@%&#!!! Setting up network printer!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: @%&#!!! Setting up network printer!!!

I have 2 machines. 1 running Windows XP and has an HP 1510v printer attached with USB cable. The computer is hooked up to the Internet through a Linksys router. My kids' computer is running Windows 2000.

I've been trying for 3 hours now to get the printer to work with the kids' computer, but every time I try to select "Share" on the printer setup screen, I get the error "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed."

I've uninstalled, reinstalled the damn thing numerous times. I've tried reinstalling the drivers... but nothing lets me set this damn printer up for network printing.

Am I just screwed?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:

JD-

Apple's AirPort system allows you to effortlessly add a wireless network printer as well as the ability to play your itunes music wirelessly through your home stereo...all while providing high speed wireless internet to all the computers in your house!
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Does the error message say anything else? Have you tried the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base ( http://support.microsoft.com/search/ )?

I don't have any experience with this particular problem, but when I typed in your error message, here's one of the results that came up:

Quote:

SYMPTOMS
When you check the properties of a shared printer by using the Printers folder, you may get the following error message after you click OK, even without making any changes:

Printer setting could not Be saved. Data area passed to a system call is too small.
122L Error_insufficiant_Buffer

You may also find that this shared printer does not appear in the shared resources list when you click Shares in the Server tool in Control Panel, or when you do a net view command.

Also, Network clients will not be able to see the printer when trying to browse and connect to it.

CAUSE
This error can occur if the specific printer's share on the print server becomes corrupted.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, click Settings, and then click Printers.
2. Right-click the problem printer, and then click Sharing.
3. Write down the share name of the printer.
4. Stop sharing this printer by clicking the Not Shared radio button, and then close the printer folder.
5. Open Control Panel, double-click Services, select the Spooler Service, click Stop, and then click Start.
6. After the Spooler Service restarts, open the printer folder and re-create the printer share using the share name found in step 3. Do this by clicking Start, clicking Settings, and then clicking Printers. Right-click the problem printer, and then click Sharing. Click the Shared radio button, and then share the printer with the same name as before.

MORE INFORMATION
The above steps are a workaround that should eliminate the error message received when viewing the printer's properties and also enable the printer to again be seen on the network.

This exact cause of the share corruption is not known at this time.

LINK

This may not be the same problem you're having, but if you give it more information (just copy and paste the entire error message into the search box), you might find something you can use.

Last edited by Wolverine on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I just gave Steve Jobs a reach around!

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
ocho wrote:

I'm suing for libel!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
uberzev wrote:
ocho wrote:

I don't know who liked it more, him or me.

Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Do you have the printer set up to share on the XP system? If you do, all you need to do on the 2000 system is set up a network to use the printer that is being shared. I believe that's how you do it.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Make sure you are logged as administrator or your log is in the administrator group.

My advice is upgrade the OS from 2000 to XP home. I seen it for $50. A Pentium 3 with 512 mb ram will run it just fine.

I recently bought a Dell Laptop and set it up wireless to my desktop. This was pretty easy. I made my desktop printer in share mode and my laptop installed my printer on it's on. The printer is 8 years old.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject:

All the networking, as far as I can tell is all set up. I can see the network on the other machine, I just can't see the dang printer. I finally got the printer set to share, which was an adventure in itself... just can't see it.

I wish I could run XP on the kids' computer, but its OLD. Pentium II, with 256 MB RAM.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Here you go JD:

Quote:
To connect to a network printer, you also use the Add Printer Wizard from the Printers folder. Simply follow these steps:

1. Log on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group.

2. Click Start|Printers And Faxes to open the Printers And Faxes window.

3. Click the Add A Printer link from the Printer Tasks pane. The Add Printer Wizard appears. Click Next to continue.

4. Click the option button labeled A Network Printer, Or A Printer Attached To Another Computer.

5. Click Next.

6. Follow one of these options:

Select Browse For A Printer, and then click Next.

Select Connect To This Printer, type in the UNC path for the printer, and then click Next.

Select Connect To A Printer On the Internet Or On A Home Or Office Network, type in the URL address for the printer, and then click Next.

7. If you choose to browse for a printer, locate the printer from the Browse For Printer dialog box and then click Next.

8. Click Yes or No when prompted to make the printer the system's default, and click Next.

9. Click Finish to exit the Add Printer Wizard.

If you still need help, here's the article I got it from:

Article here
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: