Updates for tonights game
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject:

I think he is really improving in small steps. Hopefully they can put at least 10 more lbs of muscle on him before the season starts. Summer is just beginning for Drew so we should see a little more improvement when the season starts. Biggest problem now is needing more muscle.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject:

It's nice to see that the Lakers' SPL squad dropped the hammer on a pretty talented Washington squad.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Looks like we're the early favorites for the SPL championship.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Lake wrote:
sorry for the double posts...my Treo refreshes sometimes.

Anyway, game over. Lakers 114-85.

Bynum - 19pts. Hit another fadeaway J from the left base. sweet!! Got his last two off a pretty dime from Farmar in the last minute. Had nice footwork today and is keeping the ball nice and high. Don't sleep on this guy...he's the real deal...or he will be anyway.
J.R. - 13pts
Farmar - 13pts. Sweet left-handed teardrop off a right-handed frive thru the lane.
Green - 13pts. Had some nice athletic drives in the 4th. Played good D as usual too.
Douthit - 8pts
Von - another quick pull at beg of 4th after maybe 6mins of play. I heard him say "Already???" He had one nice take to the rack proving again that he needs to recognize when his shot aint hittin that he can take it to the hole whenever he wants to.

Alright y'all. I'll update again at tomorrow's game.

Thanks alot dude
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Blatche, we could of drafted him last year right? I think he is gonna be good someday. Glad to see Bynum stepping it back up.

yup instead of Von
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Bynum made a couple moves in the post today that showed that he has greatly improved over the past year under Kareem's watch.

1st quarter he caught the ball on the right block, but hit a turnaround J from 8-10 feet straight away after turning over his right shoulder and drifting left.

2nd quarter he ran down the center of the lane, pinned his man, received the pass then pivoted through a double team and dunked the ball with ease.

3rd quarter he caught the ball on the left block, faked a spin to the baseline, then spun towards the middle, gave a shot fake to get his man leaning forward, and then used a step through pivot to get passed his man for an easy layup. Great footwork.

4th quarter he again caught the ball on the left block, faked a spin to baseline, then spun middle but was able to feel his man overplaying the middle, so he again spun baseline over his right shoulder and hit a nice 8 to 10 foot baseline turnaround.

He's coming along nicely. The only major fault I saw tonight was that he was late on his defensive help rotations and didn't get up to challenge the penetrator's shot. But this may have been because the refs were calling the game very tight and he had been whistled for 4 first half fouls.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Bynum made a couple moves in the post today that showed that he has greatly improved over the past year under Kareem's watch.

1st quarter he caught the ball on the right block, but hit a turnaround J from 8-10 feet straight away after turning over his right shoulder and drifting left.

2nd quarter he ran down the center of the lane, pinned his man, received the pass then pivoted through a double team and dunked the ball with ease.

3rd quarter he caught the ball on the left block, faked a spin to the baseline, then spun towards the middle, gave a shot fake to get his man leaning forward, and then used a step through pivot to get passed his man for an easy layup. Great footwork.

4th quarter he again caught the ball on the left block, faked a spin to baseline, then spun middle but was able to feel his man overplaying the middle, so he again spun baseline over his right shoulder and hit a nice 8 to 10 foot baseline turnaround.

He's coming along nicely. The only major fault I saw tonight was that he was late on his defensive help rotations and didn't get up to challenge the penetrator's shot. But this may have been because the refs were calling the game very tight and he had been whistled for 4 first half fouls.

Thanks for the report. Both you and Lake confirmed that Bynum showed some progressive offensive moves tonight. That's something most of us were hoping he'd show immediate improvement in. As far as the help defense goes, he's only going to get better as he gets more game time. For the most part, I believe that he's been working with the Cap on a one-on-one basis, which explains why he's shown more progress on the offensive end.
LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Bynum is quite a lumbering athlete but he clearly showed tonight that he has worked hard on his low post moves.

Farmar did not impress me in the first game I've seen him play. He really needs to work on his outside shooting. Not sure from first look if he's more talented than say, Tyronne Lue.

Pinnock looks very athletic.

All the cockiness from Wafer's game during last summer's SPL is gone. He quite passive now.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:

LFsnz67 wrote:
Bynum is quite a lumbering athlete but he clearly showed tonight that he has worked hard on his low post moves.

Farmar did not impress me in the first game I've seen him play. He really needs to work on his outside shooting. Not sure from first look if he's more talented than say, Tyronne Lue.

Pinnock looks very athletic.

All the cockiness from Wafer's game during last summer's SPL is gone. He quite passive now.

I think Wafer is one of those Devean George, Smush type of player. The guy with all the tools athletically, but just doesn't have it up-stairs.
In the paint
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Solid game for Bynum and ok for Farmar. Farmar looked like he was bothered alot by the groin injury which was wrapped heavily. He had alot of difficulty defensively and ended up picking up alot of fouls but still hung in the game and contributed eventhough he only had is B game tonight.

I thought matching up against Peter (Jar Jar Binks look alike) Ramos would be a good challenge for Bynum, but he was able to handle him pretty well defensively and also easily score on him in the post when he was not double teamed. Bynum showed several nice moves in the post and seems to be developing decent foot work. However, when rotating to a penetrating guard he needs to get to his position much faster so he does not pick up so many fouls.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject:

lakers399 wrote:
How much lift did he get on those fades? Did he take(and make) them all over the 7'3(Peter Ramos) dude?

Not much. It's all wingspan and high release point.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject:

LFsnz67 wrote:

This was his worst game. The way he played in the fourth quarter tonight was a lot closer to how he played entire games in the previous match ups.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:

Bynum ended up with 6 fouls in this game. I did like the fact that when he makes his moves under the basket it is always with his elbows extended outward (vintage Kareem) --creating space between himself and the defender. Also when he rebounds he keeps the ball high over head. Bynum MUST work more on boxing out and actually going after EVERYTHING that goes up toward the rim. Sometimes I think he tends to be lazy on the boards and does not box out and go after the rebounds hard. I do think this could come with time and much work on developing more explosion going after boards.

I also think that as he adjust to the NBA game and adjust to his growing body that he will become a little nastier as well. The nastier the better. Bynum played up against Ramos who at 7'3" seemed like he towered over Bynum. Ramos MUST have the largest head in the NBA! It is HUGE!

The Lakers ran anything but the triangle for the most part tonight and Farmar didn't have his best game either. But overall I would say Bynum is a work in process and a mighty find work at that.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject:

I'm sure glad I decided to race down the freeway to see the Friday game. The previous game didn't sit right with me so I had to check this game out.

Game Summary:

WOW, what a difference a game makes. Bynum looked pretty much like what I was hoping to see during the Wednesday game. As you know by now the Lakers beat the Wiz 114-85. The refs were calling EVERYTHING tonight. You make a post move, you get a foul call. The Lakers fought their way through this and played increasingly better as the game wore on. The Lakers were REALLY firing on all cylinders in the 4th qtr seemingly getting better and better the bigger the lead got right up until the last minute. Rambis was more vocal tonight and he was getting on the refs case a lot. Rambis managed to get the refs to change posession to the Lakers one time. Another time he got a technical arguing a foul call (on Bynum I believe). He also yelled at Bynum at one point (it seemed to be regarding his post positioning). Nice to see Rambis more active this game.

Individual scoring by quarter:

Bynum: 2, 7, 6, 4 for 19
Douthit: 0, 0, 6, 2 for 8
Green: 2, 0, 2, 9 for 13
Farmar: 6, 0, 2, 5 for 13
Powell: 2, 0, 4, 2 for 8
Wafer: 0, 0, 2, 0 for 2
Perkins: 2, 11, 2. 4 for 19
Slaughter: 4, 0, 0, 5 for 9
Pinnock: 0, 9, 0, 4 for 13
Horvath: 3, 3, 0, 0 for 6
Fey: 0, 4, 0, 0 for 4

Individual recaps:

Bynum: Bynum was squared off most of the game with big 7'3" Peter Ramos. This was a good test for Bynum and he did well in holding Ramos to 4 pts and 5 rbs while collecting 19 and 8 himself. Even though Bynum had a slow start in the 1st qtr I could tell already he was into the game mentally and reacting quicker than the previous game. He was also getting post position, calling for the ball, keeping the ball high and working his post moves. I could tell he was really concentrating on doing well and he was concerned what they were thinking of him from the bench. He collected at least a couple good rebounds in the 1st qtr. He had two nice dunks in the 2nd qtr and made a good hard foul to prevent a bucket. In the 3rd qtr Bynum made a nice in close pass to Douthit for a layup. Bynum also made a great post move to get by Ramos for a layin and a nice rebound. In the 4th Bynum made another sweet post move for a bucket and had a nice rebound. Bynum also made a few nice assists in this game.

Douthit: Douthit played a good game as he was very active rebounding the ball on both the offensive and defensive end. He scored in close as well as making at least one baseline jumper.

Green: Green put up another solid game. The more I pay attention to Green the more I am impressed by him. He always seems to make a couple mistakes (a missed layup tonight) but he more than makes up for it with some solid defense and a few buckets. Tonight he made a super move for a reverse layup that really stood out in my mind. Green had a great 4th qtr.

Farmar: It seemed like Farmar was slowed by his thigh injury. During the pre-game he showed a teammate his thigh which was totally wrapped with bandages. I didn't notice him limping during the game but he seemed to defer to others until the 4th qtr when he really showed up and showed what people are getting excited about. In the 4th qtr he had a nice drive for an and1 that he made, a nice scoop shot ala Tony Parker and a really nice assist to Bynum for a dunk.

Powell: Powell had a nice game making a few nice buckets as well as grabbing a few boards. Nothing stood out for me though.

Wafer: Wafer continues his enigmatic ways. Again he is put in a position of running the offense and when he makes a mistake or misses a shot he gets yanked for someone else. He didn't play many minutes and only made one basket. Wafer doesn't seem as aggressive as the other guards as far as contesting things on defense and creating scoring opportunities for himself. He should be driving to the bucket more since his shot isn't falling. The main use of his athleticism seems to be anxiously dribbling the ball in an overly dramatic way like he really wants to go one on one but stops and passes out because he remembers to stay within the offense. That being said Wafer did make a few nice plays in this game. He made a great pass leading to a fast break layup. He made a really nice move for a layup for his only points. He played good D leading to his man losing the ball out of bounds. He made a nice assist for a made layup.

Perkins: This guy is really making me like him! As good as Bynum played I would give Perkins the game ball today. Loved his work ethic, effort and his consistant aggressiveness on both defense and offense. He made several steals, one leading to him dunking another for a layup. Nothing but hard work and hustle all the way around. He's only 6'2" but he played almost like a 6'5" guard. He was the best guard today by far over the entire game.

Slaughter: Slaughter had another nice game even though he missed a few too many shots. He had several nice rebounds and a couple nice steals on defense.

Pinnock: Pinnock had a good game with solid play again. Especially compared to Wafer, Pinnock is constantly in the game mentally and always under control but with a purpose. He did make a couple turnovers and one time a pass bounced off his head. I believe he scored mainly on layups and dunks with some nice moves offensively. Pinnock made several nice assists in this game.

Horvath: For the few minutes he was in the game Horvath played well scoring down low a few times.

Fey: Fey seemed to play well today with a few nice post moves for buckets, as well as a couple rebounds and assists.

Sanders: Sanders only played a couple minutes and the only thing of note was a couple nice assists.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
Ramos MUST have the largest head in the NBA! It is HUGE!

I agree. He was standing next to Fey once and I remarked to Mike that Ramos's head looked twice as big as Fey's. If he could grow a Ben Wallace fro, he might qualify as a planet or at the very least, a moon.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team - Glad you got to catch some decent ball. I still thought it was a bit sleepy compared to the other games...most likely that was due to Farmar's first three quarters.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Lakers#1Team - Glad you got to catch some decent ball. I still thought it was a bit sleepy compared to the other games...most likely that was due to Farmar's first three quarters.

Thanks! I think I'm hooked on SPL again. I'll probably catch the rest of the games to hopefully watch a good complete game from Farmar. To me the last qtr by Farmar had me excited and wanting more. His thigh must have loosened up that last qtr.
InTheRefrigerator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LFsnz67 wrote:

This was his worst game. The way he played in the fourth quarter tonight was a lot closer to how he played entire games in the previous match ups.

His thigh was taped up pretty well, not sure how much that contributed to his performance. He didn't seem to lose much speed and he got up to contest jumpers but maybe he was pacing himself so he didnt' aggravate the injury during the first 3 periods. Fouls also slowed the whole game down at times and Farmar himself was getting his share of them.
In the paint
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:

InTheRefrigerator wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
LFsnz67 wrote:

His thigh was taped up pretty well, not sure how much that contributed to his performance. He didn't seem to lose much speed and he got up to contest jumpers but maybe he was pacing himself so he didnt' aggravate the injury during the first 3 periods. Fouls also slowed the whole game down at times and Farmar himself was getting his share of them.

This was the 3rd SPL game I have seen Farmar play and he was much less active and I think clearly bothered by the injury.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
RhodyRay wrote:
Ramos MUST have the largest head in the NBA! It is HUGE!

I agree. He was standing next to Fey once and I remarked to Mike that Ramos's head looked twice as big as Fey's. If he could grow a Ben Wallace fro, he might qualify as a planet or at the very least, a moon.

Dancing,

Thanks for the laugh! Too funny. But my man does have a huge head. Ramos head makes Bynum's head look like a peanut!
LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:

In the paint wrote:
Solid game for Bynum and ok for Farmar. Farmar looked like he was bothered alot by the groin injury which was wrapped heavily. He had alot of difficulty defensively and ended up picking up alot of fouls but still hung in the game and contributed eventhough he only had is B game tonight.

I thought matching up against Peter (Jar Jar Binks look alike) Ramos .

Good one!

He could appear in the next Predator sequel sans makeup also...
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:

just wanted my name to headline the forum
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

ziiiiiiiiiing

Amen to that!
Enceanbasten37
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

[DELETED]
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: