to rim strong. And the leadership and poise are all there. Just cant hit from outside even in warmups.

And like the others...Pinnock really impressed me. He already is better then Wafer and should be on the squad. He can shoot, drive and play some defense.

Also Douhit (I think thats how you spell it) looked good. Blocked some shots and looked comfortable in the triangle.

As for the team... I think they both have an advantage and disadvantage in the triangle offense. Its good that they have a system to run which gives some focus and organization. Its bad in that it appears to cause the players to over think and takes away some chances to show individual talents.

Also I think worth mentioning:
*That kid from Duke on the Laker squad looks like a tall Layne Staley
*The MVP of day IMO was a Latina SPL girl with wavy hair.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Who saw the dancing cow at the game?

That was the best part! He was c-walking and pulling off Michael Jackson moves.
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject:

KOBE 2.0 wrote:
Whats up with people having a attention on Devin Green? he will eventually get cut if anything Pinnock might make training-camp.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Just curious...maybe a friend of yours was at the game.

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:

agreed!

the game itself kinda sucked
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:

i've got the whole clip of the dancing cow in my video mix, which is about 2/3 uploaded to youtube. it's awesome!
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

PutTheBabyToBed wrote:
MyKRo wrote:

i've got the whole clip of the dancing cow in my video mix, which is about 2/3 uploaded to youtube. it's awesome!

make sure you post the link so we can see it
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject:

So far, it appears the draft went well. Famar and Pinnock have gotten off to a good start. Evans has already proven to be worth more than a #51 pick.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject:

farmar doesnt look like a basketball player

the dude is tiny
THE GOODS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

PutTheBabyToBed wrote:
MyKRo wrote:

what's your video labeled as?...that cow was freaking hilarious man..giving the fans daps and high fives...he had everyone rollin' man...
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

got a box score off of CL
http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=splboxscore7806rs6cg.jpg
cooguh
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
So Bynum had 12-13 pts in about 20 minutes of action? Thats a bad game?

good point. we need to give the kid SOME props.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
Kuroro wrote:
KwameKobeOdom3 wrote:
How much pts does farmar have?

He ended up with 17 I believe.

17 points 1 assist

17pts. 3 assists. 2 steals. 1 block.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject:

cooguh wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
So Bynum had 12-13 pts in about 20 minutes of action? Thats a bad game?

good point. we need to give the kid SOME props.

Plus, no one's talking about how when he'd go out of the game, it was a layup line. When he was in the game, Memphis was awfully tentative going to the hole. He was a presence out there. The team ran much smoother with Bynum and Farmar out there.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Cardom wrote:
Just came back from the game. Got some photos I'll post later.

Bynum - Struggled altogether. Stareted off uninspired. Never got agressive. Looked like the weak link on the team. A lot of his frustration had to do with the bad officiating. He should do a lot better tomorrow.

Didn't get aggressive? What game were you watching? He absolutely DID get aggressive. He even threw Andre the Greek down to the ground at one point, got pissed when he was whistled for the foul on it and then ran up the court and immediately drew an offensive foul. He was also often the first guy down the court on offense and defense, and was constantly bodying up his man demanding the ball. He wasn't aggressive in the first half, but he was also in constant foul trouble and didn't play much. He was definitely aggressive in the 2nd half of the game, though, which is why he got to the line a reasonable number of times given how few minutes he played. He also had at least 4 good blocks, but bad calls took away at least 2 of them. How is that not aggressive in 20 minutes of play?

Also, I don't see how a player can be the weak link on a team, when his defensive presence is why we got back in the game. Didn't you even notice the layup drill when he was on the bench and Memphis was up by a dozen, and how much harder it was for Memphis to score at the basket when he was in the game more often in the 2nd half?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: