Ned Colleti- Sort of Lakers related

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Ned Colleti- Sort of Lakers related

First off I'm a Dodger fan, but I don't think they are winning the World Series any time soon. It still feels good to have a GM that actually is trying to make something happen sooner than later and is not afraid to take chances. The Angels are closer to a World Series but haven't made a significant move in two years. That brings me to Mitch who's BS speech about why the Lakers don't sign key free agents or make big trades I pretty much have memorized. This is LA and there are plenty of things to do with your free time. Last week I had given up on the Blue and started looking forward to the Raiders starting soon. Now I'm planning my next Dodger game to go to and rushing home to catch the game. We may not even win the West but theres hope now and I think thats all a true fan wants is hope for their team. When was the last time Mitch gave any hope to us Laker fans?
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:

1) Early impressions of our draft this year are that Farmar is a keeper. Considering we had the 26th pick, seems to me like we did very well. Pinnock was a very good second round pick, though we may not have room on the roster this year. Evans is a solid, cheap replacement for DG.

2) Bynum is another guy who looks like he's progressed well and should contribute this year. Regardless of whether or not you think Buss made this pick, it happened on Mitch's watch. Turiaf is playing well for the French National team. I'm excited about what he can do for us next year - also a Mitch pick.

3) Signed Radmanovic. Seems like an excellent value for the MLE considering what some other guys are getting paid these days.

Yeah, there's been no major superstar signings, but considering the cap situation, that's understandable enough. It took West 9 years to build another champion after we won in the '87-'88 season. Next season will be year 5 since our last championship. So far the progress doesn't look bad to me.

So what else would you want Mitch to do right now?
fiddle8
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

Running an MLB team is a hell of a lot different than working under the NBA salary cap. Plus signing free agents is much more difficult in hoops than in baseball. I think Mitch is doing a reasonably good job.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
1) Early impressions of our draft this year are that Farmar is a keeper. Considering we had the 26th pick, seems to me like we did very well. Pinnock was a very good second round pick, though we may not have room on the roster this year. Evans is a solid, cheap replacement for DG.

2) Bynum is another guy who looks like he's progressed well and should contribute this year. Regardless of whether or not you think Buss made this pick, it happened on Mitch's watch. Turiaf is playing well for the French National team. I'm excited about what he can do for us next year - also a Mitch pick.

3) Signed Radmanovic. Seems like an excellent value for the MLE considering what some other guys are getting paid these days.

Yeah, there's been no major superstar signings, but considering the cap situation, that's understandable enough. It took West 9 years to build another champion after we won in the '87-'88 season. Next season will be year 5 since our last championship. So far the progress doesn't look bad to me.

So what else would you want Mitch to do right now?

LA Native, I agree with you completely. It feels good to know your GM is working the phones and trying to make things happen even at the very last hour (as referenced in the LA times yesterday). After Depo got canned Coletti seems like a great replacement . Mitch is an OK GM maybe a little better than average, but if we had very good-great GM then we would have a differnet sense of optimism about the upcoming season.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:

fiddle8 wrote:
Running an MLB team is a hell of a lot different than working under the NBA salary cap. Plus signing free agents is much more difficult in hoops than in baseball. I think Mitch is doing a reasonably good job.

I agree reasonably good. But what Native is trying to say is that Coletti seems to be in the mold of a Jerry West. Mitch is more along the lines of a Dan Evans or Fred Claire. A play it safe at all cost GM that gets hung up on by GM's around the league. When West was here we were spoiled there was always the expectation that we were going to pull off a steal of a trade. Even during West rebuilding years the Lakers were loaded with talent. In 1998 we had 4 all stars on the roster.
We were spoiled back then with a great GM.
And now it is great to see the dodgers finally find one. If that is what native is trying to say then I agree with him.
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:

1) Mitch did nothing to get Farmar, we were lucky he fell to us. If anything I can appreciate Mitch not messing it up and unless some type of trade happens Pinnock wont even make the team

2) I like Turiaf, but Buss gets the credit or criticism for the Bynum pick.

Also when speaking on the GM I didn' mention the draft but rather what the GM does as far as bringing in talent when someone goes down or to help you reach the playoffs. For example who replaced Profit when he went down or who did we bring in for our playoff run. The answer is Jim Jackson, a guy who as of right now isn't even in the NBA. Meanwhile the Suns got Tim Thomas and the Cavs got Flip Murray and both teams made it to at least the second round. Hell even the Queens made the Artest trade for better or worse.

3)Your right Vlad does give me some hope for the coming season, just like Kwame gave me hope last off season. Not the same hope the Bulls have with Wallace or the Suns get with Amare returning but its something.

Baseball is hard to compare with any sport that has a cap, my point is moves are being made to give the fan base hope. Like I said I don't expect the Dodgers to win a wolrd championship soon but as a fan I appreciate a GM that shakes thing up. It gives me hope and probably the players on the field hope as well.
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

The Dodgers are only 3 games out at this time. It's turning around.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

I hear you LA Native.

Mitch is doing OK, but he's not a guy you look at as a major player who's going to go above and beyond keeping the ship on course.

For example, signing Rad was a solid move and Mitch accomplished it. But while West pulled it off, if Mitch was GM at the time, what're the odds we get Kobe and Shaq that year? Probably very slim. Mitch is making small, smart moves to improve the club, but nothing earth shaking.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
I hear you LA Native.

Mitch is doing OK, but he's not a guy you look at as a major player who's going to go above and beyond keeping the ship on course.

For example, signing Rad was a solid move and Mitch accomplished it. But while West pulled it off, if Mitch was GM at the time, what're the odds we get Kobe and Shaq that year? Probably very slim. Mitch is making small, smart moves to improve the club, but nothing earth shaking.

Yes, ^^^^!!
you hit the nail on the head, Mitch isnt bad, he just isnt someone that you expect to make great moves. For the record Mitch would have probably never landed Shaq and Kobe in 1996. I dont even think he could have got Glen Rice in 99-eventhough that wasnt the greatest deal.
Caron1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

Mihm for Ned Colleti!
Hap4n
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject:

Two Totaly different sports.
Baseball you have hundreds of prospects to dispove of.

Basketball about 17-19 players.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject:

Ned is looking very good!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: