Indian Lab Develops Local Bird Flu Vaccine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Indian Lab Develops Local Bird Flu Vaccine

NEW DELHI (AFP) - India has developed a local version of an animal vaccine to combat the deadly strain of bird flu that spread to the country in February, the agriculture ministry has said.

The vaccine was developed by the High Security Animal Disease Laboratory, the only Indian facility able to test poultry for the disease, with an investment of 80 million rupees (1.8 million dollars).

"Viral disease such as avian influenza does not recognize boundaries and the development of indigenous vaccine would go a long way in tackling bird flu effectively," said Mangala Rai, head of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research which oversees the lab.

The arrival of the disease in western India earlier this year led to the culling of more than a million birds, the statement said.

There are fears that if unchecked the disease might spread to humans in the country of more than one billion people, where many live in close contact with poultry.

The virus, which can spread from infected birds to people in close proximity, provokes flu-like symptoms in humans.

It has claimed 132 lives worldwide since 2003, according to World Health Organisation figures released Tuesday, with Vietnam suffering the most with 42 deaths.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060716/hl_afp/healthfluindia_060716143719
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

Wow India is much more efficient than we are...I mean how much money do we pour into pointless things and they get a vaccine for the bird flu off of 1.8 million?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
Wow India is much more efficient than we are...I mean how much money do we pour into pointless things and they get a vaccine for the bird flu off of 1.8 million?

Some of our health care comes from India too. Some hospitals email x-rays and medical charts to India, and the doctors there come up with a diagnosis within hours and email it back. It's less than a third of the cost compared to here in the states.

A lot of people who don't have health insurance actually fly out to India for expensive surgeries. I just read an article about it in Time (or People?) magazine. Apparently their health care over there is just as good as here, but much much cheaper. It's a risk that some people are willing to take. If someone is uninsured and it's a life or death situation, I can understand why they'd fly around the world to get it done.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:

im proud to be indian.....

india is growing like anything i visited family back in feb after 16 years...
(born n raised in los angeles) It is awesome I reccomend everyone to go out there
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
im proud to be indian.....

india is growing like anything i visited family back in feb after 16 years...
(born n raised in los angeles) It is awesome I reccomend everyone to go out there

Yeah India is doing great, their IT industry particularly. Many of my employees are from India.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
insidepresence wrote:

Some of our health care comes from India too. Some hospitals email x-rays and medical charts to India, and the doctors there come up with a diagnosis within hours and email it back. It's less than a third of the cost compared to here in the states.

so what ya saying Ziggy? my Doc is being outsourced? thats crazy.
Tryangles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:

Haven't you heard? It's not about the cure, it's always about the comeback. To put it plainly, Big American Pharm companies can't make money off cures. Why do you think we still have no cure for AIDS, Cancer, Diabetes, etc. etc. etc. ?
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:

Interesting...........
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: