Lakers in the News 1/5/12 updated post game: Final: Lakers 96 Portland 107
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 1/5/12 updated post game: Final: Lakers 96 Portland 107

"Lakers in the News" returns. Please have patience with me it's been a while.

Game 6 Preview: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Portland Trail Blazers

Game Time: 7:30 p.m. Pacific TV: TNT

The season hasn't started out exactly as the Los Angeles Lakers would have wanted. They're 4-3 so far. Ask them if they're concerned. They'll flash championship rings at you and tell you important games are played in May and June, not the first month of the season. But their offense has been sputtering, making any defensive lapses (and they've had a few) more critical than usual.

The Lakers' issues have come in two varieties. They've been over-reliant on Kobe Bryant. At first that may seem impossible. He's one of the best players on the planet. He's scored 26 or more points in 5 of the Lakers' 7 outings. He's brilliance on a stick. But the brilliant 33-year-old Kobe is not quite the same as the brilliant 27-year-old Kobe was. He's taking more minutes and more shots to get his production. His shooting percentages are way down. His assists are up but so are his turnovers. He's still capable of carrying this team by himself but that's becoming a less desirable outcome as games and years tick by.

Last edited by Cha*n on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject:

For Lakers, Portland means pitfalls

L.A. traditionally has trouble in the Trail Blazers' home, another history lesson for new Coach Mike Brown. His Lakers play at the Rose Garden tonight.

By Mike Bresnahan

January 4, 2012, 9:42 p.m.
Reporting from Portland, Ore.—
It's that time again — unfortunately for the Lakers.

Coach Mike Brown has no idea what awaits him Thursday at the Rose Garden, a misguided arena name if ever there was one for a Lakers opponent.

The issues are much more than thorny up here. They've lasted almost a generation for the Lakers.

Since acquiring Kobe Bryant in a draft-day trade in 1996, the Lakers are 6-23 in Portland in the regular season, falling to the Trail Blazers year after year, whether rain or hail or the occasional burst of sunshine as their bus pulls into the oversized garage.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Canzano: Trail Blazers-Lakers matchup could be a lesson in role reversal

By John Canzano, The Oregonian

Call them tough. Call them gritty. Call them determined.

But whatever you do, do not call the Blazers scrappers.

I think of it as a compliment. They do not.

Wesley Matthews Matthews cut me off days ago as I tried to tell him that the Blazers will steal some games in this shortened season because they'll real scra – "I think we have as much talent as anyone," he said. Also, Gerald Wallace bristled at the label. And Jamal Crawford talked on Wednesday, not about how gruff and tough his teammates are when elbowing Blake Griffin in the throat, but how happy they are when others on the team have success.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles at Portland

TIME: 10:30 P.M. EST
VENUE: Rose Garden

Even without one of the NBA's best players, the Portland Trail Blazers are off to a strong start.

After a rough first two games, the Los Angeles Lakers also appear ready to again challenge for the top spot in the Western Conference.

Looking to build on a victory over one of the West's other favorites, the Trail Blazers host the surging Lakers on Thursday night.

Despite losing All-Star Brandon Roy to an injury-induced early retirement, Portland (4-1) won its first three games then rebounded from a five-point road loss to the Los Angeles Clippers by winning 103-93 at Oklahoma City on Tuesday.

LaMarcus Aldridge scored 30 points while Gerald Wallace added 13 with 10 rebounds for the West-leading Trail Blazers, who held the Thunder to 40 points on 34.0 percent shooting in the second half.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back Cha*n... you have been sorely missed.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Game 6 Preview: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Portland Trail Blazers

Kitten_tiny by Dave on Jan 4, 2012 10:00 PM PST in News

Game Time: 7:30 p.m. Pacific TV: TNT

The season hasn't started out exactly as the Los Angeles Lakers would have wanted. They're 4-3 so far. Ask them if they're concerned. They'll flash championship rings at you and tell you important games are played in May and June, not the first month of the season. But their offense has been sputtering, making any defensive lapses (and they've had a few) more critical than usual.

The Lakers' issues have come in two varieties. They've been over-reliant on Kobe Bryant. At first that may seem impossible. He's one of the best players on the planet. He's scored 26 or more points in 5 of the Lakers' 7 outings. He's brilliance on a stick. But the brilliant 33-year-old Kobe is not quite the same as the brilliant 27-year-old Kobe was. He's taking more minutes and more shots to get his production. His shooting percentages are way down. His assists are up but so are his turnovers. He's still capable of carrying this team by himself but that's becoming a less desirable outcome as games and years tick by.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Welcome back Cha*n
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Juet the Quotes

Mike Brown: Kobe Bryant has earned Freedom

“That’s why we sit and watch and tape afterwards,” continued Brown. “So we can better understand where he wants the ball or he can better understand what I want on this particular possession or anything like that. I think it’s pretty neat that everybody’s making a big deal of it but it’s early in the process, I’m getting to know him, he’s got the five . . . championship rings, so he’s been there and done that. I’m going to give him some freedom.”
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Welcome back Cha*n

Glad to be back with school finished for a long time I hope.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks and welcome back, Cha*n.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject:

limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject:

Thanks Cha*n!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject:

Nice to see this back again. Thanks!
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Wow, Mod LakerJam, the chief DancingBerry, franchise player limchrc, star player Arbitrary and mod ChefLinda, thank you all!

And, I better get to work!
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Lakers at Blazers: What to Watch, with Portland Roundball Society

January, 5, 2012

By Andy Kamenetzky

The Lakers are still seeking their first road victory, and tonight's venue -- Portland, Oregon -- hasn't been an easy place for the Lakers over the last decade. Still, there's been recent headway, with road series split over the last two seasons, despite playing without Kobe Bryant and (save nine minutes and 33 seconds of pre-injury run) Andrew Bynum in 2010. Perhaps the Lakers can carry that momentum and ruin the Blazers' unblemished home record during this young season.

For some perspective on the Blazers, I tracked down Andrew Tonry of Portland Roundball Society (True Hoop Network). Below are some thoughts from the Blazer blogger, along with a few of my own. And for those interested, here are my responses to his questions about the Lakers.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Lakers should still covet Dwight Howard over Andrew Bynum

Each dunk, rebound and nifty post move that Andrew Bynum makes softens the Lakers' collective anxiety over how well they will perform this season.

But each sequence apparently has blinded some Laker fans to believe the current roster remains fine. According to a poll on Lakers Nation, 56.8% of fans argue the Lakers are better off keeping Andrew Bynum than shipping him off for a deal involving Dwight Howard. So much for that spirited defense I made last season that Laker fans are more intelligent than the general public believes.

OK, I'm just kidding. You guys are great. But it boggles my mind that Bynum's three games, in which he's averaged 22.7 points on 62.2% shooting and 17 rebounds suddenly changes everything, at least among the majority fans who voted in that poll. Bynum's strong start may have surprised even his most ardent supporters and assuaged the Lakers' feeling that they need to make a major move in order to contend for a title. But that doesn't mean the Lakers still shouldn't pursue Howard at Bynum's expense.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Like he always wanted, Lakers Bynum finally has pressure on him

LOS ANGELES -- In Game 2 of the 2010 NBA Finals, the Lakers lost to the Celtics at Staples Center, relinquished home-court advantage, and watched Ray Allen sink a demoralizing eight three-pointers. "But I never had so much fun," said Lakers center Andrew Bynum. With Kobe Bryant fighting foul trouble for long stretches, Bynum became an unlikely focal point of the offense, and he scored 21 points in 39 minutes. "It was one of the only times in a Laker uniform that I felt the pressure on me," he said.

What distinguished the Lakers over the past four years, even more than Bryant, was their dynamic front line. When Bynum was injured, a common occurrence, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom absorbed his minutes. When Bynum was healthy, Gasol and Odom were still more experienced options, trusted down the stretch. The presence of Gasol and Odom, central to two championships, allowed the Lakers to baby Bynum. He rarely felt the pressure because the team was so loaded with reinforcements.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Game 6 Preview: Portland Trail Blazers vs. Los Angeles Lakers

Blazers: 4-1 (1st Northwest Division)

Lakers: 4-3 (2nd Pacific Division)

Game Details: Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR. 7:30 PM. TV: TNT. Radio: KXTG (750 AM)

Projected Los Angeles Starting Lineup: PG Derek Fisher (#2, 6’1”, Arkansas Little Rock), SG Kobe Bryant (#24, 6’6”, Lower Marion High School), SF Matt Barnes (#9, 6’7”, UCLA), PF Pau Gasol (#16, 7′, FC Barcelona, Spain), C Andrew Bynum (#17, 7′, St. Joseph High School)

I didn’t pick Thursday night’s game with the Lakers as the game of the month when I previewed January basically for one reason. I thought the Oklahoma City game was going to be a bigger, and more important test. Having said that, this is a huge game, and because of the way Portland won my pick for game of the month, I’m revising. Portland versus the Los Angeles Lakers is now the game of the month.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject:

NBA previews are Cha*ntastic
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Kobe: “I’d be shooting 40 [times a game if Chris Paul was a Laker]“

In Sunday’s loss at Denver, Kobe Bryant went 6-28 from the field as the Lakers fell to the Nuggets 99-91.

Immediately following the game many people criticized Bryant for shooting too much. Gasol and Bynum had an advantage down low. The Lakers big men combined 56% from the field. Kobe finished shooting a mere 21%

ESPN’s Rick Reilly recently sat down with Kobe and asked him about the criticism, and the people that say he shoots too much:

“Look, I’ve played 15 years. I’ve won world championships. I’ve done all these things. And people still want to talk about this stupid-a** [stuff]? I’m a scorer first … I’ll try to make the good play, the good pass, kick it out when my teammates are open, but I’m a scorer first. I may shoot 27 times. I may shoot 20 times. Nobody complains when I shoot 10 times. You don’t hear ME complaining when I shoot 10 times. It just depends on the game, you know?”

During the interview it seemed as Reilly was playing the role of devils advocate. Kobe seemed to always have a comeback.

The most interesting quote from Kobe came when he was asked about Chris Paul:

“Chris would’ve created shots for me. I wouldn’t be shooting 29 times a game. I’d be shooting 40. Man, what would people be saying THEN?”
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
NBA previews are Cha*ntastic

Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers: 5 Biggest Problems Hurting LA This Season

There are plenty of things to love about the Los Angeles Lakers this season.

For one, the players have seemed to buy into Mike Brown's defensive coaching philosophy. The team has held opponents to just 40.3 percent from the field, which is the second best in the league.

Secondly, Andrew Bynum has made Lakers fans forget about Dwight Howard. His dominance on the glass and in the paint has made the Lakers a contender in the Western Conference again.

That being said, the Lakers need to sharpen some edges in order to come out on top in the Western Conference. This is a work in progress and there's plenty of work left to be done, from finding a new point guard to Kobe taming himself from taking over games.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Ouch

Final: Lakers 96 Portland 107
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Lose Again In Portland, Remain Winless On Road This Season

Lakers Vs. Blazers: Gerald Wallace, LaMarcus Aldridge Send L.A. To Another Loss In Portland, 107-96

Terrible defense in the second half led to the Los Angeles Lakers losing again at the Rose Garden, falling 107-96 Thursday night to the Portland Trail Blazers. The loss was the Lakers' 17th in their last 21 regular season games in Portland, and dropped the team to 4-4 on the season, including 0-3 on the road so far this season.

Andrew Bynum scored 21 points, grabbed 12 rebounds and had three blocks for the Lakers, his fourth double-double in as many games this season. Kobe Bryant led the Lakers with 30 points on 13-for-24 shooting.

Apparent Hall of Famer Gerald Wallace absolutely destroyed the Lakers by constantly beating them up and down the floor, scoring 31 points on 13-for-19 shooting on the night. LaMarcus Aldridge scored 28 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for Portland, who improved to a conference-best 5-1 record.

The game was tied at 66-66 with 6:27 remaining in the third quarter, but Portland took advantage of a completely absent transition defense for the Lakers for a 10-0 run over the next four minutes. Portland outscored the Lakers 32-18 in the third quarter and took an 84-74 lead into the final period.

In the third quarter the Lakers shot 25% (five for 20) from the field while the Blazers shot 56.5% (13 for 23), including three of four from three-point range.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: