Beer snobs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Beer snobs

So, I've been drinking a lot of different beers lately. I'm not a heavy drinker by any stretch, as I'll usually only drink 2 at a time. I just like having a couple of cold beers, as the sun sets on the day.

Typically, I'd be drinking Newcastle. I know its a "trendy" beer now... but I've been drinking it for years and way before most people even knew what it was. My wife discovered that Costco carried it a while back, so I was a real happy camper with that discovery. However, for some reason they don't carry it anymore... so I've been branching out to some other brands.

Went back to Pete's Wicked Ale for a while... but they stopped carrying that. Plus, I seemed to have lost my palate for it.

Then I tried Fat Tire... but I dunno... it didn't really appeal.

Made the mistake of buying a case of Corona ('cause my wife is still stuck in the 80s) and was reminded what a crap beer it really is.

Then I broke down and bought some Samuel Adams, since nothing else appealed to me. Pale Ale, wasn't impressed. Then Boston Lager... ehhh... little better. Then got a case of the Summer Brews (sampler)... oh my goodness. Cherry Wheat... yummy! Summer Ale... yowza! Got a case of their Octoberfest yesterday... I likey!

But, these new brews got me tinkering around the Net, looking for stuff outside the norm. This is when I discovered... the beer rating sites. Maybe you've seen some...

Who the Hell do these people think they are? C'mon... its BEER! I don't drink it for the damn bouquet... ITS BEER! Mouthfeel!? WHAT!!!???

ITS BEER!!!

So without further ado... I give you one of the beer reviews for Samuel Adams Octoberfest

Quote:
presentation: on tap

appearance: poured a cherry dark wood color with copper highlights in a pilsner glass. (all beers in the restaurant were poured in pilsners, so i didn't say anything.) head was a good 1" when it arrived at the table. off-white in color, and lasted for a few minutes before dropping to a thin capper. laced surprisingly well.

smell: not much to say here. not very aromatic but smelled sort of metallic much like an american micro lager. there were touches of sweetness and fruit, maybe grapes, but the fruit isn't to style. no hop aroma.

taste: again, not overly impressive. there's still that anoying cheap lager metallic taste. it was hard to get past this. there was a lot of malt character, some spice and just a touch of hop flavors in the finish. some noticible diacetyl flavors, though.

mouthfeel: the best thing about this beer. medium creamy body with just enough carbonation. the swallow was moderately smooth as well.

drinkability: this began more drinkable than it finished. the metallic taste was rough. alcohol didn't hinder, but aftertaste was less than appealing. buttery bitterness made this hard to finish.

overall: to start, this isn't one of my favorite styles. i'd like to review this again from the bottle to see if any of the negatives were from the restaurant or the tap. the buttery and metallic flavors made this hard to tolerate, and they aren't normal for this style. better luck next time.

Dude... ITS BEER!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Corona.
Heineken.

Best beers since forever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

1 word! and 1 word only for the best mainstream ale

HEFENWEIZER!
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

or you can go with

St Pauly's girl, Guiness, Haywood 5000, Taj Mahal, Asahi
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Old English 800, is sooooo smooth!!!!! Naw on the real Sierra Nevada is pretty bomb, but nothing beats a Bud!
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Mr.Tricky wrote:
Old English 800, is sooooo smooth!!!!! Naw on the real Sierra Nevada is pretty bomb, but nothing beats a Bud!

Bud????? the man is not eighty years old!!! hes into the classy beers now!!!!
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
Mr.Tricky wrote:

Bud????? the man is not eighty years old!!! hes into the classy beers now!!!!
That is why I suggested Sierra Nevada, and why is everyone always trippin on Bud, it's not like it's King Kobra or something, it's the easiest drinking beer on the market.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Bud gives me a headache, everytime.

I tried the Sierra Nevada also... didn't appeal to me much.

St Pauli Girl is OK... but after having the overseas version (higher alcohol content)... its just not the same.

Heineken?

I think the most interesting beer I've had, was Singha. It was interesting, because I had it while in Thailand (its pretty much their national beer). They don't have any brewing standards over there... so one night, you'll drink beer after beer after beer and hardly feel a buzz. Go back the next night and after two... the room is spinning.
Star
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:

I agree with you JD about it just being beer.

But then I got to thinking. What if a beer fan came on this site? Might they not say

IT'S JUST A TEAM!

Everyone has their own passions. To other people who don't share those passions, they look crazy.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Bud gives me a headache, everytime.

I tried the Sierra Nevada also... didn't appeal to me much.

St Pauli Girl is OK... but after having the overseas version (higher alcohol content)... its just not the same.

Heineken?

I think the most interesting beer I've had, was Singha. It was interesting, because I had it while in Thailand (its pretty much their national beer). They don't have any brewing standards over there... so one night, you'll drink beer after beer after beer and hardly feel a buzz. Go back the next night and after two... the room is spinning.

what were you doing in Bangkok?

Last edited by LaLakers999 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
bynumisking
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:

San Miguel beer imported from the Philippines. You guys should try it. The one in the bottle.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:

LOL j/k

Didn't go to Bangkok.

Pattaya City/Beach

And I could tell you... but I'd have to ask for proof of age, first.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

LOL j/k

Didn't go to Bangkok.

Pattaya City/Beach

And I could tell you... but I'd have to ask for proof of age, first.

25 i can scan my license and send it tell me the details you dirty dawg

giggity giggity giggity goo!!... alllllllriiiiiiiiight!!!!

lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Fat Tire
Kona Amber
Heinekin
Corona
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Some favorites:

Widmer HefeWeizen, Newcastle, Red Stripe, Stella Artois, most Pyramid types such as Curveball and HefeWeizen (Snow Cap is godawful!).

JD: I don't really like the Samuel Adams regular types but I do like the seasonal stuff as well. And I like Heineken Dark better than Heineken regular.

Has anyone tried brewing their own beer? I'd like to try that.

Last edited by Dorray on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
F.N.G.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Back in the day I used to like a really good mexican/spanish beer called "Simpatico"

It was the BEST!!!

But then I would not see it on the shelf and then I couldn't find it ANYWHERE!!!

Has anyone found my SIMPATICO???

Let me know...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject:

i hear ya JD...especially on that godawful corona stuff.

my favs (similar to Dorray's)

widmer hef
red stripe
newcastle (still the best)
heneiken
pyarmid hef, apricot, amber, and regular (snowcap is liquified doo doo butter)

and when you need a cheap keg: pabst baby!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Beer snobs

JD wrote:
Who the Hell do these people think they are? C'mon... its BEER! I don't drink it for the damn bouquet... ITS BEER! Mouthfeel!? WHAT!!!???

ITS BEER!!!

So without further ado... I give you one of the beer reviews for Samuel Adams Octoberfest

Quote:
presentation: on tap

appearance: poured a cherry dark wood color with copper highlights in a pilsner glass. (all beers in the restaurant were poured in pilsners, so i didn't say anything.) head was a good 1" when it arrived at the table. off-white in color, and lasted for a few minutes before dropping to a thin capper. laced surprisingly well.

smell: not much to say here. not very aromatic but smelled sort of metallic much like an american micro lager. there were touches of sweetness and fruit, maybe grapes, but the fruit isn't to style. no hop aroma.

taste: again, not overly impressive. there's still that anoying cheap lager metallic taste. it was hard to get past this. there was a lot of malt character, some spice and just a touch of hop flavors in the finish. some noticible diacetyl flavors, though.

mouthfeel: the best thing about this beer. medium creamy body with just enough carbonation. the swallow was moderately smooth as well.

drinkability: this began more drinkable than it finished. the metallic taste was rough. alcohol didn't hinder, but aftertaste was less than appealing. buttery bitterness made this hard to finish.

overall: to start, this isn't one of my favorite styles. i'd like to review this again from the bottle to see if any of the negatives were from the restaurant or the tap. the buttery and metallic flavors made this hard to tolerate, and they aren't normal for this style. better luck next time.

Dude... ITS BEER!

Reviewing his review: A full body of pretenciousness from start to finish and hints of bitter resentment for placing his order.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Dorray and Ocho look most similar to what's in my house at this moment (except for that keg of Pabst). Almost exactly the same brands...which is strange. I used to have Sam Adams in my rotation, but for some reason now only seem to crave it around the holidays. Not sure what that's about.

Just came back from the Improv in Irvine. I usually go to the Yard House restaurant right across from the Improv because they have something like 200 beers on tap. Good beer + good comedy =

Best beer I've had, but you can't get in this country anymore (although I heard that might change) is from Andechs Abbey in Bavaria. Those monks know what they are doing. I think the Doppelbock is their most highly acclaimed. Damn good stuff. I'd go out of my way to hook up some more of that. I once found a hole in the wall Italian restaurant in the Valley that served Andechs. Those were the glory days.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Dorray wrote:

Has anyone tried brewing their own beer? I'd like to try that.

When I was growing up my father used to brew his own beer. I could not stand the smell of boiling hops. Oh, man. I don't know what he was doing, but it smelled like roasted grasshoppers or something. Maybe it was. Uggh. I can still smell it.

I've never tried it, but I think they have easier kits these days, like the Beer Machine or Mr. Beer, stuff like that. Not sure if those are any good.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject:

I still can't seem to drink beer. I'd rather have a soda. If we're talking a good tequila or a nice scotch though, I'm all on board.
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Dorray and Ocho look most similar to what's in my house at this moment (except for that keg of Pabst). Almost exactly the same brands...which is strange. I used to have Sam Adams in my rotation, but for some reason now only seem to crave it around the holidays. Not sure what that's about.

Just came back from the Improv in Irvine. I usually go to the Yard House restaurant right across from the Improv because they have something like 200 beers on tap. Good beer + good comedy =

Who did you see at the Impov? I saw Andrew Dice Clay last saturday there. He was great, and so was my jagerbomb and half yard of BudLight at Yard House.
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject:

I met a guy at Cook's Corner (a bar down the street from my house) who owns a beer called beerbitch (i dont think thats how it is spelled... but thats how it is said). Its not bad.
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

I hear the Yard House is awesome. Irvine buddies tell me to check that place out.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

JD, what are your main interests in beer? Dark beers? Lagers? something light? Please say no to Coors Light!

Where are you, in CA? I find the best places to go out for a burger are those restaurants that have beers from around the world. Brickskellers in DC, Ashleys here in Ann Arbor. Is there anything like that where you live?

I drink a lot of locally brewed things, but also I like Corona (seriously, what is the big deal? It is plain, does not have a bitter taste to it), Heineken, Rolling Rock.

Just don't ever go for Zip beer. It is this crap beer from Poland I drank when I lived in Ukraine. Nasty crap. I'd rather drink home made vodka than that crud.

If I can get my hands on a Brickskellar menu, I will point out the beers I liked, and see if you can get them where you are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: