Lucid Dreams

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Lucid Dreams

Anyone ever have Lucid Dreams? I often have them, but only to the extent that I'm able to recognize when I'm having a nightmare, so I'll quickly "leave" the dream if I don't feel like being scared.

Well, the other night I was in a dream that my grandfather had found out he had cancer and only had a week to live. In the dream, I'm crying and all my family can think to do is tell me "everything will be ok". And I keep saying, "no it won't. He's dying.", at which point I realized it was a dream.

So, I say to my family, "I know why you are not crying! This is a dream." My little sister, Jamie, looks at me and says, "No it isn't. This is real." So, I run really quickly at these huge glass double doors (I think they were the doors to my friend's pad where I've been drinking lately) and run RIGHT through them without breaking the glass. I then step back through the glass as if it's not even there.

What happens next, I'm not sure why I chose to do this in my dream, but find it very amusing.

I look back at Jamie and say in a voice mocking her, "See. It's NOT a dream!" Then I quickly run past my younger brother, Mitchell, toward Jamie, pull my fist back, punch her right in the face, and say, "I TOLD you it IS a dream, cause in the morning, you WON'T remember that!!!" Mitchell then says to no one in particular, "DAMN!!! Wish we could do that when you're not dreaming!!! HAHAHA"

Funny as hell. Still not sure why I punched her in my dream. But it was great. I woke up laughing hysterically.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject:

I have lucid dreams all the time. Several times a week.

I do a lot of writing in my spare time and can kind of program myself to dream my way through various writing problems. Sometimes I'll even write a couple pages of something in my sleep, which is extraordinarily cool because you get into this good flow (if this has ever happened to anyone, you know what I'm talking about). I can lie there asleep and craft out the sentences and paragraphs like I'm on a computer, erase and edit them until I'm happy and then continue on. I've worked out numerous writing problems like this.

Trick is to keep a notebook next to the bed because otherwise I've got about 10 minutes before I forget about half of what I wrote. So, if I like it I will wake up and pencil it all down, then go back to sleep or start the day.

One of the most bizarre things (to me at least) is when I will be writing something that leads up to a conclusion or a punchline that just fits perfectly like someone else is telling it to me for the first time. I'll be writing a few paragraphs in my sleep leading up to this point with all the details that seem to be going somewhere, then bam...there's the punchline and it's like someone else was telling the story because it fits so well. Since it's lucid I will kind of step back for a second in the dream and wonder where the heck that came from. I just wake up at that point and shake my head.

On rare occasion, I will have a basketball dream (had a soccer one a couple days ago) that is lucid...where I know it's a dream probably because I'm dunking or doing something odd where I know it's a dream while it's going on. (For some reason I almost always know I'm dreaming in these sports dreams). Fun as hell because my team usually always wins and I manage to play like a Kobe or Magic or someone. I can sense I'm starting to wake up and will try to drag it on for a few plays until I finally snap to or it just sort of stalls out despite by best attempts.
rronald3
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

wow what werid dreams
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I have lucid dreams all the time. Several times a week.

Same here. Love that ability to jump in and out of dreams at will.

Quote:
On rare occasion, I will have a basketball dream (had a soccer one a couple days ago) that is lucid...where I know it's a dream probably because I'm dunking or doing something odd where I know it's a dream while it's going on. (For some reason I almost always know I'm dreaming in these sports dreams). Fun as hell because my team usually always wins and I manage to play like a Kobe or Magic or someone. I can sense I'm starting to wake up and will try to drag it on for a few plays until I finally snap to or it just sort of stalls out despite by best attempts.

I have the "dunking" dream all the time. And it's never just a normal dunk. You'll pull off a 360 that leaves everyone agape. All you can do is be like, "yeah. I'm awesome like that". At which point you realize it's a dream, so you start trying to throw down as many times as possible.

Feels amazingly real, too.

I also feel you on the "writing" part, though not exactly the same way as I don't write in my dreams. Usually, I'll realize it's a dream, and as if watching a movie, I'll move myself in and out of "characters" and situations within the dream. Wake up and share the dream with my younger brother as he likes to hear them all and jot them down for future reference.

Lucid dreams are the best.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject:

Didn't realize that staying in the dream and dunking the ball a few more times were considered "controlling" the dream, but I mean, obviously it is. You're in the dream and want to dunk more and do so.

There are ways to LEARN how to become a lucid dreamer. I suggest trying it out for those that are incapable at the moment. As you can see from DB's personal experience, they can really be of assistance in life. Or in my case, they can help you take out your frustrations with your little sister's nagging, 16 year old mouth.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: