Time Warner Merger...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Time Warner Merger...

Anyone feeling any effects, of the new merger, between Adelphia, Comcast, and Time Warner??... Tonight, I found that I couldn't access my "On Demand" function... When I called in, they claim that it has nothing to do with the new merger.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject:

If you have Time Warner, then it probably doesn't. Depends on where you live since Time Warner and Comcast agreed to swap some customers in certain areas. I believe those areas are some parts of Texas and Kansas, but I don't remember. At any rate, it's not really a merger. Time Warner and Comcast are acquiring Adelphia. So it breaks down like this:

Some Time Warner customers will get switched to Comcast. The vast majority will stay Time Warner.
Some Comcast customers will get switched to Time Warner. The vast majority will stay Comcast.
Some Adelphia customers will get switched to Comcast and the rest will get switched to Time Warner.

If you already have either Time Warner or Comcast, you most likely won't be affected. And it's probably true that the On Demand feature being down had nothing to do with the purchase of Adelphia.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

I think anyone in SoCal that had Adelphia or Comcast is now TimeWarner
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

I received a pamphlet last night and it talked about channel lineup changes

that means theyll push for the DIDGITAL overpriced packages so that you can watch the sports channels/

I hope i dont get affected because I simply pay 15 bucks and get to watch the Lakers play..thats all i care for. I dont want movies!
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

I have Adelphia(Thank God Time Warner now..Adelphia SUCKED) and I was wondering if the new channel lineup includes NBA TV..when I called them last week they were not sure about a package that includes NBA TV but maybe now there is further info..also..I notice that with Dish Network and Direct TV, there are many Fox Sports Net Channels available, will it be the same with Time Warner? I'm excited to see what kind of new channels we will be getting..better be something better then the crap we got now..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
I have Adelphia(Thank God Time Warner now..Adelphia SUCKED) and I was wondering if the new channel lineup includes NBA TV..when I called them last week they were not sure about a package that includes NBA TV but maybe now there is further info..also..I notice that with Dish Network and Direct TV, there are many Fox Sports Net Channels available, will it be the same with Time Warner? I'm excited to see what kind of new channels we will be getting..better be something better then the crap we got now..
MEOW
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

jamas33 wrote:
LakerFanAlways wrote:
MEOW

Dude you crack me up
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:

I'm getting the Time Warner Logo, on my t.v. screen... I was with Adelphia. I don't notice any channel changes, and I didn't get any pamphlets... I don't even remember any advance warning... Of course, I get so locked in, at work, that I don't notice much, anyway...

It was just like WHAM, and you are now Time Warner!!
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

I hate stupid cable packages. ANyone have Time warner? Arent they expensive?
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:

I used to have Time Warner. They were more expensive than Adelphia, but they also had infinitely better service.

Incidentally, I've been seeing some commercials about the merger lately. Apparently all Adelphia and Comcast customers in the Southern California are being switched to Time Warner. Just a heads up.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:

TW service is better but it will take a while to fix the Adelphia mess.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject:

you should all be glad you don't have cox cable. the worst ever.
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I had Comcast and got switched to Time Warner, but I'm dumping them and getting Verizon's FIOS service!
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

I used to have Time Warner. They were more expensive than Adelphia, but they also had infinitely better service.

Incidentally, I've been seeing some commercials about the merger lately. Apparently all Adelphia and Comcast customers in the Southern California are being switched to Time Warner. Just a heads up.

I just received something in the mail, from Time Warner...QUOTE:

"Will my price go up?"

"No, your price will remain the same. This fall, we'll be introducing new value-priced cable packages that may even help save you money!"

TRANSLATION(??): We will get a bunch of circa 50's, and 60's re-runs, for a basic price... Anything else, worth watching, will cost you an arm and a leg!!... :roll:

One thing I've learned, in my Adelphia experience... All the great technical/engineering innovations, in the world, cannot make up, for a lack in good, imaginative, intelligent, truly innovative programming, from truly great minds... I think, that is why, regular PBS Programming, often, still has better programs to watch... There are some good cable channels, like "The History Channel", or "Court T.V."... I guess everyone has their personal taste... I don't know... I guess I just expected that we would do more, with all this new technology, than just sell cheap trinkets, or provide fodder, for people who would rather live in a brainless world... :roll:

With Adelphia, I had like a hundred channels, but I got callouses on my fingers, from flipping channels...
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Maybe, I'm being too harsh??... I don't know if it's my imagination, but the sound and picture quality seems to have improved... I guess, I'll take a "wait-and-see" approach??.... I saw a couple of insightful documentaries tonight,...eh, I guess things can always improve.
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Should I go for Dish Network or Direct TV..we have Time Warner now(previously Adelphia) but they told us that nothing will take effect til October thats when the new packages will be introduced..I wanna see what the new packages will contain before I switch
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

I would spend some time, with a friend, who has Dish, and Direct T.V.

I can tell you a couple of things, though, which you can take, at face value... I am a technician, at a Vets Hospital, that has to take care of some of the "head-in" equipment, for Direct T.V., as well as maintain the position of the Dish... I can tell you, that it is a pain-in-the-bleep!!... In addition, I suspect a lot of interference, from telecommunications, from surrounding businesses. There seems to also be some kind of atmospheric interference.
During the peak, of the recent hot weather, many of the "agile processors", amplifiers, and descrambling modules just got too hot, and had to be replaced...

Cable takes care of their own "head-in" equipment, and they take full responsibility, for picture quality, all the way to the t.v. set.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

I had Adelphia when I lived in Palms and I hated it. It was the worst system ever. I had TW in El Segundo and loved it. I got my high speed and cable for under $100 with TW. I liked the DVR and their service was top notch.

I moved again about 18 months ago into an Adelphia area and ended up with DirecTV, which offers no real option for highspeed internet. It's cool and all but if TW is buying up Adelphia, I'm going to switch back to TW when the merger is complete and functioning in my area.

Once I get my cable, DVR and highspeed with TW, I'm also going to switch to VOIP. I hate paying AT&T $50 a month for a service I rarely use. No one ever calls me at home except telemarketers.

Anybody have any tips on VOIP?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

I have Dish, and I have none of the problems that LakersSpirit talks about. I have had mine for two years now, and my father has had DirecTV for even longer, and no problems with adjusting.

Seriously, for the price of cable and the constant removing of channels, it is not worth it. Dish has better packages and more choices.

I had heard that Congress is trying to get cable companies to allow customers to choose the individual channels they want, not just packages. Anyone know if this has happened yet? For too long cable has been unchecked and grown into a monopoly, and it sucks ass. I like that the FCC cannot impose sanctions or fines against cable, but as a business, cable sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

It's called ala carte and nothing is happening yet.

Cable companies hate the idea.

Perish the thought you would no longer have to pay for channels you never watch.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
Should I go for Dish Network or Direct TV..we have Time Warner now(previously Adelphia) but they told us that nothing will take effect til October thats when the new packages will be introduced..I wanna see what the new packages will contain before I switch

If you like football, then Direct Tv. I have Dish Network, not bad at all.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

I guess, I only suffer those Direct T.V. Problems, because I deal with a large facility, where I have to maintain all the "head-in" equipment, as well as a large dish....??
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: