SPL Game 7 LAL 132 WAS 123
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: SPL Game 7 LAL 132 WAS 123

Quote:
After a very hot start by the Lakers, a 25-15 run in the first 6 minutes of the game, Washington came back to close the quarter down to a 7 point lead. Scooter McFadgon lit up Nile Murry and Pinnock at the end of the first period on a series of drives and pull-up jump-shots.

The Wizards eventually took the lead, with Jermaine Walker scoring 11 points in 3 minutes and McFadgon scoring 10 consecutive points in the 2nd quarter to give the Wizards a 59-62 lead by halftime.

The Lakers stepped up their level of execution in the 2nd half, pushing up the tempo and creating shots for teammates. They finished the 2nd half on a 73 to 61 run with the up-tempo play to win by 11.

http://lakers.mostvaluablenetwork.com/

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Here's the game discussion. Thanks, Mike.
cmoney
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:

How's Bynum's explosiveness looking. Last season he looked slow from the point where he caught the ball to the point where he put the ball up.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to cut and paste the recaps from others here that were lost in the Bynum debate in the other thread:

jminges wrote:
Code:
                                        1  2  3  4  T
                                WIZARDS 31 31 29 32 123
                                 LAKERS 34 25 39 34 132

WASHINGTON WIZARDS
NO PLAYER            MIN   FGM-A  3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB TREB AST PF STL TO BLK PTS
08 Rashad Anderson   44:45 8-15   3-7   3-3   0    5    5    4   3  0   1  0   22
16 Jermaine Walker   41:59 9-18   0-3   5-7   1    4    5    1   0  1   3  0   23
32 Andray Blatche    41:01 7-12   3-4   9-10  4    6    10   1   7  3   6  0   26
42 Cornelius McFad   43:50 14-23  1-2   7-8   2    5    7    4   3  2   4  0   36
60 Julian Terrell    36:45 5-13   0-0   2-5   4    3    7    1   7  1   1  0   12
53 Jon Rogers        31:40 1-2    0-0   2-3   1    3    4    1   1  0   0  2   4
   TOTAL                   FGM-A  3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB TREB AST PF STL TO BLK PTS
                           44-83  7-16  28-36 12   26   38   12  21 7   15 2   123
                           53.0%  43.8% 77.8%

LOS ANGELES LAKERS
NO PLAYER            MIN   FGM-A  3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB TREB AST PF STL TO BLK PTS
20 Kasib Powell      25:40 5-8    0-1   2-3   1    1    2    3   5  0   1  0   12
17 Andrew Bynum      32:50 10-10  0-0   5-7   2    9    11   3   3  2   4  2   25
40 Marcus Slaughter  15:53 3-7    0-0   1-2   2    5    7    2   1  0   1  0   7
15 Doron Perkins     13:41 5-8    2-3   1-2   0    0    0    3   2  2   0  0   13
05 Jordan Farmar     31:18 7-12   1-4   1-3   0    0    0    11  1  3   2  0   16
23 Von Wafer         18:02 3-9    1-2   0-0   0    2    2    1   1  1   1  0   7
11 Devin Green       26:45 12-14  0-0   2-3   1    7    8    4   3  1   0  0   26
25 Danilo Pinnock    23:18 5-10   1-3   1-2   1    2    3    1   1  0   0  0   12
45 Marcus Douthit    16:37 1-2    0-0   0-0   2    2    4    1   4  0   2  0   2
35 Nick Horvath      6:21  0-0    0-0   0-0   0    1    1    1   1  0   0  0   0
55 Micheal Fey       11:00 4-5    0-0   0-0   1    0    1    1   2  0   0  1   8
10 Nile Murry        9:41  2-6    0-1   0-0   0    0    0    0   3  0   0  0   4
30 Byron Sanders     8:54  0-3    0-1   0-0   0    1    1    0   1  0   0  0   0
   TOTAL                   FGM-A  3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB TREB AST PF STL TO BLK PTS
                           57-94  5-15  13-22 10   30   40   31  28 9   11 3   132
                           60.6%  33.3% 59.1%

Van-Exel26 wrote:
Just got back from the game, it was one of the better games of the summer. The refs actually let them play and there were hardly any whistles which created a good rhythm. The Wizards basically had only 3 players who could do anything and they made their runs when those 3 caught fire. It was also their downfall becasue all three were perimeter players and were fatigued by the time the 4th quarter hit which is when the Lakers put them away for good.

Bynum was great but the bums on our team still didn't horrible job giving him post-entry passes, especially that Powell guy. Bynum should have had a lot more touches but they just wouldn't pass him the ball. Green and Farmar were the only two that made an effort to give him the ball. Green also had a great day. He played some nice defense at certain points and a nice stroke on his jumpers. Farmar played pretty solid as well. He's still struggling on perimeter jumpers but had a couple nice floaters and did a good job playmaking. He did have a few stupid turnovers where he tried to force passes that weren't there like Sky warned us about. Slaughter was non-existent, Pinnock didn't do anything special, and Wafer was decent.

Gnat wrote:
I was at the game today.

Devin Green was really impressive today. He clearly looked better than Pinnock today. He really let loose.

Wafer was okay but looked lost on defense (My wife, who doesn't even watch sports, brought it up). His shot wasn't dropping and he was a little out of control at times.

Bynum had a monster game. I felt he could've had more rebounds as he doesn't actively box out. His most impressive sequence was when he went up for a rebound, tapped the ball off the backboard, sprung back up and caught the ball in the air and dunked it in one motion. To those who haven't seen him this summer, rest assured the kid gets off the floor quicker than last year. Trust me. He's no stiff. As far as his mobility is concerned, his speed can be helped. This guy doesn't know how to run. He doesn't lift his knees at all when he runs, still he's fairly quick. He actually lumbers faster than Michael Fey can run (and Fey has a decent running motion: higher knee lift and better arm swing). This kid needs a track coach.

Farmar played really well today. He showed no signed of being hurt. He did force a couple of passes that resulted in turnovers (one was on a fast break where failed to look off the defender before making the pass. Everyone in the gym knew where that pass was going. Farmer does move really well without the ball. He made the game look easy.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
...he hit a 20′ jump-shot off of a double screen within the triangle, had a defensive stop on a Blatche drive, hit another 20′ jump-shot off of another double screen at the opposite end of the court within the triangle...

Wow. Green hit those pull-up J's that we usually set up for Smush or Kobe off the double screens?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Quote:
...he hit a 20′ jump-shot off of a double screen within the triangle, had a defensive stop on a Blatche drive, hit another 20′ jump-shot off of another double screen at the opposite end of the court within the triangle...

Wow. Green hit those pull-up J's that we usually set up for Smush or Kobe off the double screens?

Yup. Just short of Pinnock's play to make the team.

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike, those double screen plays are often called off a deadball or timeout and are specifically set up to look for that player. Did they really call Green's number for 20-foot J's off that play twice or did it just happen out of the flow of the offense?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Flow of the offense. Ball reversal out of the pick and roll situation/iso post situation.

Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject:

This game day proved to be unique in many ways. Personally, I brought my granddaughter to the game and she was thrilled to watch a Lakers game (and to see the dancing cow). The game prior to the Lakers game was very weird because it ended up being just a scrimmage game between the Orange County Players team (OCP1 vs OCP2). One side had no bench and the other side had 1 reserve. The other team was a no show or forfeited for some reason unknown to me. At half time of that game the score was something like 78 to 67. The second half was then reduced to 20 minutes (ala college hoops) and, get this, there were no refs. Very strange game with a lot of bounce pass alley oops and other fancy and risky plays followed by ABSOLUTELY no defense. On defense in the low post everyone on both sides were strictly spectators. That leads us to the Lakers, Wiz game.......

Game Summary:

Lakers 132, Wiz 123

I am so happy because I finally saw an SPL game this year where most of the Lakers favored to make the roster showed why they are favorites. This game started out strange from the pre-game warmups because the Lakers had all 14 players warming up and the Wiz only had 6. Turns out everyone else, including that 7'3" Ramos dude, sat out todays game for reasons unknown to me. This appeared to give the Lakers an extreme advantage but all the Wiz players were ballers who can fill up a stat sheet (especially Blatche and McFadden). I must say a special word for Blatche. This is the second game I have seen him play and he is one special player. Blatche is no Magic but he is two inches taller (listed at 6'11" to Magic's 6'9") and can do just about everything, as a PG would do, that Magic did only not as spectacular as Magic. He can lead the fast break, dribble and dish, hit the 3 pt shot. His game is almost more suited as a PG or point forward rather than a traditional Center or PF. Now I'll look at the Lakers players....

Individual scoring by quarter:

Bynum: 8, 3, 11, 3 for 25
Farmar: 6, 4, 4, 2 for 16
Green: 4, 4, 8, 10 for 26
Pinnock: 0, 4, 5, 3 for 12
Wafer: 3, 0, 2, 2 for 7
Powell: 2, 6, 2, 2 for 12
Perkins: 8, 0, 1, 4 for 13
Slaughter: 3, 0, 4, 0 for 7
Douthit: 0, 0, 0, 2 for 2
Murry: 0, 2, 0, 2 for 4
Fey: 0, 2, 2, 4 for 8

Individual recaps:

Bynum: Bynum played a great game today and, unlike the prior 3 games, there was nothing for me that stood out as deficiencies to point out in his game. The effort was there as well as the execution. I had no idea he was 10 for 10 in FG's until after I got home. It does make sense though because he was mentally into the entire game. Granted, he had a few days rest and Ramos wasn't playing but the Wiz, out of necessity, had an ever present 2nd body within 4 to 5 feet of Bynum ready to double down. There were also several times where the guards should have been able to get the ball to Bynum but failed to. If Bynum could have gotten the ball on a fair share of those failed chances he would have been in the 30's easy. One time Bynum went through a double team starting at the high post position to score! Bynum scored as the "oop" to Farmar's "alley." Bynum got a couple offensive rebounds this game including one where he jumped up, bounced the ball off the backboard, then immediately went up again while the ball was in the air to slam it home. Bynum had a couple blocks and one really stood out. He took three quick, long strides and leaped up to swat the ball forcefully. It was definitely a "NOT IN MY HOUSE" moment reminiscent of the olden days when Shaq sometimes blocked a shot at the last second to save a win for us. One more very bizarre and very good moment for Bynum was with around 1.6 seconds to go in the 1st half. The Wiz previous jumper was stuck between the rim and the backboard for a jump ball at center court. A fan near me called for Bynum to spike the jump ball into the hoop. I'm not sure if Bynum heard the fan but he proceeded to spike the jump ball within 5 feet of the rim. Never seen that before in my life! Bynum has shown to me what he can do when given the rest before a game. It will be nice to see if he can develop his strength, conditioning and endurance enough to play like this consistently in the future.

Farmar: Farmar played well today and did not appear to be slowed much by his injury. He made the alley oop pass to Bynum and had several other assists to Bynum. One time he stole the ball and finished it with a nice reverse layup in traffic. He also had a couple of those scoop shots go in. Farmar did make a couple turnovers on bad passes and missed most of his outside shots. Overall a very solid game from Farmar today.

Green: EVERY game I see Green play I come out more impressed with him. I am really beginning to think that, as good as Pinnock is, if it comes down to only one of them getting the roster spot, the no-brainer is to give it to Green and send Pinnock to Europe for 1 year. As good a game as Bynum had today, I would either give Green the game ball or share it between the two of them. Green showed it all today. He seemed to make all his outside jumpers today. Even though he didn't shoot a 3-ball he made some shots just within the circle. One time Green stole the ball, dribbled and made a behind the back pass for an assist. Green also made a great inside post move resulting in a slam. Green seemed to get better the longer the game went on. He had 10 points in the 4th qtr (while the closest Lakers were Perkins and Fey with 4). Green also played consistently good D today and didn't have any glaring mistakes.

Pinnock: Pinnock had a fairly good game but it was on the routine side. It almost seems like the last couple games Pinnock and Green have switched places with Green being the more impressive one lately. Reminds me of the tortoise and the hare fairy tale story and we all know how that one turned out. The one standout moment I remember from Pinnock was when he dunked the ball on an alley oop. Otherwise, compared to Green, he didn't shoot the ball as well, pass the ball as well or rebound the ball as well. Just like Green seemed to fade into the background for me last year, Pinnock seemed like a good player whose "good" game kind of fades into the background of Green's "great" game. Hopefully Pinnock can stand out more in tomorrow's game.

Wafer: Wafer had a slightly below OK game when even OK isn't good enough. He made the games first 3-ptr then it seemed like he couldn't make another shot and ended up 3 for 9. I was as high as anyone on Wafer at last year's SPL but after reality struck in training camp that he had to work within the triangle he seems to have lost his game all together. He is just not where he needs to be mentally and does not have the confidence he started out last year's SPL with. Talented and Athletic doesn't work in the NBA if it doesn't work within the team concept. Destined not to be on the Lakers roster this year.

The Rest: Nothing the rest of the Lakers players did stood out for me. The box sheet will give an indication of their games.
totoro714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team and Mike,

Great recaps - thanks!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject:

So what was the coaching strategy? Go out and have fun? Let's see how well we can run and gun? I like it, but does this game really provide a good glimpse of what is to come?

From what I am hearing, Green is really making a push to make the team. I do hope a trade comes about to move some deadweight off the team to make room for Green and others. But come playoffs time, will we really be so high on these youngsters?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
So what was the coaching strategy? Go out and have fun? Let's see how well we can run and gun? I like it, but does this game really provide a good glimpse of what is to come?

From what I am hearing, Green is really making a push to make the team. I do hope a trade comes about to move some deadweight off the team to make room for Green and others. But come playoffs time, will we really be so high on these youngsters?

Actually, the coaching staff had them concentrate on executing the offense, which is what they did. The score is reflective of two things: (1) Washington clearly didn't have the players or the size, and (2) the Lakers' execution was very good today.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Actually, the coaching staff had them concentrate on executing the offense, which is what they did. The score is reflective of two things: (1) Washington clearly didn't have the players or the size, and (2) the Lakers' execution was very good today.

That accounts for the Lakers' score, but the Wiz suited 6 players, I am reading, and the full Lakers' SPL team that was executing so well allowed 123 points?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RocknRoll
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the recaps. Much appreciated.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

i really wish we would have drafted Andray Blatche last year instead of Von
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

Its going to be fun to see who gets that last spot...Green,JR and maybe Profit
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:

We could have prob. just signed Von because it was not likely another team would have drafted him
Mege
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
encina1 wrote:

That accounts for the Lakers' score, but the Wiz suited 6 players, I am reading, and the full Lakers' SPL team that was executing so well allowed 123 points?

The offense executed so well the Lakers scored 132 points. The focus was on the offensive execution. Nile Murray was getting torched by McFadden. I don't recall the Lakers really doubling anyone.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
encina1 wrote:

I said they executed the offense well, which is something the coaching staff has been emphasizing.

As for the Wizz and their 6 players, let us not forget how far the Pheonix Suns went in the playoffs with no depth - and they put up some obscene #s. It's really not that shocking. Plus, defense is much about chemistry and knowing each other's strengths, weaknesses and tendencies - and no team in summer league play anywhere is playing superb defense right now, so it's folly to pick on the Lakers over that. Defensively, what you're seeing in all these leagues are individuals trying to stay in front of their man and hopefully getting some shot blocking behind them in the paint. Other than that, teams are predominantly "individual players" on the court trying to show their stuff and ideally trying to play team ball on both sides of the court. Defensive is very much a dance involving 5 guys on the court.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:

Me, too, but I don't think the Lakers wanted 2 HS projects. Plus, it's always easier in hindsight to see who the real gem in the 2nd round was between those 2. Bummer.

Last edited by LakerJam on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:

Gnat wrote:
encina1 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
encina1 wrote:

The offense executed so well the Lakers scored 132 points. The focus was on the offensive execution. Nile Murray was getting torched by McFadden. I don't recall the Lakers really doubling anyone.

In addition the Lakers only scored 16 points on fast breaks (the Wiz only had 4). However, in the "points in the paint" category, the Lakers won 82 to 42. So the Lakers did an excellent job of playing inside the paint (good strategy being that the Wiz didn't have much length yesterday). Most of our scores were either post ups, floaters or mid range jumpers. The execution was good enough where the shot clock wasn't a factor most of the time.

On defense the focus must have been on individual defense. McFadden had a field day on his man and the others weren't far behind. I suppose they will use the tape from this game to work on or evaluate the players defensive tendencies.

Green seems to be the most improved player from last year's SPL. I don't know if that will translate into consistent productivity in the regular season or playoffs. I think I'm going to stick to evaluating what I have seen rather than what I haven't seen yet.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

This is great news, since it shows the young team that these things are possible, and not to get too frustrated. So it is good they are playing weaker opponents right now. That way they don't get all upset that things are not working.

When they do play quality teams, then they will know what it was like and work right back to get there.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Mike, bearing in mind your assessment of Bynum, check out the Ric Bucher chat:

___

korey (la): Did you see Andrew Bynum being a very good player or a Olowakandi-like project in the next couple of years?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nancy (L.A.): Hey, Ric! Do you think Andrew Bynum can be anywhere close to the next Shaq?

Ric Bucher: (4:41 PM ET ) I predict Bynum will be somewhere between Shaq and the Kandi Man.
All kidding aside, Bynum has some promise. I see a more athletic Magloire. I wouldn't worry about him following in Kandi's footsteps -- he's with a better organization and better pros around him. Kandi came into the league with no one to teach him how to be a pro and developed some bad habits.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:

Me, too, but I don't think the Lakers wanted 2 HS projects. Plus, it's always easier in hindsight to see who the real gem in the 2nd round was between those 2. Bummer.

Not really. I wanted Blatche at 17 when I first heard the Bender rumor, was "what?", 3-4 months before the draft.

It's the FO job to not be afraid to take a chance. Draft both Bynum and Blatche and the front court would have been set for the next 10 years once they developed.

But I'm not going to act like I didn't like the Von Wafer pick. It showed some balls. Nice low risk, high reward pick. Too bad he's more of a headcase than anyone could have known.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: