Some people take little league too seriously: Jerk Coach

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Some people take little league too seriously: Jerk Coach

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/rick_reilly/08/07/reilly0814/index.html
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

I was just thinking of this.Its to much presure under the kids
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

You play to win the game. It's that simple. You walk the other team's best hitter in a situation like that, regardless whose behind him.

I don't care if it's little league. That competetive spirit has to grow somewhere and you shouldn't play easy or miss out on learning real baseball fundamentals because little timmy might get his feelings hurt.

The kid survived cancer, he can survive striking out. I hate these overly sensitive whiny parents. Find something better to do and don't expect free rides.

Last edited by Charles on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

and why have a championship game if you're not going to try to win it? Why don't we just give everyone a pizza and a 1st place trophy and call it a day?
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

You know what... it's tough but I think he did the right thing in walking the slugger. I don't see it as a case of picking on the kid. If another player were on deck and the star slugger is at bat I think they still would have walked him. If the slugger gets a hit and your team loses the championship how do you face the bunch of kids that have fought hard to get there?

I think the end of the article sums it up... the kid said he'll practice harder so that he'll be the slugger next time... good story. It's the whining of the adults that stinks up the story. Most anyone who would've struck out would have cried... that is sports... winning and losing. The kid's a winner because he decided to get up and use it to make himself better... he doesn't need adults pampering him. I'm sure he wants to be treated like any other kid... thus, his involvement in organized sports.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
You know what... it's tough but I think he did the right thing in walking the slugger. I don't see it as a case of picking on the kid. If another player were on deck and the star slugger is at bat I think they still would have walked him. If the slugger gets a hit and your team loses the championship how do you face the bunch of kids that have fought hard to get there?

I think the end of the article sums it up... the kid said he'll practice harder so that he'll be the slugger next time... good story. It's the whining of the adults that stinks up the story. Most anyone who would've struck out would have cried... that is sports... winning and losing. The kid's a winner because he decided to get up and use it to make himself better... he doesn't need adults pampering him. I'm sure he wants to be treated like any other kid... thus, his involvement in organized sports.

I agree. No matter who is behind him, if the best hitter is up at bat, you walk him. If people don't want to put their kids in these types of situations, that's up to them, but these scenarios are always gonna come up in sports, so you can't whine about it when it does. Yeah, it's a crappy situation, but that's baseball.

Yeah, the kid had the best attitude about the whole thing. It's the parents that annoy me.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

I would have walked the kid to.

Like Charles said... if the point isn't to win the game, then why have one? Call it a draw, take everyone out for pizza and 1st place trophies.

And to the parents of that kid... if you don't want your kid to experience the bitter taste of defeat in an athletic competition... then DON'T GET HIM INVOLVED.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:

'zactly. It may be a tough lesson for the kid now...but long term, it may be the BEST thing that ever happened to him. As I tell my son, it is NOT what happens to you, but how YOU deal with what happens to you.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

I agree with most posters here. Does the kid want to be singled out? Does the kid want to have everything given to him? Or does he want to be treated just like everybody else? If this is played so every kid is to take a swing at least once, how badly would the kid have felt if he were left off and not allowed to play?

The ending of the story is the best part. Go out and make sure that next time, YOU are the one who is walked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Alpha wrote:

'zactly. It may be a tough lesson for the kid now...but long term, it may be the BEST thing that ever happened to him. As I tell my son, it is NOT what happens to you, but how YOU deal with what happens to you.

Unfortunately the kids long term prospects might not be that good. He still has severe medical problems including a shunt in his brain.
Pitching to the other kids best hitter doesnt guarantee defeat either.
I can see both sides of the argument.
Also does anyone else wonder why the coach puts his best hitter in front of his weakest? That was bone headed call.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>T-mac wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Unfortunately the kids long term prospects might not be that good. He still has severe medical problems including a shunt in his brain.
Also does anyone else wonder why the coach puts his best hitter in front of his weakest? That was bone headed call.

If you want my opinion on it, I think it was by design. I think he put the cancer kid right behind his slugger thinking all along that if the situation came up, the other team wouldn't POSSIBLY pitch around the slugger to get to the kid with cancer, because they'd look like jerks. He was probably giddy when the situation came up, thinking to himself, "Brilliant! My plan worked. They'll never pitch around him. WAIT! What are they doing? They can't do that! NO!!!!"

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
thetin31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:

If you want my opinion on it, I think it was by design. I think he put the cancer kid right behind his slugger thinking all along that if the situation came up, the other team wouldn't POSSIBLY pitch around the slugger to get to the kid with cancer, because they'd look like jerks. He was probably giddy when the situation came up, thinking to himself, "Brilliant! My plan worked. They'll never pitch around him. WAIT! What are they doing? They can't do that! NO!!!!"

HAHA i did not think about that but its very possible, great insight, heh!
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
Kobe>T-mac wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Ya, great observation. So the original coach could have had a hand in setting this poor kid up.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
Kobe>T-mac wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Alpha wrote:

WORD,.. that's exactly what I said to one of my buddys and I'm no baseball expert!! The cancer kid probably made the best hitter, the best hitter by simply batting after him... LOL....

Sounds like bad managing and scour grapes to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

man...what if that kid went yard....that would have been crazy...

hopefully..he's practicing right now and next time they do the same thing...and he hits a walk off...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
man...what if that kid went yard....that would have been crazy...

hopefully..he's practicing right now and next time they do the same thing...and he hits a walk off...

If he went yard... it would be all over SportCenter and J-Mac would be a distant memory...
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

In any situation you need to focus on the situation at hand and ignore the noise.

The only important information the manager needed was here:

"At the plate is the Sox' best hitter, a kid named Jordan. On deck is the Sox' worst hitter"

Of course you walk the best hitter.
Big Money
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:

They use to walk anyone in front of me to get to me when I was in baseball. I knew I sucked, the coach knew I sucked, my dad knew I sucked. I was a double play ready to happen. But my father never (bleep) at the other team, but he (bleep) at me for sucking and made me work harder and would practice until I couldn't get up (I was a bad fielder too so he would fill tennis balls up with pennies and throw several balls quickly, so a lot of them would end up hitting me)
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm walking the kid too. It's the damn title game, and I don't really see treating the rubbish kid as being special just cuz he is rubbish and a cancer survivor is anything to necessarily be admired. He's on the team, he's a player, treat him like a player.
soccerballer16
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:

some people have no heart in this world (bleep) this makes me mad!!!!!!!!! what about u guys
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
You play to win the game. It's that simple. You walk the other team's best hitter in a situation like that, regardless whose behind him.

I don't care if it's little league. That competetive spirit has to grow somewhere and you shouldn't play easy or miss out on learning real baseball fundamentals because little timmy might get his feelings hurt.

The kid survived cancer, he can survive striking out. I hate these overly sensitive whiny parents. Find something better to do and don't expect free rides.

couldn't have said it better
joshman445
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
Charles wrote:

couldn't have said it better

totally agree...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: