OT; REgarding USA basketball team

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born89FanIn95
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: OT; REgarding USA basketball team

yes they destroyed china and puerto rico.... but is this what we should expect from USA??? how would things be if china still had yao ming? and dou think usa can take care of teams like germany, argentina and italy

and i didnt kno that yao ming wasnt playin till they showed him in the bench... all those players yao ming to me so i thought he was playin i was wondering when are they gonna take him out of the game he's been playin all day... then i find out he wasnt playin..... newayz but ya is TEAM USA the real deal??
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

It's far better. Yi Jianlian didn't do much against the USA team. People keep projecting him as the next lotto pick but I disagree.

Unlike previous USA teams, this one actually plays defense. Joe Johnson, Arenas, Hinrich, and Brand have the biggest impact defensively.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Here's a pretty good take on what Team USA is up against...

This Isn’t The NBAThat Team USA Is Playing Against; It’s The World’s Best Teams
Quote:
But beyond the competition, Team USA has to understand the rules. As I argued with one radio host on the Richmond, VA show Saturday, just because basketball was created in this country, that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re the best at it.

When it comes to international competition, Team USA is going to be at a serious disadvantage. I want to go back to the group teams for a moment and pick out just two teams for you to understand how hard American ball players will have at playing in the international spotlight.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
As I argued with one radio host on the Richmond, VA show Saturday, just because basketball was created in this country, that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re the best at it.

Basketball is a Canadian invention.

^^ Farmar

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:

Quote:
But beyond the competition, Team USA has to understand the rules. As I argued with one radio host on the Richmond, VA show Saturday, just because basketball was created in this country, that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re the best at it.

When it comes to international competition, Team USA is going to be at a serious disadvantage. I want to go back to the group teams for a moment and pick out just two teams for you to understand how hard American ball players will have at playing in the international spotlight.

^^i've been saying that since we put that throw together team last year.

To this day. I dont know why Dwade is truly on the roster. Sure i know why. the guy is a baller. and he isn't selfish. But he doesn't have good lateral defense. never has. he can block shots for a little guy. but thats about it. or jump in the lane to steal a pass. but he doesn't have a shaq or Zo downlo to cover if he misses that steal.

and wades 1 on 1 game wont work in International play because they all run pack it in zones. those teams who do not. will probably be blown out. and another thing, unless Dwade gets Finals type of touch and ghost calls. he will be missing jumpers all night long. unless he catches fire. Similar with lebron. except the fact that lebron is so big and quick. he can impose his will on an entire team. even when in a zone.

We're still missing shooters. Redd is doing something this offseason, Ray declined for some reason, and kobe is hurt at the moment. these are all bonafide shooting threats. hinrich was a great scoop up. I said we should've got him on the last go round.

miller and bosh were good pickups. because they are tweeners just like the Euro guys. Big men that can shoot dribble and pass.

Now granted if we get some serious team Chem going as the articles author suggested. the offense wont be as much a problem as we think, because the entire thing will be based on defense and rebounding. kind of like Detroit basketball with larry brown. just more fast breaks. we still have man to man defense advantage on the world. we can still go into a press to pull off a miracle win if need be.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

eniq 0x00 wrote:

Billy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

We are supposed to be the best.

We have the best athletes in the world.

We have the best coaches of the world.

We have the best pro league in the world.

We have the best college program of the world.

We have the largest talent pool in the world.

We have the best competitions at all levels,

We have the best paid professionals in the world.

We have the most pro players in the world.

It would be a shame that we do not get back what belongs to us: the gold medals of the worlds or the Olympics.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Billy wrote:

It would be a shame that we do not get back what belongs to us: the gold medals of the worlds or the Olympics.

That's not true. Several Euroleagues are considerably better than our college ranks, unless you're comparing our college ranks to a college league that doesn't exist in Europe.

We have the best players and athletes, and the best professional league in the world. That's true enough. We don't, hoever, need to act as though we're so superior in every aspect and on every level, when that's flatly not true. Europeon players spend 6-8 hours every day working on their skills and fundamentals, our young guys do not. If you pit our high school and junior high school players against Euro guys of the same age, they'd get eaten alive.

The sooner we give our opponents the respect they deserve, the sooner we'll return to absolute dominance.
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:

eniq 0x00 wrote:
Quote:
As I argued with one radio host on the Richmond, VA show Saturday, just because basketball was created in this country, that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re the best at it.

Invented in America by a Canadian who later became an American citizen.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Billy wrote:

The NBA is not just the USA any more. The top two MVP vote recipients were not US players last year. France's team is almost all NBA players.

The USA has more talented players to chose from, but that talent "level" is not exclusive to the US anymore.

As for Coaching, because the NBA doesn't scout other leagues for coaches, how can we be sure we've got the best? There is no track record there.

We will field the team with the most talent on it, but that doesn't always translate into winning it all. (See Blazers 2000 and many other teams)
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:

If you look at the All-NBA first team, it's dominated by U.S. players. The U.S. should win in the Olympics.
Waterboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:

Quote:

What in the hell is that website? blackathlete.net? Is there a whiteathlete.net website too?

Ok, i digress....i'm glad Team USA had a close call against Brazil. Those first 2 games against PR and China made them overconfident and the Brazil game brought them back down to reality. Its not gonna be easy for Team USA. The key to success though is keeping the core players intact and injury-free. That's the only way we can gel as a team. I think the players selected thus far are great. No ego's, no selfishness, no personal agendas. Hopefully Kobe can jump right in and not have any effect on the team mentality in place. Sure, Kobe will probably be the best player on the team, but in order to be successful i think he needs to rely on his teammates more than he's probably used to doing with the Lakers (unfortunately). Otherwise, he'll quickly alienate himself from the rest of the team and only confirm the negative rumours going around the league about playing with him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: