LAKERS -vs- GRIZZLIES - 7/15 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- GRIZZLIES - 7/15 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

Stuck in Mud Island... The Lakers stayed with Memphis and led a few times for most of three quarters. Then the offense just came to complete halt as we scored just 2 points for the last several minutes of the third quarter and Memphis built up a big lead. The Lakers eventually fell 88-73. The 73 points were very indicative of the offensive stagnation that the team suffered through all game long.

Let's start again with Triangle basics. Memphis plays a smart defensive scheme. It's annoying because the Lakers stuggle with understanding how to counter it. This is something I've harped on at times and something that Rambis mentioned after a previous game.

Memphis crowds our perimeter players, cutting off the passing lanes. They front the post, cutting off the easy entry pass. They also sag with weakside help on the post to prevent lobs over the top. What they are doing is playing aggressive to take away the first pass options of the Triangle. This requires the Lakers to run their "counters", certain read and react sequences that allow them to take advantage of what the Grizzlies are taking away. (If you try to take something away in the Triangle, you are often giving something else up.)

For instance, to get the ball into Bynum it now requires some quick passes while Bynum seals his man. When teams would front Shaq or partially front him in the Tri, you would sometimes see us bring the ball up to the top of the key, then reverse it back to the corner while he seals his man who is fronting him. The corner entry pass is made quickly and it leads to an easy score. Or, last year, we saw the high-low sequence quite often. A defender would front the post so we couldn't make the entry pass. This cues a Laker from the weakside to flash to the freethrow area to receive a pass. The post man seals his man and a quick high-low pass takes place.

A lot of this requires the team to be on the same page and react with speed. Unfortunately, this being the SPL...we don't know how to react to this. Heck, we've even seen the regular season team struggle with this type of defensive scheme early on or even during games at times. The result for today's SPL game was that our offense was stuck in mud. It stalled and fell apart. The team had 26 turnovers and shot .390 from the floor to get their 73 points. Combine that with a non-stop whistle which led to 85 freethrow attempts and you have a recipe for a slow, ugly-to-watch game.

In the end, it's good for the guys who are going to make the team because they will understand the system better. For the guys who aren't going to make the team, they don't get to show off their skills or take much anything with them that will probably be useful as they work on their game. The standout players in this game tended to be the hustle guys like Green or Slaughter. The guards tended to work the ball around the perimeter or attack off pinch posts and the low post was essentially neglected for long stretches.

Bynum -- -- One of the first few possessions of this game, Bynum got the ball in the post and was promptly quadruple teamed. He tried to pass out, but it was deflected. It just showed how much attention the Grizzlies were going to pay to him today. They had a few triple teams, a lot of doubles and some weakside zones to take away lobs over the top of fronting defenders. As explained above, we had difficulty countering this the way we should have. Occasionally, Bynum wouldn't seal or be ready for a high-low sequence...but the chance of it coming anyway was slim. So, how did Bynum react? We saw him try to work from the high post a little more than usual. On those standard weakside pinch post plays were he usually hands the ball off to the cutting guard, he kept the possession on several occasions and faced up against his man. He had a couple good sequences doing this. He'd take a couple of dribbles, turning his back on his man as he got low position, then he'd got to a post move and score. This is not his strength, but he actually made it work a couple of times. He's a back to the basket player and he essentially just worked the dribble to get himself low post position. At the end of the game, there is a reason Bynum shot just 3-4 for 7 points. The offense couldn't get him the ball where he needs it to score. In the prior game, you saw a straight forward defense that allowed simple post entry passes for Bynum to go to work. The Triangle could work because it was functioning on its most basic level, and Bynum had success. It wasn't because Farmar was setting him up, which I've heard people at the SPL say. (Farmar set Bynum up once in the past game, almost all the other offense was Bynum creating for himself.) If you compare the past two games to each other, the failure is purely a result of the team not executing the more sophisticated counters that it takes to make the Triangle work.

He scored all 7 of his points in the first half, scoring twice off face up sequences that turned into post moves (one a jumphook). He also scored a layup off an interior feed. Bynum was ticked on one sequence and went up to throwdown with aggression over a man. He couldn't complete the dunk, but wanted the foul (he should have been to the line).

Defensively, Bynum did a slightly better job of contesting shots as a defensive anchor. He had a couple big swats early. The stat sheet completely missed a couple blocks that happened right in front of me. So, instead of 2 blocks...I've got 4 in my notes. Such is SPL stat keeping. Andreas Glyniadakis had 20 points. Half of those points came when Bynum either left Andreas to contest someone else's shot or a guard reached and fouled Andreas. So, again, another somewhat deceptive stat. Where Bynum does appear to be consistently exposed is his reluctance at times to move out to the perimeter to contest his man's shot. Andreas got a couple good looks in that situation. Bynum was whistled for 7 fouls in this one. Again, he got a little sloppy...and a couple of those fouls were also of the cheap variety (one where he contested a jumper that should have been a 24-second violation and another where he got pushed while setting a screen and was called for a moving screen). Both Bynum and Rambis were livid on those.

Farmar -- -- Not a good game from Farmar as he tallied a game-high 7 turnovers and shot just 4-12 (going 0-5 from three). He ended the day with 10 points, 5 boards and 2 assists. A point of emphasis this summer will be working on that perimeter shot. The turnovers were not from high-risk type of plays, just sloppy stuff (charge on a pass off, colliding with Green trying to push up the break, etc.). He did thread the needle a couple of times on passes, but those were on the mark. One was a very nice bounce pass to a teammate who was cutting on the baseline, but couldn't convert. Another was a great no-looker to Douthit under the hoop for a dunk. Farmar showed, again, he knows how to use his body well when he gets near the rim... he attacked on the break on one sequence, took contact and scored with his left for the And-1. Farmar probably had the score of the game, a high-flying reverse layup attacking along the baseline that he spun off the glass. He also did a nice job getting his man in the air and drawing a foul on the perimeter when the offense stalled and he was forced to create something with the shotclock low.

Defensively, a bit of the same as we have seen in previous games. Farmar does seem to go under the screen a ton, but this being SPL ball, he hasn't paid a price as guys don't seem to be killing from the perimeter. So, I'd probably be doing the same thing until you show me you can make that shot. There is one thing to his advantage when he goes under the screens and that is how he pops out from behind them, using his hops well to get up and contest the shot. He often seems to recover to guards and he will occasionally alter a shot. He'll need to be careful with players who still have their dribble left after popping out from behind a screen.

Green -- -- Just another solid, all-around game from Green. Again, he had to deal with Hakim Warrick at times, who only managed 8 points. Green shot 5-7 on the day, sinking one catch-and-shoot J from the perimeter. Green had a steal that led to a score for Farmar and he tipped an offensive board to Douthit who scored. Green scored several times at the rim, including dunks and layups that came off feeds by Pinnock. He got to the line and buried all 8 freethrows he attempted. He finished with a game-high 18 points, 7 boards, 2 assists and 1 block in 28 minutes. Both he and Pinnock seem to be consistently out-playing Wafer.

Pinnock -- -- He led all Lakers with 5 assists, which was not easy to do in this kind of game. He made some great finds to cutters like Green for scores. He made the extra pass on the break to get the Lakers a dunk. He hit a pull-up three from the wing. He made a nice stutter-step move in transition and hit a floater. Pinnock finished with 7 points on 3-10 shooting.

Slaughter -- -- He only clocked 16 minutes, but he was active, pulling down 6 boards and getting to the line for 4 FTs. He had one block in the game, but also had 2 other blocks erased by fouls from the teammates whose butt Slaughter was saving. One of his contested shots resulted in a 24-second violation. He was called for a flagrant for contesting another shot on the break. He did several defensive things well on one sequence where he switched out onto a smaller player, staying in front of him with good lateral speed, then grazing the shot as the guard settled for a jumper. He shot just 1-4 for the game, creating off the dribble to score off the glass.

Wafer -- -- He didn't offer a whole lot in his 14:23 of action, scoring 5 points on 2-4 shooting. He had 4 turnovers during that time and looked miffed getting sent to the bench after one stint.

Everyone Else -- -- Douthit put up 10 points on 3-6 shooting and grabbed 7 boards. He also had 4 turnovers, again looking a little sketchy from that wing spot trying to pass the ball. He had a nice tip in of a Farmar miss and another nice cut to free himself and Jordan hit him for a score... Doron Perkins drew four fouls on the Grizzlies to start the fourth quarter and helped get them into the bonus early. He should have just continued to attack and march to the FT line. He finished with 5 points and 4 boards in 11:53 of action.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -vs- GRIZZLIES - 7/15 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

Thanks for the report DB. When you said they were "stuck in the mud" I thought you meant fatigue until I read the rest of it. it makes sense that the team would not be effective countering the triangle 101 post defense.

I think Bynum is fatigued though because of the few rebounds he got. To this day Bynum has never in his entire life been in basketball shape. That's going to take playing time so we're going to have to be patient on that end.

I wonder if the Lakers coaches are teaching him rebounding fundamentals, like how to anticipate and move to where the expected carom would be? They should run drills for him this summer, he and Kwame should go at it with Farmar shooting. Farmar and Green practicing their 3 point bricks while Bynum and Kwame practice their anticipation, boxing out skills.
pokoy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -vs- GRIZZLIES - 7/15 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
...Where Bynum does appear to be consistently exposed is his reluctance at times to move out to the perimeter to contest his man's shot. Andreas got a couple good looks in that situation. Bynum was whistled for 7 fouls in this one...

You mean like Shaq's problems?

I'm guessing it's a conditioning issue?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Endure 12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject:

I think Wafer will get cut. The only guys I see making the Squad are Bynum, Famar and Pinnock.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:

Endure 12 wrote:
I think Wafer will get cut. The only guys I see making the Squad are Bynum, Famar and Pinnock.

I agree, Wafer just doesn't have it upstairs. but don't be surprised to see the Lakers buy out McKie to make room for Green. I don't see them cutting Green. They also might keep Pinnock's rights and ship him to Europe for a year or two because they have Shammond for one year.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:

I'm just amazed that DB was the only person that mentioned Bynum being defended so tightly. We saw what good defense does to a player of Shaq's calibur yet fans expect Andrew to bull through the defense like it doesn't exist?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

It's great to read that an 18 year old kid is getting that much defensive attention. The fact is, you didn't see much of that last summer.

Bynum is a LOT better it seems. The biggest things missing right now is NBA caliber conditioning (as they say "NBA ready") and consistency.

Young players are rarely consistent. I don't expect Bynum to be a consistent performer until 21. I also expect him to be NBA ready (physically) by that age.

It will be fun seeing what he's like at that age.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mm708
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

Slaughter is looking like the most consistent player on the Lakers. His defense never lets down. 8)
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

It's very difficult to dominate purely in the low post, with the way zone defenses are being allowed nowaday. What makes Duncan great is that he can score in both the high and low posts. Bynum will have to learn to score from the high post to become a dominant scorer.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

I was there, and it amazes me that Wafer looks to be a headcase. One dimensional player; he doesn't deserve even an invite to camp.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

DB - Another great report. Appreciate the detailed analysis of the tri.

When the season starts there is some thought that Bynum and/or Farmar will see time with the Lakers development team. Your analysis makes me wonder if that is the best place for Bynum in particular. You have described the SPL team unable to execute the counters in the tri. The result basically limiting Bynum's effectiveness in the game. The speed in Bynum's development in the tri would seem to be directly proportional to how well the other 4 players understand the tri. Wouldn't he learn faster playing as the backup to Kwame and getting 15 to 25 mins? Rather than spending 30 to 40 mins as the starter on the Lakers developmental team?

Outside of Bynum and Farmar it sounds like Pinnock, Green and Slaughter are on the bubble. I'd like to see all three as training camp invites.

I do hope the Lakers do some moves to make room on their 15 man roster.

Mckie - salary ballast in a trade or just outright release
Wafer - cut, just doesn't get it. being out played by Green and Pinnock
Cook - just tired of his one dimensional game. maybe have someone like Slaughter take Cooks roster spot. Just a thought
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
I'm just amazed that DB was the only person that mentioned Bynum being defended so tightly. We saw what good defense does to a player of Shaq's calibur yet fans expect Andrew to bull through the defense like it doesn't exist?

DB did an excellent job breaking down a very UGLY game. Poeple have to understand that the Grizz totally game planned to shut down the post entry pass into Bynum. He had multiple defenders converging at him the minute the Lakers tried to even get into their offense--thus the few shot attempts he actually had. This is good news because no current big on the Lakers demand double or triple coverage. This in the future will provide other scoring opportunties for other Lakers.

The concern I do have for Bynum is his lack of positioning for rebounding. He must learn to pick up the rest of his game if for example a team chooses to take him out of it offensively. I would like to see him go after rebounds with the intensity of what Marcus Slaughter shows. Slaughter is always in the air going after every shot that goes up. Right now Bynum relies to much on his size and length to get rebounds. He needs to learn how to box out, anticipate and position his body for good rebounding opportunities. If nothing else he should seal his man and use his length to at least allow another Laker player to get the ball if he can't. I am hoping with more coaching and training he can at the very least become a monster rebounder and shot blocker as this alone can get him more playing time earlier on in his career.

As to Green, Wafer and Pinnock--I think Wafer does not make the cut. Between Green and Pinnock--I think the Lakers go with Green because he has been consistent and does have one year triangle experience under his belt. If all things being equal (talent wise) this experience beats on Pinnock. I hope the Lakers somehow can keep both of them. In order for Green, Wafer, or Pinnock to make the team McKie's contract will have to be bought out. I hope the Lakers DO NOT keep him next year. Also if the Lakers do a small trade to move some players out--maybe they keep both Green and Pinnock--which I highly doubt that happens. My money is on Green staying. Dude is a very, very active solid player. Pinnock any other year probably makes the cut. Deciding factor will be in training camp though.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Endure 12 wrote:

Green is going to be in the mix as well. The coaching staff loves him, and he hasn't done anything to hurt their confidence in him in this year's SPL.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:

Just makes me appreciate all the more DB's recaps. I understand that the immediate after game recaps by posters are more to get something out there quick, usually thumbed from a phone, with most of it coming from memory instead of taking notes, for all of you waiting for game information. I know every time I look at DB's late night recap, after doing an after game recap myself, I'll recall things from the game that DB mentioned but forgot to mention in my recap. Every fan has a slightly different focus also. My main focus on Bynum was constructive criticism on the things Bynum can better control. In doing so I neglected to mention the collapsing defense that was all but impossible for Bynum to control.

To answer your question from my perspective at the game, I don't believe anyone expected Bynum to bull through double and triple teams (and that one quadruple team at the start). However, in the 1st qtr Bynum did show the ability to work from the high post near the free throw line. Twice he dribbled a couple times from there, did a very methodical spin and post move that I'm sure Kareem taught him. He was very effective with those moves. However, in the 2nd half there were at least 2 or 3 times where he did get the ball in the high post with room to work (nobody was hanging on him and there was no immediate double team) but he passed the ball back out rather than doing that same post move sequence. I'm sure frustration with the foul calls and the Griz banging on him contributed to Bynum being more passive. All I know is everyone around my seat was calling for Bynum to post up and he passed out instead.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:

When the season starts there is some thought that Bynum and/or Farmar will see time with the Lakers development team. Your analysis makes me wonder if that is the best place for Bynum in particular. You have described the SPL team unable to execute the counters in the tri. The result basically limiting Bynum's effectiveness in the game. The speed in Bynum's development in the tri would seem to be directly proportional to how well the other 4 players understand the tri. Wouldn't he learn faster playing as the backup to Kwame and getting 15 to 25 mins? Rather than spending 30 to 40 mins as the starter on the Lakers developmental team?

I think he stays with the team...but, I guess it ultimately depends on the make up of our team and how much Phil plays him. One thing the NBDL would be good for would be Bynum's conditioning. He'd be able to get a lot game time. If we had our NBDL team last year, he would have been there for some extended time. But shipping him off to some other city, with other coaches running other offenses wouldn't have helped much. I think the NBDL guys could certainly run the Tri well enough, given time, to deal with some of those defenses.

The regular Lakers squad would love someone to double the post. And they were also decent with the high-lows when the post gets fronted...so I'm sure they wouldn't mind seeing some of that either. Chances are most teams will try to play Bynum straight up and see what he has (and what he has will likely vary from night to night this next year).
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:

The concern I do have for Bynum is his lack of positioning for rebounding. He must learn to pick up the rest of his game if for example a team chooses to take him out of it offensively. I would like to see him go after rebounds with the intensity of what Marcus Slaughter shows. Slaughter is always in the air going after every shot that goes up. Right now Bynum relies to much on his size and length to get rebounds. He needs to learn how to box out, anticipate and position his body for good rebounding opportunities. If nothing else he should seal his man and use his length to at least allow another Laker player to get the ball if he can't. I am hoping with more coaching and training he can at the very least become a monster rebounder and shot blocker as this alone can get him more playing time earlier on in his career.

My concern is maybe right along those lines. It has to do with his motor. If he gets fatigued then he starts to fall back on what's easiest instead of what is the right. I think this manifests itself on the boards on both ends, finishing strong, running the floor in transition, contesting on the perimeter, etc. I'm hoping with the short stints of minutes he gets next year that he plays active when he's out there.

There are a lot of other areas that he will improve on given time: strength, FT shooting, fouls, consistent go-to moves in the post, playing with a chip on his shoulder all the time, and various other areas that will improve with experience. Those don't worry me so much. That's what we will measure next year, and we've already seen growth over last year.

If there is a fundamental flaw in his game, it might be that he's not as explosive from a standstill as you would like to see. On offense, added strength will allow him to power through players and overcome some of that (might also be why the Lakers want him to be an 80 percent FT shooter). Defensively, he'd be a complete beast if he had explosive, quick ups. His reaction time may improve and he will still have the ability to anchor a defense despite that, I would certainly think.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Endure 12 wrote:

Green is going to be in the mix as well. The coaching staff loves him, and he hasn't done anything to hurt their confidence in him in this year's SPL.

Bynum and Farmar have already made the squad...

You've got Green, Wafer, and Pinnock looking for a roster spot. All will get invites to training camp. Slaughter might get a training camp invite, too. The Lakers also have interest in Profit.

This seems most likely the outcome for Pinnock. From the L.A. Times:
Quote:
Pinnock said that if he doesn't get an NBA contract, he wants to play overseas where he will make enough money to support his family.

I'm thinking when it comes down to it, Pinnock ends up overseas for a year and we will bring him back next year. But, you never know. He could outplay the others during training camp against NBA talent...show some chemistry with the bigger names and be on the roster. Green did the same thing last year (although he had some injuries to Ronny and Profit that opened up unexpected roster space at the right time).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: