Universal to offer entire music catalog free for music downloads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Universal to offer entire music catalog free for music downloads

This may be old news to people who live, breathe, and eat with their ipods, but I wasn't sure. I'm too cheap to buy one, and just stream all of my music.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5294842.stm
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

Depending on how this works, it is really good news. I was excited when I read that this morning.

I am curious what type of advertising they will do. I just hope it is not pop ups. I can deal with audio commercials. Or pics posted everywhere. I don't mind that. I just hate spyware and pop ups.

It also stated (the report I read, at least. I did not click the link above) that the music downloaded would not be able to be burned to a CD, and to be able to play it, a user must visit the site every month. If so, I can live with it, cause it allows for one transfer (supposedly to your MP3 player). I play my music either on my own laptop or my MP3 player. For long car drives, I like taking my laptop anyways. I never really burn any audio CDs anymore anyways.

As for visiting every month, if I can get free music, I will certainly be there every month anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I dunno, this looks like a classic cluster-(bleep) to me. This is a fat cat label that hates losing sales power to Apple and is trying to take it back without understanding why the hell Apple out-competed them to begin with.

1) It's only one of the major labels. It's annoying to have to go to multiple locations for music - the great thing abotu iTunes is it has such a large catalog from all the major labels.

2) Models where you're given digital media over the internet but are restricted in how you can use that media just don't seem to work. It's been proven multiple times with various mobile video devices and the crazy licenses and restrictions the studios have tried to put around them. If it's mine, why the hell can't I burn this to a CD if I want to? Why can't I place a copy on my network at home so I can access it from my laptop in the living room, or the desktop in my bedroom? What if I delete it from my iPod by accident - I need to go sift through adds again to get a new copy? And what kind of funky DRM are they going to have to place on this file to get it to be that way? It may sound picky, but for a generation that has grown up getting what it wants, when it wants and how it wants it from the Internet, that's what I'm accustomed to.

3) When you talk about myspace (as the article does) or iTunes, you're talking about big-time communities. Even Amazon as the number one physical CD retailer has tremendous community. Hell, things like Napster, Kazaa, and Bittorrent are also community based. Those communities are a big factor in the success of each of those services and it's going to be pretty challenging for a group managing only Vivendi's catalog to build community, especially when you've got really strong ones that already exist out there.

Don't get me wrong, I'll try it out, free music is free music. But basically, if I can't do what I want with the music files, I'd rather pay for the stuff I get on iTunes or just get stuff through newsgroups, bittorent and community sites.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: