No. 1 Concern for 2006-07: Lamar Odom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: No. 1 Concern for 2006-07: Lamar Odom

Now, I'm not a father and I have tried to place myself in Lamar's shoes after his son died. Impossible. I can't imagine the heartbreak and anguish he is going through on a consistent basis. I can honestly seem him say, "I don't want to play anymore." I doubt he's practiced at all during the summer, and I don't blame him. I also believe that one of the best remedies for whatever he may be going through is to do what he loves - play bball. But that first step is the hardest.

That said, I am really concerned that Lamar isn't practicing. Isn't conditioning. Isn't going to have his heart in the games next year at all. If he doesn't come out and play like Lamar in the second half of 05-06, the Lakers are screwed... I hate sounding like a heartless person, but yeah, honestly, what can we really expect for Lamar next year?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Or you can expect the total opposite, no? Where Lamar can play his heart out, for his son. =)
lamarvelousodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:

do you think there will be a moment of silence before game one...? maybe a black swatch added to the unis?
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:

TooCool wrote:
Or you can expect the total opposite, no? Where Lamar can play his heart out, for his son. =)

This is probably what will happen, Lamar has to think positively and I'm sure he can do this.
baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I don't know why its assumed he's not practicing or conditioning. He didn't commit to the usa team because he didn't want to be away from his family because of his loss. But that doesn't mean he's not going to train like he normally does. No one can sit and say how the loss will effect him. We just have to wait and see. Personally I think from lamars track record he'll have a great season. He's always been professional and given his all, and I think this season will reflect that.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

baller wrote:
I don't know why its assumed he's not practicing or conditioning. He didn't commit to the usa team because he didn't want to be away from his family because of his loss. But that doesn't mean he's not going to train like he normally does. No one can sit and say how the loss will effect him. We just have to wait and see. Personally I think from lamars track record he'll have a great season. He's always been professional and given his all, and I think this season will reflect that.

has he? i hope he does use it as motivation, but i dunno. i'm interested to hear if he's been practicing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
lamarvelousodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

lamarvelousodom wrote:
do you think there will be a moment of silence before game one...? maybe a black swatch added to the unis?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Odom will need a month of training camp to be ready. Last season he was far worse physically coming into the season and still managed 15/9/6 for the season.

Physically he is going to be far ahead of where he was last season. I don't expect him to lose any basketball skils and he always stayed in shape during his career.

The question is the mindset. Though, I'm more confident now with all these months passed that he will be ready.

The ONLY dissapointment we have had with him is that with the tragedy he probably didn't work out the way he had planned to on his right hand, jumpshot and strength. I would have really liked to see the results of that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

You bring up a very good point. I can honestly see it going either way. I really hope he returns to form, but we will have to wait and see.
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

TooCool wrote:

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

You say he isnt practicing, but maybe he can practice even more so it gets easier to forget what happened.

Spending more time of the gym will get his mind away from that.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

if you're lamar's wife would you be tell him to stay home and relax with you or to get out and work hard at his job?
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:

if he starts out another lackluster performance like he did the first half of the 06 season... then i think Kupchak will have to think about the lakers future and Odom Trade Value.... Hopefully Odom will be in the right state of mind and get aggressive, angry, revengeful about his son and play his heart out day in and day out
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:

This discussion is way out of line. If Lamar walked away from basketball . . . so what? Your petty little hobby is "screwed" because of someone's real life tragedy? Get a life. Whatever happens on the court this year is secondary to the real challenges and heartaches that many people . . . including basketball players . . . face. Quit whining in anticipation and just enjoy whatever happens. There's more to life (and death) than winning . . . . . . or whining about winning.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
This discussion is way out of line. If Lamar walked away from basketball . . . so what? Your petty little hobby is "screwed" because of someone's real life tragedy? Get a life. Whatever happens on the court this year is secondary to the real challenges and heartaches that many people . . . including basketball players . . . face. Quit whining in anticipation and just enjoy whatever happens. There's more to life (and death) than winning . . . . . . or whining about winning.

NO... The lakers Must win all the time.... Thats how we want it... There are laker fans such as myself would rather see the lakers win consecutive titles 50 years in a row and we will never grow tired of it...

So Lamar Future, we care about... WE as fans will not just sit back and see what unfolds. Kupchak did that in 2005 and look where that landed the lakers. we will watch, monitor, probe, and analyze every part of this 07 laker ball club, because we care. If we didnt care and just sit back and watch what unfolds we will end up like the Knicks... Or even Worse.. This president and its administration
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject:

lol 999
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:

NO... The lakers Must win all the time.... Thats how we want it... There are laker fans such as myself would rather see the lakers win consecutive titles 50 years in a row and we will never grow tired of it...

So Lamar Future, we care about... WE as fans will not just sit back and see what unfolds. Kupchak did that in 2005 and look where that landed the lakers. we will watch, monitor, probe, and analyze every part of this 07 laker ball club, because we care. If we didnt care and just sit back and watch what unfolds we will end up like the Knicks... Or even Worse.. This president and its administration

Nice response. Sorry about the diatribe. I feel so bad for Lamar . . . I have two children, and have performed many funerals for parents of small children. I just feel its innapropriate to discuss the effect of grief on a sporting event. I love the Lakers. I listened to every game of the 33 game winning streak with a little transister radio glued to my 8'th grade ear under my pillow while my parents thought I was sleeping. I can almost hear Chick's tsk tsk saying ". . . let Lamar grieve . . . and work his way through this tragedy. Nothing is as important as the life of child."
bynumisking
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:

ChiefTriangle38
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject:

sad but true, just speaks for the lack of depth on this team

Odom has to play at an incredible level simply to give Kobe time to rest

The role players have to contribute while only Odom is on the floor
Otherwise they will be useless without Kobe and Kobe will get worn out
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Odom will be ready.

He and the Lakers are going to shock the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:

All i would like to see is his d improved a little and for him to average close to 20 points per...you know the guy is money on the boards and can pass the rock. Lets see him dominate....let his versatility take over.

20/9/6 would be killer.
24KB
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:

even though lamar is having hard times this summer u will see him play just as good as he played in the playoffs because i think he;ll use that as inspiration and hopefully dedicate everygame to his son -... iim a new member here and finally made it but ive been reading this for soooo long man i love this site so yea lamar+kobe+ improved smush+vlad rad is not bad - i see the lakers in the playoffs again
24KB
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
LAKERS FOR LIFE BABY
Magics80sLakersGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:

TooCool wrote:

Like Tiger Woods is doing now.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:

my only concern for lamar this upcoming season is him wearing himself out killing people on the low block. go easy on 'em, bro. go easy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: