Zidane's head butt
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beastmaster
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Zidane's head butt

what did you guys think of his head butt? i wonder what that italian player said to zidane to make him react so violently. his last game ever and he goes out by head butting a guy in the chest. i can't believe it
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

don't matter what the italian dude said...probably something about frogs!

Zidane = disgraced!
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Poor Zizou

RIP Jayden Odom
bupby2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Right when Zidane ejected I knew France was gonna lose!
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Yeah what a horribly stunted move. How do you do that in extra time in the world cup? Thats how his career is gonna end.
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Zidane's head butt

beastmaster wrote:
what did you guys think of his head butt? i wonder what that italian player said to zidane to make him react so violently. his last game ever and he goes out by head butting a guy in the chest. i can't believe it

whatever he said could have won his team tha World Cup.
Zidane definately cose France bigtime. Even though I wanted Italy to win, I hated seeing that. Terrible to see a player of Zidane's calibur have something like that tarnish his legacy.. but he brought it onto himself. It doesn't matter what anyone tells you, you don't headbutt someone in the chest when your the captain of your team in the final game of the world championships being watched by anyone who has access to a television set. Sad

Amen to that!
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Materazzi and Zidane have a history...Inter v. Real Madrid
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
Materazzi and Zidane have a history...Inter v. Real Madrid

I didn't know that.

Hmm....I wonder what's going to come out of this. Did Zidane really lose it and inexplicably headbutt Materazzi over trash talk or was there some other physical provocation, such as a jersey pull or contact with Zidane's injured shoulder.

I'm not condoning what Zidane did it at all but maybe there's more to it than trash talk, although highly unlikely.

From some early reports I've read, it seems that neither referee Elizondo or the linesmen saw the incident but only when the fourth referee saw it on the video screen did he notify referee Elizondo, who clearly could only react with the red card.

I guess that headbutt ends the chances of Zidane winning the Golden Ball trophy as the player of the tournament.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

bballfan4life wrote:
Poor Zizou

Poor Zizou?

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
rak_90046
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

http://myspace-619.vo.llnwd.net/00917/91/64/917294619_l.gif
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:

rak_90046 wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

OK, kind of a dumb question...

I'm not a soccer (excuse me, football) fan, so someone please help me out here - Does anyone else consider the headbutt to the chest a strange way to attack?

Seriously, I'm not a fan, so I'm wondering if this is just something that happens in the sport - like hockey players hold onto each other with one hand and punch with the other, or baseball pitchers throw brushback pitches. When fights break out in football, do people headbutt each other in the chest? I mean, a headbutt is one thing, but a headbutt to the chest?

It just strikes me as an unusual way to go after someone, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it...why not a punch or since it's football - a kick?
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
Poor Zizou

Poor Zizou?

That's his nickname...

RIP Jayden Odom
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

bballfan4life wrote:
NoMoreGame7s wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:
Poor Zizou

Poor Zizou?

That's his nickname...

Oh yes - I'm well aware of that. I'm trying to figure out why you feel sorry for him.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject:

^ I dunno I guess b/c he's had such an illustrouis career and had to end it with a blemish like this as a result of a meltdown in a game of that magnitude. He still won the player of the tournament award though so I was happy for him in that respect ...

RIP Jayden Odom
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:

I'm not a soccer (excuse me, football) fan, so someone please help me out here - Does anyone else consider the headbutt to the chest a strange way to attack?

Seriously, I'm not a fan, so I'm wondering if this is just something that happens in the sport - like hockey players hold onto each other with one hand and punch with the other, or baseball pitchers throw brushback pitches. When fights break out in football, do people headbutt each other in the chest? I mean, a headbutt is one thing, but a headbutt to the chest?

It just strikes me as an unusual way to go after someone, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it...why not a punch or since it's football - a kick?

Your observation is not wrong.

According to the words floating around, and something Zidane says he's going to say it all later, is that the Italian guy called him an "Arab terrorist". At this point, I tend to believe Zidane. Zidane has been around long enough and has seen it all that it would definitely has to take something stronger than a "yo mama is ugly" jab for this. And if you're an arab living in France, then you might just snap. Think of it as some white player calling a guy like Ron Artest like "n*****". Of course we can't hear what these guys said, but if that is what Zidane said he was called, and I applaud him for standing up when some one disgraces your ethnicity like that.

I don't think Zidane was intentionally wanting to kill that guy, because if he did, he would have buttted him on his face and probably resulting in a seriously broken nose. Zidane probably wanted to give him a nudge, but didn't expect the the Italian to flop pretty good when he dropped to the ground, either that or the Italian was a big puss for dropping like that. Should have never been a red card IMO.

Of course every european papers are acting like drama queens (as if Euros aren't drama queens enough to begin with) about this.

Last edited by skumbag on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
ImprovidusLiberum
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

First off, there's no way to condone this type of behavior. It's porr sportmanship at the highest level of competition...

...having said that...

That headbutt was freaking manly. And hilarious. The problem is that these soccer players flop more than Vlade did as a Sacramento King, so its hard to say how much force he put into it.

And, France lost that game, Italy didn't win it. Tough to lose the World Cup on penalty kicks.

Go Ghana!
ImprovidusLiberum
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:

skumbag wrote:
he Italian guy flopped pretty good when he dropped to the ground, either he flopped or he was a big puss for dropping like that.

exactly
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

the Italian dropped to the ground and laid still as if struck by a Mack truck, and did'nt move until the medics came out, and then miraculuosly, he re-gained consciousness.

I swear Kobe got clothelined stronger by Raja Bell and Kobe got up without a dam stretcher!
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

It's a damn shame that the game is marred with the type of diving, fake injuries, poor officiating and dirty play that we've seen these past 4 weeks. It shouldn't be this way.

Apparently the rumour of Materazzi calling Zidane something to the effect of an Arab terrorist has been denied by Materazzi himself. Although, he does not elaborate further. Another rumour has it that it was a verbal slur against Zidane's family. Reports suggest that the truth will come out in a week's time.
Bigguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:

skumbag wrote:
Socks wrote:

Your observation is not wrong.

According to the words floating around, and something Zidane says he's going to say it all later, is that the Italian guy called him an "Arab terrorist". At this point, I tend to believe Zidane. Zidane has been around long enough and has seen it all that it would definitely has to take something stronger than a "yo mama is ugly" jab for this. And if you're an arab living in France, then you might just snap. Think of it as some white player calling a guy like Ron Artest like "n*****". Of course we can't hear what these guys said, but if that is what Zidane said he was called, and I applaud him for standing up when some one disgraces your ethnicity like that.

I don't think Zidane was intentionally wanting to kill that guy, because if he did, he would have buttted him on his face and probably resulting in a seriously broken nose. Zidane probably wanted to give him a nudge, but didn't expect the the Italian to flop pretty good when he dropped to the ground, either that or the Italian was a big puss for dropping like that. Should have never been a red card IMO.

Of course every european papers are acting like drama queens (as if Euros aren't drama queens enough to begin with) about this.

You're close with the terrorist comment but this is a closer translation I think...

He called him “the son of a terrorist wh***” before adding “so just f*** off”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,28783-2263995,00.html
rracer99
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

One of my buds who follows this stuff can confirm the comment was more like

your son of a terrorist whore / your mother is a terrorist whore

1) I am damn sure the Itiallian said something off the charts - similar to the above
2) I am sure it was to solicit an act of rage
3) I am sure he embelished the hit to make it look like he was flat-lining in the ER
4) I am sure he was pleased that his master plan worked

At least if Zidane was going to fall prey to these cheap tactics, he went out owning that guy and making him his b!tch - hahhahaah head butted like a Ram during mating season...
Bigguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject:

rak_90046 wrote:

That one is alright, but this one is much better.

http://zidanewantscandy.ytmnd.com/
junebug
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/1,,2006310771,00.html

If it is true that Materazzi called Zidane's mom (who had taken very ill that morning ) a whore, I don't blame Zizou. I might do the same.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject:

1- during his wonderful career, zidane was ejected twelve times... twelve... don't you think that he has a very fragile nervous system?...
2- i repeat what i said in another thread: during a game, players always say each other horrible things... it's ugly, but it's perfectly normal... why don't you ask also what zidane said to materazzi?.. especially because every soccer player knows that materazzi goes nuts when someone -it happens often- insults his mother who died when he was a kid...
3- talking about flopping in this case is totally laughable... "should have never been a red card"?! is pathetic...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: