Trading Mihm Revisited

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Trading Mihm Revisited

This would be the ideal time to trade Mihm, McKie and Cook for Antoino McDyess and Carlos Delfino.

It's obvious that they want Delfino gone, but I think Detroit would be willing to part with McDyess, since Harrington would be the 1st PF/SF off the bench and they get a backup center in return.

We could use more depth at the PF and Delfino can play either SF or SG. Really just gives us better role players.

Any thoughts?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41565/20060718/dupree_signing_to_open_things_up_for_delfino_deal/

Quote:
Dupree Signing To Open Things Up For Delfino Deal?
18th July, 2006 - 8:40 am
Grand Rapids Press - The Ronald Dupree signing by the Pistons on Monday has fueled talk that the club could be in on a sign-and-trade deal for Al Harrington.

Dupree may give the Pistons another athletic player off the bench in case they deal Carlos Delfino.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject:

delete post

Last edited by RCS926 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

I doubt Harrington wants to sign with the Pistons to come off the bench. The only way he doesn't come off the bench is if Sheed plays center, but I don't know if that's good for the team.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject:

don't understand why you'd settle for this package. You're giving up one of your better trade chips (an expiring young big) to pickup an injury prone, backup PF. If you were picking up a PG with him, I'd think about it. McDyess isn't a shot blocker anymore, so I don't see the need to make a deal like this.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:

I'm not convinced that at this pont in their careers that McDyess is better than Mihm. Adding Delfino would bring in another attractive trading chip in the future.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:

Mihm is in his prime and puts up the same numbers as McDyess. McDyess would only play about 20-25 minutes a game, giving us about 8 ppg and 6 rbs. He is still pretty atheletic.

Quote:
don't understand why you'd settle for this package. You're giving up one of your better trade chips (an expiring young big) to pickup an injury prone, backup PF. If you were picking up a PG with him, I'd think about it. McDyess isn't a shot blocker anymore, so I don't see the need to make a deal like this.

Mihm, a backup center, is a trade piece and this is a trade. As far as McDyess's injuries, he has played 77 and 82 games, respectively, in the last two seasons. Mihm sat out more than that. You can't tell me you wouldn't trade Brian Cook for Carlos Delfino, who is also young and his contract is almost nothing?
Trevacious
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
We could use more depth at the PF

I don't think so, between Brown & Turiaf, and, alternately, Odom, Radmanovich or Cook.

Mihm is a Starting-quality center and should be kept, and Bynum should be his backup. Brown should only be there when the other two are in foul trouble or injured.

Mihm trade: Revisited and Rejected. Again.
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:

Personally, I like the trade...

Theres rumors Detriot will get Harrington?
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject:

Mihm is worth more. He could start for a handful of teams, maybe more. If you're just going to give him away, give him to Atlanta and maybe they deal Childress. At this point in his career McDyess doesn't thrill me enough to deal a guy that could still start for some teams. You're also taking a step back in the shot blocking department. Bottom line is I'd rather have Mihm as a backup to handle either the 4 or 5, and he wouldn't be pressured to stay out there 30mpg in foul trouble with Kwame starting.
stevewc
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:

Kwame Brown is the starting center on this team...He could also spell some time at powerforward. There's a better chance of experimenting Mihm at power forward (this was said by PJ).
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

If Bynum was dominant in the SPL, it would be tempting to trade Mihm prior to the regular season. As it is, it may be best to keep Mihm.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Nah, that trade is bad, I dont really see a need to trade Mihm.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I think the trade is decent. McDyess would be a solid tri fit on both ends of the floor, and getting Delfino would be a huge bonus. However, I think the Lakers will keep Mihm for the following reasons:

1. There aren't any slam dunk offers on the table for Mihm. It's likely that most of the available trade options are either lateral moves or conflict with the Lakers capspace/future plans. Given this assumption, the Lakers probably feel that Mihm can help them more next season than any player(s) they might bring back in a trade.

2. The Lakers are going to want to try to put Kwame back at the 4. I've explained my rationale for this numerous times, but the bottom line is that in order for Kwame to still around for the long-term, he needs to be able to play the 4 because at some point (provided that Bynum develops as expected), Andrew is going to be our starting 5 in 2-3 years. In order to get Kwame enough time at the 4 to (hopefully) adjust to the position, you need to stick a legit starting 5 next to him. That's where Mihm comes in.

Now, there are a couple of objections people might bring up in relation to the aforementioned points:

1. Kwame can't play the 4: That may or may not be the case, but I'm almost certain the Lakers are going to try this experiment again. I think the Laker brass envisions a starting frontcourt of Kwame and Bynum in 2-3 years. That only happens if Kwame can play the 4.

2. Having Mihm on the roster will take time away from Bynum: This will only be the case if Mihm comes off the bench. As a starter, there will be plenty of back-up minutes (18-23 mpg) at the 5 for Bynum. Bynum isn't likely to get that many minutes anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue at all.

3. Mihm won't start because Vlad is the projected starter: I think everyone is assuming that Vlad is going to start. It may very well end up that way, but I don't necessarily think it's written in stone. The Lakers are going to do what's best for the organization. If that means having Vlad come off the bench, then so be it. Why would the Lakers start Mihm over Vlad? Well, as already mentioned, having Mihm start would allow the Lakers to try Kwame out at the 4 again and also allow Bynum to get enough back-up minutes. Also, having Mihm start would improve our defense, and having Vlad come off the bench would give us a very potent 2nd unit. Regarding having Vlad come off the bench, remember that we have Vlad signed for 5 years, so he can start in 07/08 if there is a starting spot available. Finally, having Mihm start would preserve or (hopefully) increase his market value in case the Lakers moved him in a midseason trade or could work out a sign-and-trade next offseason.

4. Keeping Mihm might result in him walking away for nothing next season: What can I say? It might happen. However, there's always the chance that we'll be able to S&T Mihm and get some value in return. Even if that doesn't happen, it will have been well worth keeping Mihm if Kwame is able to transition to the 4 and Bynum is able to get quality back-up minutes without having too much pressure on him to deliver game-in and game-out.
jaydanasira
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

let me put my 2 cents in
first of all Kwame and Mihim don't seem to be able to work together if they change the all well and good but we need points out of the Pf area turiaf nor kwame did that for us last year and honestly the lakers have basiically said how they are gonna play them so it wouldn't hurt to get a guy who can give you that mid reange jumper especially if mihm is gonna be on the bench
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have Mihm than McDyess. If Kwame can't work with Mihm, he can't work with McDyess. You'd also lose a lot in size and shot blocking. McDyess plays a role that Kwame's responsible for on D. No weak-side shotblockers is a no no. Phil's not going to give Bynum serious minutes anyways for the next 1-2 years so no loss there. Mihm's a C who could start for several teams in the league.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

After signing Nazr there's no plausible reason to deal McDyess for Mihm and junk.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Mihm has more value than that simply due to his center eligibility and youth alone.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

^^ Did you miss that McDyess was the primary backup to Wallace for the last 2 or 3 seasons? Now that Nazr is there, he will backup Mohammed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: