Phoenix To Get Salmons... (twice a yr since he's a Raptor)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhunkyPhil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Phoenix To Get Salmons... (twice a yr since he's a Raptor)

Now before you all go off on me. This has a lot to do with the Lakers. I just don't understand why we seem to be standing pat in building a roster that should have some athletic talent. We always seem to be a step behind in the athlete department. We never have that guy that could come in and give us energy and defense a long with "some" scoring. It always seems that we are missing the boat on players that could be had for almost nothing, while other teams upgrade. What do you guys think?
topramen78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject:

Phoenix had a $1.8 million trade exception to offer the Sixers for Salmons ... so .... how would you suppose we magically come up with a trade exception of our own to get him?
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:

Toronto is also in the mix - offering more money and a starting spot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

Here we go again with this old whine. How about Chucky? He's on the market. Are we gonna hear the same thing when some team picks him up?
PhunkyPhil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject:

Yeah I understand that. We do have pieces to trade though. Sadly besides Kobe, Devean was our best athlete. As it stands today we are probably going to lose him and get nothing close to his athleticism. I think the last person we had that fits the mold I'm talking about was Ruben Patterson.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
Here we go again with this old whine. How about Chucky? He's on the market. Are we gonna hear the same thing when some team picks him up?

My thoughts exactly

Los Angeles Lakers
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

We traded for Evans for basically nothing. Hes an athletic freak. We drafted Farmar who had some really good athletic result. What makes you think were not improving our athleticsm on our team?
PhunkyPhil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:

targetman wrote:

It's just an observation. If you think we can compete in the west with the roster we have now more power to you. Personally I think our series against Phoenix was a fluke we played way over our heads. Not to mention we had some nice non-calls go our way. With the current roster we will be Lucky to make the playoffs.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

If he gets enough PT, Salmons will blow up in PHX.

Much like Diaw in ATL, Salmons wasn't really able to show all his skills in Philly.

In D'Antoni's system, he'll FLOURISH. He's actually like a smaller Diaw. Solid D, good ball skills, good at getting to the basket, smart passer, knows the game. He's just not a great shooter, but I bet his shooting will improve in PHX.

Very smart pick-up by PHX.

And yes, we could have used him. He has "triangle" written all over him. But Mo Evans will help us too.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:

PhunkyPhil wrote:
targetman wrote:

It's just an observation. If you think we can compete in the west with the roster we have now more power to you. Personally I think our series against Phoenix was a fluke we played way over our heads. Not to mention we had some nice non-calls go our way. With the current roster we will be Lucky to make the playoffs.

:roll: I'm gonna keep quiet before I get in trouble.

Los Angeles Lakers
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:

PhunkyPhil wrote:
targetman wrote:

It's just an observation. If you think we can compete in the west with the roster we have now more power to you.

I don't, but I also don't believe that this is the roster we will see in the future. It takes time to get to the point of competing, and some good moves in that direction have been made the last two offseasons. To be honest, this team is no closer to a title with Salmons than they are without him.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
If he gets enough PT, Salmons will blow up in PHX.

Much like Diaw in ATL, Salmons wasn't really able to show all his skills in Philly.

In D'Antoni's system, he'll FLOURISH. He's actually like a smaller Diaw. Solid D, good ball skills, good at getting to the basket, smart passer, knows the game. He's just not a great shooter, but I bet his shooting will improve in PHX.

Very smart pick-up by PHX.

And yes, we could have used him. He has "triangle" written all over him. But Mo Evans will help us too.

any player who can shoot and run will blow up in phoenix.
topramen78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

PhunkyPhil wrote:
targetman wrote:

What does "making the playoffs" and "John Salmons" have anything to do with each other? Are you suggesting a team with John Salmons WOULD make the playoffs?
PhunkyPhil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
We traded for Evans for basically nothing. Hes an athletic freak. We drafted Farmar who had some really good athletic result. What makes you think were not improving our athleticsm on our team?

Come on anyone who watched a UCLA game knows that Farmar had one freak workout. I like him I just don't think he will be a factor this year or the next. Teams in the west are getting faster and more athletic by signing or trading for young Vets hungry to win. I know we have Evans which is great move I just think we are being out maneuvered and are always trying to play catch up. You guys obviously have all the answers and are more confident than I am I'm just trying to understand why. I just don't see it at this point. We are marginal at best.
topramen78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:

PhunkyPhil wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

Come on anyone who watched a UCLA game knows that Farmar had one freak workout. I like him I just don't think he will be a factor this year or the next. Teams in the west are getting faster and more athletic by signing or trading for young Vets hungry to win. I know we have Evans which is great move I just think we are being out maneuvered and are always trying to play catch up. You guys obviously have all the answers and are more confident than I am I'm just trying to understand why. I just don't see it at this point. We are marginal at best.

Do you know what the SPL is?
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:

Is it just me, or are the Phoenix Suns turning into the NBA's version of the Colorado Rockies?

Seriously -- middling (i.e. Raja Bell) or unimpressive (i.e. Tim Thomas) or young projects with huge upside (i.e. Amare) or flat-out unknown (i.e. Barbosa) go there and their offensive numbers go through the roof.

MIM
PhunkyPhil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:

topramen78 wrote:
PhunkyPhil wrote:
targetman wrote:

What does "making the playoffs" and "John Salmons" have anything to do with each other? Are you suggesting a team with John Salmons WOULD make the playoffs?

Ok let me make it clear. I never said signing John Salmons specificaly was the answer. I'm talking about a player in that mold. High energy, athletic with some all around skills. Kind of like a utilty player in baseball. The west is full of teams that have players that fit that mold. We aren't really one of them. We have nobody on our bench that we can depend on for that.
PhunkyPhil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

topramen78 wrote:
PhunkyPhil wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

Wow Farmar is playing against guys that will never be invited to camp. Great berometer.
topramen78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:

PhunkyPhil wrote:
topramen78 wrote:
PhunkyPhil wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

Wow Farmar is playing against guys that will never be invited to camp. Great berometer.

The heck is a berometer?

It measures beroes I'm guessing?

Have you seen any of the SPL games? Are you unable to determine a player's level of athleticism by watching them play? What difference does it make WHERE or with WHOM they play if you're measuring athleticism?
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:

topramen78 wrote:
PhunkyPhil wrote:
topramen78 wrote:
PhunkyPhil wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

The heck is a berometer?

Have you seen any of the SPL games? Are you unable to determine a player's level of athleticism by watching them play? What difference does it make WHERE or with WHOM they play if you're measuring athleticism?

Funny, because Sasha sucked last summer. I mean really sucked, to the point where Phil was considering busting him down into the D League during training camp.

Now Farmar is exceling and it's because it's D League talent? Far as I'm concerned, that's still an upgrade. He's playing better than both Smush and Sasha did last summer. And Smush played damn well.
PhunkyPhil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:

topramen78 wrote:
PhunkyPhil wrote:
topramen78 wrote:
PhunkyPhil wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

The heck is a berometer?

Sorry smart AZZ. HA-ha Barometer. Ha-ha. Of course he looks great he's going against guys that were great in high school and decent in college that aren't really great athletes. I'm sure you could take on a bunch second graders and look like MJ.
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:

PhunkyPhil wrote:
targetman wrote:

We won 45 games Last year now we are coming with an Improved Bynum, guards that will contribute more than Mckie (Famar, Williams), add an outside shooter in Vlad, an improved Smush and Sasha. We will win at least 50 games. No team in the west has improved enough to take wins away from this team. You probably did not have us making the playoffs last year.
topramen78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:

PhunkyPhil wrote:
topramen78 wrote:
PhunkyPhil wrote:
topramen78 wrote:
PhunkyPhil wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

The heck is a berometer?

Sorry smart AZZ. HA-ha Barometer. Ha-ha. Of course he looks great he's going against guys that were great in high school and decent in college that aren't really great athletes. I'm sure you could take on a bunch second graders and look like MJ.

Wow, really? He went up against Kyle Lowry who was drafted ahead of him. How would you explain that one?
F.N.G.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject:

PhunkyPhil wrote:
topramen78 wrote:
PhunkyPhil wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

First off it's bArometer and while you are entitled to your opinion, you must have something against Farmar or simply don't understand basketball. At UCLA, his "Athletic" skills were rarely shown. This was due to the offensive scheme that Ben Howland and UCLA employed.

In the SPL he has, in a very short period of time, been able to grasp the Triangle offense and show off his "Athleticism". It has taken some very "Athletic" players (LO) multiple years to figure this offense out. Now granted, the SPL is not the NBA, but is certainly not the NCAA either.

I for one would certainly rather have Farmar than Salmons. IMO.
KevDog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject:

PhunkyPhil wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

Well, Farmar had at least two 'freak workouts then because he tested off the charts at the big workout then again in his Laker workout.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: