Holy Crap, Batman! Sony Playstation Mag Editor crossing over!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Holy Crap, Batman! Sony Playstation Mag Editor crossing over!

She's the Managing Editor of the Official Playstation Magazine

Dana Jongewaard's Blog
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Same exact reason I bought an X-Box 360. I had always been a Playstation guy, but when I heard it was going to be in that price range, plus all the release pushbacks, I said "screw it" and bought a 360.

On a side note, I was happy with my 360 until it broke unexpectedly. But I get it replaced for free.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Same exact reason I bought an X-Box 360. I had always been a Playstation guy, but when I heard it was going to be in that price range, plus all the release pushbacks, I said "screw it" and bought a 360.

On a side note, I was happy with my 360 until it broke unexpectedly. But I get it replaced for free.

what price range?

you know, that the PS3's price is with Blu-Ray included right? you know how much a blu-ray player will run you? did you know that the ps3 at the moment has 1 or perhaps 2 levels. unlike the xbox with like 4 different levels. where you are not really getting the full deal until you shell out ps3 type of cash. its all the same. now the push backs didn't help it, i'll admit that. But i rather it be pushed back, then come out half working. cause the moment i get hear about people taking it back on the first go round. I would wait an additional 4 months anyway.

on another note. that Test Drive Unlimited Game looks beautiful on the 360.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

what price range?

you know, that the PS3's price is with Blu-Ray included right? you know how much a blu-ray player will run you? did you know that the ps3 at the moment has 1 or perhaps 2 levels. unlike the xbox with like 4 different levels. where you are not really getting the full deal until you shell out ps3 type of cash. its all the same. now the push backs didn't help it, i'll admit that. But i rather it be pushed back, then come out half working. cause the moment i get hear about people taking it back on the first go round. I would wait an additional 4 months anyway.

on another note. that Test Drive Unlimited Game looks beautiful on the 360.

My thing is, I don't have an HDTV. I was a poorly paid reporter and now I'm a poorly paid teacher. Once I make enough money to buy the TV I want, get the cable service I want, then I'll splurge and get the Blu-Ray. By that time, the price will have dropped a few hundred bucks. CD players were about $1,000 when they came out. A few years later, they were half that price.

I'd have actually preferred the PS3, but I'm happy with what I have ... well, once I get it back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:

^^ The deal with the blue-ray is that nobody even knows if it'll succeed. This has Sony Betamax written all over it again. So if the industry doesn't pick up the blue-ray, it'll be another overpriced useless option.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
^^ The deal with the blue-ray is that nobody even knows if it'll succeed. This has Sony Betamax written all over it again. So if the industry doesn't pick up the blue-ray, it'll be another overpriced useless option.

True, or LaserDisc v DVD...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:

blu ray will prevail simply because it is attached to the sony playstation. the 360 frankly just isn't that impressive and has technical problems. also a lot of people who wanted one couldn't get one.

ps3 will pwn 360.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
blu ray will prevail simply because it is attached to the sony playstation. the 360 frankly just isn't that impressive and has technical problems. also a lot of people who wanted one couldn't get one.

ps3 will pwn 360.

I doubt that it will own the 360. But anyone who thinks the PS 3 will fail is crazy. Sony will be able to hold its own just on Japan alone.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:

ps3 will pwn 360.

Technical problems? Oh and PS2 didn't have a million of those at launch? I'm sure PS3 will have bugs. That's why those people that camp out for systems the first day its out are dumb. Guess what guys you will be able to get one later with a lot less bugs. Don't buy at launch that's dumb.

Whether Sony prevails or not what they are really interested in is to make Blue Ray the new medium for movies not gaming. That is why they have been losing a lot of exclusives to 360 and even had some games cancelled completely while they will still be coming out for 360.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject:

Sony is setting itself up for failure with the PS3. It obviously isn't going to bankrupt them, but I don't forsee it achieving the level of success that the PS2 has seen. The $600 price point is going to be a serious sticking point. Especially when considering that you have the alternative of an Xbox 360 for $400 and a Nintendo Wii at probably just over $200.

Blu-Ray isn't going to matter. Neither it nor HD-DVD are going to fail simply because people won't care and hardware manufacturers will see that. Soon you'll be able to buy a player that handles both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and the format war will go the way of DVD-R vs. DVD+R. In the meantime, most people aren't going to care about HD at all. At least not for a few years.

eureca wrote:
Technical problems? Oh and PS2 didn't have a million of those at launch?

It did, but the launch of the PS2 had exactly zero competitors. Nintendo's Gamecube and Microsoft's Xbox wouldn't hit the market for over a year after the PS2 launched. They had that long to work out the bugs. The opposite is true this time. The Xbox 360 is going to have at least a year head start on the PS3, probably more since it seems less and less likely that it will hit the market before the holiday season.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Sony is setting itself up for failure with the PS3. It obviously isn't going to bankrupt them, but I don't forsee it achieving the level of success that the PS2 has seen. The $600 price point is going to be a serious sticking point. Especially when considering that you have the alternative of an Xbox 360 for $400 and a Nintendo Wii at probably just over $200.

Blu-Ray isn't going to matter. Neither it nor HD-DVD are going to fail simply because people won't care and hardware manufacturers will see that. Soon you'll be able to buy a player that handles both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and the format war will go the way of DVD-R vs. DVD+R. In the meantime, most people aren't going to care about HD at all. At least not for a few years.

eureca wrote:

It did, but the launch of the PS2 had exactly zero competitors. Nintendo's Gamecube and Microsoft's Xbox wouldn't hit the market for over a year after the PS2 launched. They had that long to work out the bugs. The opposite is true this time. The Xbox 360 is going to have at least a year head start on the PS3, probably more since it seems less and less likely that it will hit the market before the holiday season.

to some point HD isn't everyone's first priority. but neither was Hi-speed cable a few years ago. and bam. if you have dial-up shame on you. you're in the ice ages. but the way gadgets and gizmos are flying off the shelves just because its a new gadget or gizmo. that tells you people just want to be up on the newest latest, latest newest. to the point of overkill. that means yes, people will want HD/Blu-ray. just to be up on it. just like a new computer. you get one on friday and by monday they have a new one out thats a 3rd faster. so you go get that one.

$600 is steep because everything is included. its not a trick to pull you in, and have you buy a low level version to get started and have to buy add ons that will end up being $600. and as far as the ps3 shipping after 360. it will help the ps3's launch batches. they should not have as many problems as they had when the ps2 dropped first. the ps2 dropped first to beat the Xbox. this time as you stated, it was flipped. because of that. xbox thru out half butt systems on the first go around. ps3 should not have to do that. because they've taken all the time pre-launch.

and by the way, standing outside to get a ps3 or xbox at launch to play Is Foolish. but doing the same to sell it, is very very smart. let see, i stand outside for 4 hours. and sell this thing on ebay for a grand to $1200 and i payed $400 to 4600 for it. you do the math. thats more then i make on my day job in 4 hours. how about you?
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Exick wrote:

eureca wrote:

to some point HD isn't everyone's first priority. but neither was Hi-speed cable a few years ago. and bam. if you have dial-up shame on you. you're in the ice ages. but the way gadgets and gizmos are flying off the shelves just because its a new gadget or gizmo. that tells you people just want to be up on the newest latest, latest newest. to the point of overkill. that means yes, people will want HD/Blu-ray. just to be up on it. just like a new computer. you get one on friday and by monday they have a new one out thats a 3rd faster. so you go get that one.

$600 is steep because everything is included. its not a trick to pull you in, and have you buy a low level version to get started and have to buy add ons that will end up being $600. and as far as the ps3 shipping after 360. it will help the ps3's launch batches. they should not have as many problems as they had when the ps2 dropped first. the ps2 dropped first to beat the Xbox. this time as you stated, it was flipped. because of that. xbox thru out half butt systems on the first go around. ps3 should not have to do that. because they've taken all the time pre-launch.

and by the way, standing outside to get a ps3 or xbox at launch to play Is Foolish. but doing the same to sell it, is very very smart. let see, i stand outside for 4 hours. and sell this thing on ebay for a grand to $1200 and i payed $400 to 4600 for it. you do the math. thats more then i make on my day job in 4 hours. how about you?

Except this time around, it's going to be dumb waiting in line and trying to sell it on ebay with no buyers. There is not as much hype this time around for the PS3. I've read a lot of people's opinions and they'd rather go with the 360 and Wii as buying both of these would still be cheaper than the PS2.

As for people wanting to be uptodate with the latest, the problem here is that there are two formats that are totally incompatiable with each other. It's VHS and Betamax all over again. People will have to choose one over the other. There's no way people will shell out money to have both, especially if they're expected to be 400+, with the blue-ray costing more than $1k. So in the end, there will be one loser, and it might be Sony
Star
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Exick wrote:

eureca wrote:

You speak as if everyone has jumped on the Broadband bandwagon. Broadband penetration, despite being available for over a decade and the internet being as pervasive as it is, is only at 50%. Cable being a little less than half of that. That means more people than not still use a really slow dial-up connection. The tells me MOST people don't want the newest, latest, fastest, etc. They want what works for them.

That speaks to value. For most people, dial-up is just fine. My mom surfs a few sites, doesn't download anything, so dial up works for her. It doesn't matter if cable is a little bit more. The fact is its more for value that she DOESN'T GET.

It goes the same for this debate. How many people really care if PS3 has Blu-Ray? Like others have pointed out. Most don't have a 1080P TV, DVDs do just fine, and there isn't a whole lot of content out there now.

I don't think you can discount the $200 difference either. For me, and it sounds like for you, it isn't a big deal. But with the rising price of gas, rising interest rates and mortgages, and just about everything else costing more these days, it can be the difference between being able to drive their car to work and not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: