Kobe Colorado Revisited
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manber34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Kobe Colorado Revisited

Is it just me or anyone else find it totally sickening that the media is sending out the message that we, the people, shouldn't jump into conclusions that John Mark Karr murdered JonBenet Ramsey?
For crying out loud, the man confessed! Yeah I know...even with the confession, they still have to tie in the evidence...

Why didn't the media give Kobe the same benefit of the doubt when he was accused??? Why? Why? Why? Cause he's black? The media and many others already accused him of being guilty even before the trial Actually, even when the case was dismissed, people are still calling him a rapist. Give me a break!! Sorry, I'm not trying make it a race thing, but this is getting really frustrating.

Btw, I'm not black...Okay, I feel better now...I just needed to vent...
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I feel your pain dude. By the way welcome to Lg.net
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Let me preface this by saying I hate using the term "the media" and trying to apply some sort of general ideology to everyone in the media. It's unfair and untrue, but it's the most convenient way to make my point.

You want to know the reason? Because the media hates having to admit that they were wrong. During the Ramsey investigation, more than a few members of the media implied in a very unsubtle way that they thought the parents had something to do with it. Not many came right out and said it, but LOTS of them thought it and hinted at it. If this guy turns out to be the killer (and I'm as skeptical as anyone that he is) then they have to admit being wrong. Anything they can do to keep from having to apologize for the sensationalism that they practice is worth it to them. It's the same reason many of them don't give Kobe a break. Because if he didn't really rape that girl, then they were wrong for throwing him under the bus as soon as they heard the accusation.

Another example: O.J. If someone came out tomorrow and confessed to being the real killer in the O.J. trial, every single one of them would question it and say that they need to wait on the evidence. They hate being wrong.
CIX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe Colorado Revisited

manber34 wrote:
Is it just me or anyone else find it totally sickening that the media is sending out the message that we, the people, shouldn't jump into conclusions that John Mark Karr murdered JonBenet Ramsey?
For crying out loud, the man confessed! Yeah I know...even with the confession, they still have to tie in the evidence...

Why didn't the media give Kobe the same benefit of the doubt when he was accused??? Why? Why? Why? Cause he's black? The media and many others already accused him of being guilty even before the trial Actually, even when the case was dismissed, people are still calling him a rapist. Give me a break!! Sorry, I'm not trying make it a race thing, but this is getting really frustrating.

We are still torn by race...and the perception of ungreatful athlete's
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:

If there is speculation involved, the media always sides on whichever side will make them the most money. That means ratings, in some cases it might mean race, it means sensationalism.

There are very few journalists left. Sad because the media plays a critical role in helping to maintain our freedoms...but now it seems they are more focussed on maintaining high ratings.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

People have opinions. You cannot make them believe what you believe.

BTW, I'n not white, just venting
fadeaway8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

It was during a time when news was slow, 911/bin laden/terrorist news were dying off and they needed something to keep people watching the news. Kobe, being clean cut role model and superstar athlete, shocked everyone with the colorado incident. Incidents like this is a gold mine for the media, they would have contents for weeks and months. Their product is the news, and they will deliver the bias content in the way that keeps people watching, simple as that.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
If there is speculation involved, the media always sides on whichever side will make them the most money. That means ratings, in some cases it might mean race, it means sensationalism.

There are very few journalists left. Sad because the media plays a critical role in helping to maintain our freedoms...but now it seems they are more focussed on maintaining high ratings.
InTheRefrigerator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately it's apparent up front that the guy is an attention seeking crackpot.

Also the Duke Lacrosse team got the same treatment Kobe did, and the colors were reversed. Sorry, can't go there with you on this one.
jjigga3000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Let me preface this by saying I hate using the term "the media" and trying to apply some sort of general ideology to everyone in the media. It's unfair and untrue, but it's the most convenient way to make my point.

You want to know the reason? Because the media hates having to admit that they were wrong. During the Ramsey investigation, more than a few members of the media implied in a very unsubtle way that they thought the parents had something to do with it. Not many came right out and said it, but LOTS of them thought it and hinted at it. If this guy turns out to be the killer (and I'm as skeptical as anyone that he is) then they have to admit being wrong. Anything they can do to keep from having to apologize for the sensationalism that they practice is worth it to them. It's the same reason many of them don't give Kobe a break. Because if he didn't really rape that girl, then they were wrong for throwing him under the bus as soon as they heard the accusation.

Another example: O.J. If someone came out tomorrow and confessed to being the real killer in the O.J. trial, every single one of them would question it and say that they need to wait on the evidence. They hate being wrong.
Enough said.
jjigga3000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe Colorado Revisited

CIX wrote:
manber34 wrote:

We are still torn by race...and the perception of ungreatful athlete's
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

The problem: $$$$$$

Sensationalism sells. People pay attention whether tv, magazine, newspapers, internet blogs, etc..... More people paying attention = advertisement space selling.

It has always been that way and always will.

In the cases of Kobe, OJ and the Duke LaCrosse team:

Whether Black or White - nothing perks up the ears like spoiled, rich athletes doing wrong. That's why athletes who do a lot of social work only get spots while their particular league is promoting something while those who break the law or are arrested for it at least get front line coverage.

The only thing that gets bigger ratings is war and political scandals.

Above is the reason I limit my television watching to sports, cartoons, movies and your mom (j/k).

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
jjigga3000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Allthough Kobe and the Rape case was a racial situation. The media covering it had nothing to do with race. They are just some sadistic mofos, end of story. The media loves to raise people up to tear them down. The build idols to worship only to be able to destroy them. Look at Elvis, Micheal Jackson, OJ, Kobe. Muhamid Ali was the only person they reversed their opinion on. They don't care wether you be black or white, all they want is your attention on their channel.

If you notice each network has a different angle they think the other one has, when it's all being controlled by the government. There is a possiblility that this guy did the murder. He was in Bankok, a known place for pedophiles, because of the sex trade that the country turns their back to. The guy looks like he obviously can't get none from a grown women so he gets if from little girls. Sick Bastard.

But I think the interesting thing is that he faces a criminal charge in Bankok, He don't want to be in jail in Bankok. As hard as our prison's in America are. I think any prisoner in the world would choose American prisons over any other prison in the world. Plus this dude knows if he goes to jail in America, he aint getting thrown in gen pop. Cause he'd be dead before he got to his cell.
soccerballer16
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

i know kobe didnt do it hahaha a little late but hahalol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject:

jjigga3000 wrote:
The media covering it had nothing to do with race.

Excuse me but WTF?! It had nothing to do with race?! Yeah right you really think a story like this would've gotten as much play had she been black? Or if Kobe were white? No it wouldn't have period. If that's not a good enough example for you how about the Duke Lacrosse Rape case.

The accusers are black and the accused are white. The media has been real sympathetic and dare I say protective over the accused. While the accuser are considered " less reputable". Granted from what has come out that's not so surprising but even the accuser in the Kobe case wasn't portrayed that badly and so many advocates came to her defense despite how laughable the case was.

Where are all the rape victim advocates for these black women who claimed rape by these white men?

Yeah I thought so... funny how nobody in the media is acknowledging this one.

Yeah the media likes to see a story about a celeb experiencing a fall from grace but they also love the added bonus of pouring it on if the said person is black.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:

InTheRefrigerator wrote:
Unfortunately it's apparent up front that the guy is an attention seeking crackpot.

Also the Duke Lacrosse team got the same treatment Kobe did, and the colors were reversed. Sorry, can't go there with you on this one.

Not really many rape victim advocates not to mention a lot of media pundits lambasted Kobe I haven't really heard that much criticism by the Duke Lacrosse team. I did find it interesting that if it turned out that these women were lying "Shame on Them".

Funny how that was never mentioned at all in the Kobe case.
InTheRefrigerator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Well that may be West coast bias (for once).

Every article I've read has been pretty critical of the team, the town and the school's delayed reaction to the situtation.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan, it's appauling that when more evidences showed that Faber made false accusations, the media got even more protective about her. They simply didn't want to admit that Faber the white accuser might lie and Hulbert filed the charge for political gains.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:

InTheRefrigerator wrote:

Every article I've read has been pretty critical of the team, the town and the school's delayed reaction to the situtation.

I live in the Midwest go figure.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject:

tw-lakbfan wrote:
Basketball Fan, it's appauling that when more evidences showed that Faber made false accusations, the media got even more protective about her. They simply didn't want to admit that Faber the white accuser might lie and Hulbert filed the charge for political gains.

If the races were revesred they would've but the fact of the matter is like someone else said the bigger story is that Kobe would be "guilty" not that he could actually be set up.

You know show the real atrocities of our justice system so someone else won't suffer the same fate but hey that's not important is it...
InTheRefrigerator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
InTheRefrigerator wrote:

Really? Hmmm. That is a bit surprising that it would be unbalanced given the lack of any ties either way.
ImprovidusLiberum
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:

It blows me away to read some of these posts. Sometimes you need to read beyond the one headline you happen to see before you form an opinion. C'mon folks, nothing is ever as straight forward as it seems. If you look hard enough at the surface of anything you can make it about race, but you need to look a little deeper if you're going to come and claim racism. Comparing the John Mark Karr, Kobe Bryant, and the Duke Lacrosse team situations ain't the same freakin ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same freakin sport.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject:

InTheRefrigerator wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
InTheRefrigerator wrote:

Really? Hmmm. That is a bit surprising that it would be unbalanced given the lack of any ties either way.

Not really most of the Midwest well namely Indiana would take the side of a white man/woman over a colored one.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject:

The media is ALL ABOUT $$$$$!!!

If you don't want them to behave this way, then quit buying and vote the opposite of what they say you should!!!

Here is how democracy works, vote your pocketbook and then accept that majority rules!!

The problem with just about everything in this country is that everyone is misinformed, they are being manipulated by the media and the government.

They want you to vote your conscience and they want to manipulate your conscience!!

Vote your pocketbook, majority rules, accept the majority and quit paying attention to media outlets that are trying to manipulate and pursuade you!!
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:

The reason is that murder is a different type of crime. There are a number of false confessions that occur. You don't hear of very many false confessions to rape.

There are a number of people who lie to get the attention. That's not the same as rape.

Don't get me wrong, Kobe was suckered by that girl. She did everything she could to get him to bed her, but then she freaked out for unknown reasons.

End of story.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: