Tony Mejia's Positional Rankings: Center
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kwame did have a decent season, and I was all for the trade when it was made, and still am. But Kwame's biggest weakness is the wind blowing between his ears. Last season is proof that stats can be misleading. Odom averages close to 10 rebounds a game because he grabs close to 10 rebounds most games. I wouldn't call it rebounding the ball well when a 7-footer only grabs 3 or 4 rebounds in a game. If he can be consistent, then I will get excited.

He was consistent at C.

You cannot call that consistent. There is no way in hell, barring foul trouble or injury, that Kwame should only pull down 2, 3, and 5 rebounds in a game. Yet that is exactly what he did in the playoffs, against a small Suns team. Even during the last three months of the season, when Kwame was supposedly emerging, he had multiple rebound games of 2, 3 and 5. That cannot be called consistent.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:

Mihm is a decent C, but I don't get why anyone would think 10/6.2 with weaker man defense, is better than 13/8 with superb man defense. chris is a better shot blocker and has more low post moves he uses, but that really means nothing when he can't stay on the court. I mean, does it really matter if he has the potential to score when he's just sitting on the bench?

To be fair to Mihm, those numbers are through the final 8 games of the season. You can find streches of 8 games where Mihm put up the same numbers.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
jminges wrote:
Lakers didn't trade for Kwame Brown to play center.

Yet, Phil told him to just stay in shape and come into camp "big".

Phil had 3 Centers in Chicago too, BTW.

Phil told him to work on his PF skills and to come into camp with a mindset of playing big, as in 15/10 per night. He'll definitely be our starting C, no doubt about it, but they'll be working on trying to get him more comfortable at PF, as well, with the long term hope that he'll be our solution at PF.

I know Phil had 3 Cs in Chicago and that's a nice luxury to have, but you can't really expect the Lakers to pay Kwame 8-9 mill per year to back up Andrew at C. That's not realistic in the long term.

I'm guessing that the Lakers are going to try Mihm at C and Kwame at PF to start the season (though I do prefer Kwame at C at this point), just to see how Kwame's off-season work has translated to the game.

Jam I was talking about 2005, when he came here as a RFA. This summer, I don't know whether Phil told him he would play at PF - because he asked Mihm whether he liked playing on the wing instead of asking Kwame that. I'm guessing Phil was impying that Mihm would be playing more PF.

Kwame he told, 15-10 and stay in shape. Kwame said he thinks he may be playing PF so he won't make the same mistake twice (assuming they play him at C). Last summer Kwame thought he would be playing C. That is why there was confusion.

I think it would be a mistake to ask Kwame to start at PF again. Big one. Even if Kwame works on his jumper, it will take him some time before he really understands how to be a PF. I would slowly gear him for that by the time Andrew is ready to start. For now, I go with Kwame/Odom/Radmanovic for the most part, and Mihm/Kwame/Odom against the bigger teams.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I think Mihm is underrated. He is a 10 point, 7 rebound, 1.5 block guy when he's healthy. He has actually outplayed Camby on numerous occasions and plays dead even with Kaman if you look at the numbers. Think about it: Do you ever really think that Kaman is going to do anything special against us when we play them? Mihm and Kwame are both average starting centers. Bynum must be a slightly better version of Kaman (Mutombo in his prime) for us to be a title team.

Chris is under-rated by many, that's a fair statement, but that's only when he's on the court. He's been here a few years now and still can't stay on the court due to foul trouble. That cannot be ignored by only paying to his effectiveness when he's on the court. You have to look at all of it.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
...when he came here as a RFA...
Who came as an RFA in 2005, Kwame? That was a S&T!
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kwame did have a decent season, and I was all for the trade when it was made, and still am. But Kwame's biggest weakness is the wind blowing between his ears. Last season is proof that stats can be misleading. Odom averages close to 10 rebounds a game because he grabs close to 10 rebounds most games. I wouldn't call it rebounding the ball well when a 7-footer only grabs 3 or 4 rebounds in a game. If he can be consistent, then I will get excited.

He was consistent at C.

You cannot call that consistent. There is no way in hell, barring foul trouble or injury, that Kwame should only pull down 2, 3, and 5 rebounds in a game. Yet that is exactly what he did in the playoffs, against a small Suns team. Even during the last three months of the season, when Kwame was supposedly emerging, he had multiple rebound games of 2, 3 and 5. That cannot be called consistent.

I wonder if being accused of rape might have had anything to do with that. In any event, here are his scoring and rebounding numbers over the last 25 games, including the playoffs:

8/5
17/9
12/10
13/11
12/2
14/6
19/8
10/7
20/9
15/15
9/8
4/6
15/13
10/3
12/13
9/10
17/6
16/9
21/12
11/9
8/5
5/4
13/9
10/8

Now he clearly had some sub-par games, but he was pretty darn reliable in having a strong impact most games - and he did it shooting 58% from the field. You can choose to select the ones that make him look bad - that's your perogative, but I'm looking at his overall production and it was clear that he was emerging as a presence, up from his initial 7/5+. You honestly can't even give him props for what is clearly dramatic improvement?

Personally, I see that Kwame came on strong. You don't see it that way. Clearly, we're going to disagree and that's okay.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

^
Which is why, as a starting Center - Kwame getting 10+ points and 7 boards is very realistic.

I know Mihm is capable of just as good numbers, but he is better off the bench where he can come off and be aggressive with his shotblocking. As a reserve, Chris wouldn't have to worry about fouling out.

I am actually suprised more people don't see the advantage of Chris coming off the bench. You could tell him to go buck wild in being an anchor inside for 16-20 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:

nice to see some1 giving Dwight Howard some credit, that dude's got MVP written all over him in 3-4 years.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He was consistent at C.

Personally, I see that Kwame came on strong. You don't see it that way. Clearly, we're going to disagree and that's okay.

I agree he came on strong, but still need to see more consistency out of him.
jbjb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject:

Tony Mejia Ranks Centers on their PLAYOFF performance
cbs sportsline

1. Shaquille O'Neal, MIA
2. Nenad Krstic, NJ
3. Marcus Camby, DEN
4. Ben Wallace, DET
5. Chris Kaman, LAC
6. Kwame Brown, LAL
7. Zydrunas Ilgauskas, CLE
8. Erick Dampier, DAL
9. Andrew Bogut, MIL (Rookie)
10. Brad Miller, SAC
11. Jamaal Magloire, MIL
12. Brendan Haywood, WAS
13. DeSagana Diop, DAL
14. Lorenzen Wright, MEM
15. Nazr Mohammed, SA
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: