iTunes Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caron1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: iTunes Help

Quick question for anyone familiar with iTunes and Mac OS X. Ive been using a Dell PC for a while but recently got a Mac Book Pro. I have around 2500 songs on my iTunes playlist on the Dell, and want to transfer them to the blank library on the new laptop. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:

its possible but my question to you is this.. are they mp3 files or are they music you bought from itunes? because if you bought it from iTunes just make sure when you install the iTunes program in your mac that you use the same name and password that you use on your dell. I think you are allowed to transfer up to 5 computers.. ie: Share If they are mp3.. just burn them into a disc and cut and paste it into your music folder in the mac.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:

I know that there is a way because I've done it.
Look on iTunes Help

Good Luck
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Go to Best Buy or Fry's Electronics and ask one of those tech nerds from their computer department. Those freaks will enlighten you.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
Caron1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

They are mostly mp3 and m4a, with a few purchased from iTunes (videos). Unfortunately I have to do this tomorrow, because I have a flight on Monday and wanted my library on my laptop, because I wont have access to this PC for a while.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

I'm getting a Macbook next week, and I've gotta do the same thing but I've done this before, I just burn my music onto disk and transfer my music onto the hard drive and add them to my library.
they-perch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

this is what i've done in the past, it usually works for me. im no computer exspert but this i'll try, maybe google it and youll find a better answer.

1. locate all of your music files, usually ones you download from itunes or burn onto itunes are in the same location. others that you download from friends, over aim, or online might be saved in other places. if you go onto your library you can right click a song and click "show file" and itll show you where they are.

2. connect your ipod to your computer. it'll say something about recognizing a hardrive. either way go onto my computer and open up your ipod but as a hardware device.

3. pretty much all you have to do is find all of your songs, select them. usually its in one single file (titled itunes music or something of the sort). so you merely have to copy and paste that file onto your ipod. it might label it something different but usually it will say something about a ipod, drive who knows. either way when you paste it into the ipod it will probably take a few minutes depending on how many songs you have. it took me about 12 minutes for them to fully transfer as it does them one by one.

4. you might have to search for other songs in other places, whereever you download them to. songs over aim, and songs downloaded from the internet might be in entirely seperate files.

5. go to your laptop, or whatever new computer you are transfering your library to and connect your ipod. once you do that you can open up your ipod on my computer. once you do that you find the file you have the songs saved under (save them under one to make things simple). then merely copy and paste that file onto the computer's hardrive. once you do that you go onto your itunes library and if i remember correctly you go to File, then "add folder to library" find the folder on your computer and then merely open it up. it might take a few minutes to transfer them all. also be aware that when you update your ipod off of your new computer it might ask you some very important questions, which if you dont pay attention to you might end up erasing everything on your ipod. so be careful.

hopefully this works. im no expert as i said but this has worked for me a few times. this is the same basic thing i've used to store normal files, like picture files when i was out of the country and didnt have access to my computer. I went to a foreign computer to my own, such as an internet cafe and just loaded them onto the computer, then my ipod, and deleted them off of the computer. my camera was empty and i could take more pictures while saving my previously taken ones for when i got home.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

F Snaq wrote:
Go to Best Buy or Fry's Electronics and ask one of those tech nerds from their computer department. Those freaks will enlighten you.

This might be the worst advice in history.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: