OT-Magic johnson on Leno
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

Mr.Tricky wrote:
The Magic man is my all time fav, with Kobe running a close second, but like a previous poster said Magic was no saint....I believe it was Magic who went to Dr. Buss and demanded that Paul Westhead be fired, this after only 2 years in the league.

Thank goodness for that, I consider that a positive. Just as I would if I had found that Kobe had gone to managment and demanded that Phil be brought back. It shows how much they value the Lakers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:

NoHarmNoFoul wrote:

Kobe -- the guy's been my favorite player ever since he came into the league, BUT I've come to realize that a lot of Laker fans don't even like him (whine about him hogging the ball blahblah), and he's one of the more disliked guys in the league.

I would hope (and have stated before) that all Laker fans like Kobe. He is the soul of this team, and to dislike him taints your love of the Lakers. As for his dislike around the league (fans, not players), you can blame the media on that one. Once you get the media jamming any player down your throat, you tend to dislike him.

Lebron and Wade are a perfect example. Many posters here hate them, only because they are media darlings. The same can be said around the league, especially in Kobe's younger days. The league tries to grab the young crowd by pushing young players on them, it was Kobe before, now it is Lebron and Wade. So the next time you feel compelled to write a post critical of Lebron or Wade, pause and think that it is exactly how many non-Laker fans feel about Kobe.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The difference is, I'm not serious about it. That makes it that much more fun to taunt those who are.

And that's what is going to get you in trouble with the mods/admin.

Don't think because you've been a longtime member, it excuses you, or makes you immune to the consequences. You've generally been excused, because we do know that you're a Lakers' fan and have been here, through good and bad times. Seniority counts for some things... but it is not a free pass.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The difference is, I'm not serious about it. That makes it that much more fun to taunt those who are.

Don't think because you've been a longtime member, it excuses you, or makes you immune to the consequences. You've generally been excused, because we do know that you're a Lakers' fan and have been here, through good and bad times. Seniority counts for some things... but it is not a free pass.

I'm not breaking any rules, unless disagreement is against the rules. I never insult anyone, or use inappropriate language. If you add "pushing buttons" to the rules, then I guess things would have to change.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm not breaking any rules, unless disagreement is against the rules. I never insult anyone, or use inappropriate language. If you add "pushing buttons" to the rules, then I guess things would have to change.

Quote:

Fans who use the LakersGround.net message boards automatically agree to abide by the LakersGround.net Terms of Service, and are expected to conduct themselves in a respectable manner. Violation of these terms will warrant a warning, suspension or removal of forum privileges.

"Pushing buttons" and "taunting" do not fall under respectable behavior.

I pointed out which behavior of your's it is, that continually stirs up the natives. You then admitted to intentionally doing it, in an attempt to taunt others, to which I informed you, that behavior will get you into trouble with the mods/admin.
jeso08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:

you're right. kobe has never done anything bad. he is responsible for nothing. he is accountable for nothing. everyone else is evil. he is perfect. his poop cures AIDS.

RIGHT!!

Like I said in all my post; Kobe is Jesus Christ, the creator himself! The chosen one! The Supreme Being!
Shoot …he’s the true Neo!

and for the record I was only addressing your flawed statements. Everyone knows that Kobe was young (17)when he got to the league and is still as stubborn as the come, but to say that they all had equal part in the fallout is completely ludicrous and foolish.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:

Magic was given a free pass for:
-Coach-Killing Paul Westhead a year after winning the title
-Freezing out Byron Scott because he didn't like Jerry West trading Norm Nixon for him.
-Taking promiscuity to new heights. Seriously, Magic was insatiable (ask an old timer about the hat-girls in the Forum Club).
-Cheating on Cookie before and after marriage, and certainly before and after children. In fact, Cookie was a couple months pregnant when Magic retired with HIV. He put his wife AND son at risk.
-His comebacks were more about Magic than the team.
-He quit as a coach while blaming the players.
-He sided with Shaq, probably because they have similar personalities, and didn't support Kobe until late last season.
-He puts his TV appearances on the TNT broadcast ahead of what is good for the Lakers (Kobe comments, Artest criticism when we were "trying' to acquire him).
SQUAD UP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is my boy, but as far as him being loved more than Magic? Hellllll naw. Not even close. Kobe is probally up there with Barry Bonds as the most hated athlete. It's people who dont even watch basketball or even know jack about it that be hating on Kobe.
heineken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I am only adding this just for perspective. Alot of things were different when Magic played basketball. Riley would not for a second allow Magic or Kareem to get their arguements into the media. (at times of their careers Kareem and Magic did not get along) Magic and Kobe both cheated on their wives. I never heard of Magic punching a teamate but that wouldn't shock me. He was pretty intense. Kobe and Magic had issues with coaches. I believe Magic even got his coach fired. It was just different then as opposed to now. The media now has no limits on where they will go to get a story. Although, I believe Magic was and is still the most loved Laker in franchise history. People didn't have to defend him. The media loved him. I personally, like them both the same but for different reasons.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mr.Tricky wrote:
The Magic man is my all time fav, with Kobe running a close second, but like a previous poster said Magic was no saint....I believe it was Magic who went to Dr. Buss and demanded that Paul Westhead be fired, this after only 2 years in the league.

Thank goodness for that, I consider that a positive. Just as I would if I had found that Kobe had gone to managment and demanded that Phil be brought back. It shows how much they value the Lakers.

Actually it happened after his rookie season I believe. He said he couldn't play for the guy.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jeso08 wrote:

I remember him saying something to the affect “that he likes Kobe, but he loves Shaq”.

It’s like he was jealous or threatened by Kobe’s love/legacy in L.A.

Maybe Magic is just old school, and thinks that you win with big men, not perimeter players. If that was your belief, you would definitely suck to Shaq more than Kobe. As for Magic feeling threatened, I doubt that. He is still the greatest Laker of them all.

He may be the Greatest, but I don't think the fans ever loved him quite like they do Kobe. As evidenced by this board, Kobe's defended and loved as if he were LA's very own son. LA has watched him grow up, watched him learn to fail, learn to succeed, go through the rape case, and now him giving it his all to bring them back to the promised land. All this while, for the most part, the media has done everything to discredit their golden boy.

LA watched Magic and loved him as greatly as any city could love it's star player, but it just seems "different" than the love they have for Kobe. Magic was held in the highest of regard by all media members. Kobe doesn't get the same treatment, and for whatever reason, LA fans feel it necessary to defend him against any slight, either real or perceived.

Well, certainly all the young guys without a historical perspective love the new guy on the block more than the guy they rarely saw play if ever.

I dig Kobe, but I dug Magic and West just as much.

The problem with this board is that you guys are all the result of the current political climate. ONLY support the ones you love the most and diss anyone who doesn't agree with you.

How about the day when West, Magic and Kobe can stand in a row and support each other????

How about the day when we embrace the history of the Lakers and appreciate all that it means to us?

You guys that rip on Magic are lost souls.

You support Kobe and look at his mistakes and don't understand why people can't accept him as a human and see the greatness that he brings to the league, but NONE OF YOU can even do it for your own historical man in Magic.

Why in Gods name should ANYONE forgive Kobe, if you all can't even forgive Magic and embrace him as your own???

You all are being hypocrits and your treatment of Magic does NOT make me proud to be a member here. I'm saddened for the community and really believe that others will see how you treat your own and pile it high on Kobe as a result.

This is a very good post, but I must disagree with you. I never saw West play and Magic was my hero. Yeah - hero. I cried when he announced he had HIV.

Magic has fell into disfavor because he hadn't protected Kobe for whatever reasons (business, personal). He had a child with Cookie, but comes up with HIV so everyone knew he was cheating. Still the LakerNation stood behind him every step of the way. Yet, he refuses to say "Everyone makes mistakes. Kobe needs to learn from his mistakes and grow." Something that simple would have saved Kobe's ass in the media. Magic is that powerful. What did he do - he let Kobe fry. I've never seen another athlete under go the same intense media cruxifiction as Kobe Bryant except Bonds. All because he cheated on his wife and was apparently wrongfully accused of sexual assault? He didn't murder anyone, do drugs, etc.... Sexual assault is no joke, but it most likely didn't happen and he surely wasn't found guilty of it.

In the old days, the media wouldn't have pressed the issue because they had boundaries on what to report on super stars. That's no longer true. If they have a chance to burn somebody - it's on. Just ask Terrell Owens. Now he suddenly went from being self-serving and pompous to suicidal. Please.

Magic sealed the fates of many players on the squad. He and the fellas hated on Scott because Nixon was their boy. They hated that trade. (So did I).

He was a hoe. Wait - SuperHoe! Came down with HIV because of it and is now a Super Business Man.

Kobe will never get the universal love Magic recieved. The sad part is Magic never defended another Laker player. The kid is a playing, living legend. Magic just lets Barkley, Kerr, etc... take pot shots at him. Calling him selfish in public - Magic. My dissapointment in Magic Johnson is immense right now.

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

HIV and AIDS was a lot more real in 1991. It was a death sentence. Period. Because of all the treatments involved nowadays, I don't think it holds the same meaning to people.

But Magic got off easy. The only thing he had to give up was his career. But it could've gone a whole lot worse than it did. He exposed his wife and unborn child to a horrible disease. That goes beyond cheating. By the grace of God, Cookie didn't get it. But can you imagine being Cookie, being pregnant, and facing decisions like taking AZT possibly harming her fetus so she could head off a virus that might not show up for 6 months, a year, even longer? Oh yeah....Magic got off way easy.

I say this not to indict Magic on his poor decisions and his reckless lifestyle. I say this because it would've been nice if even ONE time, Magic would've stuck up for Kobe and said something to the effect of, 'People make mistakes. I know I've made more than my share.' But instead, he would just let people roast Kobe and even partake in the roasting himself.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
HIV and AIDS was a lot more real in 1991. It was a death sentence. Period. Because of all the treatments involved nowadays, I don't think it holds the same meaning to people.

But Magic got off easy. The only thing he had to give up was his career. But it could've gone a whole lot worse than it did. He exposed his wife and unborn child to a horrible disease. That goes beyond cheating. By the grace of God, Cookie didn't get it. But can you imagine being Cookie, being pregnant, and facing decisions like taking AZT possibly harming her fetus so she could head off a virus that might not show up for 6 months, a year, even longer? Oh yeah....Magic got off way easy.

I say this not to indict Magic on his poor decisions and his reckless lifestyle. I say this because it would've been nice if even ONE time, Magic would've stuck up for Kobe and said something to the effect of, 'People make mistakes. I know I've made more than my share.' But instead, he would just let people roast Kobe and even partake in the roasting himself.

Thank you for voiceing my thoughts in a condensed and clearer version without the rant.

Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

yeah, Magic was a Whore alright.... a superstar Whore during his playing days and a Media whore now.... anyone remember the rumors that Magic was Rodman Before Rodman and had sex with men too?
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Magic was given a free pass for:
-Coach-Killing Paul Westhead a year after winning the title
-Freezing out Byron Scott because he didn't like Jerry West trading Norm Nixon for him.
-Taking promiscuity to new heights. Seriously, Magic was insatiable (ask an old timer about the hat-girls in the Forum Club).
-Cheating on Cookie before and after marriage, and certainly before and after children. In fact, Cookie was a couple months pregnant when Magic retired with HIV. He put his wife AND son at risk.
-His comebacks were more about Magic than the team.
-He quit as a coach while blaming the players.
-He sided with Shaq, probably because they have similar personalities, and didn't support Kobe until late last season.
-He puts his TV appearances on the TNT broadcast ahead of what is good for the Lakers (Kobe comments, Artest criticism when we were "trying' to acquire him).

this can't be true, Magic NEVER did a wrong thing in his life.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: