Landis won the Tour de Lance.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Landis won the Tour de Lance.

His hip is disintegrating and he will require surgery for a hip replacement. He's only the third American to win the event, but the win follows Lance Armstong's seven in a row.
gildedgirth
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject:

Yeah I didn't expect another American to win so fast.

Poor times to be a French sports fan -- Zidane's ungraceful exit out of the World Cup finals, France losing the World Cup, and yet another American wins the Tour de France.

Much kudos to Landis. So if he's getting a new hip, I guess he's out of next years race. How long do those replacement need to heal?
jumpinmp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject:

Landis had lost the lead by a large margin, then made what some people say is the greatest come back in TDF history to win.
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject:

He failed a drug test, I just got it from a news ticker.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

Yawn at bicycles.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

casH wrote:
He failed a drug test, I just got it from a news ticker.

Yeah, I actually thought that after he made that insane comeback from 8 minutes down that he must have taken drugs. I watched the recap on CBS and the announcers kept saying that when he raced out to an early lead that the cyclists in the back knew that nobody would be able to keep that pace for a long time (yes, I watched cycling. It was a slow sports Sunday this past weekend ). When Landis did, that was a red flag for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

Test after the 17th stage showed high levels of testosterone...

Team has suspended Landis...

Landis misses events in Denmark and Netherlands...

No one knows where he is...

link
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

I hope Landis gets cleared of charges. If he does get cleared, he plans to be back next year. If he's not cleared, he will be suspended for two years. I'm told there is another sample to be tested. Let's see what happens.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Tour de France winner flunks drug test
By STEPHEN WILSON, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 40 minutes ago

LONDON - Tainted at the start, the Tour de France may have been tainted at the finish, too. Floyd Landis' stunning Tour de France victory was thrown into question Thursday when his team said he tested positive for high testosterone levels during stage 17, when the 30-year-old American champion began his stunning comeback with a gritty charge into the Alps.

The Phonak team suspended Landis, pending results of the backup "B" sample of his drug test. If Landis is found guilty of doping, he could be stripped of the Tour title, and Spain's Oscar Pereiro would become champion.

It wasn't immediately known when the backup sample will be tested.

Efforts to reach Landis were not immediately successful. But Arlene Landis said her son called Thursday from Europe and told her he had not done anything wrong.

"He said, 'There's no way,'" she said in an interview with The Associated Press at her home in Farmersville, Pa. "I really believe him. I don't think he did anything wrong."

Second-place finisher Pereiro said he was in no mood to celebrate.

"Should I win the Tour now it would feel like an academic victory," Pereiro told The Associated Press at his home in Vigo, Spain. "The way to celebrate a win is in Paris, otherwise it's just a bureaucratic win."

The Swiss-based Phonak team said it was notified by the International Cycling Union (UCI) on Wednesday that Landis' sample showed "an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone" when he was tested after stage 17 of the race last Thursday.

"The team management and the rider were both totally surprised of this physiological result," the Phonak statement said.

The 30-year-old Landis made a remarkable comeback in that Alpine stage, racing far ahead of the field for a solo win that moved him from 11th to third in the overall standings. He regained the leader's yellow jersey two days later.

Landis rode the Tour with a degenerative hip condition that he has said will require surgery in the coming weeks or months.

Phonak's statement came a day after the UCI, cycling's world governing body, said an unidentified rider had failed a drug test during the Tour.

Phonak said Landis would ask for an analysis of his backup sample "to prove either that this result is coming from a natural process or that this is resulting from a mistake."

Phonak manager John Lelangue said the team would ask for the second sample to be analyzed in the next few days.

"He will be fighting ... waiting for the B analysis and then proving to everyone that this can be natural," Lelangue said in a telephone interview.

Arlene Landis said it could take two weeks for the results of the backup test to be made public.

"Of course he wasn't happy about it, but they're spoiling everything he's supposed to be doing right now," she said. "Why couldn't they take care of this before they pronounced him the winner? Lance (Armstrong) went through this too. Somebody doesn't want him to win."

"Why do they put you through two weeks of misery and spoil your crown? My opinion is when he comes on top of this everyone will think so much more of him. So that's what valleys are for, right?"

If the second sample confirms the initial finding, Phonak said Landis will be fired.

USA Cycling spokesman Andy Lee said that organization could not comment on Landis.

"Because it's an anti-doping matter, it's USA Cycling's policy not to comment on that subject out of respect for the process and Floyd's rights," Lee said. "Right now, we have to let the process proceed and we can't comment on it."

Carla O'Connell, publications and communications director for the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, said: "I'll make this very brief: No comment."

UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani said Landis was notified of the test Wednesday morning. He said the cycling body doesn't require analysis of the "B" sample, but that Landis requested it.

"We are confident in the first (test)," Carpani said. "For us, the first one is already good."

"It is obviously distressing," Tour director Christian Prudhomme said at a Paris news conference, stressing the backup test still must be done. Prudhomme said it would be up to the UCI to deretmine penalties if Landis is found guilty of doping.

Under World Anti-Doping Agency regulations, a ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone greater than 4:1 is considered a positive result and subject to investigation. The threshold was recently lowered from 6:1. The most likely natural ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone in humans is 1:1.

Testosterone is included as an anabolic steroid on WADA's list of banned substances, and its use can be punished by a two-year ban.

Landis wrapped up his Tour de France win on Sunday, keeping the title in U.S. hands for the eighth straight year. Lance Armstrong, long dogged by doping whispers and allegations, won the previous seven. Armstrong never has tested positive for drugs and vehemently has denied doping.

On Thursday, Armstrong was riding in RAGBRAI, an annual bike ride across Iowa that attracts thousands of riders.

At the first break in Sully, Iowa, about 50 miles southeast of Des Moines, Armstrong had little to say at the Coffee Cup Cafe, where he grabbed a slice of coconut cream pie and a big glass of ice water.

When asked about Landis, Armstrong told The Associated Press: "I'm not here to talk about that."

Landis' inspiring Tour ride reminded many of fellow American Tyler Hamilton's gritty 2003 performance. Hamilton, riding for team CSC, broke his collarbone on the first day of the Tour but rode on, despite the pain, and finished fourth overall.

But, a year later, Hamilton, then riding for Phonak, tested positive for blood doping at a Spanish race and now is serving a two-year ban. He has denied blood doping.

Also Thursday, one of Germany's main television channels threatened to drop coverage of the Tour de France because of Landis' doping test. The ZDF channel demanded guarantees from the UCI and tour organizers that they will take firms steps against doping.

Speculation that Landis had tested positive spread earlier Thursday after he failed to show up for a one-day race in Denmark on Thursday. A day earlier, he missed a scheduled event in the Netherlands.

On the eve of the Tour's start, nine riders — including pre-race favorites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso — were ousted, implicated in a Spanish doping investigation.

The names of Ullrich and Basso turned up on a list of 56 cyclists who allegedly had contact with Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who's at the center of the Spanish doping probe.

World Anti-Doping Agency chief Dick Pound, speaking before Landis was confirmed as the rider with the positive test, said it was amazing any cyclist would risk doping after the scandals that rocked the Tour before the start.

"Despite all the fuss prior to the race with all these riders identified and withdrawn, you still have people in that race quite willing and prepared to cheat," he told the AP by phone from Montreal. "That's a problem for cycling."
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Wow.

Larry Coon, get your 2 cents in here...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Steroids seem to creep up in almost every sport now. That's why you can't compare these guys to real dominant athletes like kobe bryant and kobayashi.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

No one comes close to kobayashi - the wilt chamberlain/babe ruth of his sport.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:

Didn't Kobayashi beat his last opponent by only like 3 or 4 hotdogs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Even closer - he ate 53 3/4 dogs, while the runner up ate 52. But that 53 3/4 breaks his own world record.

But to understand Kobayashi's dominance, you gotta look beyond the dogs.

He's also eaten 69 burgers in 8 minutes.
He once ate 25 pounds of rice in one sitting.
He once ate 21 pounds of noodles in 15 minutes.
He once competed in a hot dog eating contest against a bear and lost. But he said he learned some new techniques from it (a sure sign of a dominant champion).

All that, and check this out: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Takeru_kobayashi_ab2005.jpg

When his competitors talk about him, they do so with the reverence that all competitors use to talk about the GOAT's in their sports.

http://www.blacktable.com/getlen050519.htm
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Great post socks.

Unfortunately in our society, an honest, drug free, dominant athlete like kobayashi gets no respect or endorsements. These doping cyclists could learn a thing or two from the great kobayashi.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject:

random question. how much do nba players get tested?

RIP Jayden Odom
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Check it out for the NBA:

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/basketball/index.html#NBA

Quote:
All drug tests will be analyzed by certified laboratories selected by the Medical Director, and approved by the NBA and NBPA.

Looks like there are clauses for testing based on "reasonable cause", regs for testing for rookies, and regs for testing vets.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Wow.

Larry Coon, get your 2 cents in here...

Absolutely. I'm pretty suspicious of the validity of the test.

First of all, they really are supposed to go to the B sample automatically.

Second, the test doesn't measure testosterone levels, it measures the ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone. The test is a positive if it comes out above 6.0. But Landis' positive was apparently not due to a high T, it was due to a low E. I know of no performance-enhancing reason to lower your epitestosterone. That notwtihstanding, any claim that Landis tested positive for high testosterone is apparently false.

Third, keep in mind that performance-enhancing testosterone use entails injecting it weeks ahead of time and following up its use with training. A one-day anomaly makes no sense, either in physiology (it wouldn't show up just once) or as a result of any sort of means to gain an advantage. In the most tested sport in the world, why would Landis take a big risk of detection by doing something that doesn't help him?

Fourth, WADA (the world anti-doping agency) is pretty scewed up. I can follow up with this later, but see Tyler Hamilton's case and also Lance Armstrong's letter to the IOC regarding WADA and its head, Dick Pound. Arbitrary standards, "witch hunt" tactics, etc.

Fifth, there exists what can be considered a pretty reasonable explanation for Landis' lowered epitestosterone level. By his own admission, he drank beer the night of his "bonk" (the day before his comeback and positive test). Here's one article cite:

Quote:
The Effect of Alcohol Consumption on the Urinary Testosterone /
Epitestosterone Ratio

By Dr Simon Davis B.Sc., Ph.D.

Summary

Intoxicating beverages contain a number of different forms of alcohol,
the major constituent of which is ethanol. When a beverage is consumed
the ethanol content passes through the stomach wall and digestive tract
into the blood stream. Once the ethanol enters circulation it begins
to alter the bodies' biochemistry. One such reaction is to
differentially increase the rates of testosterone (T) and
epitestosterone (E) metabolism. The overall effect of this reaction is
to increase the ratio of T to E excreted in the urine.

It has been reported that ethanol consumption can increase urinary T/E
ratios by 30% - 277% in healthy individuals. Observed changes in
plasma T/E ratios can occur with the consumption of less than 2 pints
of lager. The ingestion of ethanol by an individual will increase the
T/E ratio observed in a urine sample.

It follows that if the effect of ethanol on T/E ratios is calculated
relative to urinary E concentrations, it can be seen that increases in
the ratio are exponential as E concentrations decrease. Individuals
with naturally low E concentrations could, therefore, experience
increases in T/E ratios of ? 940% greater than increases experienced in
an individual with normal E concentrations. Calculations estimate
that in individuals with low urinary E concentration, ratios of 17 to 1
or higher could have resulted from ethanol consumption without any
administration of exogenous T.

The current T/E ratio test as performed by Kings College Laboratory and
approved by the UK Sports, the IWF and IOC cannot discriminate between
a 13 to 1 T/E ratio resulting from ethanol ingestion or a 13 to 1 ratio
resulting from endogenous T administration.

So I'm keeping an open mind on this until all is said and done....
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:

Interesting. Sounds pretty adamant, too.

I wonder if I would have even suspected Landis taking some drug if it wasn't for all the accusations against Lance and the steroid scandal hitting baseball now. It's just sad that now if there's a great performance like that, some of us automatically suspect doping.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

Thx Larry, never knew that and it makes sense to me
CheetahMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:

"Kobayashi can eat 12 hot dogs in a minute; Kirstie Alley can eat 12 Kobayashis in 60 seconds."
- Conan
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Great post, Larry. I've been pretty leery of Pound's zealotry...the theatrics and the witch hunt. Kind of reminds me of the whole Richard Jewel thing with the Olympics.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Great post, Larry. I've been pretty leery of Pound's zealotry...the theatrics and the witch hunt. Kind of reminds me of the whole Richard Jewel thing with the Olympics.

It reminds me of the whole thing with the victims advocacy groups when Kobe was accused. In order to support their cause, they needed to assume he was guilty. WADA is like that -- they're so zealous in their pursuit against doping that innocent people can get steamrolled.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Report: Tests dispute Landis' testosterone claims...

NEW YORK (AP) -- Tests show that some of the testosterone in Floyd Landis' system at the Tour de France was synthetic and not naturally produced by his body as he claimed, according to a newspaper report.

The French antidoping lab testing the American cyclist's samples determined that some of the hormone came from an external source, The New York Times reported on its Web site Monday night, citing a person at the International Cycling Union with knowledge of the result...
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:

The detection of exogenous testosterone requires the more sophisticated Carbon Isotope Ratio (CIR) test. This test can discern the differences in carbon atoms between synthetic and natural testosterone, but it is not performed unless the initial T/E test is positive, since it is much more expensive. From many reports I've heard, this test hasn't been performed yet, and wouldn't be performed until/unless they had completed the T/E test on Landis' B sample -- which has not yet been completed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: