Firefox 2.0 is the (bleep)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Firefox 2.0 is the (bleep)

http://developer.mozilla.org/

* Inline spell checking for text areas lets you compose with confidence in web forms.
* Microsummaries provide a way to create bookmarks that display information pulled from the site they refer to, updated automatically. Great for stock tickers, auction monitoring, and so forth.
* Extension Manager user interface has been enhanced.
* Search engine manager lets you rearrange and remove search engines shown in the search bar.
* Tabbed browsing enhancements include adding close buttons to each tab, adjustments to how Firefox decides which tab to bring you to when you close the current tab, and simplified preferences for tabs.
* Autodetection of search engines allows search engines that offer plugins for the Firefox search bar to offer to install their plugins for you.
* Search suggestions allow search engines to offer suggested search terms based on what you've typed so far in the search bar.
* Phishing Protection to warn users when the web site you're looking at appears to be a forgery.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject:

But does it not crash every 10~20 minutes like 1.5?

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Firefox 2.0 is the (bleep)

uberzev wrote:
http://developer.mozilla.org/

* Inline spell checking for text areas lets you compose with confidence in web forms.
* Microsummaries provide a way to create bookmarks that display information pulled from the site they refer to, updated automatically. Great for stock tickers, auction monitoring, and so forth.
* Extension Manager user interface has been enhanced.
* Search engine manager lets you rearrange and remove search engines shown in the search bar.
* Tabbed browsing enhancements include adding close buttons to each tab, adjustments to how Firefox decides which tab to bring you to when you close the current tab, and simplified preferences for tabs.
* Autodetection of search engines allows search engines that offer plugins for the Firefox search bar to offer to install their plugins for you.
* Search suggestions allow search engines to offer suggested search terms based on what you've typed so far in the search bar.
* Phishing Protection to warn users when the web site you're looking at appears to be a forgery.
Is 2.0 a beta version or official release?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject:

It's a beta at this point.

And for the record, I have 1.5 and it hardly ever crashes.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject:

I never experienced crashing either (that goes for both XP and OS X).

Any info on when the 2.0 comes out officially?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:

Firefox rarely ever crashes for me too.

Zev, does this mean LG posters can start posting in proper English now with the spell checker? One thing I can't stand is trying to read someone's post when it is difficult to read.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:

I've been using 1.5 and every now and then it freezes the whole machine for about 10 seconds. And maybe once a month or so it inexplicably ratchets up my CPU usage to 100%. All in all, neither of those is a huge bother and it's a great browser. Looking forward to 2.0!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:

I don't have any problems with 1.5 either. Can't remember it ever crashing.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

The only problems I've ever had from Firefox are the result of plugins and extensions. Certain Flash apps, Adobe Acrobat plugin for PDF files, Java applets, etc. are the most likely culprits. I think Mozilla has to take at least some responsibility for the behavior of the extensions since they make them available on their own website, but the plugins are pretty much out of their hands.

The other thing that's wrong with Firefox has been wrong since version 0.1 and that's the memory usage. For whatever reason, it chews up memory like nobody's business because of how it does caching and some other things. Right now, for instance, I have 7 tabs open (none of which are doing anything except this one that I'm typing in) and the browser is eating up 99MB of available memory.

All that said, I love the browser and only use IE when necessary.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
The only problems I've ever had from Firefox are the result of plugins and extensions. Certain Flash apps, Adobe Acrobat plugin for PDF files, Java applets, etc. are the most likely culprits. I think Mozilla has to take at least some responsibility for the behavior of the extensions since they make them available on their own website, but the plugins are pretty much out of their hands.

The other thing that's wrong with Firefox has been wrong since version 0.1 and that's the memory usage. For whatever reason, it chews up memory like nobody's business because of how it does caching and some other things. Right now, for instance, I have 7 tabs open (none of which are doing anything except this one that I'm typing in) and the browser is eating up 99MB of available memory.

All that said, I love the browser and only use IE when necessary.
I've noticed the memory issue too, especially at work (old machine, and not a lot of memory to start with).

Firefox/Mozilla are pretty amazing when you think about market share. They got a little over 11% (IE is at 83%; down about 10 - 12% from 2003-2004).
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
I don't have any problems with 1.5 either. Can't remember it ever crashing.

Ive had a couple of crashes when I open to many tabs. That might have something to do with my memory, but it usually works fine for me.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

no memory problems, but it crashes at start up or when opening new tabs all the time.

Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

As of today at 4:30pm PST I've switched to Opera and so far I'm loving it.

lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:

No problems with my FF 1.5 and the plugins rule, gmail manager, AccuWeather and Adblock to name a few
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:

Opera is also a great browser. I was an avid Opera user up until Phoenix (now Firefox) came out.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
psydesho wrote:

Opera is also a great browser. I was an avid Opera user up until Phoenix (now Firefox) came out.
What are teh benefits of using Opera over Firefox,.. if there is any?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: