SPL Game 6 LAL 73 MEM 88

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: SPL Game 6 LAL 73 MEM 88

Quote:
The game was slow and torturous, as 69 total foul calls were made between both teams. A scrambling defense by the Grizz led to plenty off-timed and poorly executed triangle sequences. There was a good 3 minute stint by Danilo Pinnock in the 2nd quarter, but the Lakers couldn’t build or maintain any kind of offensive rhythm throughout the game. A couple steals by Pinnock that led to some transition points helped stem the lead a little, but the Grizzlies pulled a 23 to 14 scoring run in the 3rd quarter, and practically sealed the game.

The Players

Memphis Grizzlies

Alexander Johnson had a strong game with 15 points and 12 rebounds. He went 6 of 12 from the field, grabbed 6 offensive rebounds, and had 1 blocked shot. He was by far the most active player on the court...

http://lakers.mostvaluablenetwork.com/

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Mike, you mentioned difficulties boxing out and energy as reasons why Bynum rebounded so poorly yesterday. Are you seeing a lack of effort as well? Do you see any correlation between his offensive output and his effort on the glass?

I've only been to one of the SPL games (#2), and that was his best game in terms of rebounding and blocked shots, so I'm curious what you think.
notWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:

69 total fouls!? That's insane.

I thought the Friday night game was bad. I think the refs thought things were getting out of control. I could hear them giving verbal warnings over and over to players on both sides. But, they were still calling fouls with less than 1:30 to go and the game pretty much over. That just makes for bad basketball.

Was that the case for this game too, or were the refs just flexing muscle?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
Mike, you mentioned difficulties boxing out and energy as reasons why Bynum rebounded so poorly yesterday. Are you seeing a lack of effort as well? Do you see any correlation between his offensive output and his effort on the glass?

I've only been to one of the SPL games (#2), and that was his best game in terms of rebounding and blocked shots, so I'm curious what you think.

Mentioned in the article, PFs didn't provide adequate help alongside Bynum on the boards.

It's not a lack of effort, but he certainly wasn't pressing down the floor like the first couple of games.

I think he got frustrated with the fouls. There were times Bynym just stood on defense and still had fouls called on him.

Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

My take, Lakers vs Grizzlies

One of the most boring games I've ever seen. The refs called foul after foul stamping the life out of the play. "Walking" must have been called 10 times alone.

The starters:

Jordan Farmar- He came out limping, walking like he was hurt for the shoot around warmup. He slowly warmed up but didn't get to full speed till the game started. Then there was no sign of injury and slow wasn't any part of his game. He didn't look to score much but ran in the triangle beautifully and made some passes that were awing. He has a strange body alignment and his head rests on his shoulders cocked upright so I'd swear he could not look down. He's going to help the Lakers and I predict even this year.

Von Wafer played like he's been told top forget about shooting and work on other aspects of his game. When he was in the game he brought the ball up the court instead of Farmar. He did that well and though he had 4 turnovers I was impressed with him. I still doubt he'll make the cut.

Devin Green- Had a great game. He ran and ran and moved without the ball superbly. I think he's a lock to make the team and will get some good minutes this year. He and Farmar seemed on the same page the whole game. "18 points, 7 rebounds, 5-7 FG", to bad we didn't have a couple more of him.

Marcus Douthit- Had a decent game on offense but let Alexander Johnson go at it with will. Back to Europe and i doubt he'll ever make it in the Lakers lineup.

Andrew Bynum- Had an awful game and made Andreas Glyniad look like a young Arvydas Sabonis. Andrew is still a project and conditioning a real concern, but he'll make us glad we drafted him someday soon.

The only other player of note for the Lakers was Danilo Pinnock. He had a poor night shooting but played good defense and with energy on both ends of the court.

For the Grizzlies Kyle Lowry and Alexander Johnson added to Andreas' big game and they dominated the Lakers for the win.

Jerry West picked some great players in the 2006 draft. They three above all look to have long careers in the NBA.

The highlight for me was seeing Kareem Abdul Jabbar come from the tunnel onto the court walkway. The pyramid rose with clapping and cheers, many standing to welcome him. He acknowledged the reception with a wave and began signing cards and balls for the kids that had swarmed him. It was great to see tha Captain.

Kurt Rambis, Frank Hamblin and Brian Shaw were also there.

I enjoyed the game in spite of the refs. I had some great company to share it with.

I CAN"T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

notWorthy wrote:

I thought the Friday night game was bad. I think the refs thought things were getting out of control. I could hear them giving verbal warnings over and over to players on both sides. But, they were still calling fouls with less than 1:30 to go and the game pretty much over. That just makes for bad basketball.

Worse. I can appreciate soccer because it's continuous. This was like watching football. Stoppage of play every 30 seconds.

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
notWorthy wrote:

Worse. I can appreciate soccer because it's continuous. This was like watching football. Stoppage of play every 30 seconds.

It was a ridiculous. And whoever that chick was officiating was the main culprit.
Kuroro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
notWorthy wrote:

It was a ridiculous. And whoever that chick was officiating was the main culprit.

Actually Crawford was at the game watching the refs so they called EVERYTHING.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike,
In your previous article, "Lakers make a move, plus more", Chris Mihm is not included as "locks to be on the 15 man roster." If the team wants to keep Green or Pinnock, they need to clear a spot. How are they going to do that do you think?
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:

good stuff Mike...I enjoy these reads..
notWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Kuroro wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
notWorthy wrote:

Joey Crawford? That's funny. On Friday I was tempted to scream, "Swallow your whistles! You're not making it to the NBA! This ain't no try-out!" But, I guess it was. I figured it would only make them call more.

I did see someone giving them (all refs, all day) direction on how to call the games before 1st and 2nd halfs. Thinking about it now scares me for the future of the pace in NBA games.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
Mike,
In your previous article, "Lakers make a move, plus more", Chris Mihm is not included as "locks to be on the 15 man roster." If the team wants to keep Green or Pinnock, they need to clear a spot. How are they going to do that do you think?

Wasn't my article. Yannis covered that.

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject:

notWorthy wrote:
Kuroro wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
notWorthy wrote:

Joey Crawford? That's funny. On Friday I was tempted to scream, "Swallow your whistles! You're not making it to the NBA! This ain't no try-out!" But, I guess it was. I figured it would only make them call more.

I did see someone giving them (all refs, all day) direction on how to call the games before 1st and 2nd halfs. Thinking about it now scares me for the future of the pace in NBA games.

Funny thing is, i missed the laker game. messed around and got there to late. but was there to see a friend of a friends playing for dallas. after the lakeshow game.

I heard, bogus whistle after bogus whistle. and another ton of ticky tac calls. 85% of the calls were coming from the ref with the #60 on his shirt, i believe. I guess because J.crawford was in the building they felt they had to TAKE THE GAME OVER. terrible. one thing i did see, was one guy from the opposing team, rushing the whole somewhat Out of control. and getting to the freethrow line time and time again. for bad blocking calls. when it was clear, that the defender was set, and in front of the guy. if nothing else. dont call anything. reminded me of the NBA finals. and that isn't good.

on another note. I noticed that the new nba ball. looks like the Euro League ball. just without the two tone colors. its probably the same material. Stern is really trying to make this thing worldwide.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: