Microsoft's answer to the iPod
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Microsoft's answer to the iPod

A few features I gathered in the article:
- can download music (and transfer pictures) wirelessly
- fm tuner
- 30 gigs
- can stream your music to 4 other mp3 players
- screen is about two-thirds the size of the face

They hope to release them by the holiday season.

Quote:
Toshiba to build Microsoft challenge to iPod MP3 players

by Glenn Chapman 1 hour, 49 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - Microsoft's challenge to Apple's reigning iPod MP3 players will be built by Toshiba and allow people to "DJ" by wirelessly sharing music, US regulatory agency filings showed.

Plans submitted to the Federal Communications Commission by Japanese electronics giant Toshiba provided a glimpse at the workings of an MP3 player designed by Microsoft Corporation based in Redmond, Washington.

The device was referred to in the filing by the code name "Pyxis."

Microsoft has vowed to release a "Zune" MP3 player and matching online music and video store in time for the year-end holiday shopping season.

"I can confirm that Toshiba is manufacturing the device and that the FCC report is legitimate," a Microsoft spokeswoman told AFP, "but no further details."

The Microsoft MP3 player would tune in to FM radio as well as enable users to transfer video, pictures and music files between personal computers and the handheld devices...

More in LINK

What do you guys think? Contender or pretender?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Yeah this is the answer to ipod like vista is the answer to tiger.

Microsofts mp3 player will look laughable once apple drops the touch screen ipod. Just like the 360 will look like a joke when ps3 comes out. Just like vista is already a joke.

Those cats are hardly on the cutting edge.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:

Microsofts mp3 player will look laughable once apple drops the touch screen ipod. Just like the 360 will look like a joke when ps3 comes out. Just like vista is already a joke.

Those cats are hardly on the cutting edge.

actually xbox 360 is really good, i'de be the first too tell u if it wasnt, ive owned snes ,n64,xbox and now xbox 360. Heard about this already, well some rumors and new it was coming. Similar too what microsoft did the the gaming market, sony had a trangle hold on it, and microsoft has all but broke that up now. But it will take another big effort too even compete with apple, forget toppling them now. The touchscreen ipod , maybe something special IMO, cant wait for it too release.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:

IPOD will blow the competition away when they come out with their cell-phone IPOD.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

say goodbye to CD's as we know it.... everything else will be a wireless downloads from your comp, peers, work, grandma etc....
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

If they wanna compete, lower the price. If not, im sticking with my ipod.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
say goodbye to CD's as we know it.... everything else will be a wireless downloads from your comp, peers, work, grandma etc....

I disagree.

I still buy a lot of CDs.....I have an ipod, but I rip my CDs....I just like having the CD disc and have enough income where I can afford spending 10-12 bucks for music.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
If they wanna compete, lower the price. If not, im sticking with my ipod.

Yeah, they're going to have to lower the price to pry consumers away from the iPods. But the article did say that they're going to be targeting consumers who are looking for alternatives to iPods. However with iPods controlling 75% of the market, that doesn't leave a whole lot of demand out there. Microsoft might be banking on their wireless technology to justify the price, but I don't think that will be enough.

They'll need a user-interface that's as easy to use as the iPods, and a sleek, sexy design that draws your attention. They've really got their work cut out for them. They just waited too long and they have a lot of ground to make up while the iPods are rolling full steam ahead. Toshiba creates quality products though, so I'm curious to see what they have in store.
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: <long.. sorry>

I recently worked on a marketing campaign for a "pretender" that wants to get it on some of the action. Unfortunately after doing the initial discovery on the market it's safe to say Ipod will stay king for awhile to come.

Here's some interesting 411 I picked up from R&D that pertains to Zune and how sick Apple has the market on lockdown.
1. Wifi sharing units aren't exactly new.. mp3 player companies have tried it or may come out w/one. Sharing files via wifi is currently possible on some pocket pcs but none I would consider a "true" player.

2. Accessories - most major retail stores have a section entirely devoted to Ipod add-ons. This means that any product that is suppose to give Ipod a run for their money will need to have after-market products ready from the get go. This is rare since most accessories don't get made until sometime after the initial release of the product.

3. Any new product that is dubbed an "iPod killer" will have to have some sort of gimmick that Apple themselves can't add on if the trend becomes big. Wifi Ipod> MS Zune

4. iTunes - from the numbers I saw and reports I read.. this maybe the biggest Zune killer of them all. People love iTunes. High marks for user-ability.. buy, burn, play, transfer all with ease. iTunes has allowed Apple to corner the online music buying market. Only limewire comes close in music downloads and that's just stealing stuff. Which leads to...

5. DRM- Digital Rights Management. When you buy a song from iTunes you also purchase their DRM called Fairplay which gives you your right to put it on your ipod, burn it from itunes, and what have you. Apple can sell their DRM to other mp3 player companies to let other products run the songs you bought. BUT, they probably won't. Rumor is Zune will have it's own DRM so compatibility between the two is non-existant. Thus, Zune will have to have it's own iTunes. So now it's more than just making a better mouse trap.

When Apple came out w/ the iPod, it's success wasn't an accident. It was a war plan to take over...just like Microsoft's "embrace, extend, extinguish" business strats.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:

word xtn. very interesting stuff.

basically microsoft would have to come out with something so revolutionary that people would question why they shouldn't buy an ipod. they have proven lately to be way behind in terms of technology and features...especially when it comes to apple.

i don't think the boys at cuppertino have anyhing to worry about.
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

A lot of you are underestimating Microsoft when ever they introduced something new. When DOS came out, everyone was laughing becase Xerox and Apple had a GIU OS already. Looks like Microsoft is laughing now. Then when Win95 comes out with a cheesy GUI, everyone said it's still DOS. When NT came out, people were asking why NT when Unix is so good. Then when the Linux came out, people where predicting the demise of Windows, "who can beat a free Linux OS", right? Can't get any cheaper than free! As we can see today 15 years after Linux hit the market, it's still a novelty OS. Then when MS entered the console gaming industry, people again laughed, "ha! I have my PS". Well guess what, MS is taking a bite out of Sony and you can bet Sony execs are feeling the pinch! MS is also now making heavy entry into the BI (business intelligence) software industry, an guess what, most observer predict that they will succeed too and you can bet the other BI players are starting to sweat too.

Right now I'm hearing the same fanboys (iPod fanboys) already passing judgement, disregarding the marketing power behind MS. MS is not a dumb company! They let the likes of Sony and Apple do their marketing research for them. MS decided to follow Sony's PS and Apple's iPod after MS has seen the success and acceptance of these toys. MS doesn't risk rersearching money, no need for taking risk on a product, when you already seen what consumers want. You guys say Apple has a 75% hold on the iPod market, but you forget that buyers of iPod can be persuaded to buy alternaives, and it's no that hard persuading some of that 75% to jump ship either. MS doesn't need to "lead" the MP3 market, they only need to slow chunking away Apple's share and that would be enough to make Apple investors not happy. To discount MS is a foolish decision.

So you can bet Steve Jobs and the Apple are sweating. Thing is, Apple is basically a one and a half trick pony. They have the iPod and their miniscule Mac base, but IMO the iPod is more like a trendy toy, which leaves Apple vulnerable to the next toy that comes along. Oh touch screen iPod? And Toshiba can't produce this technology? MS was no fool
when they teamed up with Toshiba for consumer electronics.

The only time that I can think that MS has failed miserably was when they bought out WebTV for $400 million. I do'nt think MS had much intetntion for WebTV other than to buy it out and kill it, and at $400 million even back then, it was chump change for a co. like MS.

And I would not discount Vista either. OEM PC makers will have no choice but to load Vista. I don't see Dell and HP start loading Mac OS or Linux on their machines anytime soon. Fanboys' doom and gloom, heard it before. I'm willing to bet in a couple years, most PC users will be runnning Vista whether they like it or not. If you don't like Vista, well there's Mac and Linux. Each OS has their strong point and weak points, but it's just ignorant to bash one OS over another.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

gotta disagree with you on several points skumbag.

the ipod as a novelty toy? have you been sleeping under a rock? it changed the music business completely. that's not a novelty that's a breakthrough. and their hold on the market is not going to change because microsoft comes out with some second rate player.

all you have to do is track operating systems throughout the years. while microsoft struggles for about a decade to get their OS off the ground, delaying it and delaying it, they will eventually release an OS that is a shallow copy of Mac OSX Tiger, that has literally all the same features, and takes so much juice most PCs right now won't even be able to run it. not to mention there are still viruses for it. simply its an inferior product.

as for the console world...microsoft put out a bigger, stronger, faster, sharper system than ps2 and still trailed by a mile. the 360 was released prematurely and while it is a fine system, it's plagued with problems already. not to mention how much they bungled the release by not shipping enough units while the demand was hot. now the demand is low. ps3 will be a far superior machine and people will forget all about 360 when it comes out.

im sure the zune will have some nice features but will it be enough to lure people away from ipod? the answer is no. apple has stayed a step ahead of microsoft the last few years without question. apple's next ipod will be far better than whatever microsoft can come up with. plus, is microsoft going to offer a music store with the most licensed music library on the planet that seamlessly integrates with its product the way itunes does? microsoft is joining the party way, way too late to make an impact.

lastly, now that the next mac OS is going to be shipped with the boot camp software...why would anyone buy a PC? you can run both mac and windows on the same macine, have all the benefits of apple and have windows right there should you need to use it for something not on mac.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:

Although, Apple has a new operating system coming out next year. So really Vista and Windows are still behind.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

he_is_the_one wrote:
da ocho wrote:

Although, Apple has a new operating system coming out next year. So really Vista and Windows are still behind.

i was being sarcastic. tiger was released last year. vista will be released god knows when. vista is basically tiger with a start button. it's a carbon copy. all the innovations are lifted. and the joke is by the time they release it apple will already be coming out with leopard which will be far superior once again.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

^True. Wasn't Microsoft suppossed to release Vista in like 2003? Now it's coming out sometime in '07. From what I've heard they are actually on schedule
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I could care less about MAC and MiCr. Personally, I own an Ipod, and other Mp3 players. I use a toshiba laptop with xp on it. Im not huggin anyones nuts and saying "my daddy's car is better". What for? Instead, I encourage the competition. It only means CHEAPY CHEAPY for consumers.

By the way, Apples got it down right with their marketing department. Even their packagin is eye candy....It helps a lot for the superficial wannabes.
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

"Nerd talk overload ... tech terms overload ... overload ... error ... error ... err-or ... err ... or ... "

::: collapses to the ground, sparks and smoke comes out of ears :::
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Apple is so far ahead it not even funny
rracer99
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Apple's success was soley due to their habit of having a 100% managed vertical market for music (IPOD/ITUNES). This allowed for a clean marketing message and 0 confusion for new adopters.

Microsoft has always used a "partner" approach, and while this works for many other technologies, a consumer electronics device is not one of them. Microsoft finally understands a 100% Microsoft operated vertical for this type of product is necessary (they learned from the XBOX project which has GREATLY exceeded their expectations). Microsoft will similarily start to see great gains that were not possible these last several years (when partners implemented the technology - the various music stores and various devices produced by various companies).

The "Zune" push will not overtake IPOD immediately, but it will accomplish what Microsoft wants, a foot-hold for further developments. It may take 2 or 3 product GENERATIONS, but I can assure you IPOD market share will be eroded significantly overtime.

Microsoft has an overall strategy that this project fits in. Overtime, competition will have a hard time dealing with all the angles. For example, The OS, XBOX, Mobile-OS, Entertainment OS, Portable video/audio player development will converge in a very powerful way in the upcoming years. The synergies between these components will be difficult to compete with.

Unless Apple suddenly increases their OS marketshare by a massive amount, and creates leading platforms for all technology platforms out of thin air, IPOD will just be a successful consumer electronic device with a heavily trimmed market share overtime.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject:

rracer- not saying ipod is bulletproof.

there was a time when sony's walkman dominated the market. apple took it over by coming up with a product that was revolutionary. when a company has a stranglehold on the market like that it takes a truly innovative product to overcome it. zune is not that. it's not even close. if microsoft was to come out with a totally new product that blew ipod out of the water (the same way ipod pwned walkman) then it would be a different story. as of now i'm not impressed.
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:

lastly, now that the next mac OS is going to be shipped with the boot camp software...why would anyone buy a PC? you can run both mac and windows on the same macine, have all the benefits of apple and have windows right there should you need to use it for something not on mac.

I can dual boot Linux and Windows and run Linux totaly free. Why whould I even want to bother paying for an expensive Mac?

And how about gamers who goes through an upgrade bout once every 6 months? Can you do this with a Mac? and at what cost?

You forget that throughout the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s, other OS makers, eg, Xerox, IBM, AT&T, Apple, have always had the SUPERIOR products over Microsoft. So tell me, why did those pretty much gone the was of the dinosaure saves for some niched market?

Personally I think you're a bit too Apple biased. On the one hand, you brush off MS' challenge to the iPod as if MS is paperweight, yet on the other hand, you ask question like as if you've total confident that the next Mac OS would dethrone the Windows platform. However, I'm willing to bet MS will take a bigger bite out of the iPod market than Appple will with the Windows market. Apple had their shot at the Windows platform in 1989 they completely blew it with their one-track vertical integration mentality. I don't see them mounting any serious challenge to the Windows platform. If the FREEBIE Linux didn't make a dent in Windows, what makes you think the expensive Mac proposition would? I absolutely do not see big corporates dumping MS in favor for Macs. They didn't dump Windows for Linux, and they certainly not gonna do it for Mac either. If you're a divisional IT Manager, are you willing to risk your job by embracing Macs? or are you just gonna do with MS? Hell no would I risk my job!!
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject:

I believe businesses will continue to take the so call cheap way out and use MS, but more consumers will be moving over to mac.
Star
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
rracer- not saying ipod is bulletproof.
. as of now i'm not impressed.

Not saying that the MS player is going to beat the Ipod (but I would never underestimate the MS machine) but I think you nailed it on the head. Why don't we all just wait to see what MS is really doing before we declare a winner or a loser.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
I believe businesses will continue to take the so call cheap way out and use MS, but more consumers will be moving over to mac.

Based on what?

Because you want it to be true?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

jd- consumer mac purchases have been growing steadily the last few years. and 50% of their purchases last year were people new to mac.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: