guitar advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: guitar advice

Ive been playing for a year..on and off. Ive still got a lot to learn and cant say i have really mastered barre chords. I get a decent sound, but sometimes i find myself pressing too hard..so much so, that my hand cramps up.(especially in a song that has a bunch of barre chord changes)

My question is about the strings:

I play steel string acoustic and havent changed the strings yet..Not sure how often they shoud be changed. Also, when I do change them, is there a "softer" steel string that I can use? Im hoping that if there is, Ill be able to play a smoother barre chord.

thanks
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject:

I've been playing guitar for about 9 years so I think I can help you out. I like to use heavier gauge strings because I think they sound more full and just better in general. But starting out, especially learning barre chords, you should use lighter gauge strings. I like 11s or 12s personally but I think you should try out 9s. I use D'Addario and Ernie Ball a lot. Honestly, I can't tell the difference all that much between brands. But you can definately tell the difference between 9s and 12s. Try using 'extra light' strings and playing barre chords will become much easier. Also, to get more hand strength, play scales (chromatic, major, minor, whatever) up and down the neck over and over. It gets boring but its really worth it in the long run. You could also masterbate 4 times a day. I had trouble with barre chords when I first started too (as I would think most people do) but with practice you won't even have to think about it anymore.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:

can you point out some good sites were i can learn scales?

thanks

forgot to ask, is there a way I can tell what gauge i currently have?
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
can you point out some good sites were i can learn scales?

thanks

forgot to ask, is there a way I can tell what gauge i currently have?

Sites for scales? I dunno just google stuff. I'm sure you will find dozens of sites that cater to that.

As for what gauge you have on your guitar currently, you can't really tell. I guess just look at the packaging you bought the strings in, it should say on it. Thats really the only way. I mean, you can guess what gauge they are by how thick they seem to you but you'd need to have a lil experience before you can make an educated guess. I'd just go buy some new strings and put those on. See how they feel to you.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject:

thanks..I actually found all the info i needed.

thanks again.
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

LT, a few things...

- it could be your action on the guitar. Take it to a guitar shop and see if they can work on it for you.

- also, if you are going to use different gauge strings you need to have someone make sure your guitar is set up to accommodate the switch. When you change the type of strings, your truss rod needs to be adjusted.

- oh, as for changing the strings... you will get a brighter sound with newer strings. Also, the older, more corroded the strings, the harder they are on your fingers. As for how often, it depends on how often you play, how fast your strings get corroded (each person's acidity affects this differently).

- what type of music are you playing? That will allow us to help guide you better. As an example, open chords &/or power chords can often be substituted for standard barre chords.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

try lowering your action...that'll help with the chords...

don't go any lower than mediums..you sacrifice too much tone..

lights are too bright and don't offer a lot of warmth...
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

you can also try to make sure you are forming the barre chords right next to the fret. you can get a better sound out of it.
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

^^Hey tnm! The morley works great... I finally got a (Fender) stomp box tuner that will work well in combo to keep me tuned while playing. Thanks again.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:

nice brother... I'm heading to Hawaii on the 29th of this month..pretty excited to surf the north shore...even though its going to be flat..luau's...diamond head...

any more ideas?
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Let me know... I can get a deal on a lot of the tickets. Weathers been pretty nice... most showers here pass in a little bit (if not you usually can drive to another spot on the island that isn't raining. Yeah, the north shore is usually flat in the summer... my son can probably give you tips on where to find a good surf spot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: